Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roller bags

Poster: A snowHead
I need a new bag for all my kit, and I fancy one of the 'roller' design.

I have pretty much got it down to

Dakine 60/40 Convertible
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=4000000813

or
Dakine Split Convertible
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360014206

does anyone have any strong feelings over which is better. I am leaning towards the Split, because it's nicer colours... but if there is a functional difference I would like to know!

I am incapable of deciding if 162 litres is ludicrously large, or if 120 wont even fit my thermals, let alone boots and jackets.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fragglerock, I don't like either one, for the simple reason they won't fit my skiercross/snowmobile helmet (next to my boots) in either of the two compartments. (Big head, 5cm padding, and integral jawguard).

I am looking to replace the 60/40 split with the Fischer Team Large. Shouldn't be too much trouble with the airlines, so long as I don't attempt to take it out of the US/Canada.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, I forgot: it may be worthwhile to go to the shop and load the bags with 20kg of random weight, and tow it around a bit. Some roller bags are pretty unstable laterally on those rollers, and not all skiers find the handle height comfortable.

Yes, the 190 liters is almost ridiculous, but I expect it will have less outward pressure on the zippers than the 110 liter bag (my gear for a week sans helmet and with half a case of wine) and will get taken along more often than the 162 liter bag (too large without helmet, too small with).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If i were you i wouldnt limit yourself to just DaKine, yes they have a huge name, but you should check out the company High Sierra, they have some great stuff, you can check them out at www.hssc.com ill post some bags comparable to the dakine ones tomorow
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The dakine ones can be split into two bags which was a feature I liked, and have not seen in other manufacturers.

I am open to suggestions though!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fragglerock, it doesn't unnerve you that the baggage handlers can do this too? And still keep the 'count' of bags the same?

A 120 liter bag is very adequate so long as you don't have jackets and helmet in it. If you wear your jacket during your flight/train ride and if you don't wear a helmet, I would buy something even smaller, perhaps the Head Monster althugh I do not like soft pull handles as I usually have to bend too low toi reach them and keep the wheels rolling.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fragglerock , i checked the link and i dont think xtr is worth the extra cash normal xt is just fine good stuff. on the other link look at the weight of the bag itself, 4.5kg, nearly 1/3 of ryan air weight allowence!!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fragglerock, we bought the Dakine Split last year, fed up with lugging so many different bags round (although we've really only cut out the boot bags). Really like them, can't remember the size but wasn't the massive one (I think around the 100 litre mark) and was PLENTY big enough for all gear including jackets etc. Although I guess I do tend to pack a lot of clothes into my skis bag as well Very Happy I don't think it split into 2 bags though unless I missed something - or unless I didn't get the convertible......that'll be it! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow and Rock do a few split rollers as well. Mrs H just bought one and it is almost identical to my Dakine one except it has "Snow and Rock" plastered all over it and has bright orange bits on!!
If you can live with being a snow and rock advert it is quite a bit cheaper, especially with the 2 for 1 SCGB voucher (also bought a huge snowboard roller bag - again almost identical in design to my Dakine one)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got an oakley war wagon which is similar it's great but the girlfriends just bought a snow and rock one there aint much difference for that price we got the 2 for one offer too so 100 quid for 2 bags aint bad.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a couple bags by High Sierra you may want to take a peak at.

http://www.hssc.com/index.php4?page=shop/flypage&product_id=273&category_id=1&ps_session=3d77f6956711d8f31691c6e66342ced2
The 4 in 1 cargo duffel is pretty sweet, its not a roller bag like your asking for but it still deserves a look. the two side sections zip off, one having backpack straps making it a removable backpack, the other has a shoulder strap to make it a shoulder bag, the two sections can be zipped together to form a boot bag, as well as having the middle section to throw the rest of your gear in. its probably one of my favorite gear bags.

a less expensive but nice gear bag is
http://www.hssc.com/index.php4?page=shop/flypage&product_id=273&category_id=1&ps_session=3d77f6956711d8f31691c6e66342ced2
which comes in US SKI TEAM and US SNOWBOARD TEAM colors and logos, as High Sierra is the official supplier to both teams

Going with the split bag theme you mentioned about the DaKine,
http://www.hssc.com/index.php4?page=shop/flypage&product_id=310&category_id=16&ps_session=b1aa7d41009bbdf4446a6dd35e1109f5
thats a nice wheeled 27" upright which splits in half lengthwise and is also extremely lightweight

A large almost 7000 cubic inch wheeled duffel which splits lengthwise, and can also make one large bag is
http://www.hssc.com/index.php4?page=shop/flypage&product_id=269&category_id=91b55ce0353eba1b43a326a6e7746ff5&ps_session=a8482f17906b0920587def9bef02b6b1
it also has heavy duty concealable backpack straps for those long staircases where a heavy bag needs to be carried.

here is another bag with much of the same features
http://www.hssc.com/index.php4?page=shop/flypage&product_id=307&category_id=811480683b70af0994b299a9efda5f33&ps_session=a8482f17906b0920587def9bef02b6b1

or
http://www.hssc.com/index.php4?page=shop/flypage&product_id=312&category_id=4934be4e557f3470188a034bf8981b68&ps_session=a8482f17906b0920587def9bef02b6b1

kinda unique looking version of those bags is
http://www.hssc.com/index.php4?page=shop/flypage&product_id=315&category_id=d9be8280f57be66be6043f3b053e4d30&ps_session=a8482f17906b0920587def9bef02b6b1

i know none of these bags say dakine, or northface, or jansport on them, but i guarentee they are of equal or better quality and at a fraction of the cost in stores or online. so you might want to take a look. hope i helped
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have an ice hockey kit bag which cost Canadian $29, holds 80kg of kit - more than a baggage handler can lift - has no wheels, so is also a cheap training facility, and comes in black and white or er... black and white. Separate skate slots on the outside fit your ski boots and prevent them polluting the rest of your gear! Made by Winwell, and available at Canadian Tire or Sports Connection......

Confused
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can get hockey bags with wheel and one stiff side, along with side pockets. I would personally look into that, since they have more room (also much less expensive).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have ordered the split convertible.

I played with a few bags in a shop and it seemed to be the right size and seemed ok to drag around.

I will just paint over the dakine labels, so no one thinks I am a poser Confused

Thanks for all the other suggestions!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
120 litres is plenty. also be aware that most airlines do not allow more than 32kg in any one piece of luggage, with big bags there is always the temptation to stuff them to the limit and then break your back on your way to the resort, happened to me. Shock

there is always some extra space in the skibag. just make sure you do not pack your fav cashmere sweater in there - it might come out shredded by the skis' edges.
snow report
Got one of these a while back for £50, some guy sells them on ebay. Dunno if it's a trendy bag. They're very strong, loads of storage with lots of pockets/compartments that can be locked with padlocks. It's got wheels, pull handle and back pack style straps - best bag i've ever owned. Says it's a diving bag but what the hey!!

http://www.watersportswarehouse.co.uk/ishop/893/shopscr586.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy