Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiactivity - Chalet Cascades, Val Thorens - anyone been?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone stayed in these chalet/apartmenty type things ?

http://www.skiactivity.com/property.php?id=413

Are they any good? We are looking for a Xmas break in VT and have a budget of up to £650 per head and this is the sort of thing I keep finding.
Any better ideas, for a family of four?
As always your ace knowledge is much appreciated
Dave

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-07-08 0:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaveB, I've not stayed there personally but I have stayed in chalets before. It is nice having all your food done for you in a home from home rather than in a hotel. And they do have afternoon tea which is great unlike hotels (unless they are chalet-hotels). The area it is in is close to the pistes as it says.

Unless the 4 of you have 2 rooms between you (don't know if this is feasible or not due to room requirements) then you will have to pay room supplements. For example if you and your wife/partner share a room that's fine but if your daughters/sons want a room each and can't/won't share then you will have to pay 2x single supplements for them. Also unless you book the whole chalet for the 4 of you then you will have to share with either another family of 4, or two couples, or 2 singles paying the single supplement each. Some people are ok with this and enjoy the social aspect of meeting other people, some people with families would prefer to have the chalet to themselves and not share with people they don't know, understandably.

Personally I love catered chalet accomodation but I haven't got a family but it could be an apartment to sleep 6 (to give you more room) might be better for you, it would be self catering though. Have you looked at self catering apartments?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply, we have done loads of Chalet breaks, but my post was rubbish and unclear!#

By "chalet/apartmenty type things" I meant the fact that this particular chalet looks more like an apartment within a bigger chalet block. We normally stay in bog standard chalets with 20 odd other guests.

We normally take 2 rooms and if the kids think I am funding them in separate rooms..they can flipping well stay at home and smoke tabs with their hoody mates!!
Also I have never used skiactivity before so any feedback gratefully received.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveB, oh I see. Hmmm don't know the answer to that then. Puzzled Perhaps someone who has been skiing with Ski Activity will be along soon and can tell you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
DaveB, oh I see. Hmmm don't know the answer to that then. Puzzled Perhaps someone who has been skiing with Ski Activity will be along soon and can tell you.

DaveB, more chance if you edit the thread title to something like "skiactivity - Chalet Cascades, Val Thorens - anyone been?"
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

DaveB, more chance if you edit the thread title to something like "skiactivity - Chalet Cascades, Val Thorens - anyone been?"

I is ace internet hacker...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi there. I haven't stayed in this particular chalet with Ski Activity but I have stayed in the Balcons (with Skiworld). Yes it is a big apartment block though our particular chalet had it's own direct entrance from outside (as did a few others I noticed). Access to the slopes is easy as you just walk into one of the blocks, go down in the lift and then come out just above the Plein Sud. Getting back at the end of the day is down the Plein Sud then slightly off piste at the bottom (on to a hairy bit) and you're there. The chalets themselves were comfortable though not the cosiest or most luxurious I have been in. Looking at the photos on the skiactivity website, it looks exactly the same as the one we were in. All in all, not a bad location.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also... just a thought. Ski Activity seem to be an agent so the chalet may be run by another TO so you would need to know who they are and what they are like.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Used Ski Activity once - never done it again since. Diabolical chalet/service/staff/resort manager attitude - Ended up getting half of the cost of the holiday back for 4 people so they were good in that respect I suppose! We ended up eating out most of the time which we did not really mind because it was pretty cheap to begin with, and as ex-season workers it's our preference....we just thought we'd try the chalet thing as a one-off and unfortunately chose a poor operator.

Use at your peril mate, but to be honest resort staff including management change by the season so you may be lucky Toofy Grin

Plenty of other decent operators about but you may as well go independent in Val Thorens, loads of options as the people on this site willbe able to tell you.

Cheers, hope you find what you need - Robbo Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveB, I actually act as an agent for Activity and they are ok, however, these things are subjective and always depend on ones budget and expectations. I also act for chalet owners such as VIP and Descent International at £20/30 k per chalet so it just shows what is one man's hell is another man's heaven. They are generally ok, there are others who are better though IMHO. The price looks pretty good considering the £ against the € and how much it does cost in reality when in resort and self catering , especially, if like me you like a beer or 20. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with Nickster entirely - We only did the chalet trip as a one off and we got it at a budget price. No excuse for crap service though!

As Nickster says (me too), there are better operators out there. I personally prefer the self catered option due to the beer or twenty option and not having to make the effort to mix with other unknowns Happy!!

Just read as many reviews as possible but my whole opinion still stands on Activity - they were hilarious to deal with right "up" to senior management level..... avoid.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for that lot..any other recommendations in VT then?
We prefer catered as it's more sociable and the last thing I want to do after a day falling down a lot is cook!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Teh balcon chalets are perfectly Ok and you can get them through SkiWorld, First Choice, crystal and Neilsons I think. There are some new chalets being built (I've seen them on the Ski Total website) and they look to be in a good position. Basically there are loads of options in VT
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveB, well Dave use Skiworld Ski total or someone else who maybe acts as an agent for lots of companies (avoid the big boys if poss)... <whistle>rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you like the look of Cascades, try looking at a company called Total Ski. Smile

It is a chalet hotel, en-suite rooms - group dining area chalet style food etc.

There is an escalator to the lifts from just across the road - no huffing and puffing first thing in the morning - very classy. Cool

1650 gives you a good start point, but it makes a day trip to VT quite a hike - jolly nice runs down to 1850, not so nice past the Altiport on the run back for the less adventurous amongst us.

We went to Cascades and it was excellent, well run, good food, the only drawbacks we encountered were in the form of other random w@nkers staying there. Madeye-Smiley

(thoughts return to the "Marketing Guru" and some parents who lied to their kids all the time - shameless wasters. Shocked )

there are a few bars nearby, but the bus runs all night up to 1850 which is better for what the French laughingly call "Apres-ski". Twisted Evil

They should all be sent to Austria for a week's tuition in the art of having a good time - garlic chomping luddites the lot of them (anyone want to rent a house in the Dordogne, just let me know Embarassed )
snow report
Might be looking at Balcons or equivalent for late Jan... Feel free to pimp me...Laughing

6 peeps, decent size, SC, pref car park
ski holidays
Went to La Tania last year (this chalet http://www.skiactivity.com/property.php?id=79) with Ski Activity.

I normally do everything independently, but this was a group of 10 so i booked through an agent (igluski) onto a Ski Activity holiday. The reps were good, the food was pretty good, the organisation of transfers, lift passes etc was smooth. The only thing i would mention was that the chalet was fairly basic and in need of some maintenance (the radiator in one room was broken and the TV was broken), although we didn't exactly pay much considering that we were in the 3V's.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy