Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys Express (Orelle- Val Thorens link)

Poster: A snowHead
I am going to Valloire at New Year. There is place called Orelle about 1/2 hour away, from here you can catch the 3 Valleys Express gondola which takes you to the top Right of the 3 Valleys.

I have decided to take an extra 3 days and take advantage of the 3 Valleys at it's quietest. Looking at the Piste map you have to take the Chamois which is graded as a red run, to enter the rest of the area if you enter from the 3V Express. The question I need answering is how difficult is this run for a nervous skier (my wife). She has this mental block about not being able to ski anything harder than a blue, anyone with first hand experience ?.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-07-08 11:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum skied down to Orelle at the end of April during the E o S B so you should be able to get a good honest opinion of it from her.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kel, there is an easy blue which may, or may not Embarassed be called Niverolles. Problem is you have to go round the back of the Grand Fond lift and it is a bit of an uphill slog.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

it is a bit of an uphill slog.

and can be an icy wind blown nasty place if the weather is not nice Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, it can be like that in good weather! The best free exfoliation know to man.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The top can be very scary for someone who isn't too confident, you have to ski on a 5 meter narrow curving traverse with a very steep drop on one side and bare rocks exposed on the other while at the same time it is possibly the windiest place in the whole resort and when I went it was so windy that it almost blew me back up Shocked (this is coming back from VT to orelle. Going out into VT is alot easier. Returning isn't that scary if your the only one their - this path was very busy and a collision could turn out very bad. The other 2 chairs going up the other side of orelle were the best runs in the resort imo, they were very quite and very long - I managed to improve alot on these runs. Thoose 2 chairs are a days skiing, you might be able to break her into doing red runs on the first day if you do them.

But orelle isn't exactly in a great location, you won't be able to do much of the skiing in courchevel if any.

edit: i seriously wouldn't suggest trying to take that blue, you alreaddy have to take that traverse once a day and it is not a nice experience and I don't think it would be safe having people slogging up while people are skiing down.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kel, What you experience is affected in the weather at the time, wind or bad viz can certainly get your attention. As jj193, stated, the top path is rather narrow. The ski down into Val Thorens via the blue Niverolles is ok but the bottom part called Fond can get worn and churned up. When I was there in April this year, the red Rhodos was in far better condition. The Red tag put people off. Conditions do vary,
If in doubt, they have an excellent Funitel Grand Fond that you can take down the hill towards Val Thorens. The runs from the top are, by their very nature long, and can be a confidence breaker, you'll need to gauge what this could mean in your case.
I'm sure Megamum will be along shortly to recount her experience of Fond, it drove her to drink! Never seen anyone (including Charlatanefc) deal with a large beer as efficiently! Respect! The next day on Rhodos was breeze in comparison, but please remember, piste conditions vary.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well if your wife gains some confidence in Valloire at new year in a good confidence building resort. Her confidence might not be an issue.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christopher wrote:
Well if your wife gains some confidence in Valloire at new year in a good confidence building resort. Her confidence might not be an issue.

That was my initial motive for going to Valloire in the 1st place. She has several years skiing behind her and technically she is pretty good, it's when she gets to narrow pistes with shear drops off the side that freak her out and I do not think she will ever be able to overcome this fear, she even gets it when we go out hill walking.

Thanks for all replies, I honestly think if we went up the 3V express and attempted to ski down into VT it would put her off for life and after reading the replies on here there is absolutely no chance of getting her up there now anyway.

Now planning on moving onto ADH for a few extra days (i.e. stopping there) and I know that she will be fine there as long as I don't try taking her down "The Tunnel"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kel,Ski-ing down to VT may be an issue, but dont discount the option of taking the cable car down. There's no shame in doing that, done it many times when 'conditions' require it. You'd miss out on a excellent ski area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BMF_Skier wrote:
Kel,Ski-ing down to VT may be an issue, but dont discount the option of taking the cable car down. There's no shame in doing that, done it many times when 'conditions' require it. You'd miss out on a excellent ski area.

No I won't because I'm going there in Feb without the nervous one in tow Laughing in fact I am going with my son so I become the nervous one Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kel, OK, here I am - I recognise the 'I can't do anything but a blue run' syndrome - your other half sounds like I was when I started my week in VT - only I was doing 'scared witless' too, so here is an honest assessment working on the theory that your other half skis at least as well I do and has the mind set that I recognise in me from the start of my holiday in April this year, which I think she does

OK, Orelle valley top to bottom - Long chairlift to get you up to the top - runs fast to get on - mind it doesn't whack you under the legs.

To ski back down the Orelle valley - wouldn't recommend the red to your other half, the blue is narrow in places but not wind swept and no fightening drop offs to look over - its just not that wide and if width without drop-offs is not an issue for her is a relatively easy ski down - check before you commit to coming down it that it is OPEN - FOR ITS ENTIRE LENGTH!! The only other option is the red which about half way down has a longish section that can get horribly mogulled and highly unpleasent - reduced me to a quivering heap on the ground.

Orelle into VT - have to hike for about 500 yards or so - slightly uphill - can take it out of you if not fit. Even coming in the opposite direction although you could probably ski in some places I walked both ways - it is not steep though just quite a steep drop off on one side that didn't make me want to trust me on skis as it is narrow too. Is quite possible to walk though - I did the trip twice and walked each time - is possibly a 'fair weather trip though'.

Top of VT down into VT itself. Via Niverolles. Niverolles is nice bluey blue, yes for about 500yds is is narrower than at other points, but there is plenty of scope and available width to ski close to the mountain side (and it is wide enough that when close to the mountain you can't see over the free edge) - no where near as narrow as the blue down to Orelle on the other side. It becomes Fond according to piste map and the part of the run down to the top of Plateau is good blue run for a semi competent blue skier (well I had no problems) it has slightly steeper pitches but those are superbly wide and you can make them as steep as you want to. You then have a few options. The bottom half of Fond (turn right at the top of Plateau), in the middle of the day when it churned up (Yetch) - well - the piste markers got it wrong - its a red by any other name - I'd have never made it without the encouragement of BMF_Skier, who to be fair did try very hard to talk me into Rhodos, but I refused on the basis that I would 'only ski blues' - boy was that ever a mistake. Only redeeming feature is at the bottom you are very close to beer!!

You can ski Plateau (keeping the park on your right) followed by Lagopede - they are Blue and quite skiable - you can make good time when you know you getting close to last lift!! Or you can ski Rhodos - I did this the second day. Rhodos is the red that will make you realise how difficult some blues (bottom half of Fond) can be. Yes, its a little steeper for longer, but no steeper than the shorter sections on Niverolles and its lovely and wide. It was my first 'voluntary' red (i.e. hadn't been dragged down by an instructor) and only my second red ever, if your other half can ski most blues competetently I would recommend Rhodos as an easy bluey red to introduce the next set of markers. Tell you what, take her down the second part of Fond first and she will wonder if you then do Rhodos what all the fuss over piste colours is all about.

I would recommend the trip to your wife whatever route down into VT you take - there is a tremendous feeling of accomplishment from skiing down from what feels the top of the world. However, its a long way and you have the walk at the top - its probably a fair weather trip as I said

Just make damn sure that before you commit to the descent back into Orelle that the Blue 'Gentianes' WILL (that's WILL!!!!) be open. I wouldn't recommend the bottom part of Mauriennaise to any committed blue run skier - unlike Rhodos which is quite a 'doable' proposition in comparison. There is excellent skiing across the VT valley for your wife just as there was for me. Take her there she will enjoy herself!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum,

Thank You for the in-depth report. I honestly think that the daily slog of driving to Orelle from Valloire, then having to negotiate these difficult runs would not appeal to my other half.

Much easier to pack up and move onto somewhere else early Saturday morning, ADH is looking fauvorite as it is only 80 mins drive from Valloire according to tomtom and I know the whole area better myself, as I have been on my own without the restrictions of having to guide the missus. Very wide flattering blue runs especially going down into "Villard Reculas". You should try the resort for yourself I think it would suit.

We have actually skied the 3 Valleys before but tended to stick to the more central Meribel Valley, but this was a few years ago and as I mentioned previously I am back out there in Feb in the lovely picturesque Les Menuires on our annual boys only trip without any restrictions snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel, There's plenty of other small resorts near Valloire that you could explore in the few days, La Norma, Val Frejus, Termignon, Val Cenis, Bonneval. All have a good mix of terrain and charm.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
srobbo, adding to his point these are also known for their good progressing intermediate qualities.
ski holidays
 Jan Henderson
Jan Henderson
Was interested in reading this thread as am considering a family holiday based in Orelle but was concerned about my nine-year-old daughter who is still not much more than a beginner coping with the liaison.

I sampled it about 5/6 years ago and it seemed a bit tricky for anyone inexperienced or nervous, especially in bad weather - and we are looking at going in January...

Do you have the option of taking a lift down either side if necessary? I can envisage scared daughter not wanting to negotiate the runs down to VT in the morning and tired daughter not wanting to ski back down to Orelle in the afternoon.
snow conditions
Jan Henderson, the top lift up from orelle is a chair so doubt you can use that to get down on the way home

you could get half way down to VT in a gondola but that would involve a few minutes walk to catch it once you got to the top in the morning

unless you are a reasonably confident skier i think staying in the Orelle to ski the 3Vs is a bit dafft!
ski holidays
Jan Henderson, Orrelle is a good gateway to the 3V if your in one of the maurienne resorts but def not a place for a holiday, its dark damp and jammed up against the road and the motorway.
snow report
Niverolles is nice and straightforward in good weather, but add in some of the conditions that we experienced in April (appalling visibility and just generally naff weather) and it can be quite nasty, especially if it's a bit cut up. Not so much technically, but it can really sap your confidence if you're having a bad day and trying to ski down something you can't see.

jj193 wrote:
The top can be very scary for someone who isn't too confident, you have to ski on a 5 meter narrow curving traverse with a very steep drop on one side and bare rocks exposed on the other while at the same time it is possibly the windiest place in the whole resort and when I went it was so windy that it almost blew me back up

Snap. On my first foray into Orelle I almost skied straight off the edge of the sudden drop, because although there's warning poles there, it was impossible to see which side was supposed to be the safe side, and which was 'out-of-bounds'! When I seen it a couple of days later, I was extremely glad that I'd made the right choice! When you can see where you're going and you're not scared of heights/sudden drops though, it's not that bad in my opinion.

jj193 wrote:
Going out into VT is alot easier. Returning isn't that scary if your the only one their - this path was very busy and a collision could turn out very bad.

I wouldn't be too scared of having an accident on it - it's pretty much slow and flat and there aren't any out of control lunatics (that I seen) speeding along it (and I'd be envious of any I did see - with a strong headwind it's damn hard work getting to the other side!). From Orelle into Val Thorens, if you want to be at Grand Fond you'd be better off taking your skis off and walking.
ski holidays
Jan Henderson, If you are looking at the 3V but staying away from the traditional resorts think about Brides le Bains. Its a 20 to 30 min Gondela to the centre of Meribel but definatley do-able. If you have a car I think its even easier. We staid in Les Alues one year but if I went back I would certainly look as its a lot cheaper for not much increase in hassle
snow report
 Jan Henderson
Jan Henderson
Sounds like Orelle's definitely out then...... thanks for the advice.

May look at Brides Les Bains as cheaper option, thanks GF.
snow conditions
Gilberts Fridge, Jan Henderson,

worth noting that the gondola down stops quite early, 5 or 5.30 I think so no good if you want an apres ski beer or 3 in meribel
snow report
Quote:
ADH is looking fauvorite as it is only 80 mins drive from Valloire according to tomtom

Be careful, that route may include mountain passes which are closed in the winter (Col du Telegraph and Col du Galibier). In winter, you will have to go back towards Grenoble, or through the Tunnel de Frejus and across the Col du Montgenevre and through Briancon.
How about Bardoneccia in Italy, which is through the Frejus tunnel?
snow report
Helen Beaumont, The Col du Telegraph must be open for the duration of the winter as its the only access road to Valloire in the winter. That was slightly misleading. But yes you're right you'd have to go via the frejus tunnel and col de montgenevre to get to Alpe d'Huez. That would result in a much longer journey.

Kel, Bardoneccia is a good shout, I wouldn't rule out the Via Lattea (Milky Way). There is the mixture of the olympic downhill/super G courses in Sansicario and Sestriere with Sauze d'Oulx aswell. For your wife Montgenevre is another good resort for developing/timid intermediates similar to Valloire I believe, however you may want a different experience. Going to Italy would would be a change in scene and culture. The milky way has some good off piste if that takes your fancy aswell.
ski holidays
Christopher, sorry didn't mean to be misleading, I assumed the top section of the road, on the approach to the Galibier, above Valloire was also the Telegraph.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, The other route from Valloire that the satnav may be suggesting is over the Col de la Croix du Fer. The Tour de France will go over that route on Wednesday.
latest report
rjs, I'm afraid that is one of the Col's which isn't kept open in the winter.

In that neck of the woods the only passes open in the winter are the Col de Montgenevre, Col du Latauret and Col du Telegraph.

It must be taken into account that they can also close in white outs and blizzards.
ski holidays
rjs, Croix de la Fer will definitely close for the winter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christopher, I wasn't suggesting that it would be open, just that it looks a similar distance to using the Galibier and that a satnav might have picked it.

The route through the Frejus would also require going over the Col du Lautaret to get to ADH.
snow report
rjs, it would indeed. The Col du Lautaret is open the majority of the winter. So I wouldn't worry about it being open to be honest.
snow report
a mate of mine made a navigation error while trying to traverse the Grandes Rousses from ADH and ended up in St Sorlin d'Arves. He had to come back via Grenoble - so it's a pretty long way round when the passes are closed
ski holidays
rjs, Christopher, Lauteret is only closed for short periods, although it was closed for about 5 days when we visited Monetier in March 2006. due to avalanche risk. We got there via Tunnel de Frejus, and they opened the Lauteret about an hour before we left on the Friday morning.
snow conditions
I'm currently sat in Orelle - lovely in the Summer at close to 30 degrees. Tour de France came nearby this week and plently of walking/mountain biking etc.

But you're interested in the winter not the summer . . . should be able to give a proper first hand take on it as we have had a house out here for a year now.

We take Ryanair Stansted/Turin - just paid £30 return (inc taxes) for a few long weekends next year. It's then about 1.5 hrs from Turin thro' Frejus Tunnel. Cheap car hire with Hertz. Alternative is to fly to Chambery (about and hour away) or Lyon or Grenoble (both about 2 hours drive). Geneva is Ok but more like a 3 hour trip.

The bubble is 15 mins up in the morning and 15 mins down in the afternoon. That's when we doing our route planning/sun cream etc or start dishing out stick for any mistakes made during the day which continues in the bar. Rarely a queue in the week but can get a bit busy at weekends as the Italians seem to love it . . . so either be early or late.

If you're looking for night life then it's not the place for you but I'm here with family or lads and we're more than capable of making our own entertainment !! There is a bar at the bottom of the lift and there is now a restaurant/spa/swimming pool/supermarket in the appartments they have just built (and are now building the second phase). I think you can now rent these appartments by the week.

Not much sun in December in the Valley but hey we're up the mountain most of the time not sat in the house wondering where the sun is !! 15 minute ride up gets you to 2300m. Nice to have a burn around the Orelle Valley but we're normally over into Val T and beyond - you can be in Courchevel for coffee for 11:30 if you go for it.

If you take the red run into Val T then it is a bit steep. A short walk (5 mins) gives a nice blue run into the town though (guess you could even get the 'Grand Fond down but seems to defeat the object of skiing). My wife wasn't a confident skier at the start of last year (40 something with only 2 weeks skiing in her legs last year) and coped really well especially when she didn't fancy the walk one day and took the red down and got over the 'Red Fear'. She will now get down anything. My two children (5 and Cool were fine as well and now my biggest problem is keeping them in sight but wouldn't take a novice up as there are no greens (just a small nursery slope at the top of the bubble). Ski schools are good - my son thinks one of the instructors (Xavier) is the coolest guy in the world as he does back flips during the lesson !

To come down to the top of the bubble in the evening from the top of the valley there is a red run down - not hard except in one place where you can take the blue around it. Othewise a blue zig zags down right from the top. Bar at the bottom of the slope (before you get the bubble back down). We tend to stop there for the first beer of the evening before we get the bubble down.

Can get a bit windy - lift was closed for a couple of days last year when we were out here but you drive to one of the other resorts - Valmeinier/Valloire are good fun for a day or so.

So no regrets about being out here - like the fact we can get here quickly without a long drive. Easy access to 3V but at a fraction of the cost of the main resorts. Main downside for some would be the lack of nightlife - the 15 minute ride in the morning is nothing.
snow report
alti - dude, useful information, thanks for taking the time to post.
snow conditions
Hi,

I see lots of talk on whether passes are open or not. Here's a hand website for checking status.

http://www.infotrafic.com/route.php?region=FRANC&link=cols.php?ALPS

Hopefully helpful
snow report
Hi,

I'm thinking of visiting Orelle Easter 2010.

Question is this . . . Is the link open most of the time ? I notice someone posted earlier that it was down a couple of days during their week's holiday.
I'm not interested in going if I can't get over to VT with high probability. Going at Easter I wouldn't expect closure for winds. Also the Orelle website claims the resort was open unitl May last year - and Easter is early April in 2010.

I once visited La Thuile (Italy) fully expecting to be able to get to Rosiere on the French side - but it was near impossible - we didn't get there all week.
snow conditions
hodgie, thanks for that link, and welcome to snowHeads Smile

I think the Orelle gondola is scheduled to be open all the time the skiing in Val Thorens is open. I suppose, like all lifts, it might occasionally break down or need maintenance, but I think there's a procedure in place to get skiers back in to the Val Thorens valley if the lift does stop unexpectedly. This was tested at the end of April when some snowHeads were in the resort.
latest report
The key thing is that it is very rare for the lift to be closed - it happens a few days a year and you might just be unlucky like you can be at any resort. The days it is closed are normally really windy days when most of VT is closed anyway so it's not as though you miss much - they don't close it without good reason. The worst I've known it was when it was closed for 2 days. I've not had it closed at Easter in the 2 years I've been going out there.

Right now they are putting in place a new 6 man lift that will take you from the bottom the Orelle ski runs back to the top for the return into VT. The main reason they are doing it is to reduce the closures as frankly otherwise there was nothing wrong with the old one !
snow report
Thanks for those speedy replies guys. Looks like I'm gonna be booking a trip.

I did put down a deposit on one of the leaseback properties Hameau des Eaux (Is that what it was called ?) but backed out when I saw the terms of the lease (much of the rent to be paid in holiday vouchers rather than cash). Being a keen cyclist, Orelle would be a good base for both my favourite sports.

I see one guy wasn't terribly impressed with it . . http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=orelle+des+eaux&sub-search.x=0&sub-search.y=0 - but hopefully there are some other apartments to choose from.
ski holidays
Hodgie,

Good call on the cycling - did the Col Du Telegraphe and Col du Galibier weekend before last. However, thought I had done a really good job getting to the top and was admiring the view when 2 guys came up on a couple of unicycles and I didn't feel so triumphant after that !
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy