Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg 2008/2009

Poster: A snowHead
off to lech on saturday, the snow report just get better and better snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is going to get much warmer this weekend.

The Avalanche Level has been raised since this morning.

http://homes.tiscover.com/RGN16at/lawine/lageberichte/LLBTirol_en.pdf

FYI

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 24-02-09 14:22; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Neilski, Local radio is saying Lech is cutoff today, the Alberger pass is closed and the route form Stanton is closed, too much snow
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got back from unbelievable week in St Anton on Sunday - incredible amount of snow - wednesday and thursday were probably the best snow conditions I have skied in ever .... as Stanton said earlier, they did a really good job of getting everything open after Tuesday's storm - just an awesome trip considering it was mid-term week and the crowds were around ! CRACKING snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton, How safe are the unprepared routes in St Anton after a large dump?

R
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.checktherisk.com/CTR/%22dangermap_stanton%22.html

Read today Avalanche Report (link couple of post above).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

How safe are the unprepared routes in St Anton after a large dump?

If they're open then aren't they meant to be safe in theory as an open piste from avalanche risk?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton, thanks so certainly around kapall S facing looks a bit risky. where are the zones towards St Christoph are they piste accessed or deep off piste?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you have to ask these questions please stay On Piste Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, I don't go off piste without guides, but do on the St Anton the ski routes. How safe are these?

R
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The red ski routes are safe. Dont ski the Black ski routes on your own (Hinter Rendl, North Face Rendl, Stuben Maroi etc)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, Thanks, last time we went we were guided off Valuga by Harry Wolf from the ski school who was superb. If I went again i would hunt him out or book a UAIGM. I just think this time we do not have the cash and if the snow is good the red routes should be fun enough, it is only a short break.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A warm southerly Fohn is on the way next week, rain also .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, hopefully not too much rain at 1300m, should fall as snow on the mountain, also getting colder twd end of week:

http://wetter.orf.at/tir/reportdetail?tmp=17801

Keeping my fingers crossed that it all turns to fluffy snow on Thursday as I'm heading out for 3 days then!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
luigi, I also have fingers crossed as will also be heading out Thursday... Very Happy
ski holidays
Its a;most Spring who knows rain down town snow up top nothing unusual Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Ski Tyke, good news! 5cm of fresh reported overmight at Lech on the mountain and in the valley:

http://www.bergfex.at/lech-ol-zuers/schneebericht/
snow report
Even better news, 12cm reported in last 24h at the Ulmer Huette (2280m) in the St Anton area: snowHead

http://www.snowreporter.com/schneeberichte/oesterreich/tirol/st-anton.html
ski holidays
Hope it stops snowing by next Sunday - I want blue sky boarding! snowHead
snow report
luigi, keep the good news coming!! snowHead
ski holidays
Ski Tyke, ooops, I looked again, that 12cm was change over last 24h and it was a minus amount, let's hope it was due to compaction of the large snowfalls of the previous two weeks and not melting, eh!

Still good news, there was some snowfall reported overnight on the mountain in St Anton, but just 3cm:

http://www.bergfex.at/stanton-stchristoph/schneebericht/
ski holidays
5cm overnight again in Lech:

http://www.bergfex.com/lech-ol-zuers/schneebericht/

A little snow forecast during today, quite mild tomorrow, then Wed night and most of Thurs, a bigger snow event with snow expected eventually right down into lower valleys. snowHead

Looks unsettled Fri & Sat too:

http://wetter.orf.at/vbg/reportdetail?tmp=19735
latest report
Keep it coming.... in Lech in April so hope the weather doesn't take a turn for the worse and get all warm and sunny on us...!!!
ski holidays
Just back from a week in Stuben with my family and my wife's brother's family. Arrived on Saturday 28th Feb with the temps having risen seriously after the major dumps the previous week or so. Sunday was really warm too and was a wee bit worried about the effect it would have on the abundant snow. However the temps dropped and started snowing Wednesday during the night and hadn't stopped by the time we left on Saturday - in Stuben anyway, as St Anton and Lech recived a lot less snow as far as we could see. Snow in St Anton and Lech at village level was granual, whereas Stuben had lovely snow. More snow forecast over the next week too - so sad being home Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
boabski, you are right, the snow a village level was poor in lech, but up in oberlech and above we had fresh snow almost everyday, and for anyone out this next week conditions will be fab
snow conditions
Neilski wrote:
boabski, you are right, the snow a village level was poor in lech, but up in oberlech and above we had fresh snow almost everyday, and for anyone out this next week conditions will be fab

Agreed, yesterday it snowed all day in Lech, loads of powder almost up to your knees off edges of piste on mid and upper mountain, lower slopes a bit crusty once the fresh had been scraped, probably had melted and refrozen during the mild spell earlier in the week.

On Friday it also snowed all day, we spent the morning on Rendl, loads of fresh off-piste available, though probably not quite deep enough then to fully smooth out previous tracks. Afternoon at Galzig was a bit of a whiteout, had to feel our way down to the Happy Valley, where visibility improved. Much boot-stomping at the Mooserwirt to cheesy Apres music, it was so jam-packed inside, needs to be seen to be believed! Shocked

Never been anywhere with quite so much snow piled up everywhere before, driving over the Arlberg pass with walls of snow 8-10 feet on either side was a surreal experience. Shocked

Anyone there this week will find excellent conditions! snowHead
ski holidays
Just back from a month in St Anton. Really heavy snow falls for the first 3 weeks - think it snowed almost every day. Wore sunglasses only once.

There was a day when it snowed almost 5cm an hour for just about all day. Insane powder everywhere.

Almost got stuck at Lech one evening with the Arlberg Pass closing earlier in the day. Luckily asked the Langen bus driver what was happening and he told us to catch his bus, and then a train to StA. It actually worked out quite convenient, with the Munster to Innsbruck train waiting at the station. A first in 7 years of skiing StA.

Now in deep depression. Planning St Anton for 2010 to ward off even deeper depression. Smile
ski holidays
We were in Lech last week, and Saturday was an insane powder day. Ski routes off the Kriegerhorn down to the village and the Steinmaeder were quite wonderful. Face shots all the way down, and hardly crossed another track. Guess the fine burghers of Lech don't want that pesky snow to mess up their expensive clothing Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ulmerhutte, gortonator, dudes I feel for you... going out next week and will have all that snow and sunny skies wink
latest report
red 27, why do you want sun? It wrecks snow quality. Give me a storm and vaguely reasonble visibility any day. Or a hill that is completely north facing! Enjoy tho - it'll be tough Smile
latest report
Quote:

why do you want sun? It wrecks snow quality

erm.... cos it's a holiday and its actually quite pleasant skiing in sunshine, then sitting outside a mountain restaurant eating lunch and taking in the views!!! wink
snow conditions
SnowGod, toughen up soft pants! NehNeh

The snow is EPIC at the moment, the off piste is amazing, but anyone thinking of giving it a go- BE CAREFUL! Lots of it is sliding about at the moment.
snow report
gortonator, snowHead a bit of both suits me, but I have to agree with SnowGod, I did ski in a total whiteout blizzard in Davos recently - no sky, no ground, no horizon, no sensation of movement at all other then the feeling through my feet. Shocked Good for the technique I think but also made me feel nauseated - a sort of bizarre travel sickness. Also saw people just toppling over all the time at very slow speeds. They thought they had stopped - they were wrong.

Great atmosphere in the moutain huts on a day like that, strangers nodding to each other as if to say - "hey, we're hardcore!"
snow report
A week of sun is worth a foot of powder in my book, especially as I'll be with my wife and she hates poor vis !

Carn't wait for St A/Lech/the Moose etc on Sunday.

I'll be the one on the tele skis with the helmet, sunglasses rolling eyes and the big smile.... skiing Alpine style mostly ! So shout 'hi !' and give me a wave snowHead
snow conditions
I think it really depends on what type of skiing you like doing and your relative ability level.

If you are a piste bashing intermediate who dabbles off piste and in the trees then a week of sunshine is fantastic.

If you get your kicks off piste and nothing else quite hits the mark then its all about timing.

Cold and snowy means light dry powder Very Happy Warm and sunny means freeze / thaw and breakable crust which isnt ideal for off piste. Sad

Sometimes though warm and sunny and springlike corn snow is almost as satisfying as the powder Toofy Grin ,unfortunately being back in blighty we can only summise the weather from afar and sometimes you just dont know till you are up the mountain, so all speculation is pointless Evil or Very Mad
However if I was to speculate wink on the weather for the next week, springlike corn snow off piste will have to do for me, as there definately isnt any significant snow or cold temps on the horizon. Sad
ski holidays
hedley wrote:
If you are a piste bashing intermediate who dabbles off piste and in the trees then a week of sunshine is fantastic.

Very Happy I am the Graham Hick of the slopes - a Flat Track Bully. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Good for the technique I think but also made me feel nauseated - a sort of bizarre travel sickness.

I was skiing in Lech at the weekend and I actually vomitted twice due to this. (Lunch stayed down about an hour!) Never experienced anything like it despite skiing in white out before. Felt like a combination of motion sickness and altitude sickness.
snow report
red 27 wrote:
gortonator, snowHead a bit of both suits me, but I have to agree with SnowGod, I did ski in a total whiteout blizzard in Davos recently - no sky, no ground, no horizon, no sensation of movement at all other then the feeling through my feet. Shocked Good for the technique I think but also made me feel nauseated - a sort of bizarre travel sickness. Also saw people just toppling over all the time at very slow speeds. They thought they had stopped - they were wrong.

Great atmosphere in the moutain huts on a day like that, strangers nodding to each other as if to say - "hey, we're hardcore!"

yep, some sun is nice, but not too much before serious spring skiing sets in. Even for piste skiers, when the sun hits, the runs are messy as buggery by 10am, and frozen solid again by 3pm. Balance is good ....
snow report
Currently in Lech, plenty of snow left Got a bit slushy at the bottom towards 3 PM, but pistes up higher remained good. It was very sunny today, with about 30 mins of poor visibility (You could see pretty far, but could not discern any bumps on the piste). Not too crowded fortunately, except an endless queue at the lift in zug. Curious what will happen tomorrow and after though, as snow is predicted for the next four days, with heavy snow tue-wed-thu.

People coming later should be very happy, how I won't have a complete witeout however. It might sound like heresy, but I pretty much like skiing in the sun Smile
latest report
Last week in St Anton was excellent. There is a massive amount of snow above 1400m and St Christoph is buried even more than usual.

Last week we had new snow, sun and very little wind. The skiing above Zurs and down to Zug was just perfect but my best runs were on the refreezing soft moguls back into St Anton at the end of day. Superb caster sugar bumps that you could just plough through. Absolutely brilliant. I thought the Moose was rather boring this year so we spent time in the Underground which had some great live music. With the collapse of the pound though things are very expensive. Best not to count the cost.

A lot more snow is forecast from tomorrow so the off piste is going to be fantastic. Powder on a bottomless base. Surely this season is going to go down as one of the modern classics ? St A was fairly quitethough, evidence that the recession is probably having an effect there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy