Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new BASI ski requirements

Poster: A snowHead
I sent an email off to Sean Langmuir about the new skis requirements and what type of skis they were thinking about, this was his reply....

Quote:
While it might make sense to have a race ski if one was continuing through the BASI system to train for the Speed Test, a more versatile ski (not a twin tip) would be better for the technical courses. It is intended to be flexible. Your choice.

Regards, Sean

So its just as open as ever on what ski to go for, but personally im am goin for a freeride ski for the courses, and then when i go for the speed test, I will get some real skis! Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
freestyleandy, you're ISIA already right? Out of interest since you mention you going for the speed test later, have you got a race background or have you been training for a fair while knowing that you're going for it soonish?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not a twin tip?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
VolklAttivaS5, Yeah i got my full ISIA in april 2007. I reckon in 2009/2010 i'll be going for the speed test. I did quite a bit of racing up to about 17, both slalom and gs, but not much for the last ten years. Have done no training at all, and I am going to just go and do a speed test to see what its all about. If i pass, happy days, if i dont i will know how much time/training i need.

The_Hirsty, it is seen that twin tips aren't appropiate for performance skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That is very boo. They are great fun for fire the snow up at people behind you
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
freestyleandy wrote:
it is seen that twin tips aren't appropriate for performance skiing.

Interesting. I thought it was about how you ski, not what you ski.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

. I thought it was about how you ski, not what you ski

I think it is purley ski snobery! We have reached a new low.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
intersting how any time there is an industry test the trainers are all seen blasting around on twin tips having a great tiem...when it comes to work there is a macho attitude from some that the slalom ski is the only acceptable ski to ski on be it hard packed piste or 3 feet of fresh

i guess old atitudes die hard rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BASI (like all ski instructor systems) is 90% about piste performance, racing and moguls.

If you really want to rock the boat then try rocking up on some stiff wide powder ski's Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd have thought that it isn't that twins aren't performance skis (and there are plenty out there that could kick the ass of many "piste" skis) but more that the twin kicks up rooster which makes it difficult for trainers and examiners to see exactly what is going on. Doesn't stop a number of instructors I've seen instructing on PEs etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I did my Instructor course 5 years ago my trainer used twin tips.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, I think you are right. I heard also that the use of twin tips are not normally allowed for courses because 1)as you say the rooster makes it hard to see what's going on with the skis and 2) (don't know if this is right mind) that twin tips are more forgiving so some things can be done more easily on a twin tip than a traditionally shaped ski, so they say no twin tips so that everyone has to be the same skill level on traditionally shaped skis for assessment purposes. This however might be wrong, I don't know.

It is ok for the Trainers to have twin tips in my book because they're assessing you not the other way round, so it wouldn't bother me if my Trainer was wearing twin tips.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i wonder what is BASI's position on kick tails and semi-twins rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, trainer's are also meant to demonstrate, same as any other instructor. I think they should follow the same rules and practice what they preach.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
> that the slalom ski is the only acceptable ski

Maybe times are changing.
The latest BASI course book states that for 'technical courses' you are required to use a ski with turn radius >15m ?
Would be interesting to hear the motive's behind this ?
However I suspect alot of people were turning up to be examined on stupidly short (g@y) super side cut carvers ?
snow report
Haggis_Trap, safety reasons, too many ACL injuries caused by catching an edge on short carving skis at speed.
snow conditions
beanie1, as I said in different words elsewhere, if you're not good enough to ski on SL skis at speed why are you doing your ISIA Puzzled
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
beanie1, as I said in different words elsewhere, if you're not good enough to ski on SL skis at speed why are you doing your ISIA Puzzled

I agree. It seems an odd rule from BASI.
latest report
David Murdoch, I totally agree with you, which is why I'm not too happy abuot the new rules!! That's just the reason BASI give. I've been looking at alternative skis and I don't think I'd be as happy "all round" on any of them as I am on my SL skis.

I am open to suggestions, must meet the following requirements:

- >15m radius
- Rock solid in high speed long turns
- Nippy in short turns
- Plenty of rebound
- Manouverable in bumps
- Good in variables

You see for me my SL skis ticks all these boxes apart from the radius. If anyone can suggest an alternative that also meets the radius requirements, and is available on the BASI offer, please let me know!
latest report
beanie1, Yep, those boxes is meant for SL race skis. And they're ideal in powder too...(mine are anyway). I'm afraid that I can't recommend anything as 1. I don't keep up with the marketing puff and 2. I have no idea what's on the BASI list.

Is it a hard and fast "we'll fail" you rule? Or a recommendation?
ski holidays
At least one trainer i know wont be worrying about it and it will be interesting to see how it is policed if at all....

beanie1, i started a thread on this a while back http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=976505#976505

i ended up buying some Volkl AC30's...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy