Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For the Zookeepers, CEM and other boot/foot experts

Poster: A snowHead
This is somewhat more than a ski boot question, please bear with me.

I typically get very painful feet for the first skiing hours in the morning (it gets better as the week goes by). Most of the time only when I'm skiing fast, or very difficult terrain. The pain is cramp-like, mainly in the middle of the foot - not the arch but the bit that actually stays on the ground, whatever it's called.

I've put quite a bit of foam around my ankle (well, a bootfitter did it for me) to take up extra space and stop me from doing up the boots too tightly, and things are better but not perfect. After a couple of hours, when I warm up, there's no pain for the rest of the day (most of the time).

Strangely, I can walk or climb all I want in my (alpine) boots and there's no pain, while others wince.

Now for the interesting part. I've recently started playing tennis again after a few months' break and I notice the same pain if I'm really going for it. Not to the same degree, but certainly the same kind of pain, like a cramp in my foot.

Does this mean there's something wrong with my feet rather than the boots?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dorsiflexion, go see CEM.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
horizon,
I had exactly what you describe and was able to enjoy pain free skiing after a trip to the zoo or two.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So that's what it is...I've had the same problem for a little while (a trip to Profeet helped but didn't totally solve it). Have resolved to do something about it ahead of next season - looks like a trip to Bicester or Cham is in order Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
horizon, as Steve has alluded to it sounds very much like an issue with the flexion of the ankle and the structures which allow it to bend in various directions, the body is very good at compensating and allowing the foot to externally rotate allows the ankle to flex further than it can when it is held solidly and paralell as it is in a ski boot [the tennis sounds like a lesser version of the same thing as you have described.

the solution involves taking a look at the insert you are using in your ski boot, possibly making some adjustments to it, the angles inside the boot and a stretching plan to ensure that you start each weeks skiing without the problems.

as for your tennis shoes, a good footbed for them will certainly help and the stretching is mandatory for any sport where the level is anything more than very recreational
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Will any of the stretches in this link help?
http://www.quincyortho.com/pdf/achilles_tendinitis.pdf
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, their calf stretches all look ok but i would increase the time to 30 seconds, wouldn't suggest the calf raises standing up onto the toes as these will build the muscles of the calf rather than stretch them, raising the toes is good to strengthen the extensor muscles on top of the foot
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys. Interesting stuff - I'll make sure I incorporate some stretching in my morning routine (I'm very stiff - when I did karate, it took me a year to stretch as well as the average guy managed after a week).

It's about as far for me to get to Cham now as to Bicester, so who I end up seeing will depend on where a trip takes me first.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
It's about as far for me to get to Cham now as to Bicester

horizon, blimey what part of London do you live in Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The bit that is the other side of the Channel...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haha. Need to ask a moderator to change this, I went into my personal profile but couldn't find the field to update
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
horizon, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Done - thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horizon, The real advantage of coming to Cham is when there's snow so we can really get down to business and fit them tight for a precise, long lasting fit. That and our fridge is always full. Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Horizon

do you have the pain in your feet after skiing/tennis. If you compress/squeez the area is it painful. can you squat so that your bum can touch your heels without your heels coming off the floor?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
horizon, The real advantage of coming to Cham is when there's snow so we can really get down to business and fit them tight for a precise, long lasting fit. That and our fridge is always full. Cool

There's no summer skiing in Cham right?

I'm kind of terrified of my next pair of boots, considering how much trouble I've had with them... if I can dig up the massive email I sent to Colin I'll post my epic problem list Confused Annoyingly, it's about as expensive time and travel wise for me to get to Bicester as it is to Cham!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy