Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski area in Chile evacuated as volcano erupts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Chile evacuated all the occupants of a southern ski area, as Llaima volcano spewed lava for a second day. The volcano is one of South America's most active, and locals are worried that the eruption could cause snow on the volcano to melt, resulting in torrents of water and even landslides. The lava flow stretches about 2k down the slopes of volcano and, yesterday, the Chilean government ordered a 15k exclusion zone around it....
This comes after the Chaiten volcano, 760 miles (1,220 km) south of Santiago in Chilean Patagonia, started erupting on May 2 for the first time in thousands of years, spewing ash, gas and molten rock. The nearby town of Chaiten has been caked in volcanic ash and the volcano continues to emit hot gas and ash.

Source: http://in.reuters.com:80/article/worldNews/idINIndia-34343020080702 and http://www.reuters.com/article/homepageCrisis/idUSN01255963._CH_.2400
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's one of the volcanoes on the itinerary for this summer's Snoworks 7 Volcanoes ski trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, oops! Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
eng_ch, it is classed as one of their 'Adventure Trips' Wink I'd be happy to forgo a couple of days skiing if I could see something like this instead.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Llaima volcano was on the itinerary when I went to Chile with Snoworks last August, however when we arrrived at the foot of the mountain, our vehicles could not get all the way up to the lodge where we were due to stay and so we had to turn back and move on.

I think Llaima also erupted in January this year however from what I understand these eruptions are not as potentially dangerous as they might seem. I was told that volcanos of the type found in Chile, usually give warning that something is going to happen with increased activity beforehand. When the eruption does occcur, the whole top of the mountain does not blow off St. Helena style and the eruption just results in lava streams pouring down the mountain. Having said that you would not want to be near the top when it happened and as the news pointed out the resulting snowmelt can give problems but at least there appears to be some reasonable element of predictability. There were some dramatic night time shots of the January eruption on Youtube which are probably still there.

I must confess to being a little selfishly disappointed when I heard that Llaima had erupted in January, because not having had the chance to ski it last year, I could not stand in the pub and have bragging rights that I had skied recently on a volcano that had just ereupted. We did however go on and ski on Villarica volcano which last erupted some twenty years ago although when the Snoworks group got to the top in 2006 hot ash started coming out of the top.

Perhaps I will stick to Europe.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
eng_ch, it is classed as one of their 'Adventure Trips' Wink I'd be happy to forgo a couple of days skiing if I could see something like this instead.

Not sure I'm that adventurous, if I saw sth like that within striking distance I'd be running away fast! Impressive pic though
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
money back on the lift pass ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eng_ch wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Not sure I'm that adventurous, if I saw sth like that within striking distance I'd be running away fast! Impressive pic though

No, I'm sure you would be thrilled rather than scared if you saw an eruption. It really is nature at its best; even better that something like the Matterhorn! Here's one of my favourite photos.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, don't underestimate my yellow streak! And I have a thing about volcanos and lava - stuff of my childhood nightmares
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch wrote:
And I have a thing about volcanos and lava - stuff of my childhood nightmares

Really? I love it! I once got stuck in the middle of a lava field and had to spend the night there until I was lifted out by helicopter the following morning - no nightmares, just awe inspiring (although I confess I didn't get much sleep). Some photos (here and here) just for you Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As far as i can remember volcan Llaima closed early at the end of last season due to increased activity and seepage of lava at the very top, but in the direction away from the ski area. I don't think it opened at all this year, even the boss of the ski school is working in a different resort as it wasn't going to be opening.

This photo was taken two years ago, before it got angry Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, urgh, those made me go all cold and shivery Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Courtesy of the Telegraph and Reuters, I have to share this pic . . . stunning!

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy