Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

warren smith ski academy versus ??????

Poster: A snowHead
Not yet. Was planning to use mark warner because stuart and I like the ski hosting. They have a choice of 2 hotels in tignes and I was thinking that Aiguille Percee might be ok.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Noggy

Quote:
cathy, VolklAttivaS5, Oh good - some Tignes instruction experts! I'm also off to Tignes 14/12 with my 17 year old son who is about level 5, and I'm about level 3. I can't decide what would be better - the Inspired to Ski All mountain course for Stuart and the Piste perfortmance for me, or to use Evolution 2. Does anyone have a view/can help? Thanks

I'm a bit confused as to why you'd want to sort your own accomodation out even if just one of you is on a course, because the accomodation that comes with the course is substantially cheaper (I expect) than booking you and your son into the MW Aiguille Percee down the road, even if you are planning to share a room (obviously I don't know if you were planning to or not). Very Happy

If you are going to be having a room each then the Inspired to Ski deal will massively cheaper than a room each at the Aiguille Percee will be for sure unless you've got some kind of massive discount or something?
Had you had a look at the course accomodation to compare?
Also-an important consideration here-the video feedback sessions are done in the Aigle/Annapurna II so if you sort your own accomodation out then your son/both of you if both doing a course would have to walk up there to have that (well you don't have to but you'd have to be mad not to bother attending that) so it's far easier if you stop in the same hotel as everyone else is. We skied out and in of there last year first week of December but you'd have to walk up the hill from the Aiguille Percee in Le Lac see.

Don't worry about the ski hosting that MW offer that you mentioned was a consideration, if just your son is looking to do a course and you aren't, well that's fair enough but if you both are then I'm sure you won't give a hoot about ski hosting because you'll be too busy with your course and even before or after your course session starts/finishes you'll have loads of people to ski with if you want.

What I mean by this is that some groups are run in the morning and some in the afternoon, so if you and your son are both on mornings say then you can meet him to ski in the afternoon. If you are on different times for example then you and he would have plenty of people from your group (and others if you arrange it beforehand) to ski with so having folk to ski with in free time is not an issue. Well it hasn't been when I've been anyway put it that way.

Now you mention your son doing All Mountain in your quote above, and you possibly doing Piste Performance? Well Piste Performance is a Snoworks course that they offer for Level 3's. If you are a Level 3 then you need All Mountain Performance Level 3 through Inspired to Ski which they do offer that week. The other course they do is Off Piste Performance which is for Level 4 and above and doesn't sound like that's going to be what you're looking for TBH.

If you want my advice, you should either:-

1) book both yourselves onto an All Mountain course rather than just one of you, you in Level 3 and him in Level 5 instead of you going through Evolution 2. I believe that you will improve more doing a course and you will enjoy it more doing the same course as your son but at a different level plus it will solve the problem of you being at a loose end so to speak while he's on his course because you'd both be on one. Stay in the same accomodation as the rest to save money and for convenience re video feedback. It's much better than faffing about staying elsewhere IMO.

OR

2) Alternatively, note that you'd have to go the week before to do this, 7th-14th Dec, you could consider you doing a Level 3 Piste Performance as I mentioned above through Snoworks, and put your son on a Level 5 All Terrain with Snoworks. They are staying at the Hauts Toviere in Tignes that week which is a MW hotel in case you definitely preferred to stay at a MW hotel in Tignes one way or another. Snoworks have got good reviews too as you'll have seen on Snowheads I expect.

If you can't go that week then best idea would be for both to do a course and stay in the same place as the others as per option 1.

Anyway hope that answers your question!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VolklAttivaS5, wow - it will take me a short while to look at this very comprehensive answer, so thanks! I must admit my research hadn't highlighted that ItS offered accomodation, so I need to look further into this. The reason I like ski hosting is becasue Stuart is far too rapid for me to ski with - he is a speed and distance merchant. Last year he did the Sella Ronda twice in a day and wanted to try for a third! I'll have a good look at your ideas. Thanks very much.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
VolklAttivaS5, ah - looks like ItS has no accommodation for that week. But will look further into it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
noggy, what VolklAttivaS5 said, but much better than I could have done! I'd only reiterate that it's much better to book your accommodation through Snoworks/Inspired to Ski - it will be cheaper than booking the same yourself. And staying where others on the course will be staying is better, IMO. Enjoy whatever you choose!

And Happy Birthday!! snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
noggy, cathy, Laughing Well I don't think I could have said what I wanted to say about this in like a couple of lines Laughing wink

noggy,
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, ah - looks like ItS has no accommodation for that week. But will look further into it.

Puzzled I didn't think that week was fully booked. Have you checked with ItS directly because the chalets are both Skiworld and on their website those accomodations will probably show as unavailable because ItS have allocated all the rooms I expect. If it is all booked up, well I suppose you'll have to look at another week.

Do not worry about not having ski hosting! There was about 35 people at the MW Dahu this year on the ItS course in Courchevel 1850 which was the course accomodation by chance that week and precisely zero of them used the MW ski hosting because you haven't got time. You will not need it honestly you will have plenty of people to ski with from your own group who will be similar level. You could ask ItS to see how many other Level 3s or 3/4s there are booked already. Bear in mind that some Level 4's that have booked on will be a Level 3 or a 3/4 really because they might have overestimated their ability-or indeed underestimated it!

Good Luck with that then. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5, I have mailed them, but will now phone. The Ski world site says some availability left, so perhaps ItS have used up their allocation. Which do you think is the best of the 2 to stay?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All sorted, I think - thanks everyone.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
noggy re the first question normally they use the Aigle for all weeks in Tignes but they cant get the Aigle for the last week so they're using the Annapurna II as far as I know. What have you sorted out then? Course for both of you or for one and with whom?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 18-09-08 15:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5, Well, subject to final audit (i.e. speak to son tonight), it'll be Annapurna and with Stuart on level 5 and me on level 3 All Mountain. Not yet decided whether it's wort doing the Chambery option - if it means snow time on Saturday pm on arrival day I might. So all very good I think. I guess there will be a few other snowHeads there!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
noggy,
Quote:

Not yet decided whether it's worth doing the Chambery option - if it means snow time on Saturday pm on arrival day I might. So all very good I think. I guess there will be a few other SnowHeads there!

Good for you. Glad you got something sorted for the both of you rather than just your son, I'm sure you will be glad you did that. Did you ask if there were any other Level 3's booked on at the moment?

I think the £110 ItS deal for both flight to Chambery and transfer is pretty good and the transfer is £75 return on it's own if you sort your own flights out so you'd be unlikely to find alternative flights I feel from/to elsewhere. You will like the Annapurna II I'm sure, I will be there that week doing Off Piste Performance and also Beverley and her husband will be there too and I think Elderstatesman and some of his buddies will also be there that week, so there will be quite a few Snowheads flying about. I think the flight is quite early from Gatwick to Chambery so you might get chance to ski first day by all means. Personally I don't bother because I'm too tired by time I get to Tignes even if it is a shorter transfer-living 3.5 hours from Gatwick-means for an early morning flight with say check in at 4.00am then I'd have to set off at 12.30am! Not good.

I'm driving out on 28th Nov and returning on 21st December so I'll see you when you arrive in Tignes at the welcome drink thing. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
noggy, VolklAttivaS5, Yes, we will be there. If anyone can challenge your son it will be my husband, William who, although in his 40s, is King of Schuss, the original Duracell Bunny! He is Level 5 but wants to do the Off Piste course.

We are going from Chambery only because we can't bear long transfers. If we get there early, William would get on the slopes asap and I would unpack and have an early glunwien - says it all really wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beverley, VolklAttivaS5, excellent - we're on the Chambery flight so, unless something dreadful happens with the flight, we'll be on the slopes by early afternoon - once we've sorted Stuart out with ski hire. Should all be very jolly. can't wait!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, I see from Inspired to Ski website that they now display the accommodation as Chalet Hotel Aigle. They must have changed it (would have been nice to get an email saying). Remember you say you've stayed here. What's this one like? Annapurna II looked rather lovely I thought.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Beverley, I assume the chalet is now full, so any new guests will be in the Hotel. I can't imagine they've just moved the existing bookings without asking/informimg.
ski holidays
Beverley, I thought the Ski World flight in the flight/transfer package was Chambery anyway, could you have flown into Geneva if you sourced own flights? That would probably have cost you more anyway what with the transfer charge on top.

Quote:

I see from Inspired to Ski website that they now display the accommodation as Chalet Hotel Aigle. They must have changed it (would have been nice to get an email saying). Remember you say you've stayed here. What's this one like? Annapurna II looked rather lovely I thought.

No it's always said Chalet Hotel Aigle right from the beginning on the dates and prices section AFAIK. Not sure why it wasn't changed to the Annapurna II on the website though, I think originally they were using the Aigle for all 3 weeks but then they couldn't for the last week for some reason, so you will still be in the Annapurna II as far as I know anyway. Besides the Aigle is more than lovely as you know from my tripadvisor review that you emailed me to tell me that you were staying next door at the Annapurna II so don't worry about it. Haven't been to the Annapurna II but I think it's the same as the Aigle because all 3 chalets were built same time AFAIK.

noggy,
Quote:

Beverley, I assume the chalet is now full, so any new guests will be in the Hotel. I can't imagine they've just moved the existing bookings without asking/informimg.

I don't think that is the case, no, see my explanation above. I might be wrong but I don't think anything has changed from the start.
snow report
noggy, VolklAttivaS5, Thanks (just remembered about the Tripadvisor review). I remember on my confirmation email it said Annapurna II and the website says the other one. Not really bothered as they both look nice, but like the idea of a hottub!

When we booked I was given the choice of flying to Geneva or Chambery.

Anyway, looking forward to it snowHead
latest report
Beverley, ooh that was good then. I thought Geneva would be at extra cost for some reason. Not sure why I thought that, but yes Chambery is a lot closer to Tignes so much shorter transfer although I will admit to you that the one and only time I flew into there it didn't really seem to run with the usual Swiss efficiency that Geneva has! Hopefully you will have a smoother experience!

I wouldn't mind at all it being the Aigle for 3 weeks because that means that me and the 2 instructor guys that are staying there won't need to shift our gear next door to the Annapurna! Well, it will make a change I guess and of course there is the hot tub. The Aigle has got a pool though so either way, just in case it is at the Aigle, Annapurna I or Annapurna II then we'll all be happy!

Only 11 weeks until departure now I think. More like 9 weeks for me though. Yeeeehaaaa. Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, And having just returned last w/end from staying in the Swiss Alps and doing my Sound of Music impersonation (much to the amusement of a few cows!), I had a strong desire to stay put until it all opened!!
snow conditions
I haven't posted on here much but will also be on the Inspired to Ski All mountain course, arriving on Tignes 13 December. Should be level 4/5, I think and am looking forward to meeting everyone Flying into Chambery so might get out on the Saturday and staying at the Chalet Annapurna; should be a great week Very Happy
snow report
Kelskii, ok see you on the 13th Dec then. Let's hope there is plenty of snow by then. It was great last year so hoping there will be more of the same.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Cheers, I was there the same week last year too, that was a great week, loads of snow and quiet on the slopes. Be well chuffed if it's as good. Wish I was staying for a few weeks like you. I really want to try some more off-piste skiing but this seems like a good course for the first week of the season. See you.
snow report
Kelskii, oh I was there the week 1st-8th Dec then there was 8th-15th Dec and so you must have been on 15th-22nd were you, I can't remember if they had a week that close to Christmas last year? The first week there was loads of snow but it was cold mind and quite windy, some of the lifts were closed until mid week but that didn't stop us because there was plenty of pistes open. I was on All Mountain then Level 3 as had only been skiing 3 weeks, it was definitely a good course to do early on before any bad habits got ingrained. I think they had a brilliant week the second week once all the snow had settled and the winds had died down.
ski holidays
can i interrupt with a slightly different question, but still on course theme? Do peopel usually take the accomm with the course or do people book separately? The ItS accomm first week of Jan is quite a bit abiove the odds for that week in other Courchevel accomm, but as i m going on my own it might be a bit too weird to stay in another (cheaper) chalet. Anyone know?
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Yes, I was there from 15th - 22nd, a great week. I travelled alone and didn't have any instruction that week but I got talking to a father and daughter in a bar (as I do!) on one on the first nights and skied with them all week. Then had a week with Ali Ross over new year, I think Ali sorted a few of my bad habits so that was a great week too. You're doing very well given the amount of skiing you've done. I've done 12 weeks over the past 7 years, starting with just one week a year until I got a bit hooked and am now an addict! Managed 24 days last year and am aiming for about the same this year. I need to get something sorted for the new year week but haven't got around to it yet. Prior to last year I'd just skied with any old ski school but decided I wasn't really getting anywhere hence, the week with Ali. There seems to be quite a few snowheads going so it should be a laugh and the skiing might even be good too!
snow report
Kelskii, ok, sorry I misunderstood what you meant, I thought you meant you were there with ItS that week last year. So you haven't been with them before then? I suspect the tuition you will get will be not disimilar to what you got with Ali, as these guys are all BASI Grade 1's too. Plus as we've all been saying the accomodation looks and is very nice for their Tignes courses.

I've done 10 weeks now, 2 weeks in different seasons the first year in 2006 and then got the ski bug after the 3rd week in the March 2007 and then ended up going on the All Mountain course in the Dec by coincidence really. I was in the bottom group which was the Level 3/4 mixed group although I was more like a Level 3 realistically, parallel on blue runs was ok but techinique wasn't that great (shape making, straight leg etc etc) red runs were difficult and was all over the place in anything slightly challenging. Was a Level 4 by the end of the week though Very Happy so those weeks really can make a difference. Not all the time though, they doesn't necessarily work miracles but usually 99.9% of the time people come back having improved quite a lot at least. Fitness, age and attitude though not necessarily in that order has a lot to do with how much people improve I believe. I think it's about trusting them and allowing your skiing to be unwound and then wound back up again in the right way and be moulded without hanging onto stuff you used to do that doesn't work or isn't as effective.

Anyway aside from that, well what a hoot it was too and I made some good friends out of it, a couple of them are coming back on the 6th Dec so it will be nice to catch up with them too.
latest report
bitoffluff, yes 99.9% of the time I believe people book the accomodation with the course. You can book separately if you want, but the trouble is that the Dahu in Courchevel is a really big chalet hotel right next to La Croisette (plus it is in a brill location mind literally a minute's walk from the meeting place for the instruction) so pretty much everyone will be staying there I would have thought.

It is expensive though for that one, I agree because 1) it's Mark Warner and I always think they are expensive compared to other companies and 2) it's Courchevel 1850 where lot's of rich Russians go skiing and 3) like I say it is in a brill location. I think socially you would miss out if you stayed elsewhere and potentially you may regret it, it's nice to have dinner and afternoon tea with everyone else on the courses so you can discuss your day and all that, plus what may cause you a bit of inconvenience slightly is that you'll have to go to the Dahu for the video feedback session which could be an absolute pain if you're staying somewhere in 1550 or somewhere else in Courchevel, so if you choose to sort your own out then you need to be getting somewhere quite close to the Dahu IMV. The video feedback isn't compulsory like but IMV you'd be mad to miss out on that because that is when you see exactly what you're doing wrong that needs fixing.

In which case you might find that other places in the vicinity of the Dahu are equally as deer possibly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy