Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Looking Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Can anybody recommend any good looking ski/snowboard helmets?

Where can i buy them too?

I know my size so i'm more than happy to buy online in the UK with a good recommendation

- would ideally like a flashy design that doesnt make me look like a gimp
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic thread title Laughing

I advise going for the German general look
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
German General eh....a la Max Beesley maybe?

Thought the title might get some attention - seriously i'm a decent skier and just want to be safe but dont like the look of the Giro/Bolle etc... want something a bit cooler
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gosh! you wait ages for a helmet thread to arrive then two turn up at once.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dave s, I bought a Smith Variant Brim. It's all black with a slight silver dotted line on it, very subtle though and has a peak. Lots of people have commented that it's a cool looking helmet. It has loads of closable vents, a removable liner and ear pads, adjustable size and looks good. Ever so comfortable and a bit more expensive than most helmets but I think it's Smith's top of the range. I thnk it's worth every penny, it does protect your bonce after all doesn't it. I'm a woman but a bloke could wear it easily it's not a women's helmet.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 24-07-08 14:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
where can I see a Smith Variant - you got a link?

anyone else got any other recommendations?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 24-07-08 13:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Protec ace of spades full face type one. Or you could just get a normal one and have some one spray it with cool graphices!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
keep those recommendations coming - cheers!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
#1 son has just acquired a Marker Cheetah and he thinks it great. His is black but there are blue and red (very smart!) as well. He has the Jr version, but they do adult ones too. Unlike many helmets it can be fitted with a chinguard.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dave s, http://www.smithoptics.com/Variant-Brim_72_480.html

See above, you'll have to do a search to see where you can get one from in the UK, I got mine from RX Sport but they don't seem to have it on their website any more.

The only cons about it I would say are:-

Not a lot in the way of face protection, but then most helmets are the same shape anyway.
The vents on the top can be quite difficult to open or close with gloves on, especially mitts I should imagine-something I normally do on a lift anyway rather than when I'm going along, but thought I'd mention it.
The most annoying thing is that it only has one clip at the back for goggles. I wish it had one on each side too like some helmets do or instead of the one at the back because sometimes when the goggles have pinged off when I've put them on the top of my helmet, they are often dangling at the back and get twisted round and round, so you have no option but to take the helmet off to sort the goggles out-a real pain in the ar*e to be honest.

The benefits outweigh these though, I like the fact you can wash the removable liner, I've even washed it in the washing machine on a gentle cycle with some other stuff and it was fine. Oh another thing, the vents can be half open too rather than full which is quite helpful when it's snowing but you don't want the vents fully shut.

Try and find a helmet with clips on the side, that way the goggles always stay in place whether you have them on the top of your head or not.

Other than that, I've worn Bolle goggles with it and they fitted perfectly with it aside from the annoying clip position, and also my new Smith goggles naturally fit really precisely.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cool cheers for your thoughts - still looking for more inspiration!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I know my size so i'm more than happy to buy online in the UK with a good recommendation

Do you know what shape your head is? And what shape all the helmets in your size are? The fit of helmets varies tremendously. I went through the entire range of Giro and Uvex helmets and none fitted, then found a "Red" that fitted perfectly. Buying helmets without a fitting is almost bad as boots.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dave s, have a look at Backcountry.com because they have lots of reviews on there. That way if you see one you like you can see if they sell it in the UK.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Robin S - I must have a very average shaped caucasian head as all the helmets i've tried in my size fit really well - but i take your point
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dave s, You are lucky if a lot of them fit - but still be careful - I am sure Uvex helmets and Red helmets cannot possibly fit the same heads!
snow conditions
dave s, how about these.......www.urgesnow.com/index_en.htm

I have the new skull model, very comfortable, and superlight. I think they are available at telemark pyrenees too. The only downside is they are not sold in the uk yet, so you can't really try before you buy![/url]
ski holidays
I've got a Red Mutiny and I like it. Fits my head well and is pretty damn comfortable. The earpad things are removable, and there's (controllable) ventilation under the brim. Only issue I have with it is that the goggle clip is really easy to lose, and mine vanished within a day of buying it. My goggles aren't really compatible with wearing under-helmet because there's a plastic adjustment bit right over my ear and it hurts after a while Sad

snow report
have you looked at ruroc? darth vadar or stig stylee
latest report
dave s wrote:
Can anybody recommend any good looking ski/snowboard helmets?.....

Never seen one.
snow report
loving the Ruroc range: http://www.ruroc.com/

also like the Urge lids: www.urgesnow.com/index_en.htm nice retro/rough look

and like the look of these Hammer HMR helmets that my work colleague has just recommended - http://www.snowfusion.co.uk/sc/123/Ski-|-Snowboard-Helmets/Hammer-HMR-Helmets.htm ... love the full face models - especially the carbon fibre and camo ones

need more suggestions though - still not made my mind up

do you know if any shops stock the above brands in the North West (UK)? people keep telling me to try before I buy!
ski holidays
p.s. achilles - i disagree, some of these suggestions have been great, plus wearing a helmet is much better than a ski slicing through the top of your scalp (probably not even your own ski either).
latest report
dave s, Oh Dont start all that again Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
oh no... have i started something i shouldnt have done? Puzzled
snow conditions
i am still looking ;-(
ski holidays
hey critch - you arent a relative of Paul Critchley from Kirkham, Lancs are you?
latest report
dave s wrote:
love the full face models

I'm not sure of the wisdom of full face helmets, especially if the chin guard sticks out a long way. A head first twisting fall could put enormous stress on your neck if the chinguard catches in the snow and you twist around it. I'd only wear a helmet with a chinguard if I was skiing slalom gates when it is very likely that you're going to take a gate in the face. The rest of the time a regular helmet sans chinguard seems sensible to me if you are committed to wearing a helmet.
ski holidays
There aren't any...you gonna look like a dork whichever you choose...Laughing
snow report
dave s, I've got a full face Hammer in gold carbon and a camo H1. Hammer helmets are really nice.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dave man check these out http://www.sweet.no/helmets.htm
ski holidays
Full face makes sense if you're likely to be geting into situations where your knee might go through your chin or you like to ski trees with low branches. I've had branches wack me in the cheek and they hurt a lot more when they're frozen.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
I've had branches wack me in the cheek and they hurt a lot more when they're frozen.

I suppose you have to balance the risk of an unlikely but potentially life-threatening injury, with a less serious but more likely facial injury. For most of the skiing I do screwing a landing and pushing my knees through my jaw is extremely unlikely, and I can live with the risk of hitting branches face first because I frequently plough headlong into snow when skiing off-piste and rate the risk of a twisting injury to be relatively significant Embarassed
snow report
rob@rar, I normally land on my face Embarassed so I like full face hemets Very Happy
ski holidays
kiwi1, Laughing Please try not to do the twist as well Wink
latest report
Sweet helmets are pretty cool and POC are pretty high tech
ski holidays
My helmet wins prizes......oh, sorry Embarassed
snow conditions
I am Paul Critchley,

but i am not from kirkham, Lancs

Bury born and bread
snow conditions
I now need A Hammer Helmet I want one now
snow conditions
the Sweet full face helmets are ehm, sweet rolling eyes
latest report
waste of money them helmets, no need for them at all.... Very Happy
snow conditions
barry, rolling eyes Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy