Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March 7-14th & 14-21st 2009 - LDA: Older or more cautious novices/improvers

Poster: A snowHead
Final day skiing today, so sad Sad Sad Sad

Great fun, lovely weather and snow just about all over although a little wet last thing on Sapins.

What a wonderful week and much thanks to Butterfly and easiski for the idea and making it happen. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi folks,

thank you for your commiserations, they are much appreciated. Just to wish Easiski and all of you (whether on your first or second week) a wonderful time and please have a few runs and drinks for me! I am uncertain whether to follow the thread and Butterfly's blog or to switch off Snowheads for a week but guess I won't be able to do the latter! Especially as I'm not up to doing much else. Evil or Very Mad

Aneira
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the first lot of 1 weekers left today Crying or Very sad , but the next lot started to come in, more tomorrow and later in the week. I hope we keep this weather, it's lovely.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nearly everyone's here, and Late Starter & Mr. Late Starter are coming on thursday. It was really hot again today - lovely - everyone did well and the first day went swimmingly. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks for such a great week last week. Easiski's great instruction combined with the support and friendship of the rest of the group made for a really enjoyable week and has certainly got me hooked into skiing!

Today I started looking into glacier skiing for the summer - I like the idea of skiing in the morning and then cycling or something in the afternoon. I think Stevos999 is getting a little worried that our cheap UK summer holiday is going out of the window, but I am only looking! However, I am starting to see it as the perfect solution - he gets to have another skiing holiday and I get a holiday with a little more variety, refreshing/improving my skiing and confidence for next winter.

Now, if only we could win the lottery...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chocolatebox, all good to hear! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chocolatebox, good to hear you are hooked snowHead the summer glacier skiing sounds like a perfect combination for you.

We arrived home yesterday afternoon after a pleasant train journey in France and a nightmare journey from London due to engineering works - it took less time to travel from Grenoble to Lille than King's Cross to Norfolk! Evil or Very Mad

I must echo all the comments by chocolatebox, regarding thanks, particularly easiski and Butterfly. This was a lovely week for us and we look forward to meeting up again in the future - who knows, perhaps another trip next year. snowHead Very Happy

Thanks to Stevos999 and Liz for being such great skiing companions and helping me to push myself to achieve new things, particularly those interesting runs down Fioc in deep snow, the amazing Grand Couloir, the wonderful little excursions off piste from the galcier to Gours and the complete set of blacks back to the resort in various conditions. I think a magic moment for me must be that final run down Valentin with Stevos999 and esiski at the end of our lesson and in half light, nobody else on the piste except the pisteurs and lovely fresh snow Very Happy Very Happy

Iscream has made brilliant progress and really feels she has 'turned the corner'- already talking about the next trip. It was so satisfying to see Iscream and Butterfly with hugh smiles after completing the Puy Salie and Signal so well.

We will be putting some of our photographs on the snowMediazone and look forward to seeing the complete set once Stevos999 compiles his CD. Cool

Please keep the reports from week 2 coming in Cool we will be thinking of you.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just want to have my say after such a fantastic week, big big thank you to easiski for your patience, it paid off in the end and i am still reliving that last run down the path where i was going so fast i nearly took off.Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Also thanks to Butterfly, at last i have met someone who thinks like me and i will never forget the tumble of the chair lift but we cracked it after that. I see you have been practicing your French again Toofy Grin, i suppose its one way of passing the time when going up in the lifts.

Thanks to everyone else for all your support and encouragement, i really feel i can ski now and cannot wait until my next skiing holiday. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
iscream, You did fantastically well, however you'll now have to arrange all your holidays to co-incide with Butterfly Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks for all the kind words. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Everyone did really well today. Butterfly made her first descent of the mountain from the glacier to the Cretes, Caistor skier had a fair sized crash, and Glacier went for a ski down a green run. Awol had her first off piste trip Very Happy Very Happy All firsts
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski,

Please tell Butterfly I said, 'well done' - a great achievement. I hope Caistor Skier is OK after the crash - it sounds like she's getting a bit reckless now I'm not there to keep an eye on her rolling eyes

Let me just take this opportunity to heap yet more praise on easiski. I had a brilliant time last week, partly because the snow, weather & company were so good but mainly due to easiski helping me to rediscover the sheer joy of skiing. I spent much of the week skiing around doing my 'drills' (sorry, Charlotte) and looking rather silly, I suspect - bobbing up & down, waving my arms around, pointing in various directions, skiing on one leg, etc ..........and giggling like a kid with the thrill of feeling confident that I wasn't about to wipe out at any moment - almost regardless of how badly I was carrying out the prescribed movements Embarassed

For those of you who don't know: although easiski gets a bit short-tempered when she's cold and barks at her pupils occasionally when they're naughty wink I think it's a price worth paying for expert one-thing-at-a-time tuition - none of that 'bend ze knees' rubbish. TBH I was fairly disillusioned with skiing (but hopeful rolling eyes ) before the trip but a few days with easiski has shown me I can still ski and that I still love it as much as ever. I'm now really looking forward to my next trip, whenever that is. Thanks, Charlotte Cool snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Red Leon, Awwwww John - thanks Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Glad to help. Caistor Skier is fine and has managed to stay upright today. All going well, Butterfly, Awol, Margaret & Glacier have all profited from their adventures yesterday and come on a ton today - well done! Very Happy Very Happy videos looking much better, Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just wanted to say that I'm glad everyone is has had fun and I hope those that are there this week are having a similarly great time. Well done all those that have made progress snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, Everyone has made progress!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski = sensei wink you have my vote too.
ski holidays
Masque, thanks. A good day again today with some harder work all round. Late Starter & Mr Late Starter arrived a bit late due to the strike, but still managed to make their lessons. Very Happy Both have come on heaps since I saw them ski last. Butterfly even admitted to enjoying a bit of speed today! Shocked Shocked Very Happy
snow report
What a great thread this is - so much enthusiasm and enjoyment going on. Well done all round. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Before you finish your week just wanted you to know that i have been back to the dry slope at Norwich and although it was a lot harder than skiing on snow at least i felt more confident than before Very Happy Very Happy

Enjoy your last day and have a safe trip back
snow report
All those from week 1 that would like a DVD with that weeks lesson videos as well as richard/buterfly and my own (not all of chocolotebox i promise) pics and video clips please PM me an address to send them to. thanks. Liz (or anyone else) if you can e-mail me some of your pics i'll be able to put them on too.
snow report
stevos999, You are a certifiable STAR. snowHead too snowHead too snowHead too
snow report
stevos999, have sent you PM re DVD.

Great to hear about the week 2 fun and progress. I hope the final skiing day of the trip for some will be really good- only wish I was there with you all snowHead
ski holidays
It was windy today (see snow report), but in spite of this everyone had a good day, skied well, and are in one piece. I'm about to go off to the Blue Salmon for a meal with everyone. Glacier has to leave early in the morning, so we're eating early.
snow report
Margaret, CaistorSkier & I are sitting in Grenoble airport bored and missing the snow. I'll do a trip report when home, hard from my phone! CaistorSkier admits to a little reckless skiing but only in lessons! I gave her some amusement by finding out the meaning of breakable crust!
ski holidays
Butterfly, While you were at the airport we were making the most of the drop in wind - all up on the glacier skiing today

& with AWOL's advice got ourselves with her down to Toura then right on down to Cretes - then it wasn't so good as we skied down to the town on Desmoiselles - Mr LS was fine but that bit was not to my liking!
Hope you all got back OK.

Very Happy
snow report
Late starter, Good to hear you and Mr LS are having great times skiing together Very Happy
snow conditions
Late starter, Glad you had a good day and hope you're feeling better too. Don't think I'd fancy Desmoiselles all the way either! I finally got home at 9.30 pm - our flight landed 40 mins early but it felt like a very long drive home after that - then I remembered I still have all CaistorSkier's clean clothes in my ski bag - oops!

Having had a cuppa and deleted nearly all the 400 emails on the system I am now thinking of bed and hoping for some good skiing dreams! Hope you have a good day tomorrow.
snow conditions
With the near-nil access I had to the internet at Wengen, I had been wondering how you lot got on - glad the skiing went so well. The Blue Salmon, eh? So you ate well, too. snowHead
snow report
So today's the last day - the final few will be leaving for home today and so I thought I'd try and put together a summary trip report from my personal perspective. If you haven't read the blog yet it's at hp57.blogspot.com and it has a series of photos with it, albeit taken on the phone so not all that brill. I've tidied it up a bit - removing extraneous linebreaks that had crept in from somewhere while updating via email..

This trip has been a fantastic experience for me. As most of you know I have not found skiing at all easy, but nonetheless found it addictive. My biggest issue is fear which breeds tension of course. Starting with a few summer lessons last June, I discovered that Easiski was someone who could inspire confidence in me. I have learned to trust her judgment implicitly - if she tells me to try something, no matter how unlikely I think it is, I can almost certainly do it. This started with the simplest of things, such as travelling very slowly on almost no slope while adopting different postures such as reaching down to my knees/boots and doing little "bunny hops" - I was certain I couldn't - but I could! Other confidence building events included the now infamous tennis court terraces (if you've read the blog). At one point it was terraces-1 Butterfly-0, but we sorted that out!

This has resulted in me trying things with more confidence, and therefore more chance of success and in turn that further feeds the confidence. Her method of breaking things down into appropriately achievable skill-chunks works for me and has given me a wider range of emerging tools with a broad base upon which to build. I am now able to do things like briefly lift my uphill ski while traversing - only for a second or so, but I can. I can do a parallel stop, I can sideslip (if tentatively), I can repeatedly flex ankles/knees whilst traversing and can flex in the second part of a turn having previously been 100% stiff legged. I have skied with more and more speed in safe places, such as whooshing up and down a little u-shaped valley in the middle of the Petites Cretes and that gave me the confidence to get up sufficient speed on the Route de Thuit to overtake some people and get right to the end of the last uphill section without poling.

Probably the most important thing is that, like many nervous people, my "default" actions that came into play on getting scared were wrong - instead of making my balance and line more secure, they made it less so. We are now well on the way, via a few simple strategies, to resetting that "default" to a set of actions which work. They still don't come automatically, but I am now at the point of often being able to take conscious corrective action when I feel the control going and that is very reassuring.

We all also learned that Easiski never gives empty praise. If you get praise, you've deserved it and are required to graciously accept it with a simple "Thanks" and agree you did well; negativity is banned!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Butterfly, well done. Sounds like steady progress all round, under expert teaching from easiski Smile
latest report
Butterfly, You did really well. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
easiski, Thank you! Yes, I did, didn't I! snowHead

I was grinning widely and wanting more at the end of every single lesson even when I started in an apprehensive state on a couple of days Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I want to say a Big Thank you to easiski, for her unending patience, brilliant instruction and encouragement and for giving me hope that I can continue to improve. Sadly Chillfactore cannot compare to Les 2Alpes but it will have to do for now. Like Butterfly, I found skiing addictive but the fear and tension just exhausted me. I still can’t believe that I managed the Tennis Courts – a ‘no way’ ran through my head when I first saw the terraces but a few words of encouragement from easiski, and before I knew it I was sailing down the dip Very Happy . Distraction techniques definitely work on me! I still have to conquer my fear of chairlifts but at least I enjoyed my last ride with Butterfly, although the dismount was not as successful as I had hoped for Sad . Falling over and getting up with minimum assistance was a positive experience and left me feeling very satisfied with myself! Toofy Grin

Thank you to all my skiing companions for making my week so much fun. As many of you know it was a first time for a number of experiences and you all helped me through it. A special thanks to Butterfly, for organising the trip, AWOL, my flat mate who introduced me to the joys of vin chaud Madeye-Smiley ! and Margaret, my skiing companion with whom I shared many adventures on and off the slope Laughing , also Caistorskier, and everyone else whom I met during the week.

I had to do some shopping this morning and walking across the car park I heard easiski,‘s voice ‘Stand up, Val’ and I automatically straightened up! Skiing does wonders for my posture! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Glacier, glad you enjoyed it. Keep hearing the voice! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Butterfly, and everyone else, great reports sounds like a very successful couple of weeks. Butterfly I don't know when and how we will manage it, but I look forward to our next skiing adventure together with great antiicpation.

N.B. I haven't asked before, was it any different skiing on your own skis? Did you find it helpful?
ski holidays
Megamum, I also look forward to skiing together again! Yes I did find it helpful confidence-wise, being on my own skis as I know that I know them now, if that makes sense, though I have to say that I did very well on those arranged for me by Easkski last summer. To be fair I am still probably not really good enough to notice that much difference between skis that would be suitable for my ability although we did have a session on things to do when testing out different skis in order to start comparing them.

I am planning to make a few visits to Chillfactore (Manchester) with Glacier & anyone else who might be about to strike while the iron's hot, so to speak and practise new skills!
ski holidays
Sounds like a great success. Well done Butterfly,
latest report
Butterfly, just finished reading your blog - thanks for sharing your experiences, it has been a great trip and I do hope we can all get together again soon. snowHead
snow conditions
Butterfly, you must be very pleased that your idea has been so successful - a great effort. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Richard E, definitely! BTW, did you note the ski servicing recommendation wink

Frosty the Snowman, pam w, thanks - I hope we can repeat it next year.
snow report
Great week, brilliant company and fantastic skiing. Thanks all, especially Butterfly and Easiski for organising it so well
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy