Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Wear

Poster: A snowHead
Me and the handbrake are looking to buy new outfits, just interested to know what snowHead's favourite brands & retailers are and why.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
must....resist.....posting..... Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shell or insulated?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guvnor,
Quote:
must....resist.....posting.....

you must post....you must post.....you must post..... Madeye-Smiley

go on you know you want to Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar,
Quote:

Shell or insulated?

Either, I'm open to suggestions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peak Performance, but no specific reason.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gregd wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

Shell or insulated?

Either, I'm open to suggestions.

I switched to a goretex shell last season, after always wearing regular insulated skiwear. Much preferred the shell: more flexibility about how many layers, less bulky than an insulated jacket, etc. I tried on a few different brands and they all seemed much of a muchness. Ended up with a North Face Freethinker because I got a good price on a couple of jackets. Worked well all season, keeping the weather out in all sorts of conditions from hot & sunny through to torrential rain.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gregd, .... rob@rar, has summarised the benefits of 'Shell'.

I 'converted' three seasons ago & would recommend Arc'teryx gear as the best I know of.

I bought a 'Sidewinder SV' jacket and similar SV bib type pants - can't remember the name off-hand - I think it was Arc'teryx Theta SV Bib.

I have used them in conjunction with Icebreaker wool base layers, for three seasons of about 90 days skiing each season. All weathers, all conditions. Apart from my AGA prepared porridge, the best thing since sliced bread ..... Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, [quote]
I switched to a goretex shell last season, after always wearing regular insulated skiwear. Much preferred the shell: more flexibility about how many layers, less bulky than an insulated jacket, etc. I tried on a few different brands and they all seemed much of a muchness. Ended up with a North Face Freethinker because I got a good price on a couple of jackets. Worked well all season, keeping the weather out in all sorts of conditions from hot & sunny through to torrential rain.

BernardC,I'll have a look at the brand you mentioned between you and rob@rar, you are doing a good job of converting me to the other side Laughing

I think I may well go down the shell route to be honest, I have seen a Spyder jacket I like the look of with a zip out fleece liner and I do like North Face too, my mate has had one for years and swears by it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gregd, the Spyder jackets aren't a true shell jacket (unless they have brought out a new jacket) as they have a lining of some kind, even if it doesn't have much/any insulation.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shell, if you are a fashion victim Peak Performance and Norrona seem to be the hip brands. Arc'tryx if you are of the right (skinny) build.

Best retailer for bargains - Decathlon, REI in US or MEC in Canada or TK Maxx for Cross/Helly Hansen/ACG stuff
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gregd, rob@rar, Has hit the nail on the head North Face Free Thinker it is on sale in Ellis Bingham on line at the moment for a pretty good price jacket is amazing and I think it may even be bullet proof!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Great allround jacket even for very wet days or just out and about rolls up real small to

Plus you have the freedom of putting base layer fleece etc underneath or taking it all off and using it on a glacier.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
Gregd, the Spyder jackets aren't a true shell jacket (unless they have brought out a new jacket) as they have a lining of some kind, even if it doesn't have much/any insulation.

Thanks for the info what exactly is a "true shell" Embarassed

fatbob, looks like Arc'tryx is out of the question for me then Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gregd, just the outer layer. No lining, no insulation.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

if you are a fashion victim Peak Performance

Damn Sad
snow report
hey i'm rounded and Arc'Teryx works for me, just got the ladies sidewinder for my chile/argentina trip. . . i was half price too, yay!
ski holidays
Gregd, arc'teryx is goood. The fleece they have kicking about is one of the best/warmest-£150. My other stuff is Eider/Spyder(the more freeride cut stuff none of the classic spyder style sh*t)
snow conditions
jonm wrote:
Quote:

if you are a fashion victim Peak Performance

Damn Sad

Looks like quality schmutter and the Scandi ladies look luvverly in it so its not all bad wink
ski holidays
Quote:

the Scandi ladies look luvverly in it

Yeah, the girl in the pale blue bikini on their website looks very luvverly indeed Toofy Grin
latest report
Can you stop calling me the handbrake!!! Toofy Grin
snow report
louised, ... welcome to snowHeads ... Very Happy

I wondered about 'The Handbrake' ..... ? Laughing
snow report
Can't beat Rodeo or Nevica for me wink
snow report
The jacket I wear most is a Decathlon softshell. In bad weather I put a Salomon ankle length rain shell over it.
ski holidays
louised,
Quote:

Can you stop calling me the handbrake!!!

You tell 'im! Laughing Laughing

Guvnor, rob@rar, Ordhan, Gregd, I'd second the North Face Free Thinker gear! It's brilliant stuff.

I have always used North Face after a lot of my customers in the Army seemed to be a fan of North Face, and after using their insulated Women's Alpine Freedom Pant for a few years, (non Gore-Tex but they were excellent) I wanted a Gore Tex shell pant with a bib on it that wasn't too high up your chest but that goes up your back quite high though to keep the wind/snow out. I looked everywhere and couldn't find a Ladies pant that a) I liked and b) that had the features I was looking for, and not in North Face Gore Tex anyway.

Eventually I thought "Oh what the heck if it's Men's not Ladies" and went for the Men's FreeThinker Gore Tex Pant. I have to say they were absolutely fantastic, so comfortable and actually just as warm as my insulated trousers, even without the insulation, although I obviously wear my Helly Hansen leggings underneath but then again I did with the insulated trousers as well. Brilliant piece of kit and got those pants from Nevisport I think for £200 reduced from £310 as I recall. I've never felt too hot or too cold with those Free Thinker pants on.

They wash really well too, (I turn them inside out so the grey bits don't get scuffed wink ) and because they were so good I found the Free Thinker Jacket also in Men's Small on the Ellis Brigham offer. Again that was £215 reduced from £360 originally I think. Got the nice green coloured one, it looks nice on mind you despite it being a men's jacket really. I haven't tried it out yet and so the sleeves might be a little bit too long for me but other than that it fits a treat round the bod and what a bargain. What I like about it as well is that it comes down low over your bum without it feeling restrictive.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, out of curiousity, what size are you in girlie North Face kit? I would love a Freethinker jacket but have never come across a small one locally.

I currently use a ladies North Face shell jacket that is a couple of years old and has been fab! It is a size medium. I am pretty much a size 12 on top.

I have however found a red Freethinker in red (slope colours) in a size small for £200 at Two Seasons.

Would appreciate any views!

Gregd, go for a shell, by far the most versatile way to go. I've been in a shell now for about 15 years or so and would never go back. My shells have been tested to the limits.

If you want a bit of extra warmth, buy a jacket like The North Face Redpoint to go underneath. Salomon did one last year which I got and it was fab. Sometimes instructing can involve not moving around enough and the combination of my shell and my very low bulk Salomon jacket was superb!!
snow report
North Face Redpoint Jacket for sale for men for £79 with the hood from Two Seasons!

Two jackets for the price of one for less than the price of a full price Freethinker! Bargain - you boys get all the good deals!!
snow report
The North Face outlet store in Bicester had some good deals of Freethinkers, Redpoints and Freedom pants last autumn. I picked up a bit of stuff there, plus a couple of very cheap buys from eBay.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

True 'Shell' Spyder Jackets are available, in the Big Mountain & Venom range, as well as lined uninsulated ones. Gore-tex pro shell or Dermizaz-EV.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got a Spyder jacket, it's a nice length, keeps me at a comfortable teperature and dry, but best of all it has a large number of pockets for me to put bits and pieces in.
ski holidays
snowaddict, I have a Medium Women's jacket and normally Medium Women's trousers as well. Sounds like I'm same size as you at size 12.

I bought a Small Men's Free Thinker Jacket, fits a treat apart from the sleeves as I say and a Medium Men's would have been way too big for me anyway, the sleeves would have been over the ends of my hands! They had Small Men's sizes left at Ellis Brigham as the Mediums had all sold out, but it was £250 I paid, not £215, just had a look at the original receipt, but anyway lots cheaper than £360 for the original price.

I think the Free Thinker Pants I bought were Medium, again just checked the receipt and they were £217 actually not £200 as I wrote earlier reduced from £310. To be fair a Small in the Men's Pants would have been too slim in the bum and the hips for me and probably most women unless very slender, so a Medium was just right and plenty of room underneath for a layer or two. I've worn two pairs of Helly leggings underneath with comfort.
snow conditions
Schoffel is IMHO top quality gear.

Ski wear really depends upon what you are going to be doing.

Eg, if i am just on the slopes for the day then its Schoffel jacket and JCC or North face pants. If its enything else then its Haglofs and Mammut. I still layer up irrespective of what i am doing and just adhere to the layers principle to keep on top of things.

Have found that these have been good to me in the past:

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com
http://www.facewest.co.uk
http://www.alpineroomshop.co.uk
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com
http://www.gaynors.co.uk
http://www.fellandmountain.co.uk

But always think that its worth a trip to a decent outdoors retailer and keep going back, i have been shoping at my local outdoors shop for ages now and as its a independant retailer (none of this Blacks m'larky) they will order things in for me - and i get discount too!
snow report
Another good thing about the North Face Free Thinker gear is that I've seen a few BASI Trainers wandering around with my trousers on.

Ok, ok, not my own personal trousers, but exactly the same ones so they must be good if those guys have them. I expect it has had something to do with the BASI North Face kit offer but I should imagine they could have chosen something else if they really wanted to. wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 18-07-08 20:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Ok, ok, not my own personal trousers, but exactly the same ones so they must be good if those guys have them. I expect it has had something to do with the BASI North Face kit offer but I should imagine they could have chosen something else if they wanted to. wink

I think they are changing from North Face to something else next season. They got a pretty good deal from NF to wear their stuff Wink
snow conditions
Quote:

I think they are changing from North Face to something else next season. They got a pretty good deal from NF to wear their stuff

rob@rar, yes I heard. Thing is, despite the discount it's really good stuff too, mine has always been ever so comfortable. When it's worn out or I fancy a change then I'll try Arcteryx next though and see how that feels.

Thing is, from what I had seen from April and June (not the Trainers' names Laughing -the months in which I saw them wearing their gear! Laughing Laughing ) their stuff was still in very good/excellent condition so it seems a shame to buy more for next season when they don't really need to. I don't suppose they have to buy the latest stuff on offer though.

I am looking forward to when I can get the BASI kit offer, not too long now.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 18-07-08 21:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snobunni wrote:
hey i'm rounded and Arc'Teryx works for me...

Me too.
ski holidays
If anyone is interested, ladies in particular, just called the North Face outlet store at Cheshire oaks and they have Freethinker Jackets small only in red or green at £182
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Ok, ok, not my own personal trousers, but exactly the same ones so they must be good if those guys have them. I expect it has had something to do with the BASI North Face kit offer but I should imagine they could have chosen something else if they wanted to. wink

I think they are changing from North Face to something else next season. They got a pretty good deal from NF to wear their stuff Wink

Was it not something odd like Timberland? I'm sure it was in the BASI news, just stuck in the middle of a report or something.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Thank you so much for the info on your kit.

I'm almost tempted by the jacket I must admit, I'm just worried by the sleeve length as I don't have the longest arms in the world. If only I could find a small in Scotland to try on without going through the expense of buying one, paying for postage and then potentially paying for it to go back. We'll see.

Gregd, that sounds like a bargain! I so wish we had North Face outlet stores up here. I take it these guys don't do mail order do they?
snow report
So we've established that "shell" is the way to go, would i need to go up a size on what I would normally buy to allow for layering?

snowaddict wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, Thank you so much for the info on your kit.

I'm almost tempted by the jacket I must admit, I'm just worried by the sleeve length as I don't have the longest arms in the world. If only I could find a small in Scotland to try on without going through the expense of buying one, paying for postage and then potentially paying for it to go back. We'll see.

Gregd, that sounds like a bargain! I so wish we had North Face outlet stores up here. I take it these guys don't do mail order do they?

snowaddict, I'm not sure but you could give them a call and ask 0151 556914, If not I am passing there on Wednesday if you called and paid for it over the phone I would be quite happy pick it up and post it to you myself.
snow conditions
So whats wrong with my 20+ year old Tenson air push jacket, still keeps me dry and warm Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy