Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reflective Jackets driving regulation in France

Poster: A snowHead
ooh! Lots of DVD's

sweeties fruit biccies etc
car games, I spy, Stobart/Norbert spotting, etc
Etch a sketch or similar
Drawing book/pad and pencils/crayons
Cushion's
Small blanket to snuggle under
Lap trays (cushioned lap tray even better)
Check the booster seats have cushioned seats! (One of ours had a cover on top of the plastic and no padding!)
Seat belt clip to stop belts riding up.
Toddler wipes for after lunch etc! (invalauble.)
Tissues
Non spill bottles of juice/water.
Car tidy that hangs on backs of seats for all the above!

and
The Golden Rule!
When you stop everyone goes (even if they don't need to) to the loo! and fill the car up. (avoid seperate stops!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thanks Smile

I have TomTom Maps of Western Europe inc speed cameras, which has always been fine getting me to/from ski resorts and airports so hopefully will do the trick! Will get viamichellin routes and have European driving map for backup!

Althought http://www.viamichelin.com/ appears down???

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, yep, down here as well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm?ck=OK is working.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm?ck=OK is working.

Not for me Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and not for me either any more. http://old.viamichelin.co.uk suggets there is maintenance going on.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin,
Quote:

Norbert spotting

Despite being ancient, I have been doing this since I was a child, and still do it. Sad. Embarassed

I guess that your kids didn't/don't suffer from car sickness: that dictates certain other requirements (and books, drawing materials and DVDs would be entirely useless.) My family's enjoyment was seriously impaired by my annual vomit-fest across Europe. Wasn't much fun for me either.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle,
Quote:

Norbert spotting

Our record is 85 in one trip, on-coming only, on same road/mway! Toofy Grin
and excluding the 4 depot's visible on the trip Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, Wow, respect! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wtf is a norbert?????
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, one of these.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, Norbert Dentressangle.

Belgium's equivalent of Eddie Stobart (but I think was going first).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, Nobby has probably the largest truck fleet (8500!) in Europe at the mo from General transport right through to a Stainless Steel tanker fleet. There are depots all over the place including several in the UK. All his trucks carry the distinctive Red paintwork and the logo as on Hurtle's photo above and are thus easily identifiable by 5 and 8 year olds (although the driver usually spots the most wink )
http://www.norbert-dentressangle.co.uk/index.gb.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We tried "what's the colour of next bridge going to be?" on the A-route out of Calais. Was going really well, until I noticed my 5 year old was continually getting it right. "How come you keep guessing it?" I asked curiously.

"Don't be silly Daddy - haven't you noticed the pattern yet? - Red, blue, orange, green, red, blue, orange, green, red..."

I blame it on advancing years.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NORBERT!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7542301.stm
Toofy Grin
snow report
boredsurfin, OOPS! Silly old Norbert! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Triangles and vests (inside the car not in the boot) become a legal requirement today in France.
ski holidays
davidof, What does 'in reaching distance' really mean? Very noticeable today that about 10% of cars have the jackets slung over the back of the front seats!
latest report
Agenterre wrote:
davidof, What does 'in reaching distance' really mean? Very noticeable today that about 10% of cars have the jackets slung over the back of the front seats!

When I went to france a couple of months ago the guys in the ferry queue were pretty adamant that it needed to be very 'easy reachable' i.e. on the back of front seat / side pocket or glove box. I guess the 'slung' over the front seat makes it easier for les flics to spot and thus not bother stopping the driver.
snow report
davidof, Interesting - with a VW Sharan I don't have a boot - the Warning Triangle is in a box in the back. It's inside the car and can be reached by my son sitting in the 3rd row of seats.
latest report
We in the FE clan are so obsessed with Norbert Dentressangle (note: it MUST be pronounced with a cod-Mancunian accent rather than the proper French way, viz. NOAH-BERT DEN-TRESS-ANG-AL) that when we went down to London for Le Grand Depart of the Tour de France last year, we spent more time photographing each other with Norbert than, I dunno, watching the time trial...
snow report
davidof, yeah? I'm sticking with my Swiss "the car was bought with appropriate storage and hanging for all required articles in the boot" story. You won't catch many Swiss hanging some nasty fluo vest over the back of their nice clean valeted vehicle. Not even for the French.
latest report
FastEddie, No! It's Norburt dentist angle Laughing Laughing
snow report
davidof wrote:
Triangles and vests (inside the car not in the boot) become a legal requirement today in France.

Not one UK news story on this mentions the inside the car requirement, in fact the mail refers to storage in the boot!
Confusion will reign

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/3104544/UK-drivers-risk-on-the-spot-fines-in-France.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1064908/British-drivers-face-110-fines-French-police-caught-reflective-jackets-warning-triangles.html
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/64035/Gendarmes-to-swoop-on-drivers-with-no-jackets
snow report
Roger C wrote:
if it's a legal req then i'm sure car hire companies in France will have to BUT we usually hire from the swiss side of GVA as do most others i think.........

Response (Holidayautos) - 02/10/2008 01:11 PM
Dear Shockingmoment,

Thank you for your email. Please be advised that the high visible jackets are sold at the GVA and the charges for the same will be 10 CHF. This will not be provided in the car you have to buy it separately.

If you need any further assistance please don’t hesitate to call us at 0871 472 5253 between 07:00-22:00 Mon- Sun or reply this email.

Regards,

Harmeet
latest report
shockingmoment, I'm not at all surprised at Holiday Autos response. They did exactly the same when hi-viz vests became law in Spain. Some of their competitors supply the vests, some don't, it's a lottery and if you lose you get fined by the police. Take your own and you will know for sure.
snow report
shockingmoment, Holiday Autos is a broker and uses other hire companies , so it will be the policy of their 'supplier' which will actually define what is there.

Holiday Autos primary contract in GVA is/was with National/Alamo l ... and they tell you who is the supplier at the time of booking so that is when you can check for definite.
latest report
It used to be that a warning triangle was only required in France if the car dosn't have hazard flashers (a triangle was recommended but not rquired IIRC); is this still the case, does anyone know?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond, Mandatory to carry a triangle in France as of October 1st 2008, as well as the reflective jackets.
snow report
Agenterre, thanks.
snow report
Every Avis rental car I've had in Italy recently has had a hi-viz stuffed in the map pocket in the drivers door. Been law there a while.
In any case, I got mine as a surplus one from a bulk order by a group of Landrover Club members... afaik they just got a box full big enough for all members and the spares they sold to friends. I think it came from one of those whole sale places like Macro? and cost me a total of 1.50 GBP.
Maybe... if a snowHead has such an account that it's worth doing something similar? All chip in and get them at less than half the Halfrauds price even after postage.
It's definitely law in France, Italy, and Austria, and almost certainly will be law in Benelux, UK and elsewhere eventually. They pack so small that taking one with you when collecting a rental car is not a major issue, and if you drive a UK reg car to Calais, I'm sure the French Police will think "easy target".
latest report
Agenterre wrote:
shockingmoment, Holiday Autos is a broker and uses other hire companies , so it will be the policy of their 'supplier' which will actually define what is there.
Holiday Autos primary contract in GVA is/was with National/Alamo l ... and they tell you who is the supplier at the time of booking so that is when you can check for definite.

Response from HA. This will not be provided in the car you have to buy it separately

Requirement for hivis is France only. Car hire for us from Swiss side, but travelling to France. I'll be taking one with me. Weighs ounces (age giveaway there) and free from work (borrowed, of course).
HA email response for you to choose what you want to do.
ski holidays
I had one "free" with my car service at Nationwide last winter (plus a warning triangle that I already had one of and a torch).

But yes, the rental car I had in Italy a couple of weeks ago also had one (and a warning triangle).

I think the issue is where you are renting in Switzerland but will be driving mainly in France (or any other combination where the country of rental does not have a legal requirement for items that the country of driving does).

Where something is legally required in the car, then it must also be legally required that rental companies in that country include it as standard.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:

Where something is legally required in the car, then it must also be legally required that rental companies in that country include it as standard.

Except when they can't be bothered, quite regularly IME. Taking your own is the only reliable solution.
snow conditions
shockingmoment, Great underlining and use of bold rolling eyes .. but fact is that what I wrote is correct whatever HA may have written to you ... unless of course they secretly employ folks to remove the vests where supplied or know that all the 'real' suppliers will not be supplying hi-vis vests in GVA ( BTW - I dont know one way or the other but HA will use more than one if necessary).

My explanation revolved around how HA work as your initial 'letters' post alluded to something that is within HA's control ... it isnt.
snow conditions
Thanks for the compliment.

We are renting a car, Swiss side, GVA, travelling to France. Hivis not a Swiss requirement. Yet. So they don't have to provide them. How do they know where you're travelling.

HA have stated that hivis will not be provided. You have to buy it. 10CHFs. email from them, in response to a direct question. Couldn't be simpler really.

Also bear in mind - its an opportunity for them to raise a little more cash. Not much, but when do rental companies ever give anything away?

Added italics this time. Which bit of that is not clear? My turn: rolling eyes
snow conditions
Will someone else please explain? .....
ski holidays
Which bit do you want explaining?....
ski holidays
shockingmoment, Holiday Autos don't have any cars to rent, they are a middleman. You pay money to them and they then buy the best deal from a car rental company in GVA. So, yes, HA won't be providing hi-vis jackets, they don't see it as their concern. Your car supplier at GVA, will be able to give you a definite answer.
latest report
shockingmoment wrote:
Thanks for the compliment.

We are renting a car, Swiss side, GVA, travelling to France. Hivis not a Swiss requirement. Yet. So they don't have to provide them. How do they know where you're travelling.

HA have stated that hivis will not be provided. You have to buy it. 10CHFs. email from them, in response to a direct question. Couldn't be simpler really.

Also bear in mind - its an opportunity for them to raise a little more cash. Not much, but when do rental companies ever give anything away?

Added italics this time. Which bit of that is not clear? My turn: rolling eyes

The point is that while it appears to be clear, it is something they have no control over, so they shouldn't be making a definite statement.

Unless they know for certain that none of the actual suppliers they do business with supply a Hi Vis jacket, they can't correctly state that you will definitely need your own.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy