Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please tell me that this bike riding lark is doing me good!!

Poster: A snowHead
for a pump use a the bolts that secure the water bottle.....you can get a clip with the mini pump!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got something like this. I bought mine a few years ago but it came with a "housing" that you fix the frame with cable ties and then place the pump in the housing and close it with velcro. Can do either type of tyre connector.
I stick to replacing the tube whilst cycling, then I patch the puncture when I get back home and can find a bowl of water etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chris wrote:
Megamum, make sure you have the seat high enough. You need to have almost full stretch on up/down pedal movement to get maximum efficiency.

Yes saddle height is very important esp for the knees. Here's a link with a couple of diagrams and an explanationof how to set the saddle height.

http://www.cartilagehealth.com/cycling.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv, and Elizabeth B, thanks. Allegedly, the tyres have kevlar in them, but I don't fancy relying on that. I do like the idea of carrying inner tubes - sometimes punctures are not that obvious to sort out quickly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, with the cost of tubes these days (buy on-line) it would cost you more in time/effort and angst to repair as opposed to fit a new one and throw the damaged one imo
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I carry 1 spare tube, frame mounted mini-pump (won't last much longer, so will replace with Camelbak soon when MTBing), a pack of self adhesive repair patches (handy given that the pack is only about 2-3cm square and 5mm deep), and enough euro coins to buy an emergency tram fare home and a coffee and cake.

The kevlar bead probably works very well against thorns and glass (although when wet, tyres are more susceptible), but not sure it would protect against pinchflats (more likely if you're going off road on non-off-road tyres).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marcellus, good point.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marcellus, whilst I carry a spare tube, repair kit and tyre levers I always repair the punctured tyre when I get home, normaly doesn't take long. Another useful tool for Megamum is a bike spanner on the assumption that she may not have quick release wheels! I use a pannier so I can be more expansive in what I carry, such as a bike lock but I also have a laminated piece of paper with my name and address on!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevew, I haven't tried them, but the flash looking wheels on my bike have levers that I think would release the wheels. I don't know if a spanner would be needed to dismount things like the carrier and cogs though to get the wheel free. I also have been carrying name, telephone numbers and address in my pocket - I also stuff similar into the kids pockets when skiing along with translations in French and German pertaining to the fact that they only speak English!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why dont you all just carry a mobile phone and if you puncture get your other half to come and pick you up. No pumps, tyre levers, puncture outfits, tubes, spanners.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, look where a bottle cage would be attached, you can often attach the pumps between the frame and the bottle cage with a small bracket.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fogliettaz wrote:
Why dont you all just carry a mobile phone and if you puncture get your other half to come and pick you up. No pumps, tyre levers, puncture outfits, tubes, spanners.

I do that too but sod's law says you will be furthest away from a road on a mountainbike trail not accessible by car or Landrover (as they can't jump barriers).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fogliettaz wrote:
Why dont you all just carry a mobile phone and if you puncture get your oth
er half to come and pick you up. No pumps, tyre levers, puncture outfits, tubes, spanners.

With a spare tube, tyre lever and a bit of pratice, I can be back on the road within 5 minutes. How long does it take your ofther half to come to you the last time you call?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
Fogliettaz wrote:
Why dont you all just carry a mobile phone and if you puncture get your oth
er half to come and pick you up. No pumps, tyre levers, puncture outfits, tubes, spanners.

With a spare tube, tyre lever and a bit of pratice, I can be back on the road within 5 minutes. How long does it take your ofther half to come to you the last time you call?

Well said Very Happy

However it does normally take me longer than 5 minutes!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevew wrote:

It really shouldn't unless the tyre is really, really tight on the rim. It particularly shouldn't if the tyre has already been on the wheel once, as the rubber between the beads has already been stretched (the bead centers have been offset and the casing rubber in between is more supple). For example, Michelin Pilot on Mavic Open Pro -> 2 minutes no tools except pump.

Work around both sides of the wheel, start opposite the valve and work towards the valve.

The trick is to find a pump you can actually use quickly (some of the compact ones get really, really hard to squeeze once the pressure gets above 60-70 psi). Carrying the pump is trivial; most frame pumps will still fit under the top tube if the length is properly selected just by internal spring tension, if not a Velcro ski strap is an easy additional securement. Compact pumps can be fitted to mounts between bottle cage and frame, but those always need to be checked for crank and foot clearance, and they are more difficult to use.
latest report
comprex wrote:
stevew wrote:

It really shouldn't unless the tyre is really, really tight on the rim.

That scenario happens more than you'd like. I've found myself exceeding that 5 min in one recent incident. I didn't actually time myself but I encounter problems taking the tyre off the rim. Since my "normal" time is about 5 min. I knew the "problem" cause longer delay, probably an extra min.

This is the typical break down:

1) get over the shock that I actually have a flat...blood cr@p! I have a flat tyre!!! Shocked
1a) do a quick mental calculation on how long it'll take for the "other half" to come rescue me, or any nearby public transport availability, come to a conclusion it'll be faster to fix the flat myself... Sad
2) big sigh, take wheels out of bike and tools & tubes out of bag

a minute already gone! Wink

3) Take tyre off rim (this can vary. Some tyre/rim combination is so "loose" it's off in about 15 seconds! Others take longer)
4) pull punctured inner tube out
5) sweep the inside of tyre to make sure whatever caused the flat is no longer there.

another minute gone.

6) insert new tube
7) put tyres back on rim without pinching the new tube, usually a full minute! (this is the biggest variation, it can take up to 2 minutes if extra tight)

8 ) pump and put the wheel back in the frame. Another minute (or even a bit more).

9) put tools and old tube back in the back and try to clean oneself a bit before spreading all that road grime all over the bike...

Altogether about 5 minutes, give or take. As comprex mentioned, a good pump makes for a faster job. (CO2 is even faster but could run out if you have multiple flats)

If it's been a long time (more than 1 year) since I had a flat, I need to flaf about on what's the next step. That takes up extra time and I push the 5 minute limits. But with pratice, it can be sped up to less than a minute Shocked by experienced mountain bike racers! (I've seen it done, unbelievable!)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-07-08 12:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
This is all very educational - I'm useless on a bike, or doing anything with it, but I have been changing car wheels with no problem since my dad taught me at the age of 21, so I think that I'm going to give it a go. It's pathetic having to take a bike to a shop to repair a puncture, isn't it? What a very improving site this is! (And before you ask, the reason my dad never taught me to repair a bike puncture is because he would never let me have a bike, though I begged and begged.)
ski holidays
abc, I haven't had a puncture yet! What's the betting it happens next time I go out.
snow report
abc, I definitely need to practice!
snow conditions
Fogliettaz wrote:
abc, I haven't had a puncture yet! What's the betting it happens next time I go out.

I've gone as long as 2 years without one. You may be equally lucky.Wink
ski holidays
Clearly I need to get some experience with tyre changing!!

OK, I've taken you folks at your word that 3 times a week of 1/2hr rides at around 15mph is sufficient. I didn't go last night and looking at the weather was on the verge of talking myself out of it tonight too. Then there was a lull in the weather just as it started to get dark - still my paperwork job looked tempting but I thought 'No, I told the snowHead 's that I was biking so I had better bike' So I've been out and done the normal loop tonight - 1st one this week. It felt colder tonight so for the first time I didn't cycle in a T shirt alone, but thought I would add a light fleece and hope I didn't get too warm - its a bit of a balancing act isn't it?, but I suppose you don't want cold muscles for the whole ride. I popped the lights on - might put one of my spares on the back as its only got a single LED on the rear and I have an assortment of LED bike lights accumulated from previous bikes that I can use. The supplied front light seems OK - 3 LED bulbs. I also wear a fluorescent yellow tabard and have fluorescent pink cycle gloves.

Serious question now - although it might sound a bit laughable. After the derisory comments about being seen on a women's specific frame I ordered a gents frame and am using it so far as it arrived. I guess this came supplied with a gents specific saddle (it calls itself a memory foam saddle - I guess it must be a reasonable saddle as it wasn't a cheap bike). I assume you can get women specific saddles - for the amount of use I'm putting the bike to - how much more comfy would a womens specific saddle be, and would it be worth getting one?
snow conditions
The short answer is a good saddle is worth every penny. That is, if you're having problem with your current one and it's limiting your riding...

That said, if you don't experience any issue with the current gent's saddle, maybe you don't need to change just yet.

Of my 4 bikes, only half of them have women specific saddles. The other 2 have gent's saddle. And I can't honestly tell if the women's saddle are any better than the uni-sex ones.
latest report
abc, That's what I was looking for - a good common sense take on the question - thanks, maybe I'll see how the current saddle goes then - once I get going the muscle activity in the legs tends to take precidence over the messages from the seat area Laughing
snow report
Megamum, the women's saddles are much wider (mine had springs underneath too) and lovely and comfy on one's bum. Once I had got used to my ladies saddle on my bike I later hired a mountain bike in Corfu one year with a unisex/men's saddle and boy did I wince! I'm sure you will notice the difference if you get a spongy one with springs like I had. I bought mine years and years ago now though, I don't know if they sell them anymore.
ski holidays
Megamum, I forgot if you're already using padded shorts. If not, it's the first thing to add, BEFORE you start worrying about saddles.
latest report
Megamum, It might be your bike Toofy Grin After trading in my chopper for a super duper mountain bike, I find I can't shovel in enough calories to make up for the ones I'm burning.
It's seriously good fun on Dartmoor. My best fun is taking my husband off road (refuses to spend any money on a mountain bike) on his thin wheeled jobby. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
abc, I haven't got any gear specifically to cycle in - I'm just riding in a cotton polo T shirt, bagy jersey trousers (everything is baggy at the mo!!) and my old ancient squash trainers and thick socks. If its chilly - or looks like it might be I put a light fleece on the carrying rack or wear it from the outset. I wear a hi-vis vest and a cycle helmet too and that's about it.

erica2004, I went a different route tonight - got as far as the local town ring road went round the roundabout and came back again - similar distance to the other route I think. Did most of it in top gear except for the last hill back. It's still not fun, but I know its good for me - I want the scales to swing to the next number of stones before the BBQ - they are on the cusp at the moment.
ski holidays
Megamum, I'm with abc on this - I strongly recommend proper cycling shorts with padding, it makes a world of difference (I've never changed a saddle on a bike or knowingly had a ladies saddle). I also always wear cycling gloves.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I only cycle short distances, but my general saddle was painful after just a short time. Seriously squashed under-parts. I bought a not-too-expensive ladies one in the local cycle shop which is specially designed to relieve the pressure. It has what is indelicately known as a clit-slit. Embarassed I don't have padded shorts but the saddle has made a big difference. I looked up some stuff on the internet where the consensus of opinion amongst a load of terrifying American women who do triathlons and mad stuff was that the main cure for sore backsides was TITS (Time in the Saddle). One woman who enquired was sternly told by a regular contributor that she shouldn't really be feeling sore after a ride of only 50 miles. Shocked I felt as though the circulation would never be re-established after about 5. I think I'll stick to Snowheads...not nearly so scary.
ski holidays
pam w, When I did part of the North Sea Cycle route from Den Helder to Calais I did 600 km in 10 days, on a mountain bike with gents saddle, but did use ycle shorts and was never sore, so I agree with scary American lady, 50 miles shoudln't make one sore - you really do get used to it and need to break your saddle in.
ski holidays
Quote:

Seriously squashed under-parts.

That needs to be addressed seriously.

Padded shorts spread out that pressure better, which should help.

Some saddles suits some ...bottoms better. It's the shape. If it matches, no squashed under-parts.

It's not distance, it's time in saddle. Both the cause of soreness, and the cure. Wink

So, to relieve the pressure and restore circulation, pedal standing up once in a while. You only need to do that for 1/2 a minute. It'll feel pretty good.

Even though I ride regularly (over 50 miles each time), if I ride for more than 5 miles without the padded shorts, especially on city streets with lots of little bumps, I'd be sored. With padded shorts, I could do 20, 30 or more. And standing up from time to time, I can ride forever. Well, until my legs gives out.
snow conditions
Quote:
I bought a not-too-expensive ladies one in the local cycle shop which is specially designed to relieve the pressure. It has what is indelicately known as a clit-slit
funny, but the special men's saddles have something similar, albeit it's a hole that goes right through the saddle. I thought it was intended as a supplement to the click pedals, so you can get that extra bit of control by attachment to your bike... Shocked
latest report
One of my saddles has what's called a "love channel". Generally use WTB or Brooks leather saddles.

Finding a good saddle can be more difficult than finding a good ski-boot. Bottoms come in all shapes and sizes what's comfortable for one behind can be a real pain the '@rse for another.

Saddle reviews here ....
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/saddle/PLS_140_913crx.aspx

Bike saddles are like wild horses/women in that they take a while to break in too. Toofy Grin As your feet eventually get used to new shoes/walking boots, your bum usually gets used to a new saddle over time too.
snow report
Halfords have some decent padded shorts for women, which surprised me, although I did buy a pair. Decathlon may be your best bet if you have one near enough.
latest report
Get some decent womens padded shorts, and my wife would certainly recommend getting a womens saddle, but if using the bike to get fit don't get a big fat squishy one - they are for cycling gently to the shops - go to a good bike shop that does quality bikes, they should have a womens sadlle that is still quite narrow (which is much better for cycling hard) but with the hard and soft bits in the right places.

And 15mph is pretty decent - 10mph is pootling along, 12-13mph cruising, and 15mph is working at it. You will get fitter, but it shouldn't get easier - just faster! (and well done for the effort!)
snow report
Thanks for all the comments folks - It might be worth getting some proper shorts before I change the saddle - though I must admit I tend to resist shorts as look rather odd in them Embarassed . The only proper cycling gear I have is the helmet and I do wear a pair of proper cycle gloves - fingerless affairs made of neoprene like material (well I think I bought them as cycling gloves years ago).

Went a different route tonight - still took a half hour to cycle - similar speeds to normal I think. I don't know how far it was, but it felt a bit further than normal. One thing I am learning is that you can drive a road for the last 20 years, but it is only when you cycle them that you suddenly find out that what you thought was a level piece of road actually had a subtle uphill stretch in it that lasts half a mile plus or so!!

What I am finding is although this cycling is not strictly speaking enjoyable I actually find myself starting to want to do it, and am trying to go out whenever the weather permits (though this is still only around the 3-4 times per week given the typical British summer!!). I do hope I end up with decent legs from it though.
ski holidays
Megamum, it's addictive!

You are definitely putting me to shame with all your cycling.
ski holidays
Quote:

you can drive a road for the last 20 years, but it is only when you cycle them that you suddenly find out that what you thought was a level piece of road actually had a subtle uphill stretch in it that lasts half a mile plus or so!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

In a few weeks, you may look back and say "what hill? Oh, it's just an incline" Very Happy
snow conditions
arv, It's funny I don't know what's driving me at the moment - I've been overweight and unfit for the last 20 years - in the last 9-12 months I've had a notion to kick myself into touch and for about the last 6 months have been attacking it with gusto. I think I have discovered that I can enjoy an active holiday like skiing more if I am fitter, but I find it hard to believe that it is that alone which is driving things. However, I must admit that I am starting to feel good about being me, which I haven't done for years. The support from Snowheads is really helping too - it is great to have found so many new friends. I'm really looking forward to the BBQ to meet up with lots of you again.
latest report
Megamum, You go girl. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy