Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

State of the Euro - Switzerland better ?

Poster: A snowHead
With the state of the Euro would a Swiss resort present better value next season ? Avoiding the big name resorts could this work out more cost effective ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should that not be the state of the pound as the Euro has only gotten stronger while sterling has dropped? Or are you paying in Euro and looking at getting a better rate v chf
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Similar picture for Swiss Franc. Interbank rate has dropped from 2.45 to 2.02 in the last year. Didn't find Zermatt too bad last January though given it is probably one of the most expensive Swiss resorts.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On a similar note, I'm currently wrestling with the dilemma of paying a deposit on an 09 trip now, and paying the balance later (the benefit being less money lost if something goes wrong) or whether to pay the whole whack now (assuming that the EUR will only continue to strengthen against GBP).

Anyone have any long term forecasts for the GBP-EUR x-rate?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Anyone have any long term forecasts for the GBP-EUR x-rate

If they did they'd be a mug hanging round snowheads rather than being out there making a fortune. Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have found Switzerland no more expensive than French resorts, in fact cheaper!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Anyone have any long term forecasts for the GBP-EUR x-rate

If they did they'd be a mug hanging round snowheads rather than being out there making a fortune. Laughing

up next stop 1.50 !!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The pound's been fairly steady against the Swiss Franc recently - something I had missed, I admit. Food for thought for next year. Dam sight closer than the States.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CHF-EUR rate hasn't changed whilst the pound has dropped heavily against both. Makes me think twice about working with UK clients at the moment, but makes holidays using UK firms rather more affordable for us Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch wrote:
CHF-EUR rate hasn't changed whilst the pound has dropped heavily against both. ....

x-rates says otherwise since end of April for the ChF. And the £ seems to have been holding steady against the €, too. Maybe the rot has stopped - though a forecast of increased government borrowing, and an enthusiasm by some to bail out Equitable Life policy holders does not encourage me too much.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles,
Quote:

Maybe the rot has stopped

or possible its rot at both ends as everyone's economy has suffered a little on each side. Has there many job losses in Switzerland I wonder ? I heard UBS were chopping quite a few heads.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty, UBS are chopping heads outside CH mainly, particularly in the US. However, they are still recruiting - the big banks always need good people. Typically nothing's in a bad way here until there are recruitment freezes.

achilles, I'm looking back over a year, not just three months. The period December to March/April was when the pound lost so much value; since then it seems to have stabilised at that level, you're right. My point was that in the period the £ was dropping, the CHF to EUR rate stayed the same it's been for years
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch wrote:
CHF to EUR rate stayed the same it's been for years

the CHF dropped a lot against the EUR from April 2006 losing about 10% of its value before recovering most of this in March 2008. It then fell back again due to fears about the banking sector. Doesn't seem to have done the GBP much good which was trading at 2.50 last winter and is now around 2.0
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone taking kids will get a lot better price on lift tix in Switzerland, especially if you're talking top resorts. About 50 of the big names (mostly ion German speaking side though some French side ones like Villars) have moved age at which kids first have to pay for tickets to 8 or 9 and then usually charge only a third to half the full adult cost until they actually are adults, or there abouts at 16 or 18. Zermatt is about the most generous, kids don't pay a bean until age 10 then full adult price from 21. Then they often have further young adult/student discounts. It has also dropped out of europe;'s top 10 for most expensive adult ticket too, dropping behind mostly French resorts. Most expensive in Europe last season was the BMont blanc regional Pass which came in at 255 Euros for an adult 6 days, the Paradiski pass, with Vanoise express reopening next winter will be 245 Euros for an adult so up there in the top three. Going back to kids prices though the French resorts make kids pay from age 4 or 5 and then only 20% off the full adult price, which they have to pay anyway from age 11 or 12. So in the highly unlikely case a 4 year old wanted a full Mont blan region pass it would cost them 200 Euros for 6 days last winter! Many resorts offer familyy discounts, which sometimes work if you have the requisite 2.2 family, but still the combined discount of 10 or 15% doesn't stack up against the combined cost in Switzerland where they just charge much less for kids, if they charge anything at all for younger ones, and charge kids prices right through childhood.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
eng_ch wrote:
CHF to EUR rate stayed the same it's been for years

the CHF dropped a lot against the EUR from April 2006 losing about 10% of its value before recovering most of this in March 2008. It then fell back again due to fears about the banking sector. Doesn't seem to have done the GBP much good which was trading at 2.50 last winter and is now around 2.0

Hmm, well we've been here 8 years now and overall that time the rate has hovered between 1.50 and 1.60 CHF to the EUR as I recall. Granted I don't look every day but I use the Finance Ministry's official rates for my accounts every month so I thought I had a pretty good idea of the overall movements
snow report
Maybe they are different on the German side Happy

I would say a drop from 1.52 in 2005 to 1.68 in Dec 07 is quite a swing myself. Imagine if you are living in Europe and working in CH, although things have improved recently for the CHF.
snow report
I have an old passport, circa 1967?, which has my bank's stamp in the back (which they used to have to do for currency transactions) showing an exchange rate of 10 Sfr to the pound and 20 French Francs.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy