Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss vignette - essential?

Poster: A snowHead
HI all - we are setting off on our drive to the French Alps in a few weeks and the vignette we purchased for last year is about to expire. It cost around £18 from the official Swiss website, but thought worth it as we intended going into Geneva (from PdS) at least a couple of times. This year we may only go once, so does anyone know for sure, if it's necessary to have the full thing with the sticker on the window, or can we pay at a booth on a one-off cost Puzzled The husband seems pretty sure it's the same price regardless of how many trips onto Swiss soil but I'm not......

Thanks snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anniepen if on a swiss motorway you need one even if only going once or you risk a fine!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The vignette you purchase last year expired at the end of last year. [Strictly speaking end of Jan IIUTRC.] Paying one-off will cost the full CHF40 for the (yearly) vignette.

But the one I have at the moment (bought in March) and won't be using again is valid until the end of this year. I keep thinking I should stick it on ebay.... But if you send me a PM maybe I can help you out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any driver using a toll motorway without a valid "vignette" will be liable to a fine of CHF 100 and at the same time required to pay the CHF 40 price of the "vignette".
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anniepen, Swiss Motorway Vignettes are valid for a calendar year. For example the current sticker is yellow and has the year 08 printed on the face. There is no limit on the number of times you can use the vignette. If you arrive at a Swiss motorway border point without a windscreen sticker, you will be invited to buy one before continuing your journey. The current price is CHF40. If you want to save money, it should be possible to avoid entering the Swiss motorway system in order to access France.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not sure exactly how the system works, but I don't think it's 365 days. I think it expires 12 months after the end of the month you bought it - so you could get up to almost 13 months, if you buy at the beginning of the month. It's not the case that 08 stickers expire on 30 Dec 2008 - depends on the colour, which I think indicates the month of purchase.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's valid 1st Jan - 31st Dec regardless of when you buy the Swiss Vignette. AFAIK they allow 1 month extra at each end (eg you can display next year's from 1st Dec onwards, and keep the previous year's until 31st Jan). Colour is for the year of validity.

edit: and if you're simply popping into Geneva, then surely you can go in without going via the Autoroute.
edit #2: https://www.swisstravelsystem.com/produkttexte.php?passid=5 (not sure how much it costs at the border, cos I get mine from ADAC store)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
they run out at the end of the year they have printed on them, it's not rocket science is it? 08 is valid for 08, and guess what 09 is valid for?

same price at the border as I pay locally.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you can buy next years vignette from 1st December of the preceding year and it remains valid until 31st January.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cant you buy the vignettes from your auto mobile associations at home?

Its possible here
http://www.anwb.nl/webwinkel/reisdocumenten-en-vignetten/autobahnvignet-oostenrijk--zwitserland,/informatie.html
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
It's not the case that 08 stickers expire on 30 Dec 2008 - depends on the colour, which I think indicates the month of purchase.

This is incorrect as everyone's 08 stickers are yellow. The colour indicates the YEAR of validity.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yes, sorry, that was wrong. Rather oddly the vignette is valid from a few days to 14 months depending on when you buy it - runs from 1 December to the end of Jan, 14 months later. So if you were holidaying on the Swiss motorways during the last week in January and the first week in February, would you need two vignettes? Vignetti?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, no. One would do, as the new one comes in to force on Jan 1st. There is a 1 month overlap.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think its the only thing the Swiss Douane are interested in on the way in to GVA airport.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I drove into Switzerland at Basel last summer the traffic was streamed into 2 channels; those with vignettes and those without directed to a paybooth.
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
pam w, no. One would do, as the new one comes in to force on Jan 1st. There is a 1 month overlap.

no there's a 2 month overlap....December and January!
snow conditions
fatbob, it's the only thing they've ever been interested in when we've driven in, but I've seen some carloads of sharp looking young men being systematically searched, side panels out, the lot. I have occasionally driven in without it being checked - usually early in the morning when queues are long and they open extra channels through to cut down on the waiting. But that's unusual.
ski holidays
Only trouble I ever had at a Swiss Customs post was when I had 3 young people in the car and the Davos G8 conference was going on, otherwise they just make sure you have that vignette
snow report
marcellus, technically, yes, but in the example that pam was using, only one month was relevant NehNeh
snow conditions
Embarassed sorry
snow report
I think its the only thing the Swiss Douane are interested in on the way in to GVA airport.
snow conditions
a simple YES wink
latest report
I know nothing about vignettes, but I am driven to hijack the thread to ask fatbob his posts often duplicate?
ski holidays
We drove through Switzerland at the end of June, and on crossing the border got stung for the vignette - charged us 30Euros. On querying the validity the guy told us it's valid until 31st Jan 09. I did some research on getting home and found the (illegal!) suggestion that the way to get them off the windscreen is with a hairdryer, but that the glue used is so strong they should have used it for the space shuttle's heat shield tiles! You can be fined for not displaying them stuck on the windscreen and if you buy them at the border they'll affix them to make sure you do. If you stick it on yourself apparently it's possible to invisibly stick it to clingfilm or similar and make that adhere well enough to the screen - but it can be easily removed again so it can be transferred. Only thing is they do have a serial number and I don't know if they record your car reg no when you buy the vignette - anyone know that?
snow conditions
I have removed them with duct tape and reinstalled them on a different windscreen (same car). If its of any interest its easy to get to Geneva airport from Cham without using the motorway (no sticker needed) and is about the same time wise. Remember this is Swiss Land and if you chance it on the motorway there is a good chance of getting nabbed.
ski holidays
I very much doubt they record serial no. and car reg., especially as most are probably bought at a fuel station or via AA/ADAC/etc.
I've heard that people do manage (or attempt) to remove them and transfer to another car, but they are very brittle and are designed to fall to bits when you remove them. The amount of faff to save the price of a pizza and beer in a French mountain hut doesn't seem worth it, and if you get caught the penalty is probably a lot more serious (and my experience is that the Douane do check vignettes, but rarely bother to check passport).
snow report
jbob wrote:
I have removed them with duct tape and reinstalled them on a different windscreen (same car). If its of any interest its easy to get to Geneva airport from Cham without using the motorway (no sticker needed) and is about the same time wise. Remember this is Swiss Land and if you chance it on the motorway there is a good chance of getting nabbed.

Agree with your first point, from Cham take the Geneva exit at Annemasse to "Geneve / Gaillard" takes you straight into the town center, about 5km or 20 minutes. If you go via Bardonnex it is about 20km plus you will probably get lost at Junction/Etoile

The swiss police are virtually non existent because no swiss person would ever think of breaking the law and not buying a vignette so controls outside of Bardonnex customs are rare. That they control at all is because the French are known to chance it. On average you will get controlled once every 3 months if you drive every day. On the airport run main control points are Bardonnex and the highway exit for St Julien.
ski holidays
Thanks all - just want to clarify that we had no intention of going bandit, and traversing Swiss soil without paying the appropriate fee, just wasn't sure what that fee would be i.e: full 12 month (or portion therof) vignette or if a one-off vist fee could be purchased at the border - know now though! Very Happy

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 10-07-08 11:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I honestly can't believe how tight people are....
latest report
Timmaah wrote:
I honestly can't believe how tight people are....
If that refers to us, not the case at all Puzzled We didn't know if it was a necessary purchase or not - if it is, then we make it. If it's not, why would we? Asking for clarification from people who would know for sure, hardly warrants an accusation of 'tightness'
ski holidays
Wasn't directed at you anniepen but at other people in the thread who were on about swapping the stickers to different cars etc.
snow report
Timmaah, thanks Very Happy
snow report
Butterfly wrote:
Only thing is they do have a serial number and I don't know if they record your car reg no when you buy the vignette - anyone know that?

I've always bought mine online from the Swiss Travel Service and they don't ask for a car reg.
snow conditions
geepee, no, they don't ask for a reg.
ski holidays
Timmaah wrote:
Wasn't directed at you anniepen but at other people in the thread who were on about swapping the stickers to different cars etc.

Standard practice if you sell one car and buy another - if you trade in, the dealers all have very sharp knives for the purpose.

One point is that the Swiss vignette is very good value - it's less for one year than the Austrian one is for one month IIRC
snow report
eng_ch wrote:
One point is that the Swiss vignette is very good value - it's less for one year than the Austrian one is for one month IIRC

As with several other things, it's something that the Swiss do quite well - charge the tourist a greater proportion than the locals. With the Austrian system, you can buy a 10 day vignette, which is perfect for a week's holiday. With the Swiss system, I, going for a week, pay the same as you living there do for a year.
latest report
Elizabeth B, thanks - that was the bit I was unsure of! I wondered if there was something like this for Switzerland, but am now fully appraised of the situation Very Happy
snow conditions
I agree the Swiss vignette is good value for money.

Only a few weeks ago We went to Neuschwanstein castle (Germany) for a couple of days and decided to have a meal in Innsbruck (Austria). We had to pay a 10-day vignette which is the minimum charge for driving in AUstrian motorway.

When we cross into Czech we had to buy another vignette at the border for getting to Prague. That is also expensive for a limited period.

Apart from Germany the best value for driving all the tunnels and motorways has to be the Swiss.
ski holidays
saikee, No, it has to be England.
latest report
David@traxvax, only if you're not too fussed how fast you get anywhere!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy