Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I do the jumps, some tips please ?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm just about able to do the 1 metre kickers but I need some help. I want to fly properly.

Where should my hands be on take off for instance ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Where should my hands be on take off for instance ?

Covering your eyes?

Sorry, of course someone who has actually done 1M kickers will be along to help shortly. I've only done half that, and that was by accident Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
micky, as in 1 metre length or height??

Your arms/hands should be in front of you on the run up to the jump like normal, then as you actually take off things change depending on what you want to do. Grabbing the skis, spinning and flipping all involve moving your arms in some direction, either to start, control or even stop the rotations. They also help you balance as you travel through the air.

How much air do you want to get? And do you want to throw down some trickery too?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
micky, Hope you get some good tips here, as I'm interested in this too.

Quote:

Grabbing the skis, spinning and flipping all involve moving your arms in some direction, either to start, control or even stop the rotations.

Landing rather than crashing is more my aim at the moment!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just want to go over the jumps and land smoothly, no tricks yet, maybe no tricks ever, it would be so good to just be able to do jumps confidently.

I'm on narrow piste skis. I can do 1 metre high kickers with a wobbly landing 3 times out of 4, on the 4th ocassion I will usually catch an edge on landing and stack.

I think a lot of the problems are in my mind, I'm not going fast enough and I'm leaning back on take off.

Would wider skis make the landing easier, I'm only thinking of park skis, not really wide ones.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey man, here's a simple guide to getting started on kickers!

1. sort yer speed out before you get to the jump! you dont want to be trying to snowplough or speed check up the ramp!!

2. keep your tummy nice and tense before you start and throughout the jump, this will give you a strong centre so you (hopefully!) dont get "thrown" off the jump and land in the back seat.

3. keep your hands foward and stay flexed and centred in your boots as you approach the kicker (so basically your normal skiing stance), as you reach the "lip" then you want to extend firmly upwards and jump. this will help you stay stable in the air and is known as the "pop", this is really important!

4. keep your hands foward and stay flexed in the air really for the landing.

to be honest guys, the important thing is to be confident and smooth. keep flexed and centred on the skis and learn how to pop off the jump, it really will make all the difference and you should have some fun trying it!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
whoa there, just saw your other comment. yes park skis will make a difference, theyve got less sidecut and are more balanced for landings but only get them if you really want to getinto the freestyle and all-mtn riding, although piste skis are not ideal to learn how to jump its not impossibe and just buying twins wont turn your riding around on their own, its all a balance thang!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Make sure you've got a soft landing and go for it! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I first read the OP and thought I'd keep an eye on the answers not because I want to jump off anything (I DON'T jump off ANYTHING!!), but given the similarities of skiing stance to horse riding stance I wondered if jumping would be similar. I was right - its very similar in terms of the description given above for the body to stop you ending up in the 'back seat'
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try to keep your eyes on the landing spot, not at your feet or up in the air.

Also helps that that landing is steep enough, then possible bad landing on back of the skis won't hurt that much. In any case, flat foot landing is the best.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Perhaps this is me, but I find it difficult to do a jump while doing nothing. I find it a lot more comforting if I'm doing something with my body such as grabbing the skis etc.c
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The basics are:

1. Pre-jump = Relax. Bend the knees. Lean forward. Skis together. Not too narrow or too wide. Adopt a coathanger posture.

2. Intra-jump = Stay forward, relaxed and coathangered.

3. Post-jump = Stay forward, relaxed and coathangered.

4. Stop. Review mentally the jump. Go back uphill and do it again. Repeat 50 times, going a touch higher and further every time.

Make sure the landing is angled, not flat. Or you'll damage your toes, ankles and knees.

Enjoy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Keep going, I'm taking this all in.

Any good example videos on Youtube ?

Whitegold, I take it you meant "could" damage... in your last sentence. I'm sure some of the jumps I've done had a flat landing.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 4-07-08 20:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When you people started doing jumps did you always feel confident that you would land ok, or have you all at some point early on made a leap of faith ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
micky,
Quote:

Whitegold, I take it you meat "could" damage... in your last sentence. I'm sure some of the jumps I've done had a flat landing.

If you keep 'flat landing' off jumps it will hurt, it takes away all your momentum and you take the impact with your body. If you watch any video, or spectate in a park you will see all of the jumps have sloped landing area, so you dont flat land, like this has been built.....www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/13661

When increasing the size of jumps you doing, dont jump something you think you won't make. Practise your technique jumping and landing in control on the smaller jumps and then progress up to the next size. Doing this you will get a better feel for how much speed you need, how much air time you'll get and not panic when your in the air! You wouldn't go from the beginners area straight to the steepest black when learning to ski would you?? Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm just beginning to get to grips with bigger kickers, not big by any stretch, but big enough to get decent air. I was skiing in January and again in late April this year, and in the interim I started going to the gym regularly.

Whether it was just extra confidence or not, I don't know, but being in much better shape really seemed to help with staying centred over the skis in the air. I didn't get thrown back half as much.

A substantial part of it is just confidence and visualisation. If you picture it going well and believe that it will, it probably will. If you tense up and get scared, it probably won't.
snow conditions
I was told (possibly here) to imagine heading a ball into the net on take off, I'm not sure its the best learning phrase and you may pick up bad habits from it but its certainly helped me erm get off the ground. Embarassed What also helped was watching people do it badly on Youtube A. the bad landings look horrific and make you want to do it properly and B you can REALLY see where they go wrong most of the time by not being forward enough with their hands/ whole body. Of course start small and concentrate on clean landings before going large
snow conditions
Don't let yourself be pushed back by the jump, otherwise the landing will go badly wrong. 'Popping' is essential too, especially if you want to start doing much else other than simply jumping. And a final thing is sort your speed out! Almost everyone I've seen hitting the 'green' line in parks are going far too slowly, and they don't even make what's supposed to be the landing. They land on the flat bit beforehand, and the landing is so much harder on them because of it. At first it's (understandably) really easy to convince yourself you're going too fast when you're not. You'll be able to tell when you're hitting it at the right speed when the landing no longer feels like dropping out of a 2nd storey window onto concrete NehNeh

Have fun Smile
snow report
hmm, i don't really do jumps but there was one up at chill factor e and i thought heck why not, landings were very hard on the body and I was going pritty fast - final 50 meters without turns. So i dont really understand what your saying...
snow report
jj193, Was the jump a ramp with the landing back on the slope or made of snow and have a shaped landing?
snow conditions
jj193, we're probably not talking about the same kind of jump. Haven't been to Chill Factore, but if their 'jump' was anything like the one at Castleford, it's a totally different beast to what you'd probably find in the beginner line in a real park. The speed thing was aimed at the sort of jump which has a ramp up, a drop (knuckle), and a landing past the knuckle - commonly known as a kicker. Looks a bit like a wedge if you look at it side-on. Anyways what a lot of people do is hit it too slow and hit the knuckle when they land, instead of htting the landing. It's a lot harder on you because you're landing on a flat bit of snow and having to absorb a lot more energy compared to landing on a sloped landing. It's not that bad on smaller jumps, but as you get bigger it's really something you want to avoid doing Smile
ski holidays
Yeah, I get what you mean.
snow report
Thread resurrection time. - this was all I could find about landing jumps. I'm a piste skier with no interest in playing in the park. Did a big empty red run this morning at Serfaus and given the lack of traffic I was going pretty fast. Went over a bump in the piste and got a couple of feet off of the ground. Which was fine until I landed and promptly fell over. Slid a long way but no harm done. Now I know I could have gone around the bump but I'd like to be able just go over stuff like that. So how do I practice landing?
snow conditions
Good thread @Valkyrie, glad you found it snowHead
snow report
You probably sat back a bit as you landed that's common so you want to land with your weight slightly forward, think about trying to grab the tips of your skis or touch your toes neither of which you will manage on little jumps but it will get you in that forward position it will only be a small movement in reality, to practice I suggest jumping off everything you can find and do it on piste/flat ground also.
ski holidays
This was my first time on a bigger jump... I thought that I had enough speed... no way lol

http://youtube.com/v/lgp8b_urBLM
latest report
My advice, when you take off throw your hands forward and just look at where you will be skiing out when you land. Crashes tend to happen when you anticipate them, tense your body up and only focus on the touch down.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy