Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portillo, CHILE - September 11th - 27th 2008 – buddy(s) needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hey,
I'm planning a skiing trip to Chile in September. I'm currently going on my own as my mates can't get the time off work. So I'm looking for a travel buddy(s) to avoid skiing alone and to avoid paying single supplements. This is my base plan, but I would be happy to tag along on another trip or completely change this one (except the rough dates):

Staying at the Portillo resort http://www.skiportillo.com/
Dates 11th - 27th September 2008
Flying to Santiago

Costs: We are looking at roughly...

£1000 for all hotel accommodation (with four meals a day), transfers, ski pass and few days sight seeing in Santiago.
£1000 for flights from the UK (would be less from say the USA).

The trip is being organised by skisafari http://www.skisafari.com/Ski-Chile.aspx

I'm 24 and an average to good skier and will be looking to push myself a bit on this trip. I would be happy to meet up with any level of skier or boarder. I need to travel in September as I have a month off then between graduating and starting a new job.

Thanks for reading,
Chris

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 7-05-08 22:22; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You may find 2 weeks in Portillo too long - have you checked the piste map?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, thanks for the tip. I looked at going to Valle Nevado as well but it worked out too expensive unless I can get rid of those single supplements!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chrismat, There have been a few threads running on Chile trips lately, try doing a search. You may well pick up some tips for doing it cheaper or perhaps find other groups going you can team up with. Welcome to snowHead 's BTW.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes there seems to be a few people about who have the same crazy idea as me, thanks for the tip and welcome Colin B .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
2 days is to long Portillio! You would not be pushing yourself a bit anywhere in the resort unless you get out of it .

4 Meals a day is pretty much normal in South American Hotels.

Honestly, if you go all that way get out more.

The only people your meet in Portillo will be the same peple you meet in the US, OZ or Europe. Its just an extention .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrismat, bit of a case of bad timing here. . . i was looking for a buddy to ski with but i've just booked to do the Snoworks Chile/Argentina trip in August. Maybe next time. . .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snobunni, that's right, I saw you post about the Snoworks trip. Looks great! Think it might have been a bit to advanced for me! Have fun. Very Happy

stanton, I'm not sure I agree with you because of the level I'm at just now. The pistes either side of the lake look very steep so I think over two weeks I could build up to that. I take your point is not a huge area, but the cost I have been quoted (£3309.00) to do both Valle Nevado as well is excessive. Still have had not luck finding a buddy. Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chrismat wrote:
snobunni, that's right, I saw you post about the Snoworks trip. Looks great! Think it might have been a bit to advanced for me! Have fun. Very Happy

stanton, I'm not sure I agree with you because of the level I'm at just now. The pistes either side of the lake look very steep so I think over two weeks I could build up to that. I take your point is not a huge area, but the cost I have been quoted (£3309.00) to do both Valle Nevado as well is excessive. Still have had not luck finding a buddy. Puzzled

I think for a 2 week trip you would be better off doing Valle Nevado. At least you got the other resorts close by La Parva, El Colorado

I allways use this site for info, it will be up and running nearer the season.

http://www.andesweb.com/index.html

I have also had this book for many years, not sure if its updated but a good read.

South American Ski Guide author Chris Lizza

And there's also

http://www.gochile.cl/eng/guide/chileskiguide/chile-ski-guide.asp
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok managed to make a new plan quite cheap, 1 week in a hostel in the 3 valleys http://www.refugioaleman.cl/ then 1 week in the Inca Lodge in Portillo then a few days sight seeing in Santiago. Who thinks that's a good plan?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 13-05-08 9:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Much better.

See if you can upgrade your food plan to the main restaurant, not the cafeteria. I stayed in Inca and did this and it was worth every peso.

You can even take a heli ride now with the money you're saving Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow, thanks for the trip about the food. How is the main restaurant setup for the single traveler? Did you go to Portillo on your own?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Went on my own for 1 week.

Stayed in Inca and ended up having the room to myself Smile

Upgraded to the dining room meal plan.

First dinner you get a choice of sittings - 1st or 2nd.

After that you get the same time, table, waiters & dining companions. I ended up eating with 2 guys from Boston and then had people to ski with too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That sounds great about Portillo.
Heli ride sound intresting. What sort of level skier do you need to be to do that? How much does it cost? Not too sure if I would be good enough and I just have piste skis.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm travelling alone and staying in the Inca Lodge July 5 - 12. Planning to upgrade meals too. US$900 for the week including transfers from my Santiago hotel.
snow report
Under US$130 a day for transfers, accommodation, lift pass, use of all facilities and 4 'big' squares a day.

Hard to beat.

Enjoy. Very Happy
ski holidays
Just Pray for snow (see my other post in years past)
ski holidays
Rain in Chile

http://www.lanacion.cl/prontus_noticias_v2/site/artic/20080523/pags/20080523231638.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7418242.stm
ski holidays
More Rain

http://www.valparaisotimes.cl/content/view/368/1/

http://www.javno.tv/index.php?id=3675a845f3cb43a
snow report
This will translate to almost a metre of snow at Portillo according to Snow-forecast.
snow report
Here some pics from downtown Santiago 23 May.

http://www.nevasport.com/nevablogs/d/temporal-deja-poca-nieve--ya-se-anuncia-mas.../5565

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
As of 22 May there was 1.6M of snow at the Paso Los Libertadores also called Cristo Redentor (Trans Chilean/Argentina Tunnel at Portillo) http://www.gendarmeria.gov.ar/pasos/fichcris.htm
ski holidays
Yay snow!!! Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Shock

Well I will be doing this trip on my own by the looks of it, but that does not matter, really looking forward to it. For people who have been to Chile, do you recommend taking your own skis all the way out there?? I'm not sure if it is worth it as I only have 20kg baggage allowance on the flight. Will be taking boots of course.
latest report
chrismat wrote:
Yay snow!!! Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Shock

Well I will be doing this trip on my own by the looks of it, but that does not matter, really looking forward to it. For people who have been to Chile, do you recommend taking your own skis all the way out there?? I'm not sure if it is worth it as I only have 20kg baggage allowance on the flight. Will be taking boots of course.

You used to be able to take skis under some extra baggage rules.
snow report
I more meant is it worth the hassle of lugging them all the way there, around Chile and back. Is it better to hire?
ski holidays
Rent them when you're there.
snow report
Depending on who you flying with, it is still possble to take you skis for free, i know Iberia take mine for free when i fly from Dublin. And if you have transfers arranged from the airport already, its not a hard task to carry them. Beware when you leave the airport of all the guys trying to 'help' you with your bags, they just want paid for it!

Portillo is a smallish resort, but there is alot of off piste to do, which can be very steep in places, and full of americans. One thing to note, is that the resort is on its own, there is nothing else around it, the buildings you see in the photos on the website is all there is. and the road up is interesting to say the least>
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nadaquehablar/434260966/

The resorts of Valle Nevado, El Colorado, La Parva and Farellones are closer to Santiago, on a good day you can see them from the city. They have alot more skiable area, which is all connected, and Valle has a huge park and even has a halfpipe (the only one in Chile) if your into freestyle. Again the road up can be exciting in the winter months, but well worth it.

There are other resorts further south of Santiago, such as Termas de Chillan, which is awesome for free riding/off piste, allbeit the lifts are a bit older and slower, but in my opinion, it is a nicer place(i worked there so i may be biased).

Also while you are there, the Chileans have there biggest fiesta of the year 'el dieciocho de septiembre' - 18th spetembre, Chilean independance day. This is basically a week long party which includes dancing, drinking and eating, all in vast quantities Toofy Grin Search it up on t'internet.

All that leaves me to say is i am jealous of your little trip as i cant head to chile this year, as i had reconstructive surgery on my shoulder a couple of weeks ago, but ill be back there working in 2009. have a good trip snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks for all the tips etc... Much appreciated.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy