Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot problem

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Bought my first pair of ski boots in march from a local ski store (Salomon Mission 10's) they measured my feet gave me footbeds asked my ski level and aspirations etc and i have little problem with the fit no pain or anything. Skiied with them for the first time in april in Tignes for 3 days and skiied in them fine. I went on a warren smith academy afternoon at Xscape castleford in May and the instructor, Rob, said they may be holding back my skiing, as they have very little ankle flex. They hardly flex at all at the ankle even when I lean all my weight forward.Is there anything that can be done to the boots to increase the flex or do I just have to put up with it, or shell out another £150.00-£200.00 on different boots?
By the way I am a low intermediate having done about 10 days on snow plus about 15 hrs at Xscape and am doing parallel turns, happy on all blues and easier reds.
Any help or suggestions most welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rookiemark, As a "low intermediate", low flex may hold you back a little. But you will still progress, and as you get better, the low flex will be more what you need.

And if they are comfortable, that is the most important thing at your level.

As a very general rule, the more advanced you are, the stiffer the boot you will want, because it means more precise control. At lower levels, if the control is too precise, it can cause you difficulties (because you won't have developed the fine levels of pressure required to fully utilise it), but it really shouldn't hold you back very much.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rookiemark, there are a number of things whcih could be in play here

1 at the standard you are at the boot may be considered 1 level too high but i do not see that as a major problem, boots can be made a little softer should this be required takes about 10 minutes to make a big difference.
2 how much space is there in the boot, if the boot is a little big [you say it is comfortable, this boot is hugh to size so if the size meaured is the size selected it probably is a size big [sorry to be the barer of bad news Little Angel ]] you will have to clip it up tightly in order to hold your foot properly doing this will cause the boot to feel stiffer
3 how is the ROM [range of motion] at your ankle joint, if this is limited then it can affect your ability to flex the boot whatever its flex is
4 it may be that you need to learn how to use all the joints in the leg the ankle, knee and hip rather than just focusing on purely the ankle

without seeing you ski or at least stand in your boot it is near impossible to comment much further, sufice to say some instructors like to see more ankle flex than other and there are loads of factors as to what constitutes "correct" levels...what is correct for you is not for me

good luck, if you need more help just ask
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmmmm. Warren Smith and Boot flex issues. That's a new one. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies and encouragement guys
alex_heney,Nice to hear it won't hold me back too much

CEM, I'm not sure the boots are too big as they are a size smaller than my normal shoe size boot is 27 and my shoe size normally is 9 and also when I do the boots up they are on the 1st ie loosest setting on the 2 lowest buckle and the only one I do up really tight is the last one around the calf, but I may be wrong.
I dont think I have a major problem with ROM in the ankle never had a problem with this joint when playing sport, rugby many years ago and squash/badminton now.
What is done to a boot to make it softer? and can it be done at any ski store or do you reccomend anywhere that would do it, nearby preferably (I live in west yorks)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rookiemark, CEM is the best man for the job IMHO (follow the link at the bottom of his post) although it is a bit of a trip to Bicester from West Yorks!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rookiemark, the job of softening the boot is not itself difficult, the secret is to find someone who A has rthe tools to do the job and B has the knowlwedge of how to do it Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy