Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My Ski Trip Jan 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Well i have just booked from 8th Jan to 22nd Jan into a hotel in Frisco Colorado

Picking up my big 4 x 4 in Denver and heading round these resorts

Arapahoe Basin
Beaver Creek
Breckenridge
Copper Mountain
Keystone
Loveland
Ski Cooper
Vail

These are the obvious resorts to go too.

But I was hoping the wonders of knowledge that is snow heads might have a few other hidden gems.

Plus places to visit whilst were there if we fancy a no ski day, good places to eat out etc...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could also hop over to Aspen, stay a night or two there, giving you four more hills to tackle Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We got our lift tickets for Colorado through www.themountainsusa.com who are based in Frisco. Their international prices were much cheaper than just buying in resort & they seemed very helpful when we contacted them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is the sort of trips I have been waiting to do! Keep us informed of the cost, accommodation and lift passes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, I can give you the cost so far. This is all for two Adults aged 23.

Flights from Heathrow via Chicago to Denver £650
14 nights in the Comfort Suite Dillion (3 miles from Frisco) £800 Bed & Breakfast
14 Day Chevy Equinox or similar rental £300

So all that for £1750 not bad for 14 nights Toofy Grin

if you are looking for cheap flights look at http://www.kayak.co.uk/?kw=kayak%20flights&product=air%20&dq=IAAaA%5DEU
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stuski,

That sounds great. We spent around £2500 for two persons in two weeks skiing in the Alps using own car. Your cost is not vastly different by the time we add lunches and ski passes.

We are planning to hit Films/Arosa/Davos/Kloster/St Moritz/Livigno in Jan 09 but haven't booked anything yet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pop over to Steamboat - have a change of scene by going to the Hot Springs

Skiing is pretty good to
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds all right - Winter Park may be an easy addition.

Don't forget you don't want to be driving on I70 at ski commute time at weekends. You'll probably end up shopping in Frisco on a day off.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So for the weekends I want to be staying close to "home" for so Breckenridge and Keystone for example?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think so -though they won't be quiet or A basin or Copper. Lots of skiers in Denver hit the slopes at the weekend in the Front Range resorts and I70 is the corridor to get them there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stuski, Weekends probably hit Vail or Beaver Creek - still going to get busy, but they are a little further away with plenty of terrain and a good lift system. When we were there they didnt seem busy even on the weekends.

A Basin lift system is old and slow so queues form when its busy, in the week you wont get many people there all day Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fantastic stuff! Really looking forward to skiing the states for the first time!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am quite keen on making an an assault on the American resorts for the first time too.

Having a look at the resorts nearby to Denver I think it should be possible to add Winter Park + Steamboat on the last leg and on arrival head for Aspen and stay there may be 3 to 4 days. That would be a 3 weeks trip, doing the resort runs of Loveland-Arapahoe Basin-Keystone-Breckenridge-Copper Mountain-Vail-Breaver Creek possibly in two locations.

Don't think one can ski all of them in such a short time but it would be nice to see fresh 1000+ acres of skiing per day on average, missing out only two major resorts of Crested Bute and Telluride in Colorado.

Would the last three weeks in March still OK? Some resorts in Colorado seem to close on 30 March.

Do the Americans believe in mid term breaks? or equally flooded by the Europeans in Feb?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, Last three weeks in March should be fine I would have thought. Both times we've been to Aspen we went on 15th March for two weeks, and had great conditions with plenty of warm sunshine Smile

Have also been in Vail and at the end of March without problems weather wise although the snow was getting patchy on the resort runs. The conditions can vary but March can be one of the best for fresh snow in Colorado IIRC. You do get Spring Break around then though so some places will be busier, but not compared to European standards Smile

Enjoy, I always like that part of the world Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stuski, I'm sure you'll have a great time Smile . One tip though concerning the altitude - take it easy for the first few days to get acclimatised. Drink plenty of water (and not too much alcohol wink Talking of which, Breckenridge has a good microbrewery Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Is the altiitude really going to be much different to when i stayed for 2 weeks in Val Thorens? I have never had a problem with altitude sickness before. Are the mountain roads similar to europe or are they huge like the rest of america?
snow conditions
Stuski, Frisco is at 2700±100 m IIRC.
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Stuski, I'm sure you'll have a great time Smile . Talking of which, Breckenridge has a good microbrewery Toofy Grin

It does but the beers brewed in Golden IIRC, the vats behind the bar deffinately arent used for brewing Toofy Grin

Altitude wise, Brek is nearly 10 000 ft and skiing at around 13 000ft - Keystone is a touch higher too, just keep hydrated and dont over do the exersion wink
snow report
Have been checking the places posted by Stuski and it seems a good idea to stay in Dillon for 2 weeks to cover the 7 resorts.

How realistic to include Aspen, Steamboat and Winter Park by extending one more week? I am thinking of may be staying say 4 days in Aspen and 2 days each in Steamboat and Winter Park as all of them are far apart from Dillon.

There is a fantastic amount of skiing choices in this area.
snow report
Hi Saikee I looked into trying to do steamboat, Aspen etc they are a good 3 hour drive from Dillion so do able if you stay up there for a week. Personally going to do that another year and stay nearer those resorts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy