Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding as Second Discipline

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, thanks for that.

I have to agree that

1) learning something new from scratch does make you remember what it's like to learn to ski for people, because you forget after doing it reasonably well for a while I guess.

2) when I was doing my Level 1 Alpine last month I remembered how knackering (and a pain in the a*se when you can just herringbone up the slope usually!) it is to side step up the slope and it was making my calves ache (we had to do this pretending to be students in a "lesson" while one of the guys in our group was being the "instructor"

3) when doing the shadowing on my local dry slope (part of gaining the Level 1 qualification is a number of shadowing hours) I've seen people sweating absolutely bucket loads when learning to snowplough and snowplough turn. They are mostly knackered so that brings it home too

4) performing the perfect demonstration of all the separate parts of the process (called The Central Theme) for students to potentially see (in time) was actually quite difficult after skiing parallel for yonks!

It does remind you of what learning to ski entails! I can remember in March 2006 (in Bad Kleinkirchheim actually) learning snowplough turns I nearly packed in skiing because I just couldn't "get it" and was in tears practically because the hire boots were killing me! I felt a bit miffed with myself.

If I remember correctly, holding a long floppy piece of sponge to help me turn Laughing Laughing (the inner ski was not being released from having too much weight on it, so that was one of the problems) did the trick and by the end of the week I was parallel skiing all over the sunny resort of BKK! (without the sponge I hasten to add wink Laughing ) Yahoo.

So I know what you go through. Needless to say I'm glad I didn't pack it in 2.5 years ago as look what has come of it since. All sorts of wonderful things, people I've met, laughs I've had and all round the best thing I ever did wink snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum wrote:
It's almost reassuring to know that instructors can still experience that sensation and maybe, therefore, understand how their pupils in their first discipline might be feeling.

It's very rare that I don't feel out of control and out of my depth at least a once a day when I'm skiing. I'm frequently unsure about how to tackle something, and frequently fail to succeed the first dozen times (and usually much more than that) when I try something new. Any good skier who doesn't feel that type of challenge is probably not making the most of all their skiing experience. So I don't think I have a problem with empathy for anyone I've been teaching, not least because I'm still very much in the "learning phase" myself. The day when I think I've completed my learning phase it's time to take up another hobby. All the instructors I know well have a very similar attitude.

VolklAttivaS5, I think you're very brave (or should that be very dumb Wink ) to learn to board on plastic Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 14-07-08 7:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VolklAttivaS5, how soft are you keeping your knees and ankles? Without seeing you it does sound like your too stiffened up to absorb your board movements over the surface. When you relax your lead leg onto the tongue of your boot, your mass will go forward and your toes will automatically pressure the edge. Don't try to use your ankles to rotate your toes into the slope. Don't wory about your rear leg, just let it be soft and neutral to begin with. As your toe edge bites, the board will turn and as it turns the rear of the board will begin to sldeslip around. That's when you lower your rear knee to slightly pressure that end of the toeside edge. It will grip and if you move your mass to be central over your stance, you will traverse across the slope.

To release and turn from there to heelside. Gently release the edges and move your weight forward. Don't try to lean or pressure the heel edge yet, just let your mass turn the board down the hill. Once you pass the straight down the fall-line point, drop your leading knee and hip and you'll feel the leading heel edge begin to grip and turn the board across the slope. Again, when you feel the rear leg begin to slip, take your weight back a little and engage the rear leg heel edge and traverse the hill.

Try not to over analyse. More important is to not look down and to really relax. Keep your legs soft to absorb the small movements that knock you off balance. Don't exaggerate your upper body and shoulder movement, a board is best steered from your hips down. Look to where you want to go and your body will try to get there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
VolklAttivaS5, something tells me you need a different instructor! Maybe there's a reason why you're the only in in the group. Twisted Evil What you describe sounds much more like starting off with a diagonal side slip on your front edge - definitely something you'd do, in both directions and on both edges, before going on to a complete edge to edge turn. It's the "get out of jail card" of snowboarding (she said confidently, by no means always able to do it!). You remain on the front edge the whole time. Heels still come into it though, as you are pressing down a bit more into your front foot heel to get going, and your back foot heel to slow down. A more "loopy" controlled thing then becomes a garland. When you fall, are you falling forwards or backwards?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5, right I'm going to reply to your post before reading the other posts.

Don't roll your knees, change the pressure you exert with your foot e.g. to turn to toe edge start by pushing with your little toe of your front foot then move along to the big toe then the back foot starting with the big toe, the same with going to heel side: start on the outside of the front heel and move the pressure along the edge of the board.

Quote:
falling leaf
Gah, bet Masque has said this already but although it's a very useful technique at times it shouldn't be the first thing taught to beginners, this is responsible for all the "bulldozing" comments aimed at boarders.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5, time for a trip to the snowdome ! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Read the rest of it now,

I think Lizzard is quoting me. She's correct in so far as later on in your boarding career you want to stay on edge the whole time but when you're starting out it's the easiest way to be aware of what the whole board is doing round the whole turn.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't know what he's trying to get you to do but it certainly doesn't sound like a RH turn for a goofy rider.

I agree that falling leaf while a useful exercise in sideslip control is not a universal panacea and in fact can be detrimental to progression IMO.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar,
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, I think you're very brave (or should that be very dumb ) to learn to board on plastic

You Meanie. wink Well, I like a challenge! Also the dry slope at Pontypool (although deserted this time of year) is the nearest one to me and I wanted to learn how to board over the summer months instead of using any winter time doing it in resort, plus the lessons are cheap. Mind you, they say if you can get the technique right on plastic then when you get on snow it's a piece of cake (apparently)! Snow is much more forgiving and also bad habits like swinging the board round to turn instead of using pressure can breed on snow. Apparently.

Even though it sounds like the instructor isn't the best then I was hoping I could pick it up quickly myself despite this. Saying that, I'm not doing badly at all considering I've only had 2 hours of lessons so far. Blush

By the way can you already board or are you going to have to learn from scratch like me?

david@mediacopy, I will be going to Tamworth Snowdome Monday 4th Aug-Friday 8th Aug to finish my shadowing hours for Alpine so I will be there in the evenings with my board to see what it's like on "snow"! I was hoping to be turning by then though myself so I could use the Snowdome to practice in. Looks like I could do with a lesson on "snow" by the sounds of it with someone different Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5, no, only had three hours on a board, a long time ago. So if I go for that as second discipline I'll be starting from scratch. Good luck with it Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, something tells me you need a different instructor! Maybe there's a reason why you're the only in in the group. Twisted Evil What you describe sounds much more like starting off with a diagonal side slip on your front edge - definitely something you'd do, in both directions and on both edges, before going on to a complete edge to edge turn. It's the "get out of jail card" of snowboarding (she said confidently, by no means always able to do it!). You remain on the front edge the whole time. Heels still come into it though, as you are pressing down a bit more into your front foot heel to get going, and your back foot heel to slow down. A more "loopy" controlled thing then becomes a garland. When you fall, are you falling forwards or backwards?

I'm falling forwards onto my front pam w. What you said above sounds like that's what I'm doing. What do you mean "get out of jail card".

Thing is, I do think you're right about maybe I need a different instructor! Having been through the BASI Level 1 system myself (this guy isn't BASI by the way) I know what to expect if you like as I'm sure the learning process in stages is quite similar to teaching someone to ski. I did think to myself the last couple of times that he wasn't much cop (as an instructor due to lack of demos and me having to prompt him to do a demo etc) but thought I'd hopefully pick it up in a few hours lessons (I'm only on 2 hours so far) and as I said to rob@rar the slope is only down the road from me, it's cheap and convenient and absolutely deserted this time of year and can get a one to one lesson etc rather than going to the Snowdome which is a good 90 miles away! The plan was (despite the skills of the instructor) to get me to making S shapes from the top and then off I go to develop myself.

Mind you, there is no doubt this young chap is a brilliant boarder and skier as he skis and boards in parks and pipes and things, so he must be skilled, however as we all know the best boarders/skiers don't always make the best teachers!

wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, thanks! It's certainly "different" anyway but I will endeavour! I'm confident I can have it nailed (making S shapes anyway) with another couple of hours lessons! Yeehaa!

Masque, I'm not thinking about keeping anything soft at the moment! Just trying to get my head round what I'm meant to be doing with my feet. I think I got my head round it all thinking about it in bed last night. Interesting about what you said about pushing forwards onto the tongue of the boot instead of using your ankles to rotate your toes. I have been trying to steer it using my lower body instead of trying to chuck the board around.

fatbob, Swirly, interesting about your thoughts on the Falling Leaf. I like that one and I find it easy especially on the heel side. I like heel side more than toe side.

I'm going to go to Tamworth as I said to david@mediacopy in a couple of weeks,then at the end of August I will be at Chill Factore on the Sunday night. Swirly, can you come to Chill Factore so I can see you board? Blush
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5, "get out of jail" card in that you can just side slip your way down the slope, if you bottle out of turning. As in skiing. My son's GF mastered this and would come neatly down - on her feet - and I would dash off and turn my way down, and fall several times. We met about the same time at the bottom, but I was more knackered! I am now completely confused because if you can easily do the "falling leaf" I don't see why you're having so much problem with what sounds like a garland. Even if the instructor is calling it a toe to heel side turn! If you do that you start facing up the hill, and end up facing down, having switched the board from toe edge to heel edge.

Without establishing quite clearly what you are actually trying to accomplish, it's hard to envisage what might be happening. If you perfectly accomplished the manoevre you're aiming at, what would it look like? Have you looked at skiTV -

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skitv/playlist.asp?intCategoryID=14

The scary moment is when the board is in motion straight down the fall line, and you have to switch edges. There's no snowboard equivalent of a snowplough turn. Turn parallel, or not at all! If you snatch at the edges to change too soon - that's when you do the catapulting edge-catch fall. I did one of those onto my back and head at Milton Keynes and saw the point of the compulsory helmet. The whiplash was severe enough to make watching TV a bit of a trial for a few days.... I had a similarly bone-shaking fall when I caught the front edge, because I was on a track, and bottled out of really committing myself to the heel-edge ride towards the edge.

By the way, I think the point Masque makes is really important and useful even for beginners - it helped me. Just sag, sack of potatoes, and use your feet to steer the board. I don't think "Lower body" really needs to come into it at all. I find it helps to envisage myself in very baggy trousers, stoned.....not to mention around 14 years old.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, I'm sure that you'll hook up with one of the Tamworth boarding guys who'll be able to point you in the right direction. I know some teach both so you should be OK. I'll see if I can make it over for one of the evenings too - just the excuse I need.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5, if I'm around I'll come across, that's not long before I go to Chamonix so there's a high chance I'll be up a hill somewhere desperately trying to get fit though.
snow conditions
pam w, yep I've watched Becci Malthouse's videos on Ski TV before I started lessons. In fact I used her squeezing fruit under your toes analogy when I was learning to toe side slip! It worked a treat but then again she is an expert so it probably does.

I think I am meant to be coming round onto my heel side (and therefore end up facing down the slope before starting the next turn) but I am falling down (bottling it) before I get the chance to put pressure on my back foot heel side.

david@mediacopy, I think that sounds like a good plan.
latest report
Swirly, you're going to Chamonix in September? Mountain biking is it? Oh, it would be great if you could come over I'd really like to see you board. I've got another boarding friend who I met on the BASP First Aid course who is coming as well. I'm sure you will find it a value adding experience! wink
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, climbing although I might do a bit of biking especially if the weather's bad. I've been desperately trying to avoid doing it as it seems like something I'll really enjoy but it's too expensive to take up another sport.

You never know, I spent a couple of hours with a friend who was learning to board in Morzine this winter. I used the time to try and improve my switch riding which I've always neglected so it was a morning well spent.
latest report
Swirly, cool. I love all these outdoor sports and would love to do all of them, but I would end up paying for nice new things for all of them otherwise like you say! I have already invested in some Salomon Ivy snowboard boots but then again they were £100 so not as expensive as ski boots and so important to have own boots with either discipline.

Will be good to meet you if you can get over! You can tell me about your plans for Les Deux Alpes at the same time., I'm itching to do a season myself, but alas, I will have to wait a wee while longer.
snow report
Quote:

I am falling down (bottling it) before I get the chance to put pressure on my back foot heel side.

you need to get firmly onto your FRONT foot heelside first, though, as you go "round the bend". That's the move that you're bottling, by the sound of it. Only once you're round does the back foot heelside come into play, to brake your speed you'd otherwise be picking up down the fall line. You sort of sink down onto the board as you come round (position described to me as the one you'd take up if you were in a dirty public toilet trying not to touch the seat...)
ski holidays
pam w, oh right. So let me get this straight.

My board is across the fall line to my right from my weight being on my front foot toes. My weight is on front foot toes currently.

He said to put weight onto back foot toe to equalise board, then I put weight on front foot heel side to come round the bend, then I put weight on back foot heel side to brake as it were.

Front foot for accelerator back foot to brake, (got that from Becci Malthouse's Ski TV). Then when board is going across the fall line again (in the opposite direction to just now with my body now facing down the hill) I put weight on the front foot toes again, then back foot toes to finish that curve in the direction I was originally travelling (in my case with my body facing up the hill as goofy footed)

Is that it?

So it's toe toe heel heel, toe toe heel heel?
ski holidays
Quote:

He said to put weight onto back foot toe to equalise board, then I put weight on front foot heel side to come round the bend, then I put weight on back foot heel side to brake as it were.

yes, but the weight goes across to the front foot toe side first, then rolls round to the heelside. I don't think you could go straight from the back foot toe to the front foot heel.
Quote:

Front foot for accelerator back foot to brake

yes when you're on your back edge, but of course other way round if you're on the front edge - then it's heel down to speed up, braking on the front edge.

Quote:

when board is going across the fall line again (in the opposite direction to just now with my body now facing down the hill)

this is the second of two linked turns, right? In that case, I guess your weight will have to be shifting in order to get the board through the fall line, rather than after it's happened.

Yes, toe toe heel heel - the weight rocks round the board and changes direction (clockwide/anticlockwise) as you go into the transition to the next turn. Neil McNab shows that really well. I practised it mentally all through a session at the dentist having a root canal filling....

Please don't take my word for it though - you need someone more experienced!
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, essentially that's right but that is the 'aggressive, know what you're doing' technique. This is what really bunches my panties. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

FIRST rule of boarding is BALANCE . . . second is RELAX. They are intimately related. You cannot control a board if you're too stiff to respond to it (just like skiing). Turning a board is a sequence of movement inputs and balance responses. Your instructor seems to be asking you to do them at his level of competence without breaking down the sequence so that you can learn each element and then string them together at improving speed. But at all times you need to be in dynamic balance. You can ONLY do that if you're relaxed.

Relaxing your leg posture, a gentle sag, with your head up and looking out will help you not just to avoid falling but will assist with your edge pressure as you will recognise and be able to respond to your board movements both faster and with more control.

If you're on a traverse (toe or heel) with the full edge engaged in the surface, the release does not need to be a 'full-on' drive to the opposite edge, it just needs for you to soften off the edge grip, move your weight forward and the board will naturally turn down the fall-line. It allows you to collect your balance and then initiate the next part of the turn. If you try this sequence at a shallow slope angle first so that you learn to string the elements together at a safe/moderate pace, then, once it becomes a seamless movement take it back up the hill and increase your speed.
snow report
Masque, I agree. I asked if I could try the movements further down the hill, even on a bit that is too shallow so I could get the feel of the movements in sequence and he said it wouldn't work Puzzled. What shall I do then? Shall I have a lesson at the Snowdome with a BASI instructor when I go up there or continue with this chap? What do you reckon? I think perhaps try someone else but perhaps it's me that isn't getting it.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 14-07-08 21:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I must say his explanations could do with being a bit more exact. I've found out more from here than I have from him really. I know what you mean about being relaxed, that makes sense like you say in the case with skiing. He hasn't mentioned soft legs or relaxing at all. I know that though from my skiing.
ski holidays
Thinking too hard about all of this stuff is on a par with looking at your feet (or indeed gawping at your own navel) - you're going to fall over. Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard, no don't have any trouble with keeping my head up. Am used to that from skiing. I guess I have only had 2 hours lessons. Rome wasn't built in a day after all. Trouble is I am impatient. I will endeavour though and have it sorted soon enough.
snow report
Masque wrote:
If you're on a traverse (toe or heel) with the full edge engaged in the surface, the release does not need to be a 'full-on' drive to the opposite edge, it just needs for you to soften off the edge grip, move your weight forward and the board will naturally turn down the fall-line. It allows you to collect your balance and then initiate the next part of the turn. If you try this sequence at a shallow slope angle first so that you learn to string the elements together at a safe/moderate pace, then, once it becomes a seamless movement take it back up the hill and increase your speed.

Being patient will help too. Give the board time to turn down the fall line before changing edges. Can be scary though Skullie
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy, especially on a dry slope when it takes an age to come round.
snow report
pam w, my Neil McNab Go Snowboard book with DVD has just arrived! I've had a quick flip through the book just before going out and it looks good! I will watch the DVD when I get home later. Also I've got a book called Snowboarding Skills with some useful stuff in it to have a look at too. Hopefully both will help. Will feedback later, thanks for the tip about the book.
snow report
pam w, update about the Neil McNab Go Snowboard book and DVD.......much simpler thanks! Now if the instructor had explained it to me like they have in that book then I wouldn't have felt so Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled ! Very useful it was too, seeing the demonstrations on the DVD being done by a goofy rider, much easier to understand as you said it would be. Funnily enough because I've been used to thinking about skiing in the technical way, I did imagine that "pedalling" would come into boarding, and I was pleasantly surprised to see I was right and that it was mentioned in the Neil McNab book. Very Happy

I will leave having another lesson on the dry slope now I think until I go to Tamworth in a couple of weeks and try it on "snow" there. I will arrange a lesson with one of their BASI guys there.

The other book Snowboarding Skills was also very good with little bits of useful information here and there. One thing about me being goofy footed though.....in the various books it said to put your "strongest" foot as your back foot to steer with. Puzzled In this case, this would be my right foot, and so therefore according to that then my left foot would be forward and therefore I would be regular.

If I was to kick a football, run up stairs, or if I was pushed or pulled, I would use my right foot first to step out or kick the ball. On a skateboard I would have my right foot on the board and then push with my left foot, same as if on a scooter. Having my left foot at the front doesn't feel "right" to me so I must be goofy anyway right?

I don't suppose it matters because I will need to ride both stances eventually anyway.
snow report
Goofy doesn't have anything to do with being right footed - you just know which you are although various analogies are used to determine what a beginner is. The books aren't perfect as is not an exact science.
snow report
fatbob, ok. So it's whatever feels "right" then is it? Which one are you fatbob? And are you right footed?
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
If I was to kick a football, run up stairs, or if I was pushed or pulled, I would use my right foot first to step out or kick the ball. On a skateboard I would have my right foot on the board and then push with my left foot, same as if on a scooter. Having my left foot at the front doesn't feel "right" to me so I must be goofy anyway right?

Sounds like goofy to me. . . ride goofy too.
snow report
Quad post...

What I was trying to edit was.... I ride goofy too rolling eyes

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 18-07-08 18:38; edited 2 times in total
snow report
edit triple post - starting to get annoying now...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 18-07-08 18:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
edit, double post...
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, stand relaxed feet together, have your OH gently push you, whatever foot goes first should be at the front of a snowboard.
ski holidays
I'm goofy & right footed/handed but but know plenty of regular people who are RH/F

If it feels right and the other way feels unnatural then its probably what you are thoughI think people do sometimes change in the first few days.
snow conditions
arv wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, stand relaxed feet together, have your OH gently push you, whatever foot goes first should be at the front of a snowboard.

That's what I meant about being pushed/pulled above, I always step out first with my right foot so I'm definitely goofy.

david@mediacopy I'm going to have a lesson at Tamworth now and have packed in the dry slope lessons, only had 2 hours on a dry slope but hoping to get an hours lesson at Tamworth on Sunday 3rd August after I've done my days shadowing for my Alpine L1. If not, then sometime during that week. We will have to meet up in the evening as I'm doing shadowing all day every day that week 4th-8th Aug, hope that's ok?

Does anybody else want to come to Tamworth that week for a board with us? I hope I can make turns by then.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy