Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BC, Canada - road trip

Poster: A snowHead
Having travelled to Kicking Horse and Revelstoke this season while we were in Banff, and my knee is doing well after the op. we have decided to do something a little different this coming season.

The flights to Calgary are booked, and the truck is sorted, have also booked the first couple of nights accom. and thats it Smile
After that its stay where we want for as long as we want and ski.

Resorts on the list so far

Kicking Horse
Revelstoke
Sun Peaks
Silver Star
Big White
Red Mountain
Kimberley
Fernie
Panorama

These arent set in stone, depending how long we decide to stay at each. Having skied Sunshine, Lake Louise and Norquay this year we're gioing to give them a miss along with Whislter which we've been to a couple of times.

Now obviously its going to be difficult to find all those hidden gems and finer points of a resort if only there for a couple of days which is where my fellow snowHead come in.

Any info on the resorts, or any other resorts to try will be warmly met as will any advice on accom. or the area in general.

This will be all DIY and an interesting challenge. Especially from the packing Shocked Obviously we will be travelling a little lighter than normal, but the truck should give us space to spread the gear around without having to pack/unpack every couple of days or so wink

So if anyone can offer any information that would be great - going on the 21st Feb so hopefully plenty of snow without being too cold, and just missing Presidents Week, which may effect some resorts.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitewater?

Dips south of the border to Whitefish and 49 North?

Be prepared to bin off the Okanagan if the Kootenays/Selkirks are good.

As for the finer points take first chair and see where the locals head to.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitewater would be my addition. Possibly some cheeky heli/catskiing in there if you can stretch. Revvy will be ace with new North Bowl lift and Gondola Extension (hopefully better parking). DO NOT stay at the Canyon Motor Inn!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd also maybe miss Kimberly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Red is awesome, slow lifts but the best trees anywhere, you can easily spend a week there as there is plenty of terrain and most of the place is left au natural, rossland is also a realy really nice little town. We also went to 49 degrees, was nearly empty, nice mountain but a bit boring after the adrenaline of red. Whitewater is bout 50 mins drive towards nelson, small area but again awesome tree skiiig and get sreally big dumps, up in the same league as revelstoke for annual snow. Worth a day trip from red/rossland.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bones,

The thing about a road trip is that you can spend too much time travelling. Depending on your duration, but if typically 2 weeks you may only want to have two travel days not withstanding the 1st and last days or you will be forever packing and on the move. I'd base 2 weeks around 3-4 resorts max. This would mean of course, that you need to take care on your picks and make sure they are worth spending 3-4 days there.

We have done this a lot in Switzerland and if you have a 3 hour road trip then that can write off the day in dumping gear, hotel stuff, lift pass etc etc.. all adds up and if you are tired you might not bother for the expense of the lift pass.

Just a pointer and not to assume that you will sample all the goodies on offer. Pace yourself and be realistic
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We di a 2 week road trip from Calgary. The itinerary was:

Arrive calgary sat evening after a delayed flight. Head off to Fernie. Realise we're heading the wrong way and turn round. Arrive Fernie in the middle of the night rather than later evening as planned

3 days in Fernie. Head off to Panorama

2 days in Panorama Head off to Golden

2 days in Kicking Horse. Head off to Lake Louise

Ski 1 days @ Lake Louise, drive to Banff

4 nights in Banff, with 2 days @ Sunshine, 1 @ Norquay and 1 more at Lake Louise.

Final day, no skiing, just head back to Calgary

All the inter-resort travelling was done straight after skiing - this usually meant packing suitcases into van before skiing and being ready to miss the apres in order to reach the destination at a reasonable time.

did we enjoy it? Hell yeah. Would I do it again? No, or at least not so many resorts in so little time. I'd love to spen 3 months doing a road trip of a week here then a fortnight there etc, but for a 2 week trip I'd aim for 2 or maybe 3 bases - fopr Clagary choose any 3 from Red, Fernie, Kicking HOrse and Revelstoke. I'd say the okanagan resorts are just that little bit too far from Clagary for a road trip
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd personally ditch Kimberly and try and fit Castle Mountain in instead...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All snow dependent of course but there is a circular route going anti-clockwise from Calgary that you could look into.

If you get to a resort and it's good and then it starts puking mid-afternoon you can stay put without feeling the pressure of having to move on.

Aim to hit as many resorts as you can, and if you don't it's because the one you're in is where it's happening.

From Calgary you could head to Castle Mountain http://www.skicastle.ca/index.cfm

Fernie http://www.skifernie.com/

Whitewater http://www.skiwhitewater.com/

Red Mountain http://www.redresort.com/

Take the ferry across to Revelstoke via Naksup and Shelter Bay (this is the longest leg and could be a great time for a day off snow) http://www.revelstokemountainresort.com/

Kicking Horse http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/

And maybe Sunshine on the way home if they're getting the goods http://www.skibanff.com/

Think that's a realisitc plan to get at least 1 day at each of the resorts highlighted and 2 or more at some.

Enjoy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bones, if you looking for accomodation in Panorama try Earl Grey Lodge, its a lovely little place, run by a great couple and the food is incredible.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, You don't need travel days with the target list - just a willingness to drive for 2-3 hours once you are done for the day

We did a trip a couple of years ago - Baker-Alpental-Red-Whitewater-Fernie-Kicking Horse- Louise-Silver Star without a day off.

Longest haul was Snoqualmie pass to Spokane across the Washington plains
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys so far for the imput. fatbob, Thats the general idea Madeye-Smiley Worst part I think so far is getting to and from SunPeaks.

snobunni, Thanks for the heads on this, will bear it in mind.

Trip length is two weeks, heading to Kicking Horse first for a couple of nights. Should be practical after the flight, having driven there before, so have an idea of the road. Revelstoke next enjoying the time difference enroute so no rush. After that mostly each resort next is around 2-3 hours drive I recon depending on conditions. As I said only tricky park might be Sun Peaks and if neccessary can miss it out.

I know it maybe tiring and some things like Apres may be on a back burner at times but just fancy something different. The packing/unpacking might be a pain but with forthought and leaving stuff in the car it can be easier, it just wont be the traditional 'arrive in resort and dump everything' type of holiday Smile

Also Looking at a map of where we are heading all the resorts seem generally on a circular route leaving and heading back to Calgary. Homeward flight is around 6pm giving us time to drive to Calgary on the last Saturday, giving us a total of 13 days hard skiing. It just depends where we spend each of those days Toofy Grin

Mike Pow, Isnt that route clockwise wink But does sound good, as yet only the flights are paid for - truck is obviously booked and the room at Golden is reserved but open to date change.

Im open to all advice and recomendations, and will look at factoring Whitewater in too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
leaving stuff in the car it can be easier

Tip: always take your boots into your room. I left them in the van in golden and they froze - it was gone 10 am before they'd heated enough to be flexible enough to get my feet in them....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or, forget about hotel. Just rent an RV and live out of it.

The only potential problem of such road trip is the weather. If it snows, which you surely wish it does, the driving part can suddenly become twice as long. Though since you're talking about "we" so there're alternate drivers and the passengers gets to have SOME rest.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes it is. I'm a retard.
snow report
Bones, it's about 3 hours to Sun Peaks from Big White. Silver Star is sort of on the way so would be less time if travelling to/from there. If you don't have enough time/wish to spend more time at another resort, Sun Peaks could easily be left out though - it's not worth making too much effort to get there, IMO.
snow conditions
Bones, have to agree with Cathy at least all the locals talked us out of Sun Peaks and that was with free tickets, of course it was snowing at home but not up the Okanogan Valley. Silver Star was quite fun,, Big White was ok, take the Kettle River to Red Mtn unless you are going to ski Apex, but I don't think it was worth the road congestion through Kelowna to Pinticton.

Whitewater can be fun but the best skiing is away from the lifts and you'll need a local guide, Nelson is a fun town just don't plan on a Sunday stay they do roll up the streets that night.

Agree that Kimberley can be skipped but Castle is worth the extra drive. If you were going to cross the border I'd hit Schweitzer or Turner Mtn (only open Fri-Sun great Friday Pow) but don't think 49 Degrees North worth the border hassle no high speed lifts, limited blacks, and no on Mtn lodging.
snow conditions
nbt, Saw the results of boots left in car over night before Very Happy Have always took ours into the room.

abc, Could probably sleep in the vehicle, if we get the same a last year - Suburban, just for the two of us !!

cathy, pinhead, Thankss for the info on Sun Peaks, and other tips especially regarding Kettle River Smile . I take it you dont really think Sun Peaks is worth the hassle, might be better staying another day somehwre else or trying to factor in whitewater. Not really planning on heading down over the Border.

Its an interesting pastime planning the trip, with no real agenda, just taking the days as they fall, dependant on weather. Just so long as we can make the flight home and have some great fun in between. Looking forward to this trip, having always wanted to do something like it for a change Smile
ski holidays
Bones wrote:
cathy, pinhead, Thankss for the info on Sun Peaks, and other tips especially regarding Kettle River Smile . I take it you dont really think Sun Peaks is worth the hassle, might be better staying another day somehwre else or trying to factor in whitewater.

Well, I think it's always good to try new resorts - you don't know until you've been there and your take on it might be very different from mine. I've had two trips of a week each there and it is nice, but the skiing is not really anything special, IMO. I would say, if its going to be a hassle getting there and you're really enjoying another resort and want to spend a bit longer there, then don't bother with SP.
snow conditions
cathy wrote:
Bones wrote:
cathy, pinhead, Thankss for the info on Sun Peaks, and other tips especially regarding Kettle River Smile . I take it you dont really think Sun Peaks is worth the hassle, might be better staying another day somehwre else or trying to factor in whitewater.

Well, I think it's always good to try new resorts - you don't know until you've been there and your take on it might be very different from mine. I've had two trips of a week each there and it is nice, but the skiing is not really anything special, IMO. I would say, if its going to be a hassle getting there and you're really enjoying another resort and want to spend a bit longer there, then don't bother with SP.

A contrast to the English bloke pimping it at the ski show last year then who claimed it was the most wonderful resort on earth even when we pointed to the lack of challenging terrain on the piste map wink We intended to drop in a while back but blizzrd around Salmon Arm dictated that the drive to Vernon looked a cushier option than along to Kamloops. As a result of said blizzard we probably got an unrealistically high ranking view of Silver Star (16+ laps of the backside with decent snow) when in relality it is probably similar to Sun Peaks.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
As a result of said blizzard we probably got an unrealistically high ranking view of Silver Star (16+ laps of the backside with decent snow) when in relality it is probably similar to Sun Peaks.

Nothing at Sun Peaks to compare with the backside at the Star IMO. Nothing really wrong with Sun Peaks. Just that if I want Tyrolean it's a lot easier to go to Austria for the real thing than to cross the atlatic for a mocked up version. I like my Canada to be Canadian!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy