Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

touring binding alpine boot?

Poster: A snowHead
Can an alpine boot be used with a touring binding?
But not the other way round?
So, makes sense to get touring bindings if thinking about doing touring in future?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, with any touring binding apart from Dynafits.

However, it's not recommended for the other way round... touring boots in alpine bindings are a bad idea.

Is it sensible to get them now if you want to tour in the future? Short answer: No, they pretty much suck for skiing in and give you a good excuse to buy even more skis later. I guess the real answer is: it depends. Lots of people do but it's a sacrifice.

As discussed many times the reason touring bindings are poor to ski in: they have a higher stack height off the ski and they suffer from slop or 'wobble'. Marker Duke / Barons go some way to reduce these issues but by improving the way they ski the skining / touring performance is reduced...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, the reason people use touring bindings is purely for the uphill bit and they settle for them because it's the only way?
Surely someone must have come up with a decent touring binding?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman wrote:
Surely someone must have come up with a decent touring binding?

No, it's always going to be a compromise. Touring bindings need to be as light as possible, and constructed so they can hinge at the toe when in touring mode. Alpine bindings need to be strong (and therefore heavy) and have no need to articulate at the toe.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
everything is a compromise - even the alpine bindings you are using unless they are proper race bindings.

the duke skis excellently and is fine for uncomplicated skinning

dynafits ski excellently but only work with compatible boots (there are lots of really good looking compatible boots coming out next season though). probably not recommended for the likes of parlor who just can't stop himself from jumping off things Wink also DIN only goes up to 10 (but a 12 model coming out next year - think that's right, no doubt someone will correct me if not) so not great if you are big, want to use that set up to ski aggressively but don't want to lock the binding completely

i wouldn't bother with fritschis or naxos now but plenty of people like them
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno wrote:
everything is a compromise - and the best compromise money can buy is telemark gear

So true. :P
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, depends how you measure "best" compromise Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
touring boots in alpine bindings are no bother as long as you're a bit careful and adjust bindings to accomodate. you'll see a fair few patrollers about who do just that and if you consider their mileage and terrain mix to that of an average punter then it's gotta be ok. That said, why would you bother (unless you are actually a patroller, necessitating running about in the snow more than we would)

to be honest the difference between skiing both types of bindings arent all that noticeable to the average punter, or at least the positive/negative differences between the two aint that great. ok there are some times I wish i wasnt as high in my bindings when i'm on AT but not so much as to make me enjoy the day any less, and the versatility more than makes up for it. Depends on what you're happiest with, personally if was I was ever told (which I NEVER will be!) that i was only allowed one setup, I would go AT boots and AT binding - and I am by no means a hardcore tourer, more of a potterer who still uses the lifts for probably the majority of my time spent on the hill. That's just personal preference. (that said I do want to get even more gear in the future and have at telemarking!)

try a few setups if you can and don't overthink it. This place is full of advice - and it's a pretty useless excercise normally to find uniform advice on here!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barry wrote:
touring boots in alpine bindings are no bother as long as you're a bit careful and adjust bindings to accomodate. you'll see a fair few patrollers about who do just that and if you consider their mileage and terrain mix to that of an average punter then it's gotta be ok. That said, why would you bother (unless you are actually a patroller, necessitating running about in the snow more than we would)

disagree - someone did a test with a proper machine on TGR and found that the rubber soles *dramatically* affected the release characteristics of bindings. maybe patrollers are happy to take the risk (and it's not like they fall a lot anyway) but a holiday skier should only decide to use that sort of set-up with their eyes wide open
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure anyone will warrant safety on a non ISO sole in an alpine binder.

Tele is a great compromise but its neither completely efficient on the way up or down, although full pivot tele bindings are now emerging. Aesthetically however you do get more face shots, in my case due to diving over the tips of the skis wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, faceplant /= faceshot
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
fatbob, faceplant /= faceshot

yeah yeah yeah - not quite worked out how to kick up a billowing wave of snow when I'm battling to stop tip dive.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Use boots with switchable alpine / touring sole to get the best of both worlds.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
..doh

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 8-07-08 23:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno,

done this myself plenty of times (AT boots in downhill bindings) without issue and fell over more than once too! I no longer do this as have now permanent matches for my booties and my bindies.
I take the point that they aint supposed to be compatible, but if you're careful it's doable and they do fit, good enough for me (and hence my eyes are wide open as you rightly suggest). And i would suggest that there aint a huge number of complete beginners (relatively) talking about buiying dedicated touring gear as their first kit, therefore those who do want AT stuff for the most part will have at least one eye open

Though of course I do recognise there are far more favourable options. I guess I just don't like seeing folk getting conned into buying kit for every (minute) change in terrain / style / whatever - and make no mistake about it there is an element of this practice within ski equipment (as with pretty much every thing consumerish) - though actually experience has thought me that if you do get conned in such fashion where ski gear is concerned, you actually end up being happy about it on account of all the shiny gear you've got! Very Happy

see what i mean about the quantity vs. quality (or at least diversity) of advice on here (ignore my tag line below by the way!!) Laughing

GordonFreeman, whichever direction you end up going, hope you get good deals and enjoy it
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, Try Tele. Then the boots and bindings are the same snowHead I've lost count of the times I've not adjusted Mrs Skis Fritschi - equipped Phat Luvs to the boots she's deigned to wear that day rolling eyes
ski holidays
Beefy touring boot with ISO or Vibram sole...will take about 5 mins to change the soles...
Still needs a degree of planning though..so you need to get out 15 mins before the others for this faff
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy