Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lets see your ski collection

Poster: A snowHead
ok show us your skis

these are mine less a pair of Stockli SC's that were in Oz (shot in April 2008)

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
little tiger, can't believe you've got a pair of Girlie Luv's
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unfortunately my white/red boots don't match my new Vist's.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, Girlie Luvs are up for sale.... I like my GS skis much better Very Happy Especially now I've worked out how to skid the damn things Smile

Must get troubles mounted up and use them next season

You will need new boots - simple solution 3 skis & 2 boots Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't have a Digital camera. So;

Salomon X Mountain Tours 174, Solly 997 bindings (9 years old)

Solly (made by Head) pre-carve skis. Taken from skip at ski centre, Riva 2 bindings

Tua Big Easy 178, Rainey Superloops (7 years old)

Dynamic V27 155, Neox. 2 years old

Dynastar Intuitiv Big, 168 Hammerheads Toofy Grin (4/5 years old)

K2 Apache Chief, 181 Solly 900 Bindings (2nd hand when I got them)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
little tiger, doesn't there come a time when you just have too many to pick from or travel with? At least with only one pair, I don't have any options, but to ski on what I have Laughing .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, Very good point, unless you are a gadget geek one pair of ski's is fine. The rest is technique Toofy Grin
Standing back waiting for the flames Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, as stated 1 pair are being sold

1 pair "cheater GS" skis - the yellow ones - are perfect for tighter NASTAR course sets and were good for my first GS skis
the 3 other GS skis are for racing and training on - the Volkls(red) are a little softer ski than the Elans...

The slalom skis(3 short pairs) are for shorter turns - 1 pair is going to go also...

The final pair(no bindings) are for playing around....

We take 6-8 pair to the snow - luckily car is suitably huge Smile

boredsurfin, true and not true - I'd like to see someone run a WC downhill course on a pair of very short skis(well it would make a good scary movie) .... but much is technique... I had 1 pair of alpine skis only for years then 1 alpine and 1 pair of tele skis for years.... but yes - a good skier can ski an awful lot of stuff with just 1 pair...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
little tiger,
Quote:

but yes - a good skier can ski an awful lot of stuff with just 1 pair...

Quite, one of the best skier's I know is still on his old skool stick thin GS ski's even in the powder Very Happy

Megamum, worry not your one pair is all you need snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, that's good then - I'm still very fond of the pair I've got (I never thought of me as being the type to own any skis - one of the upsides to being a member of snowheads was the chance of a bargain). Maybe I will just have to become a decent skier and get the most out of what I have!! In actual fact I wondered if they would OK in the very soft stuff if I ever got the chance, but in April we got what must have been a foot of soft powder onto the piste (so a hard base) and I skied my very first red in it, on my own skis so I'm quite convinced that they will now do me for most of what I ever need/want to do.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

one of the upsides to being a member of snowheads was the chance of a bargain)

Shocked I have yet to see any 'bargains' associated with snowHeads that I cannot better elsewhere. Apart from occaisional expert advice freely given by industry acknowledged experts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, I've yet to see new Elan Wave Magics for sale anywhere for as low as £160 - that seemed a fair price for ski ownership when I was being charged £80 a week to hire in resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK new fathers have their baby pictures, so here's mine, showing the latest arrival on the left.

Changing the metaphor rather unfortunately they are still virgin, but due to be deflowered on Wednesday - and maybe abused in anger next weekend. Actually, the shot's a bit of a cheat as the Legends are truly dead (missing a few cm of edge) and the Bandits are very definitely only rock skis. There is another pair of Dynamics missing though, pretty much dead themselves also (severaly burned bases), but currently in use on loan to another guy at my ski club.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ten pairs little tiger - that's impressive Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Between the two of us:

1 x Volkl Tigersharks 168cm
1 x Dynastar Legend 4800s 172cm (for sale)

1 x Sapient Solstice 151cm
1 x K2 Darkstar 157cm
1 x LibTech Magnetraction (probably relegated to rockhopper/loan for visitors)

Have enough stress deciding between board and skis without having to choose which ski as well.
ski holidays
Here's my current collection:

There's too many pairs at the moment as I picked up a few end-of-season bargains but haven't yet sold the skis they will be replacing. Come the autumn eBay will be my friend!
ski holidays
rob@rar, you slut!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
GrahamN, interesting difference in binding position between the Heads & the Dynamics when they're the same length.
snow report
PhillipStanton, Fastman has more Shocked

most were good prices though.... I don't think we paid more than $300 for a pair.... and the least skied pair had run just a few races
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar, you slut!!! Very Happy

Why, thank you kind sir! I do like to spread my love amongst my collection Wink
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd like to see someone run a WC downhill course on a pair of very short skis

I remember an ex-British squad member doing the Weltcup-Abfahrt in Hinterglemm from the top to the bottom station on a pair of 155cm slalom skis while winning a mass-start downhill race at the British Uni Champs back in 2000. Pretty scary as it was right at the end of the day so the pistes were incredibly cut up and slushy at the bottom and had deteriorated so much that there were big patches of mud. You had to know which side of the piste to stay after each lip/bump/tree otherwise you'd run out of snow, which prompted some impromptu grass-skiing and some great crashes. Stupidly the pistes weren't closed so there were still some non-racers skiing down and some pretty close calls down the final pitch.

Anyway, back on topic, here's my current one-trick-pony quiver. From left: 186cm 2V Labs. 181cm 2V Labs with 916. 165cm 3V Labs with 916. I've got countless other pairs of race skis in the attic that we never got round to throwing out but I don't think I own a single pair with a waist over 65mm, which I'll have to rectify at some point. Toofy Grin

ski holidays
My stash!
latest report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:

Anyway, back on topic, here's my current one-trick-pony quiver. From left: 186cm 2V Labs. 181cm 2V Labs with 916. 165cm 3V Labs with 916. I've got countless other pairs of race skis in the attic that we never got round to throwing out but I don't think I own a single pair with a waist over 65mm, which I'll have to rectify at some point. Toofy Grin

Any spare pairs of 916s in the attic you want rid of? Wink
snow report
chris, are those white ones possibly the finest visual gag ever- Kray Twins?
snow conditions
fatbob, Laughing Laughing well spotted. I call them my Kray2 Chiefs!
ski holidays

200cm K2's, 187 xscreams on 897 driver bindings and 3V scleavers in 160 with S914 bindings. And old skool boots, 9.1 equipe integral force.

Cleavers hold me up same as xscreams.
ski holidays
DaveC wrote:
Any spare pairs of 916s in the attic you want rid of? Wink

I have a pair of metal 997 DIN 14-20 and a couple of pairs of S900 6-14, but the S900 aren't the metal ones so aren't worth that much. The 997s are indestructible but they're a bit too high din for use for anything but racing, and I think a Spatula-like ski (next on my list) with Deflex (to which the 997s are almost welded) would look and ski a bit funny Smile Gone are the days when deflex topped with driver-plus plates ground to max height plus crazy depth boot soles were cool.
ski holidays
chris, I think we should enter you and that stack of skis for the Turner prize!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What was the deal with the driver plate like whats on my screams? I can see the heel loks like it's floating..
snow conditions
johnDUB, it was designed so the whole binding interface didn't effect the flex pattern of the ski. Ski / binding interface ultimate goal is to have a solid lump of a boot safely connected to the ski without effecting the overall flex of the ski...
latest report
Cheers!
ski holidays
johnDUB, you've got the "Driver Suspension" plates, which were a combination of a toe dampener (the dark grey piston-style thing in the front of the plate) and a free-flex plate (the linked toe-heel pieces) as parlor describes. The "Driver Plus" plates were just separate riser plates under the toe and heel pieces to give you extra height and hence leverage and boot clearance.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, stick the metal 997s on TGR if you don't want them....I think someody will snap your hand off there.
snow report
rungsp, i think there's a thread on there about reducing the DIN range on 916s which would probably also work with the 997s
snow conditions
rungsp, I did look at that but considered it too much hassle unscrewing them, packaging them up and sending them over to the US for the cash I'd get for them. I may offer them for collection (with skis attached!) from my parents' place near Preston where they're currently residing.
ski holidays
Sideshow bob, thats a good thing then, similar to how the pilot worked sort of.. The driver plus plates where no different to axe+ plates I had on my 912ti's (rip)
latest report
I guess i married the wrong lady, every time i want new skis the old ones always turn up on e-bay somehow.
I love my Movement kamasutras mind you, although i fancy a pair of Seths but don't have the £260. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Divorce is cheap and easy now, worked for me!
snow conditions
johnDUB wrote:
Divorce is cheap and easy now, worked for me!

i wasn't thinking of spending THAT much wink
ski holidays
Nice Quiver LT. I am anxious to hear how you like the Troublemakers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy