Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how much to get binding fitted?

Poster: A snowHead
How much would it cost to get some bindings fitted to skis?
Just wondering if it's worth it to buy separately
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Couple of seasons ago Filarinski in Havant were charging £25.00 including a test certificate from their binding test machine.
www.filarinskis.co.uk
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GordonFreeman, Filarinskis are excellent, but it would probably cost less in resort, especially if you are doing other business with the shop in question.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman, the agreed rate for a UK store to mount & test bindings when neither the bindings nor skis have been bought from them is £25. Very few UK stores have a binding release testing machine but at least a manual function check should be performed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
GordonFreeman, the agreed rate for a UK store to mount & test bindings when neither the bindings nor skis have been bought from them is £25......

There must be some mistake. Toofy Grin That would be price fixing and it's rather frowned on, and I am sure you would not countenance that. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Makes sense to buy bindings and skis separately from Europe then and get them fitted here doesn't it?
Seems to me that a lot of stores make extra money on the bindings but reduce the rate on the ski (bit like insurance for flights Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, that "agreed price " came about many many years ago......before all this talk of price fixing even existed..... it was to counter act certain less than reputable dealers and hotle sales who were selling really cheap grey imports and saying just take them to your local shop they will put the bindings on

there are two points 1 when we got binding mounts from these "sales" we charged £35-£40 unless the customer was spending money with us for something else

2 when a retailer mounts a binding to a ski which was not purchased from them they have to take on the liability of the complete system as it is set up....as such if you have a fall which results in a binding non release and you decide to sue someone, it is generally bnot the binding manufacturer or the shop who sold it to you, but the shop who mounted it and checked it

BTW try sueing the resort shop and see where you get........ in this country you are protected by the law, something which IMO is worth £25
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

....as such if you have a fall which results in a binding non release and you decide to sue someone...

Are you American? Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, I have no doubt it is worth £25, or the fee that you charged - but price-fixing these days is illegal, no matter when the agreement was struck, and even if it was legal then. FWIW, I would be very happy indeed to have my bindings fitted by spyderjon (assuming he's still speaking to me wink) at whatever fee he thinks appropriate - he's the finest ski technician I know.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GordonFreeman, I had a UK 'expert witness' contact me without prompting when I had my Achilles tendon rupture when a binding failed to release. I did not ski the store concerned. However, I can understand the temptation to sue. It was extremely inconvenient for my family - though fortunately, as most of my work is computer-based, I was able to carry on with work from my laptop. VPNs are wonderful.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I get the reasoning, i was just taking the p! Smile
Bindings can not release for all sorts of reasons, surely? Apart from the DIN setting, the rest depends on angle and speed of fall, etc.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do you not have to have a jig that is binding or manufacturer specific to mount some binding? Although probably less so now as many skis mount bindings on pre-mounted rails.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, a jig is not necessary - just makes mounting a hell of a lot easier. I've mounted quite a few bindings (for my own purposes) without such a jig - but I wouldn't do so professionally.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, I didn't say that I agree with the price 'fix' but luckily I'm not a high street retailer so I feel no pressure to comply.

Being a maverick my price is actually £20 for the mounting & £5 for the test. The test however is compulsory wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, suits me, sir Toofy Grin
ski holidays
so as price fixing is so illegal can anyone explain to me why diesel at every one of the 19 petrol stations within 10 miles of my location is 132.9p per litre rolling eyes rolling eyes

or is it legal if you are a petrol station
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
so as price fixing is so illegal can anyone explain to me why diesel at every one of the 19 petrol stations within 10 miles of my location is 132.9p per litre rolling eyes rolling eyes

Because you live in an unusual location?

Quote:

or is it legal if you are a petrol station

No.

But your experience is not common, IME. There are only 4 filling stations in the Merthyr area, and tere is alwasy at least 4p/litre difference between the cheapest and most expensive deisel price. (currently the cheapest is Asda at 129.9, while the one 250yards away from Asda is the most expensive at 135.9)

And I more often fill up in Cheltenham, because it is usually cheaper there than Merthyr, but again there at least half a dozen different prices available in the town, with Waitrose usually being the cheapest (currently 128.9), then 3-4 stations a penny more and various prices above that.
ski holidays
Quote:

don't think so, fairly average occasionally one of them i a penny more but not much variation at all
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
Quote:

don't think so, fairly average occasionally one of them i a penny more but not much variation at all

That is unusual.

Most places have quite significant variation.
latest report
Most business' will take note of what the competition charge and set their prices accordingly..IME

If the company is large enough, they may have marketing departments that shadow them daily.
snow conditions
alex_heney, thats it your'e right I'm wrong

tesco have 5p off a litre if i spend £50

now pi$$ off Little Angel
snow conditions
CEM, Laughing Laughing

5p off I put half a tank in at Tesco having spent £50 in the shop, the 5p off came to a pricely £2.90. Nice bit of marketing but not even enough to buy a pint of beer Sad
snow report
just checked a few places as i thought i was going mad

all from 5 miles of location the 5 cheapest stations are.... some locations if you travel out more you can get a little more varience but why do i want to travel to buy fuel

my house... bicester, 0p difference
old house ...tamworth 1p difference
outlaws ...christchuch 1p difference
old work... leamington spa 3p difference ...we have a winner
parents... giffnock [south side of Glasgow] 0p difference
brothers house ....aberdeen 0p difference
random...... nottigham 1p difference

so the average seems to be between 0 and 1p

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 10-07-08 8:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
CEM, have plans to come and see you but thought that it would require a lot of planning, now that I know that Giffnock is within 5 miles it will be a piece of wee wee Laughing
snow conditions
ianmacd, sure, i'll just pack up the workshop and bring it north next time i come up wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy