Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Book now or wait for wait for January deals

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Family of 4 will be in Paris in January. First week skiing is Sat 10th or Sun 11th Jan for seven days.
Want a catered chalet somewhere convenient in Three Valleys. Preferably one with many wine loving guests

I've checked and there obviously are a huge range of 3V chalet choices, some offering small discounts now.
I'm looking at around E600 p.p. or less
I'm ok to lock something in now, but are there usually fabulous chalet deals in late Dec for Jan bookings?

Should I wait to snag the inevitable Great Deal on January Skiing for 3V chalets?
Or is that like an honest politician - a mythical creature that's talked about, but rarely seen?

Opinions sought.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zeroz, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

January deals are usually available, but the thing with deals is that you have to be a bit flexible and take what they have. If you have something very specific in mind then you may not do as well from the "deals".
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zeroz wrote:
Family of 4 will be in Paris in January. First week skiing is Sat 10th or Sun 11th Jan for seven days.
Want a catered chalet somewhere convenient in Three Valleys. Preferably one with many wine loving guests

I've checked and there obviously are a huge range of 3V chalet choices, some offering small discounts now.
I'm looking at around E600 p.p. or less
I'm ok to lock something in now, but are there usually fabulous chalet deals in late Dec for Jan bookings?

Should I wait to snag the inevitable Great Deal on January Skiing for 3V chalets?
Or is that like an honest politician - a mythical creature that's talked about, but rarely seen?

Opinions sought.

We are debating over the same! I think the favourable option maybe to book flights from uk now to Lyon/Grenobe/Geneva/Turin depending where we think we would like to go. I know places like La Tania in 3v have lots of catered chalets and they can have good reductions in Jan if you're prepared to sit it out and wait untill the last minute. We are a large party in Jan and it includes older kids so whilst we might not all get in the same chalet,the resort is fairly close together so it wouldn't matter if we got split up...on the other hand...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
zeroz, Are you acquainted with Mr Murphy and his law?

If you book now, there will be better deals available in December.

If you wait, there will be nothing reasonable left available by then. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unfortunately Mr Murphy and I are well acquainted.

At Chamonix and Zermatt I booked well ahead and then found at the people staying a the same place paid much less. Had the opposite experience at Val D'Isere and other places. So basically I am confused.

I presume 3V is different given the huge size and options. Like andyjc I've been looking at La Tania and St.Martin-de-B and others, but all I have fixed is to be in Moutiers on 11 Jan. From there I am flexible.

What's the best place to look for deals? www.lastminute.com or the tour operators or ?????
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
zeroz, try Igluski as well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hello Zeroz. We have generally found that in January there are good bargains to be had by waiting till the last minute but you have to be prepared to hold your nerve right up to a week or two before departure. This year we went to a catered chalet in Val D'Isere in January, booked about 10 days before departure and got about half the price off the brochure price. We have used Igluski and also www.skisolutions.co.uk and www.skiline.co.uk as good search sites but the one we found the best was www.alpineanswers.co uk . This one has a particularly good section called 'late deals' which was updated regularly with up to the minute availability and price reduction details and featured bargains from several of the well known and less well known tour operators - and you can search it using the criteria which are most important to you. Hope this helps
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The website is www.alpineanswers.co.uk - my previous post missed the last bit off - soz!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
loatie wrote:
The website is www.alpineanswers.co.uk - my previous post missed the last bit off - soz!

They only seem to have a very limited list of resorts on their online search facility.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney wrote:
loatie wrote:

They only seem to have a very limited list of resorts on their online search facility.
Well they have 46 resorts in France alone......... obviously the late offers only come up when in the ski season and approaching each departure date.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zeroz, with 4 of you, you'd have to be very unlucky and/or picky to fail to get a good last minute deal. That also gives you the opportunity to be flexible if, for example, the snow in the 3 Valleys is not good - and better elsewhere. Are you based in Paris? From there, I'd be inclined to drive, for maximum flexibility. The January deal is NOT mythical; our last package holiday was a last minute January deal in 2002 in a super chalet in Courchevel 1650, half price. However, as we then took an extra week to drive slowly home through a few other resorts, and ended up buying an apartment, I've not been in the market for last minute deals since. There's really not many good arguments for booking in advance with such a small party, for mid January, unless you are seriously wealthy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are willing to consider several resorts then I would recommend waiting. I've had some real bargain holidays in January. I've usually booked 2-4 weeks before going.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't book now for Jan, there are ALWAYS deals if you are flexible.

Good place to source for tour op's is fasttrackski.com basically they have all the deals from all the major tour op's, don't book with them they add admin and various other spurious charges and I think the level of these charges depend's largely on how gullable they think the person is on the other end of the line. What you do is call them up whilst sat infront of a PC, get all the info off them and whilst they are pricing the holiday up for the mug punter on the other end of the line, you are on the tour op's website pricing it up for yourself, it is usually about £40 per person less. You politely tell them you can see the same holiday on the website for a much cheaper price and you are about to book it direct thank-you very much.

I have done this several times just act a bit thick and they add more charges, which makes your bombshell all the more Bitter-Sweet. Laughing Laughing

Best deal for me Hotel Augille-rouge Les-arcs 2000, half board, Jan 2006 £159 per person.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy