Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pros/cons of owning or renting skis?

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, Thanks for the welcome
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
II, Thanks for the welcome
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, Libère ton talon / tete...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, have sent pm to you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The total cost of owning skis is way higher than renting.

But it is worth the extra cost.

You get familiar with a good set of skis and it builds confidence (which is half the battle).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:

You get familiar with a good set of skis and it builds confidence (which is half the battle).

I think it's more than half my personal "battle"!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold, I think that very much depends on how much you spend on them, how much you pay to hire and whether you have to pay extra to transport them.

Mine were £160 - in our resort it is £80 for a weeks hire, I pay nothing extra to transport them as I drive, so far I have paid for two waxes (grand total of £12 to cover both), and you could argue that I paid to get the edges sorted as part of Sypderjons tutition - but that was a day out anyway so doesn't really count - they probably weren't urgently needing doing at that time. Already I have used them for two weeks and they are all set up and ready for next Feb. By my reckoning next holiday I am more than in pocket, and 'quids in' for any trips following that. As well as having all the advantages of skiing on skis I'm familiar with, that will last me some time and are a high quality ski to boot.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:

Whitegold, that is simply not true, it very much depends on the amount you spend on them in the first place, and how you choose to travel.

D
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly, Well, you bought 'em yet? wink wink !!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Best thing about owning? Irrespective of suitability for your requirements, you can get ski's which match your boots and jacket....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Deliaskis wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Whitegold, that is simply not true, it very much depends on the amount you spend on them in the first place, and how you choose to travel.

D

Agree - Last (main) pair of skis - cost inc bindings £280. Days skied over 4 years 100+ , Servicing cost - maybe £10 in wax. A bit of ducking n diving on air carriage = £50.

Average cost <£3.40 a day plus they now become teles and the bindings recycled.

A pittance compared to my £100 a day estimated cost of skiing rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor wrote:
You can tell it's "summer" can't you, such a long discussion. The only real issue with owning your own skis is holding on to them for too long after technology changes. Sure, buy them if you fancy them, one pro people have missed is that you can sneak a peak at them ALL year.

Whether you have out skied them or skied them out, you should realise that they are only going to last a few years before you are holding back your skiing because you're not using the latest technology... This will be denied by people that are scared of technological development, but has already been proved, anecdoticaly, in this thread.

What technology? You mean the marketing hype?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc, I can see a day when you could be arrested and held incommunicado for over a month for saying a thing like that. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Deliaskis wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

D

Very true, but his statement generally holds for the majority of UK based skiers, who will ski once or twice per year, taking package trips by air.

But cost isn't everything.

Having your own skis means you get used to them, and therefore should be able to judge any improvements in your skiing reaosnably well.

It also means that you can take advantage of any occasions when we get a large enough dump to be able to ski here, or when you happen to be close enough to one of the UK small ski areas (which don't usually have hire skis AFAIK) to spend a few hours there.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, technology = new shapes & sizes not just the usual unobtanium layer with fantasticorium edges that makes the skis the best a man can get.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
Deliaskis wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

D

Very true, but his statement generally holds for the majority of UK based skiers, who will ski once or twice per year, taking package trips by air.

But cost isn't everything.

Having your own skis means you get used to them, and therefore should be able to judge any improvements in your skiing reaosnably well.

It also means that you can take advantage of any occasions when we get a large enough dump to be able to ski here, or when you happen to be close enough to one of the UK small ski areas (which don't usually have hire skis AFAIK) to spend a few hours there.

Agree cost isn't everything. But still maintain that cost can be a big plus factor. We normally ski 2-3 weeks a year, and adding up all owner costs, we're quids in several times over in on all but the DH's latest purchase which he has yet to ski on.

D
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
Butterfly, Well, you bought 'em yet? wink wink !!

No! I even wimped out of going to EB today and asking to test some but we went in afterwards and I wish I had done as they had some that seemed suitable . I am definitely ready to experiment and find out about different feel, but still unsure about buying yet!
snow report
Butterfly, well there's no rush and you should definitely try out some different ones. Whenever you decide to buy, there are plenty out there!
ski holidays
Whitegold, Tosh - especially if you buy well, ski often or ski in North America. The break-even point on my wife's ex demo-skis was 12 days.
ski holidays
The ex-demo K2 True Luv 153cm was on sale in EB at £170, including the test bindings, is that good value? I thought so until I saw on their website that the same ski, (but only available in 160s) seems to still be on offer brand new inc bindings via their online shop at just £10 more. Should I be interested in specifically what bindings are on a ski or at this level of ski is one much the same as another, just a different make?
latest report
Butterfly wrote:
The ex-demo K2 True Luv 153cm was on sale in EB at £170, including the test bindings, is that good value? I thought so until I saw on their website that the same ski, (but only available in 160s) seems to still be on offer brand new inc bindings via their online shop at just £10 more. Should I be interested in specifically what bindings are on a ski or at this level of ski is one much the same as another, just a different make?

That ski (like many modern ones) is "integrated" with a particular binding - in this case the Marker M2 10.0.

So you are unlikley to find it on sale anywhere with no bindings or with different ones.

But of course the ex-demo ski will have had quite a bit of skiing on it. I would pay the extra £10 for brand new if that is the ski you want.
latest report
Butterfly, I suspect that the logic of economic evaluation has little to do with most of us here when we buy our pair(s) of skis and/or boards. We just do it - and familiarity is a definite advantage ime for newer skiers. The economics for each of us will be different anyways ; not just the hire v buy but tuning frequency and diy choices, not to mention mode of transport . In my case hiring would have cost me loads more , but that is just a fortunate by product..

Oh and the K2s ? If the size( 160) is right ( and others will now better than I ) then an extra £10 for your 'own' skis and better bindings ( even if condition only) is a no-brainer imo.
snow report
How do they expect people to buy used skis for £10 less than new? Puzzled That's the sort of thing I've found with well used ex rental skis in French shops, compared to buying online. Really not worth doing.
latest report
The only issue was the new ones (identical last year's models) were 160s and the ex-demos were 153 which I think would a better length, but yes £10 difference seemed daft. I was wondering whether to go armed with a printout and ask them what they'd really accept for the ex-demo version!

I am hoping to be able to justify another trip over and a play with some to find out what "proper" skis feel like compared with Xscape's standard rental kit. I am thinking I would get the rental ones AND the test ones and so be able to try both on the same day to compare.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy