Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Met Office -Early indications for Winter 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
Vague and so far out as to be almost pointless.

"Issued 10 July 2008

Background
This first assessment of prospects for Winter 2008/9 is based on statistical forecasting methods. Later, in September, the forecast is updated using output from global numerical forecast models. The statistical predictions are based primarily on the influence of North Atlantic Ocean temperatures on European winter climate, and changing expectations for winter due to the climate warming trend. Since the mid 1980s the average UK annual temperature has warmed by about 1 °C and winters warmer than the 1971-2000 average are now common. Of the last ten, only the winter of 2000/1 had UK mean temperature below normal.

The mean UK temperature last winter was 1.2 °C above the 1971-2000 average and was the 9th highest. Last winter was wetter than average, with 118% of the 1971-2000 average and was the 11th wettest. National and regional climate series began in 1914, for temperature and rainfall.

Forecasts are expressed as variations from 1971-2000 averages. Winter, in this context, is defined as the months of December, January and February – although it is recognised that winter weather can extend beyond this period, especially in northern Britain. Seasonal trends usually affect quite large geographic areas, so the forecast for the UK is cast in the broader picture for Europe as a whole.

Early indications for Winter 2008/9 (December, January and February)

Temperature
Winter temperatures are more likely to be either near, or above average, than below average over much of the European region. For northern Europe, including the UK, Winter 2008/9 is likely to be less mild than last winter.

Rainfall
There is currently no clear signal for either above or below-average rainfall. However, for much of northern Europe, including the UK, rainfall is likely to be lower than observed in last year's relatively wet winter.

Updates and reviews of the forecast

This first assessment for Winter 2008/9 will be updated in September"

Colder but drier - hope they're right in the former and wrong in the latter! snowHead

Although even with a lot less snow than last year if it had stayed cold all winter it would still have been a cracker! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robboj wrote:
Vague and so far out as to be almost pointless.

I disagree. Instead of "almost", you should have said "totally".

They say themselves that this first itreration is based entirely on statistical methods - i.e. they have no information yet to suggest how it might vary from previous averages and observed trends.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
robboj wrote:
However, for much of northern Europe, including the UK, rainfall is likely to be lower than observed in last year's relatively wet winter.

the definition of a statement of the bleedin obvious Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I confidently predict there will be a bit of snow, rain, cloud, wind and sun this Winter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought last winter was quite cold here in gloucestershire, we certainly had more snow than usual and lots of crisp bright cold days in febuary, difficult to belive it was the 9th warmest on record. Must have been really warm somewhere else in the country.......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds good to me. Last season was very good in Europe, superb in Scotland (and the Lake District), though mainly after the end of 'winter', ie March, April and May.

I'll settle for less mild than last winter, though I didn't think it was particularly wet ?

It seems to me that the climate change model we've been given which predicts hotter drier summers and milder wetter winters, isn't proving particularly accurate, is it ? Mild winters and wetter summers seems to be the trend of the noughties, with plenty of blocking activity always bringing the possibility of snowfall in winter. I wonder if the model will be amended soon ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I already mentioned in another thread not to book early as this EU season 2008/9 will be warm with a severe lack of snow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton, Yes and we've all come to the conclusion that this is entirely based on your desire to have resorts to yourself.

2-years ago, which I admit wasn't the best, you were the voice of doom and gloom telling anyone who would listen that there was no snow anywhere - well I had a good time skiing, early, as did countless other SHs
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris, ditto.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris wrote:
stanton, Yes and we've all come to the conclusion that this is entirely based on your desire to have resorts to yourself.

2-years ago, which I admit wasn't the best, you were the voice of doom and gloom telling anyone who would listen that there was no snow anywhere - well I had a good time skiing, early, as did countless other SHs

I was at my other base in Switzerland then. It was widely acknowledged that the Season 2006/7 was one of the worse seasons on record. If it was not for snow making there would of been no skiing at all.
The Farmers were correct back then & they were right in October 2007 about the 07/08 season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
Boris wrote:

I was at my other base in Switzerland then. It was widely acknowledged that the Season 2006/7 was one of the worse seasons on record. If it was not for snow making there would of been no skiing at all.

The fact you "widely acknowledged" it does not make it true.

The early part of the season was pretty poor in many places, but not in others.

And there was quite a bit of skiing, particularly late in the season, in places that don't actually have any snow making

Quote:

The Farmers were correct back then & they were right in October 2007 about the 07/08 season.

By October, the Met Office will be providing forecasts rather than statistical analyses.

It is currently only July, and nobody has any real idea what next winter will bring, even overall, never mind in the muntains, or in any given European country.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I skied in Switzerland in Jan 07. It wasn't great but "If it was not for snow making there would have been no skiing at all" is nonsense.

It was bare low down, but high up was fine, plus we got a giant dump of fresh mid-week and I remember it being the coldest I have ever felt. Also skied Austria very late season 07, also fine.

So, in summary, NehNeh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton, I skied on natural snow and would have done all week without the aid of snowguns at christmas 2006, so you're generalisation isn't accurate at all. Maybe you need to ski elsewhere to find snow if that was your experience?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's a picture of people sitting on the grass above Les Arcs praying for snow late December 2007

My daughter on the bunny slope at 1400m - a bit bare but still snow

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christopher wrote:
stanton, I skied on natural snow and would have done all week without the aid of snowguns at christmas 2006, so you're generalisation isn't accurate at all. Maybe you need to ski elsewhere to find snow if that was your experience?

Not a generalisation. Not every ski resort is located above 1000M. MANY were not operational .

I ve skied on every continent except antartica although was close Very Happy
latest report
If I remember right it was a tough season for the lower altitude resorts eg les gets, albeit 1800 metres upwards conditions were respectable albeit not outstanding. St anton, for example, in march the snowline was approx 1700 metres although a couple of resort runs open on artificial
snow conditions
I predict this thread will grow until at least March 08 at which point a "I told you I was right about winter 08/09" thread will start.
snow report
dan100 wrote:
If I remember right it was a tough season for the lower altitude resorts eg les gets, albeit 1800 metres upwards conditions were respectable albeit not outstanding. St anton, for example, in march the snowline was approx 1700 metres although a couple of resort runs open on artificial

Every marked piste in St Anton is made of Artificial Snow. That includes every valley run to St Anton,St Christoph,Nasserein,Rendl.Rauz
snow report
Frosty wrote:
I predict this thread will grow until at least March 08 ...
Kewl - time machine Smile
latest report
Quote:

Here's a picture of people sitting on the grass above Les Arcs praying for snow late December 2007

Nice pic, but I'm not sure quite what the message is; many resorts had their best Christmas snow for some time in 2007. No amount of talking about Christmases Past takes us much nearer to a picture of Christmas 2008 (albeit statistically a series of stats about Christmas snow gives us some reasonable pointers about a series of future Christmases).
latest report
stanton wrote:
If it was not for snow making there would of been no skiing at all.

Those snow cannons are marvellous aren't they!

Hinterglemm, Jan 2007
snow report
ski-finder, to be fair, I think Stanton was talking about the beginning of the season, Christmas time, which was pretty thin in lots of places, with plenty of grass where there should have been snow. But that's nothing new; Christmas snow is often poor. Last year was terrific, but it's not the norm.
snow report
pam w, i get muddled... one minute i'm told Jan is early season, then i get told it's not Wink

Although that said i can't see any mention of early season, only booking early... but it's been a long day Sad
snow report
Well last year was actually quite mixed and I experienced many fohn periods which were fairly destructive to the powder. Saying that it was great to experience a big dump and many people who got the timing right really had fun! My gf & Sister got to do Vallee Blanche on a perfect day so Smile

St Anton is correct concerning 06/07 season and we were in St Anton in late Jan when the conditions were fairly shocking with noticable grass and mud on many of the runs. It did start snowing tho late and many good weekends were possible from late Feb onwards.

Saying all that every year I see more and more reasons to live in Vancouver Wink
latest report
FYI, for France:-

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0843-retrospective-2007-2008-ski-season/
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/david.george/SnowConditionsFrance2008
http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0741-retrospective-on-the-2006-2007-ski-season/
http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/retrospective-on-the-2005-2006-ski-season/
http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/retrospective-on-the-2004-2005-ski-season/
http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/retrospective-on-the-2003-2004-ski-season/

Stanton is correct, without snow making it would not have been possible to ski to resort level for a large part of the season in many French resorts and 2006-2007 would have been a total disaster (conditions were as bad as 1989-90 when les Arcs went bust) with some major bankruptcies. It was touch and go for a lot of resorts as it was.
snow conditions
andy, doh ! I meant 09, of course. Embarassed
snow report
stanton wrote:
Christopher wrote:

Not a generalisation. Not every ski resort is located above 1000M. MANY were not operational .

I know you are Dutch, so it is possible this is just a lack of English comprehension, but your English is usually OK, so I doubt it.

The fact that "MANY" meet your criteria, rather tan "ALL" meeting them means that it most certainly was a generalisation when you said "If it was not for snow making there would of been no skiing at all."

If you had said "If it was not for snow making there would of been no skiing at all in some resorts" (or even "in many resorts"), then I dn't think anybody would have argued with what you said.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

Stanton is correct, without snow making it would not have been possible to ski to resort level for a large part of the season in many French resorts

he might have been correct if that had been what he had said.

But he didn't, he made far too sweeping a generalisation when he said only "If it was not for snow making there would of been no skiing at all."

If he had meant "down to resort level", or "in many resorts", he should have said that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney, ah yes but then it wouldn't have been obvious trolling?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Nice pic, but I'm not sure quite what the message is; many resorts had their best Christmas snow for some time in 2007. No amount of talking about Christmases Past takes us much nearer to a picture of Christmas 2008 (albeit statistically a series of stats about Christmas snow gives us some reasonable pointers about a series of future Christmases).

Ooops - this was of course December 2006 not 2007 - I get confused in my old age
snow conditions
There is a 99.9% chance that there will be more or less snow than average. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy