Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling sH instructors... CV for job applications?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys -

Been asked to submit a CV to the recruitment department in Fernie. I've not applied for an instructing job before, and doubt my IT focused CV will go down so well!

Would anyone mind sharing their resumé/application when applying for instructor jobs in resort from the UK? Bit stumped as how to word it, as one line of "I qualified in Fernie last year and now want a job" is about as far as I can think of!

Cheers,
Dave
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Must admit I’ve never had one, got work through word of mouth. Do you have any experience at all, did you have to do any shadowing as part of your course? If so I’d put that on there. Also emphasise your transferable skills, if you’ve ever run any training courses, coached in any other sport, worked with children etc. And I’d take off most of the detail of your IT roles.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No shadowing, just CSIA1, and nothing relating to children besides helping my mum out at school a bit with her kids!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC, so you spent time being a "teaching assistant" in a local school working with young kids....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC, If you're applying for an L1 job, they're probably more interested in if you're trustworthy, reliable, sensible, etc. Rather than how good a skier you are. Worth quoting that you did your course in Fernie, quote the tutors name too, so that they can ask Him/Her about your character.
Good luck, see you in Feb 09.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The story goes something like this Dave C:

I did X years working in the IT industry and while I enjoyed the work there was something missing.

During this time I volunteered as a teaching assistant at INSERT NAME OF SCHOOL HERE and found what was missing. The satisfaction and reward that comes from working with people in an educational capacity, in this instance working with children.

Based on this positive experience I decided to spend a winter at Fernie training towards CSIA Level 1 certification.

I signed up for a INSERT COMPANY NAME HERE course and trained under INSERT NAME(S) OF SKI TRAINERS/EXAMINERS HERE.

Before I embarked on this course I was told by my trainer(s) that at the end of the winter I would know whether I wanted to put my new found skills into practice and continue my ski education.

They were right and that is why I would like to apply for a full-time position with Fernie Winter Sports School for the 2008/09 winter season.

My lack of ski instructing experience is balanced by my enthusiasm and desire to work in the industry and to continue my ski education.

Please contact my trainer(s) INSERT NAME(S) AND CONTACT INFORMATION HERE to see if I would be a good addition to the Fernie Winter Sports School team.

I look forward to hearing from you and spending the winter at Fernie.

Kind regards,

Dave C

F.Y.I. Presumably you did a course? If you did, did you approach the company you went with? If not, why not?

And if you did, if they couldn't put something like the above together then shame on them. It took me 5 mins to write the above.

If you need more, post here or PM me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Mike, that's wicked.I did my CSIA1 off my own back - just signed up for the exam and did my research.... to be fair, I'm under no delusions that it's particularly hard or much more than an entry level qualification. I'm hoping to take the first CSIA2 of the season, hopefully after a few internal ski school training sessions...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good on you Dave C.

So instead of

'I signed up for a INSERT COMPANY NAME HERE course and trained under INSERT NAME(S) OF SKI TRAINERS/EXAMINERS HERE. '

put

'I could have chosen to go with one of the instructor training companies operating in BC but having done the research I felt that organising the travel, accommodation and training myself was my best course of action. I trained under INSERT NAME(S) OF SKI TRAINERS/EXAMINERS HERE.'
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaveC wrote:
I'm hoping to take the first CSIA2 of the season...

I'd say that's worth a mention... and maybe that you'd also be interested in working for them beyond the 08/09 season
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy