Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ladies skis - ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
It is time I got some new non-race skis to replace my Volkl Attiva 4*. I have Volkl Racetiger SL Racing skis for when I'm really going for it, but would also like some new non-race skis for when I'm just skiing on the mountain.

I am only 5ft 2, so am looking at something under 155. I'm also looking for something relatively light as I only weigh 50kg. The length means I'm usually looking at a ladies ski.

Although I can do off piste if pushed, and I occasionally enjoy it, I don't enjoy it nearly as much as blasting around on piste. I don't mind bumps either. Therefore a high performance fast piste ski that suits good carving technique would be good, but one that can take to other terrain on occasions.

The ones I'm looking at are the Volkl Fuego (ladies version of Tigershark) and the Head Power One. I've looked at Rossi Mutix's, but they seem to only start at 161 which is too long for me.

I absolutely will not buy any skis that are pink or have flowers on them or have some daft girly name. The Fuegos are borderline acceptable, but at least they are browny orange, not pink. The Heads have the virtue of being plain black and looking mean - unusual for a Ladies ski.

If anybody has had any privileged summer testing of these, or can make any suggestions for non-flowery alternatives, I'd be open to suggestions.

Ta v much.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
docsquid, does pink not match your boots? wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arv, Happy

Actually, it's a serious objection to the trend with ladies skis of making them as expensive as mens skis but less good. They reduce the performance, fit inferior bindings, remove features present on the Mens' skis, then cover them with flowers, mirrors, bits of Swarovski crystal etc and hope the ladies won't notice. I want a ski that is technically good, and doesn't make me look like a fashion victim. Even the Fuegos have the "powerswitch" feature removed - don't ladies want to vary the level of aggression with which they ski too?

</rant> wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tigersharks. Cool

Or failing that the Fuegos.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
docsquid wrote:
Even the Fuegos have the "powerswitch" feature removed - don't ladies want to vary the level of aggression with which they ski too?

or maybe the powerswitch is a pointless gimmick wink

what about something like the dynastar legend exclusive? ok, it's a bit flowery, but so is the men's version so that makes it OK, right?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

maybe the powerswitch is a pointless gimmick

I suspected as much, which is why I bought them without.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I've been on test all the ladies love K2
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
K2's are heavy...which women don't like when carrying...mostly.

docsquid,

Unless you go for something like the Vision Zeal or Chica..or Exclusive powder plus, ie something around 80mm plus, then the only difference between the RaceTigers and the others is the others might be more of an all-dayer....IMV

If I wanted 2 prs of skis, I'd have a piste carver along a hairy GS type ski, for blatting around on hardpack, and a 90mm plus ski for everything but.

Even if you detune the type type of ski you want, I's still think you'd want the RaceTigers and an all-rounder. The Chica is a female version of a Spark and the latter goes anywhere. Light enough not to be tiring. Of course, it you were in deep stuff all day, you might want a bit more float.
The Spark and therefore the Chica will go there and be fine..but if you want to charge this a bit more then a wider ski will be more stable.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, the Tigersharks weigh a ton and I don't care, you unreconstructed male chauvinist. Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, Laughing unreconstructed...... Puzzled

Seriously tho', the K2 Lottas and Recons were by far the heaviest skis in the ski box... I can kind of understand the Recons as they were 181's but the Lotta were 160 somethings and were just as bad...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
docsquid, consider a ski by Scott. This one will do nicely by the sounds of it, available in a 155, under the foot is 74, so ideal if you do go off piste occasionally. Short radius on them too at 12.5m. The Aztec Maya is a lighter ski (it doesn't say it's women's on the Scott website but I think it is). The graphics look good as well. 74 under the foot won't be too wide either for your piste skiing. Saying that my 86's don't feel like it on piste.

The reason I say Scott is I've got some Scott Rosas (identical to the Mission in a 168, just softer flex and different graphics) and they are absolutely brilliant both on and off piste. They are 86 under the foot so mostly good off piste but I have to say I was surprised just how good they were on piste for a ski of that width. The radius on them is 13.2m which is actually less than my Volkl Attiva S5's in a 161! They don't do Rosas anymore as it was a limited edition and I'd recommend the Missions to anyone but at 168 they are way too long for you. The Aztec Maya you can get in a 155 though no probs. These will do nicely....155, including the S10 binding and £100 off while we're at it.

http://www.summits.co.uk/acatalog/info_191.html

Also Fall Line skiing has this to say about them-a contender for Ski of The Year apparently.

http://www.fall-line-media.com/skiing/gear.php?view=631

I love my Scotts, much lighter to carry than my Volkls but still with a wood core. Can't go wrong with them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, the Racetigers weigh even more than the Tigersharks. They are like carrying a ton of bricks, but I love 'em!

This has certainly given me some ideas to try. Just need to chat to EB at the Snowdome and see what they are going to get in as demonstrators. I'd like to try a Scott, the K2 Burnin Luv, Fuegos and Head Power One if they can get some.

VolklAttivaS5, the Scott's have no flowers - a definite plus Smile

Lizzard, unfortunately Tigersharks start in too long a length. I have tried my husband's Supersport 5* in 161 and I really do need a shorter ski.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
docsquid, midget. Laughing Laughing Mine are 168 I believe.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
docsquid, Try a Stockli "cheater GS" ... it is detuned from it's brother and loves fast but not as stiff lengthwise.... I use them in a 168cm as my everyday ski - and I'm your height... I'd ski a slalom in a 155cm but not an everyday ski ..... Even when I tried the Lottas in the shorter length they were OK but the 160cm was better for me...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
docsquid, I wondered if there would be a suitable ski for you amongst little tiger's, armoury before she posted tonight - she posted a photo showing a fair selection of them the other night and very few of them looked 'girly'. In particular she seemed to have a number of Elans in the quiver and they were most certainly of a very unisex graphic's and knowing the type of skiing that she speaks about I wondered if there might be some ideas in what she has for you.
latest report
docsquid, If you like the volkl 'feel', I doubt you'll like the K2s. They feel quite 'flat' in comparison. I bought the Attiva Arena last year - such fun. I'd like to try the Fuegos.
snow conditions
p.s.What about the Dynastar Exclusive Legend?
ski holidays
little tiger, I think 168's would be way too long for me, particularly for bumps! I found the 161's almost unmanageably long and difficult to rotate (as opposed to carve - they were wonderful for that). I want something that I can do short turns with and that are easy to rotate and will be nimble over bumps, as well as carving well when the opportunity arises, and 168 doesn't really fit that bill.

erica2004, yes, I do like the Volkl feel, so that is helpful. I definitely like a lively ski, and most rental skis I've tried out of interest do feel flat by comparison, but obviously they were previous years' models. The Dynastar looks very nice, and that is also on the list to try!
snow report
docsquid, I once thought that way.... but if you look at my video I'm skiing on the Stocklis or a pair of Volkl Racetigers - GS in a ?176?.... and I'm now aiming to "grow into" a ?181cm Elan GSX that is a tad stiff and long atm.... Fastman had me in bumps on both those skis and while I'd not want to do an exam on them atm I'd not think it would take very long if I trained at it.... I'm changing my mind on what I want my standard everyday ski to be like....

Note - if I had to try to ski like Reilly I'd go slaloms - but then IIRC APSI have no restriction on the ski - you just get examined on appropriateness of equipment chosen(i.e if they think you chose badly you get marked down)
latest report
oh - if you have not seen them here is links to Reilly

http://youtube.com/v/o1LWqiBsUxw&feature=user

http://youtube.com/v/uk6LCk3dX0o&feature=user
snow report
JT wrote:
Lizzard, Laughing unreconstructed...... Puzzled

Seriously tho', the K2 Lottas and Recons were by far the heaviest skis in the ski box... I can kind of understand the Recons as they were 181's but the Lotta were 160 somethings and were just as bad...

ha, you've obviously never carried Elan Magfire 12's Smile I handed these to the Liftie at Glencoe once to load them on the chairlift and he nearly dropped the,, Recons are like feathers compared to them.

Docsquid How about some Elans, The ladies skis seem to get good reviews, try what ever is like the Magfires for a good piste based all mountain ski that will be happy off piste.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 16-07-08 14:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Re: the Elan ladies skis - having got the Wave Magics in 160cm and had hands on a couple of other ladies ones of theirs on the ski test in VT I will venture that these are not lightweight skis by any stetch of the imagination. Yes, I've picked up heavier, but they are, lets say 'well built' even Sypderjon commented on the same when he got hold of the Wave Magics. Unfortunately they do tend towards 'girly' graphics in their ladies ski range though.

Good god!! Whatever am I up to providing comments on ski selection - help!!!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 16-07-08 12:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Megamum, There is no going back now!!

docsquid, Saloman Rush? Or 3V'S yes they are a race ski but what fun.

Atomic Minx I think they come in Black a little heavy but a great all round sk according to Mrs O
latest report
Another vote for the Fuego's here, from someone else who likes the lively "Volkl feel" and also found K2's a bit flat.
snow conditions
docsquid,
Right now I'm in Las Leñas skiing on Stockli Laser SC's and Stormriders. I cannot recommend the SC's enough for general piste sking. You can cruise around all day or ski flat out if you want. They come in 156 if you can find a pair. Don't be put off by the Stockli reputation, they are brilliant skis
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy