Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in France - Where?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
david@mediacopy, the discounts are daily, you can get them at any resort in the Tarentasie: La Rosiere, Ste Foy, Val D'Isere, Tignes or Les Arcs with a minimum of a weekly pass from another Tarentaise resort. The attraction of a Ste Foy or La Rosiere pass is that they are less expensive than the larger ski stations.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David@traxvax, Any idea how big the discounts are ? I'm trying to organise an apartment in Ste Foy but expect that we may end up skiing Tignes quite a bit.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure about anywhere else but you can purchase a Grand Massif season for 399Euros - that's not much more than 2 weeks standard cost.
Also have you seen Holiski? There's not many details yet but it appears to be a pass that covers just about all major areas in the French Alps. (holiski.com)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.carteskieurfrequent.com./avantages.htm I found this one too when looking for info on Holiski it appears to be a discount card that is charged as you use lifts in different resorts owned by the company des alpes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
folledeski-
advanced-expert skiers + season = Val d'Isere.

I appreciate that Val is expensive, but have you looked at La Daille? Not as pretty, but I bet it has a fair amount of budget-type accomodation, although I don't know about comparative costs. Furthermore, probably even better access to Espace Killy than Val town centre.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Les Arcs & La Rosiere (we've got a place in 1950) and I can see the attractions of BSM. But you say in your opening post that you don't like the sprawl & bus systems in many of the French resorts & I can't help thinking that BSM won't suit for the same reason. Sure the funicular will get you into Les Arcs, but you still have to get from your accomodation to the funi in the first place, and if you want to ski anywhere else in the Tarentaise it's going to be a hastle without a car.

Of course, if non-skiing options, authentic French atmosphere & cost more important than easy & rapid access to slopes then BSM starts to look more attractive again.

(Final thought- if budget is restricted, you have no car, rate easy access to skiing high on wish list but still want to have option of day trips to other resorts, and Espace Killy is outside your budget have you considered renting in Arc 1600 as you can travel down the funicular to BSM just as easily as up it (or even Arc 1800 as there might be more accomodation there although you will need to get the bus to get to the funi at 1600).

...you pays your money and you take your choice......
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
folledeski wrote:
Starting to plan a ski season in France and looking for resort recommendations.

We're a couple in our 30s, advanced to expert skiers. Looking for somewhere with great skiing (including off-piste) where we can practice our French and have other options for non-skiing days. Enjoy the occasional lively apres-ski but great food for meals out and an authentic (French) atmosphere are more important. Need a "reasonable" cost area given the miserable dollar exchange rate. Won't have a car, either.

To give an idea of likes / dislikes, in France, have skied at:
    Morzine / Portes du Soleil: Liked the town, skiing, vibe, didn't like the bus system to get to Avoriaz lifts (Morzine connections were closed), concerned about altitude/snow

Chamonix / Argentiere: Liked the skiing and vibe, didn't like the bus system, sprawl, and non-linked ski areas.

Samoens / Grand Massif: Loved Samoens village, liked the skiing up towards Flaine, disliked the travel to lift system, the older lift system, and time required to get up to good skiing.

Val d'Isere / Tignes: Stayed in Val d'Isere, really liked but was with self-contained group so didn't get a great feel for the town. Loved the skiing and lift system.

Pralognan: Cute place, way too small.

Original idea was a season in Val d'Isere but accomodations look prohibitively expensive.

Current ideas:
Serre Chevalier
Peisey-Vallandry
Champagny
St. Martin de Belleville
Brides les Bains

Pros / cons / other suggestions - bring them on!

folledeski, If you're gonna do a season, you have to do it properly.

Prioritize the best 5 resorts in the Alps and pick one.

Make sure it has a long season; a high village; high mountains; plenty of steeps so you don't get bored toward the end of the season; and good nightlife.

Don't settle for second best.

You get what you pay for.

My recommendations, in order, are:

1. Verbier;
2. Val d'Isere;
3. Zermatt.

Enjoy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thought I'd (finally) pass along an update. We are heading to Serre Chevalier in three weeks! Very Happy

In the end, it had the right combination of skiing, "Frenchness", and extracurricular activities / culture. We found a great 2 bedroom apartment in Briancon, walking distance to the lifts or ski bus, for a small fraction of the Val d'Isere / Tignes prices. We have our discounted season passes, and the improved exchange rate for those of us from the other side of the pond helps a bit too.

Thanks to all who provided input. By the looks of it, there are quite a few snowHead in Serre Chevalier - will hopefully run into some of you while there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
folledeski, well done!
Have a brilliant season and please - keep us updated!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy