Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding as Second Discipline

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
roga, cheers. What was the name of that shop you mentioned to me the other day which is in Scotland who might sell Garmont boots by the way?

Mountain Spirit in Aviemore - website here, their About page mentions Garmont so I'd guess they supply them although what their stock is like at the moment I'm not sure. IIRC they're experts in off-piste/backcountry stuff, dealing with people who are heading straight into the local mountains and know their stuff, and have a reputation for being very good indeed up in Scotland (and if they weren't word would spread very quickly) so phoning them and seeking their advice might be useful.

It might also be worth posting a query on Winterhighland because some of the guys over there know the shop well and use them regularly and will be able to recommend who you should speak to (you can post on the forum without logging in so saves the hassle of registering/logging in if that puts you off).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VolklAttivaS5, learning to board at Tamworth souds like un utter nightmare. I always get the skis out at the first sign of hard packed conditions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I always get the skis out at the first sign of hard packed conditions.

I go to the park and wait for the sun to come out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, I think learning to board (for me anyway!) has been an nightmare from start to finish whether it's on a nasty rough dry slope that takes the skin off your elbows or a rock hard icy slope. You should see the bruises on my knees too. Much better to learn on nice soft snow that gives a bit when you fall in resort I think although you would lose a couple of days. Never mind. I was just getting into making some nice big flowy turns top to bottom too.

roga, ah thanks Rog. I'll have a look. I know what boots I want from speaking to Colin, a "Gearhead" online on Backcountry.com and general research online etc. I want a Garmont Xena A/T boot. The Gearhead chat online system at Backcountry.com is great by the way for advice and information, pity they're based in the States and you get customs charges if you buy something from them and get it posted to the UK. I would have bought from them if it wasn't for that based on service alone.

Will check out Mountain Spirit now cheers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5, real snow is going to be a treat then! Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, I sure hope so! I'm a bit afraid of more of the same though. I don't like the feeling of having both my feet attached to the same plank so to speak and can't step anywhere to save myself.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5, rubbish woman, it's all in your head. Laughing

I think you will be amazed at how much easier it is on decent soft snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, ok
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
rayscoops,
Quote:

I presume you can still risk skiing ?

Yeah, I wouldn't pack that in. I guess with skiing any falls tend to be to the side rather than to the front or back because the skis don't allow it.

I will probably try it again but will wait until my arm is fully mended (i.e not as soon as the plaster is off)

It's easier said that done not putting your arm out on backwards falls, on front falls I was falling correctly on my forearms, and on this backward one last night it was just reflex I suppose. Sad

actually i meant skiing with a broken arm, sounds like you are good enough not to fall and you do not really need those sticks in each hand wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, nah I won't be skiing until my cast is off. I will probably ski at the Snowdome again in mid September when my cast is off as I need to finish my shadowing hours anyway, and it will be good exercise for my elbow and shoulder as they tend to get a bit stiff from being not as animate as usual wearing a cast. My shoulder sure does ache from holding my arm up in the air when I'm having a bath and stuff like that.

No, you're right I ski without poles all the time (on piste) in resort even on the flat I prefer skating than poling-much easier and faster, I quite like skiing without them. I only need them for off piste really.

I'm going to get some wrist guards/gloves with wrist guards though to protect my wrists as much as possible and some knee pads to stop these horrible black bruises that I'm getting. Thank god real snow is going to be a much softer and more enjoyable experience falling over than on ice over the top of concrete. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy