Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots - Advice/guidance?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking around for ski boots, and I know (from a mate) that you have to get skis fitted properly, like tight, to get the best performance.

I'm a Uk shoe size 12-13, what sort of size will I be looking at?

And just on the off chance.... Can anyone recommend anywhere to get boots fitted in the North-East?
Any extra info on boots would be greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Murray, pop top and insert foot into can . . . . Twisted Evil

I'm basically a snowboarder and I really lucked out on my ski boots . . . no foot-beds, no adjustments and all-day long comfort . . . but still close fitting and superbly controllable . But that was serendipity and I'm sure that I'll need to visit a decent bootfitter with the next pair.

There're a few things you have to do before opening the wallet.
1: get a pedicure . . . or a least cut your nails
2: treat your Athlete's foot
3: begin treating that crusty nail fungus
4: buy some decent lightweight ski socks

then

5: be honest about the way you ski and the way you want to ski
6: read a few back issues of the DMSS mag or go to the 'ski review' forums
7: make a preliminary list of boots you think that might suit you and your skiing
8: post that on here Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

then

9: read the feedback
10: go and try as many of the final few as you can find.

with a bit of luck you'll end up with a loverly(sic) plastic slipper that'll let you ski like a god all day and dance like yer dad all night wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

with a bit of luck you'll end up with a loverly(sic) plastic slipper that'll let you ski like a god all day and dance like yer dad all night

Failing that lot Laughing

You could always try here http://www.lockwoods.uk.com/ or here http://www.solutions4feet.com/ I can recomend both of these or look out for the snowHead 'heads boot fitting sessions which normally held in October (I think Confused ) snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Linds, not looking like there will be a boot fit day this year, things could change but who knows

Murray, shape and size are the criticals...having a wide fitting boot on a narrow foot will not work well even if it is the correct length, it is all about finding the shape which works best for your feet, ignor the common statements the lange only make narrow boots or salomon boots don't fit my feet, all the major brands make several differnt last shapes to offer widths and volumes to suit a wide number of foot types a good fitter should be able to look at your feet and recomend a model of boot where you can start from, it is not an exact science, different people want and expect different things from their ski boots, but be careful, i would recomend not trying on every boot in the shop, all you will do is cause confusion a good fitter should tell you what ones are right then adjust either the selection or the boot itself based on your feedback

good luck
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, that made me laugh quite a lot Very Happy

Pretty good advice though, cheers. I didn't think you could get different boots for different types of skiing.... Never really crossed my mind.

And CEM, that's sound advice, cheers. I've got quite narrow feet, any particular brands you'd recommend for that?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Murray, listen to CEM, , he knows feet better than you know your own.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Murray, it all depend son how narrow...and low or high instep, and body weight and level of skier etc etc so i could say most of them will make a boot wich may come close but that is not very helpful wink

narrowest/ lowest volume non race boot is problably the boot by full tilt [old raichle flexon updated] next would be a falcon from salomon or the atomic nuke or FR series of last year or a lange freeride, or the dalbello krypton or.... the list goes on... it is not as simple as one boot
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah yeah I see. Low or high instep? Wasat about? Body weight is about 12 Stone 7, and level....
Well, I'm comfortable anywhere on piste, red and black. Can do moguls decently too. Off-piste I'm not brilliant, but haven't really had much of a chance. Getting into freestyle now, not particularly good yet.....

Any sort of boots you'd recommend for that? Like all round but mainly piste+park orientated?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bootfitter-wise, a lot of people slate them, but the Snow+Rock in Gateshead did a good job with my boots last year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mark_s, just wait till you have done another couple weeks in those boots wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM, Why is it not looking like there will be a Bootfitting day this year?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, can't find the thread right now but a while back you said it did not look like it was happening
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM, So we're you quoting me?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Murray, some people's feet are much harder to please than others. Have you found that hired boots have been OK for you? It sounds as though you've done a lot of skiing so you must have tried quite a few over the years. If your feet are a bit difficult it's well worth making the journey to see a good bootfitter.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, indeed i was Toofy Grin

not something I make a habit of it should be noted wink wink
latest report
Murray wrote:
I'm looking around for ski boots, and I know (from a mate) that you have to get skis fitted properly, like tight, to get the best performance.

I'm a Uk shoe size 12-13, what sort of size will I be looking at?

And just on the off chance.... Can anyone recommend anywhere to get boots fitted in the North-East?
Any extra info on boots would be greatly appreciated.

From the first two lines, it sounds as though you are not an experienced skier.

You really should not be looking at buying boots until you have at least a couple of weeks skiing under your belt. You are likely to progress fast enough that boots suitable for your first or second week on skis will be too soft for you fairly soon after that.
snow report
CEM, Don't believe the smallprint. Heard it too many times.
ski holidays
Hmm now I'm no expert but..................... with the level of expertise claimed by Murray, I'm a bit surprised that he's not clued up on boots already; or is this normal?
ski holidays
halfhand, normal for us youngsters wink
ski holidays
arv, Now where did put my zimmer frame? Ah here it is next to my ear trumpet Smile
snow report
halfhand, Laughing
ski holidays
CEM, I too can't find the reference, but I do remember reading the same!! wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy