Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

explain flex angles please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i tried on a comfy pair of boots (Nordica SM8 - i have a narrow heel and struggle to get snugness around there). Im a bit of a lightweight girly and im not sure maybe they are too stiff. The flex number (angle?) was 80. Im an intermediate (reds but have a odd shot at blacks), but i only weigh about 53kg so not awful lot of power. Im looking for something that is a bit forgiving of my loads of enthusiasm but maybe not the most consistent style. Any advice much appricated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The higher the number the stiffer the boot, although it's not always possible to compare the flex of boots in different brands because manufacturers do not yet measure flex ratings in exactly the same way. A race boot would have a flex rating of 150-160ish, a stiff recreational boot somewhere around 110, and 80 is a soft recreational boot. My girlfriend has the SM8s and found them a little bit stiff (she's lightweight and doesn't have great technique) so had a good bootfitter (who posts here as CEM) make some adjustments to soften them a little.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Manufacturers do since, 2007/8 measure flex in the same way, with the noteable exception of Lange/Rossingnol.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

had a good bootfitter (who posts here as CEM) make some adjustments to soften them a little.

did he sit on them and bounce up and down a bit? wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

had a good bootfitter (who posts here as CEM) make some adjustments to soften them a little.

did he sit on them and bounce up and down a bit? wink

"soften them a little", not crush them... Wink Wink Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Manufacturers do since, 2007/8 measure flex in the same way, with the noteable exception of Lange/Rossingnol.

so if a boot model is still current, might you find a 2006 and 2008 model, although identical, marked with a different flex value?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
The higher the number the stiffer the boot, although it's not always possible to compare the flex of boots in different brands because manufacturers do not yet measure flex ratings in exactly the same way. A race boot would have a flex rating of 150-160ish, a stiff recreational boot somewhere around 110, and 80 is a soft recreational boot. My girlfriend has the SM8s and found them a little bit stiff (she's lightweight and doesn't have great technique) so had a good bootfitter (who posts here as CEM) make some adjustments to soften them a little.

I have womens' Head S8, the choice of flex is 70/80 (I think), is this really regarded this as a soft recreational boot?? Here's what one dealer said about the boot:
S8 HeatFit Lady
Quote:

Head S8 HeatFit Ladies Ski Boots For Sale Material: U material, Bi-injection cuff and shell
Buckles: race buckle, made of aluminium with micro-setting and macro-setting on the cuff
Technology: 2-Position flex adjustment, canting, women cuff
Inner Boot: asymmetric HeatFit, Bi-Injected tongue, new soft toe box pile lining
Insole: anatomical fit insole
Skill: very good skiers
Terrain: 50% deep snow, off-piste, 50% groomed slopes
Style: very good skiing techniqu
Speed: medium
Flex Index: 7.1 (hard) & 6.1 (soft)
Sizes: 23,0-23,5-…-27,0
Colors: ice/ice

Looking in the current EB catalogue, for example, there seem to be many women's boots with lower flex index values. What would they be classed as, carpet slippers??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bitoffluff, I am about your size (5 ft 2 and 50kg). I have had conflicting advice about my boots, which have a Flex Index of 85. The advice I had was that for my weight, they are too stiff, but I do tend to ski quite aggressively (I have to to keep up with Mr Docsquid). I find that when I am going for it, the flex is not progressive enough i.e. you reach the limit of the boot's flex quite rapidly and then your shins bang on the front of the boot quite uncomfortably. So, given that, I should probably have a boot with a higher flex index, so the flex is more progressive and it doesn't just bang my shins against the front of the boot. I wouldn't think 80 would be too stiff, even for a lightweight.

I guess ideally I'd have two pairs of boots - one with a softer flex for skiing more gently, instructing beginners and for off piste, and one for going fast on piste.

I suppose I'll just have to go with a stiffer pair of boots, but undo them a bit when I'm pootling.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy