Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair cuts winter routes as protest against "rapists"

Poster: A snowHead
Roy Hockley wrote:
The guy may be an ignorant bollo! but he is a good businessman.

He just copied the yanks, who had been doing quick-turnaround, lowcost flights for years.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitegold wrote:

He just copied the yanks, who had been doing quick-turnaround, lowcost flights for years.

Yes, since 1949 when Pacific Southwest Airlines started low cost flights followed in more recent times by Southwest Airlines.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7528790.stm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold, Sage, Hardly , he has created much of his network along his own principles. Unlike others he has actively sought out departure and destination airports with low charges ( and even subsidies). It is his route network which makes Ryanairr a little different; not that I would consider buying a holiday home in some of their destinations as many seem to have have . Agreed , that shares some similarities with Southwest in that they also targeted new routes ( and an ailing Amtrak) - most folks agree it was that which made them successful.

Many "low-cost" carriers have failed ( any fool seems to make money in periods of growth) ; remember Laker, Valujet, People Express et al ?

I dislike many of Mr O'Leary's business principles but at least he's savvy enough to develop clear strategies and communicate them. I have a sneeking suspicion that his 'dominant' position on some routes may well be his 'coup de grace' ... unlike others who face more competition (e.g Lon-Nice/Paris/Amsterdam/Geneva ) .

Alas for us snow lovers it looks like the traditional 'Winter mothballing' when things get tough ( partly to drive yields up) will hit hard given the additional capacity that has been put on Geneva routes in recent years ... Supply<Demand will mean prices up significantly at a guess.

Edit - Agreed about the short turn-rounds ... US-carriers ( all of them) have done fast turnarounds for donkeys years.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
O'Leary may be following a dangerous strategy, article here:

independent.ie

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If Ryanair are now charging you to pay, then the price of paying must be included in the advertised price (which it isn't as far as I can see) which is illegal. They have already failed to make their website compliant with current rules on misleading pricing, I assume they will get some grief from Europe again shortly.

I have no particular gripe with them, used their flights often enough without problems, but the deliberate attempt to mislead and to get you to buy extras anoys. Mind you, speedy boarding of the bus from Easyjet anyone?

BTW Easyjet Edinburgh to Zurich in Jan is £65 return including one bag (not skis). I await the annual debate at check in as to whether an all in one (skis, boots, pants) is luggage or sports equipment.

Anyone heading to Mayrhofen 21-25 jan?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ghost Dog wrote:
If Ryanair are now charging you to pay, then the price of paying must be included in the advertised price (which it isn't as far as I can see) which is illegal. They have already failed to make their website compliant with current rules on misleading pricing, I assume they will get some grief from Europe again shortly.

The OFT are on the case - full story here

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ghost Dog wrote:
If Ryanair are now charging you to pay, then the price of paying must be included in the advertised price (which it isn't as far as I can see) which is illegal.

Only if they have no way of paying without incurring those charges.

AIUI, they don't charge if you pay using Visa Electron.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Ryanair considers selected ban on checked luggage

Ryanair is considering a ban on checked-in luggage on selected flights in a bid to cut costs after announcing an 85 per cent fall in profits.

Source

Would be a strange thing to do considering the amount they charge for checked/overweight baggage.

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1042055/Passengers-warned-soaring-ticket-prices-airlines-slash-60m-seats-bid-cut-costs.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ryanair cancels bookings by 'evil' agents

Quote:
Ryanair has warned that from Monday it will identify, cancel and refund all bookings made through websites that automatically lift flight details from its site.
The no-frills carrier confirmed that from August 11, it will start cancelling all such bookings, including those already made, and will alert passengers by email.

Quote:
An Abta spokesman said Ryanair’s threat to cancel individual bookings was unprecedented.

“For Ryanair to take any such action is nonsensical and will damage them as an airline,” he said.

Quote:
BAA is suing Ryanair for refusing to pay millions of pounds of landing charges at Stansted. The airport operator increased landing fees by 15% in April, a move Ryanair branded a “regulatory rip-off

snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What is it with you people wanting Ryanair to fail? Whether you use them or not with Ryanair out of the game flight prices from the UK would jump significantly. The more carriers and choice we have the more prices will stay competitive.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grimsby Ranger wrote:
What is it with you people wanting Ryanair to fail?

Charges for this and charges for that Very Happy Very Happy

Attendant: Welcome aboard À RyanAir, sir. May I see your ticket?

Passenger: Sure.

Attendant: You're in seat 12B. That will be £5, please.

Passenger: What for?

Attendant: For telling you where to sit.

Passenger: But I already knew where to sit.

Attendant: Nevertheless, we are now charging a seat locator fee of £5. It's the airline's new policy.

Passenger: That's the craziest thing I ever heard. I won't pay it.

Attendant: Sir, do you want a seat on this flight, or not?

Passenger: Yes, yes. All right, I'll pay. But the airline is going to hear about this.

Attendant: Thank you. My goodness, your carry-on bag looks heavy. Would you like me to stow it in the overhead compartment for you?

Passenger: That would be great, thanks.

Attendant: No problem. Up we go, and done! That will be £10, please.

Passenger: What?

Attendant: The airline now charges a £10 carry-on assistance fee.

Passenger: This is extortion. I won't stand for it.

Attendant: Actually, you're right, you can't stand. You need to sit, and fasten your seat belt. We're about to push back from the gate. But, first I need that £10.

Passenger: No way!

Attendant: Sir, if you don't comply, I will be forced to call the security marshal. And you really don't want me to do that.

Passenger: Why not? Is he going to shoot me?

Attendant: No, but there's a £50 security marshal hailing fee.

Passenger: Oh, all right, here, take the £10. I can't believe this.

Attendant: Thank you for your co-operation, sir. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Passenger: Yes. It's stuffy in here, and my overhead fan doesn't seem to work. Can you fix it?

Attendant: Your overhead fan is not broken, sir. Just insert 50p into the overhead coin slot for the first five minutes.

Passenger: The airline is charging me for cabin air?

Attendant: Of course not, sir. Stagnant cabin air is provided free of charge. It's the circulating air that costs 50 pence.

Passenger: I don't have any 50p's. Can you give me change for a fiver?

Attendant: Certainly, sir. Here you go.

Passenger: But you've given me only nine 50p's for my fiver.

Attendant: Yes, there's a change-making fee of 50 pence.

Passenger: For cryin' out loud. All I have left is a lousy four quid? What the hell can I do with that?

Attendant: Hang onto it. You'll need it later for the lavatory and, if you haven't brought sandwiches, also to access the cold buffet machine.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very good stanton, and there was me thinking it was all down to the increased snobiness that's creeping into the Snowheads forum, oh and because bad old Ryanair is increasing all that global warming CO2 in the atmosphere while it gets the riff raff to 'our' ski resorts.

P.S. Must admit to losing some sympathy with them due to the extortionate ski carriage charges but just factor it into the total price, easy. wink .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ya, because no other airline in the world polluts rolling eyes
snow report
Flying Ryanair from Liverpool to Oslo on wednesday. 4 return flights plus all extras: £270.
As said above; we all owe the budget airlines a huge debt for driving down prices.
latest report
so thats 68 pounds per person... and how much would that be with a normal carrier? 150 at least per person?
latest report
Sage wrote:
Quote:
BAA is suing Ryanair for refusing to pay millions of pounds of landing charges at Stansted. The airport operator increased landing fees by 15% in April, a move Ryanair branded a “regulatory rip-off

snowHead

He's hit upon a cunning plan regarding that, Ryanair want to buy Stansted Shocked
snow conditions
No matter what anyone says I can fly to GVA from NCLE with skis for half the price of a train ticket to London.

People who have so much choice shouldnt complain - just book it if your happy with it !

Next problem please................................
ski holidays
Ryanair fare dump.

Quote:
....one million seats at £5 next month including charges and taxes. It will lose at least £5 on each UK sale....O'Leary admitted the airline was having to "dump" fares in order to fill its planes....

Should be good news for someone.

But....

Quote:
..O'Leary confirmed plans to launch hand luggage-only flights in the autumn. The experimental ban on checked-in bags will take place on four routes: Dublin to Cork, London to Glasgow, Rome to Milan Bergamo and Frankfurt Hahn to Berlin.

If that becomes the norm, Smokin Joe can forget about taking his skis with them.
snow conditions
I gues they really are trying to save fuel Neutral
snow conditions
achilles, Don't know about the other routes but I would think that a number of people travelling Prestwick to Stanstead may want to take luggage, especially families with push chairs etc.

I think Easyjet who also fly to Stanstead (from the real Glasgow Airport) must be rubbing their hands.

snowHead
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Ryanair fare dump.

Quote:
....one million seats at £5 next month including charges and taxes. It will lose at least £5 on each UK sale....O'Leary admitted the airline was having to "dump" fares in order to fill its planes....

Should be good news for someone.

But....

Quote:
..O'Leary confirmed plans to launch hand luggage-only flights in the autumn. The experimental ban on checked-in bags will take place on four routes: Dublin to Cork, London to Glasgow, Rome to Milan Bergamo and Frankfurt Hahn to Berlin.

If that becomes the norm, Smokin Joe can forget about taking his skis with them.

Except Ryanair don't fly Newcastle to Geneva. EJ do.
ski holidays
Timmaah wrote:
I gues they really are trying to save fuel Neutral

And save paying baggage handlers, and save paying for luggage tags. Also speedier turnarounds, getting more value for money out of their crews etc.

snowHead
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, yet Smokin Joe felt impelled to make his comment in a thread specifically about Ryanair. Maybe he cycles (with skis on his back) to Luton?
latest report
achilles wrote:
Helen Beaumont, yet Smokin Joe felt impelled to make his comment in a thread specifically about Ryanair. Maybe he cycles (with skis on his back) to Luton?

Puzzled
snow report
Helen Beaumont, rolling eyes

Smoking Joe in a thread on Ryanair wrote:
No matter what anyone says I can fly to GVA from NCLE with skis for half the price of a train ticket to London.

Since you have pointed out that Ryanair don't fly form Newastle, I presume that SJ was forgetfully treating wherever he did fly from on Ryanair as local - and since he did think of it as local he perhaps cycled there.......
Oh - never mind. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
achilles, you know me - I was pointing out that whatever the carrier we have had it very well over the last few years but relatively speaking the cost is still good value. Very Happy

My main gripe is with people who have access to Flybe, BA, Ryanair, Swissair etc etc etc and still complain that return flights are now £150.00 !

They always make comments about SLEAZYjet ! But it it wasnt for those nice people at Easyjet some of us would only be able to access the slopes via Crystal, Thompson, Airtours etc. Dont get me wrong I have complained about EJ in the past but that was due to misleading information rather than the costs involved in transporting me to the white gold !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am I missing something here :~

If I want to fly Prestwick to Stansted I can only take hand luggage?

If thats the case then O' Leary I won't use your airline ( and put up with your dirty, unreliable planes and your rude, unhelpful staff) no matter how cheap your fares are!

Imagine me wanting to take luggage on holiday! how stupid could I be! rolling eyes

Taxi for O'Leary to the insolvency courts! wink
latest report
robboj, I think they may be working on the assumption that all the routes where they are banning hold luggage are ones that are not used much for holiday traffic. They are all "domestic" flights rather than international.

But they may have miscalcuklated, with people using those to connect to international flights.
snow report
robboj, But that is EXACTLY what he wants you to do on those routes if you want to take heavy clobber.

He has identified specific 'short break' and business routes .. they are not 'International Gateways' of anyone else's 'Hub and Spoke' nor does he have any 'interline' traffic and he appears to be targetting specific discrete markets . I like his innovation and thank goodness that there is competition as others have said, otherwise monopolies just 'milk' the consumer.
snow report
alex_heney,

Spot on, like me to connect to Salzburg! albeit the last few times I have used Easyjet from Edinburgh to Munich instead.

The Prestwick ones puzzles me, it always seems to me to be mainly holiday travellers, the business travellers on a budget tend to use Easyjet who fly to Luton/Stansted from the real Glasgow and Edinburgh.
snow conditions
Agenterre,

Then I'm sure he will be delighted to know I will oblige him!

That apart good luck to him, tbh I've found driving the extra hour and a half from Munich to be preferable to a three hour layover in Stansted anyway!
latest report
robboj, Yep, only time will tell ... ! That's some drive .. Shocked
snow report
Agenterre,

Yep, great drive, scenic and good fun on the unlimited bits of the A8 Autobahn Madeye-Smiley
snow report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7581492.stm
snow report
Then of course there is always-
-Supplementary Oxygen fee
-Fire engine stand by charge
-Emergency announcement supplement
-Evacuation facilitation payment
ski holidays
Sounds like the explorer bloke panicked to me. Understandable, I'm sure, but he shouldn't shoot his mouth off until he's had time to reflect.
ski holidays
The Oxygen Mask system was working fine, its just those that were complaining had failed to put the £2 coin in the Slot! Laughing
ski holidays
Did the passengers have to pay for there onward journey?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy