Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Wear

Poster: A snowHead
boredsurfin wrote:
So whats wrong with my 20+ year old Tenson air push jacket, still keeps me dry and warm Very Happy

Quite clearly nothing whatsoever Laughing , must admit I once had a Tenson oufit and it did last me for years.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gregd, You shouldnt need to go up a size, but would suggest trying on as different manufacturers have different fitments Smile

BTW I use a Free Thinker jacket and totally pleased with it, never had a problem and layering is easy. Usually a merino baselayer and mid fleece when its cold, can get away with just the baselayer in warmer conditions Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gregd wrote:
snowaddict, I'm not sure but you could give them a call and ask 0151 556914, If not I am passing there on Wednesday if you called and paid for it over the phone I would be quite happy pick it up and post it to you myself.

That is so kind of you, thank you for that.

But you'll be glad to hear that you're off the hook! VolklAttivaS5 and I have been comparing notes and measurements behind the scenes and it looks like it might be a bit on the big side really. I'm just going to have to get taller and bigger I think.

But thank you again so much for your very kind offer.

Also a big thanks to VolkAttiva and her wonderful efforts at providing me with info.

There are some darn good peeps on here.

Gregd, good luck with making your shell purchase...you'll not regret it!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bones, do you find your FreeThinker jacket quite roomy when you have just got your base layer on with it?

I haven't tried mine outdoors yet, or indeed with any layers on, just a base layer when I tried it on originally indoors.

Because it's a Men's Small (I'm a woman) it is big round the chest, the sleeves are a smidgen longer than I would have liked but I have quite a long reach, it fitted everywhere else though just like my previous Women's jacket, and it did up easily without looking ridiculous despite the big chest.

I imagined it would be perfect with my inner quilted (thin) jacket taken out of my Banshee Triclimate worn as my mid layer, then it would be just right without feeling too big and roomy nor too restrictive.

I guess though slightly on the big side is better because it's when you're on and off the lifts and things that's when you notice when stuff is too small. It's not as if the FreeThinker will stretch so I'm glad it's on the roomy side.

snowaddict,
Quote:

Also a big thanks to VolkAttiva and her wonderful efforts at providing me with info.

You're welcome and hope you find something suitable yourself.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arcteryx - and although not a lardy - I am not exactly slim.

boredsurfin, post a picture and we'll tell you Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother wrote:

Certainly not naked from the back as you shuffled toward the bathroom at Wengen Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque wrote:
stoatsbrother wrote:

Certainly not naked from the back as you shuffled toward the bathroom at Wengen Sad

I don't know stoatsbrother but that is not a nice picture over sunday morning breakfast Shocked Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:

Bones, do you find your FreeThinker jacket quite roomy when you have just got your base layer on with it?

Probably, but I tend to fill pockets with stuff as dont ski with a rucksack which probably makes it bulkier than normal. But I like the fact its close fitting under the arms( well it is on me wink ) and having long arms the sleeves are ok.
First time I only wore the baselayer it felt weird as theres no lining to the jacket whereas all my others have had some kind of lining even if it was just mesh Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 20-07-08 12:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, thanks darling NehNeh
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bones, thanks. Hmmm one thing I did think was a pity was that the vents weren't meshed, I don't like having a big "gap" as a vent. All my other North Face jackets (although insulated ones, not shells) have had meshed vents. Puzzled

I wonder why they didn't do that on the FreeThinker because it has got everything else? Or do shell jackets not have meshed vents at all regardless of brand? Also a shame that there isn't a mesh lining as a whole as you say instead of nothing. Oh well I'm sure there must be a reason, and as I say, if it's as good as my FreeThinker pants then it will be lovely and cosy even with just a base layer. I will of course wear a mid zippy layer as well and possibly even a second Helly over the first when I go to Tignes in December! Brrr! Last year, I'll tell you it was bitter in Tignes. It was the wind more than anything else, made it feel really really cold. I even had to get my balaclava out that week. Laughing

As I have said, this is the first shell I've owned, and not tried it outside yet. With my insulated jackets I've normally worn a Helly/Icebreaker base layer, a second one if it's a very cold day, plus a thin fleece over the top then the insulated jacket.

What do you guys normally wear with your shell because you're missing the insulated bit? I'd rather wear 3 thin Helly's/Icebreakers plus a thin fleece rather than anything bulky.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I like the look of the Nike ACG All Mountain Jacket - can't quite work out it's construction as it states "3D engineered design in 2 layer GORE-TEX Performance Shell fabric for high-end waterproof & breathable performance. Features Dri-Fit brushed mesh and tricot lining".

Maybe someone can enlighten me Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gregd wrote:
I like the look of the Nike ACG All Mountain Jacket - can't quite work out it's construction as it states "3D engineered design in 2 layer GORE-TEX Performance Shell fabric for high-end waterproof & breathable performance. Features Dri-Fit brushed mesh and tricot lining".

Dri-fit is the fabric Nike use for moving moisture and tricot is the type of'knit' basically of said fabric, probably giving it a smooth finish

So your jacket will make you stand out rather then look flat ( 3D effect ) and its got this magical fancy knitted lining that will shift the sweat away, but feel real smooth too Toofy Grin

Thats my take on it, and Im not an expert in textiles NehNeh If it fits well and looks good go for it Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bones wrote:
Gregd wrote:

Dri-fit is the fabric Nike use for moving moisture and tricot is the type of'knit' basically of said fabric, probably giving it a smooth finish

So your jacket will make you stand out rather then look flat ( 3D effect ) and its got this magical fancy knitted lining that will shift the sweat away, but feel real smooth too Toofy Grin

Thats my take on it, and Im not an expert in textiles NehNeh If it fits well and looks good go for it Smile

So is it more of a shell type jacket rather than insulated
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gregd, I would have thought so, it seems to be a lined shell type from your description Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is a thread about what is cool and what is not, really, isn't it...??

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
JT wrote:

Yes, to a certain extent, but also what is functional?
snow conditions
JT, Excellent Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Nike ACG kit is excellent IMV: I've got the AM pants and I've not tried any others that are as well designed/cut and they're very competitively priced (although they do seem to be de-featuring them each year to keep the price from rising). As for jackets, Arc'teryx too for me. Those 2 brands balance form and function superbly IMHO.

JT, it SO is... Cool Laughing
snow conditions
JT wrote:

JT, Maybe you should start an official snowHeads 'cool board' Cool
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
JT wrote:

JT, Maybe you should start an official snowHeads 'cool board' Cool

Like the Top Gear "Cool Wall"? Laughing
snow report
rob@rar wrote:

That's what I meant. Show's how uncool I am Embarassed
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Are you snowHeads' James May? Wink
latest report
Quote:

Maybe you should start an official snowHeads 'cool board'

Laughing Laughing

Noooo...can't do that... too dangerous.. wink
snow report
SZK as the Skig? he does test a lot of skis after all.
snow conditions
JT wrote:

That honestly wasn't what I was thinking about when starting the thread but suppose it was inevitable. Laughing
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Are you snowHeads' James May? Wink

OK, I'll kick us off!
Seriously Uncool-Nevica one piece in Purple/Turquoise & "Dynasty" style shoulders Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Gregd,
Quote:

Seriously Uncool-Nevica one piece in Purple/Turquoise & "Dynasty" style shoulders

No, no, no. It's all retro now "Dahling" Cool
latest report
Gregd,

we really can't go there, everyone will be thinking are they cool, which we all should know, is the first step to ................. Shock Twisted Evil Shocked Puzzled rolling eyes Confused Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, Other than the smell nothing!

I think the IASI instructors use the NF gear to not sure though
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy