Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Very Sad News - Ali Rainback

Poster: A snowHead
I just got the e-newsletter from Inspired to Ski.

It mentions that very sadly, Ali Rainback from New Generation (BASI Trainer, inspirational and amazing skier, great guy) died last week from a brain tumour.

Awful, awful news and all my thoughts and sympathies are with his family and friends during this terrible time.

On the newsletter there was a link to raise money for the hospice that Ali stayed at. Here it is:

http://www.justgiving.com/alirainback

Hadn't seen this terrible news posted anywhere else. Hope it was OK to post this.

RIP
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowaddict, yes, I got the newsletter too from ItS. I think he had been ill for quite some time with that brain tumour, it was inoperable apparently, it is very sad news indeed. He was only in his thirties I think as well. Awful thing to have happened to such a well thought after man. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ali's very moving blog of the last few months of his life can be found here. He was a terrific guy and an inspired teacher. A very sad loss to the skiing world.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fantastic fellow, one of life's truly nice guys who was always having fun with a big grin on his face.

I can't do eulogies but he is survived by his wife and I believe two young children who will be missing their dad.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Found Ali's blog earlier. Very moving and also very humbling.

Life is so cruel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
He was a brilliant teacher, and I am very sad to read this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, thanks for mentioning Ali's blog, I didn't know he had one.

I've just read it and it was the most moving thing I had ever read, it brought tears to my eyes. Crying or Very sad I had never met him but I knew he was highly thought of in the ski community and you only have to read his blog as an outsider to see that he was a lovely, kind person. What a terrible shame for this to happen and he is an inspiration to us all from time to time when we might feel sorry for ourselves or get caught up in our own "problems". Puts it all in perspective doesn't it....... Crying or Very sad

I send my sympathies to his family and friends if any of them ever read this thread.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My husband had lessons with him in Courchevel 1650, about 6 years ago and I met him when he came to the chalet one evening. Lovely guy. I hadn't heard he was ill; very sad indeed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I met him a couple of times, great guy, very sad loss.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I never met Ali but heard about him. Very sad. Strangely another teacher and guide, Giles Green of Alpine Experience (who posthumously saved my life by having taught me how to stop sliding after a fall on very steep slopes) also died from a brain tumour.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I met him a while ago in Tignes. Seemed one of the good guys. Very sad.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had never met him but his blog is very moving and more than worth a look. Sad to hear.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ali's blog is incredibly moving. What an incredible and brave guy.

I never had the chance to meet him but I have friends who had worked with him in the past. I had met Roy from New Gen though who did some instructor training for us a couple of years ago. I'm sure Ali had done some instructor training previously (not sure where I was, ill I think, need to check it was Ali) for our slope though and everyone raved about it, it was certainly a New Gen person though.

I donated some money to his fund, it seemed the right thing to do somehow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowaddict, agreed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been reading Ali's blog over the past few months, incredibly moving and inspirational. I never had the honour of meeting him but have many friends who did and spoke very highly.
ski holidays
Ali was a top bloke, always happy, always seemed to be buzzing every time I bumped into him. It's a massive loss to the world of ski coaching in which he was one of the leaders. Gutted. Will head to the just giving page now. Myself and Pete Silver Gillespie were out in Hemel on Monday night and had a drink to his memory. Really sad.
snow conditions
warrensmith and Pete S G, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It is all very well us as strangers on the outside saying sorry about the news, but it must be 100 times worse for you guys that actually knew him as a friend/colleague. Best wishes to you all.
latest report
iIn memory of Ali Rainback,

He was a great and inspirational skier, and will be sadly missed, may Ali be at peace and family & friends be comforted knowing that he lived & loved life to the full and gave a lot to so many people who had the privilege in meeting him and skiing with him

He will be sadly missed, farewell my friend

Michael Helmet Mayer Mackenzie
ski holidays
It is Ali's funeral today.

Lets all have some nice ski-ing thoughts for Ali and his family and friends.
ski holidays
I drove through Kimpton today and remembered about Ali (only from this thread - I didn't know him) and I realised why there was total gridlock - for Ali's funeral. I wish all his family and friends well - it's fantastic for you all that you knew him and like snowaddict, I certainly had some nice skiing thoughts about him from your comments here and from reading his blog. Smile
snow report
I missed this thread until now, but can only echo the thoughts that others have posted thus far, Ali was one of the good guys in skiing, there may be many "good guys" in skiing but he was one who stood out from the crowd, always high onlife itself.

my thoughts are with his family
snow report
I didn't know Ali at all but have just finished reading his blog after linking to it from here. It's an incredibly sad but uplifting read. I wonder if his family should consider publishing it with the proceeds going to the HOSF.

My condolences to all who knew him.
latest report
I caught the "Ali Rainback" blog completely by accident looking at the BASI site. This was before he died. It really hit me because he was the same age as me, and I too have young children. I followed his progress, and was absolutely gutted when he died, even though I had never met him. He has proved inspirational, when he taught, and now it seems he will continue to do so even though he is no longer here. He has inspired me, I am only training towards being a Level 2 Instructor, but who knows maybe I will continue on. After all I am lucky enough to still be here, you only get one life. Live it. Live it as Ali did with a smile on your face x
snow report
wink, welcome to snowHeads.
snow report
wink, welcome as well... The first time i met Ali was a couple years ago at MK during a 1/2 hour session to see if i was up to do one of their L1 courses in courchevel. I was real nervous and on the first run he asked me to do something fairly complicated and i promptly fell over... As i was getting up i dejectedly said " i guess i shouldn't give up the day job" and he said no he had seen enough and that i would be fine to take the course and we should just have a ski about. At the end He said there would be lots of challenges and more falls in my future but thought i would make a good ski teacher and that i should give it a go. Wasn't too bothered about my skiing ability. Although that was the only time i met him properly whenever i would bump into him in courch he remembered me and always took the time to say hello or when on the piste gave me a smile and a wink when skiing by. When i passed my grade 3 he came to the "party" and asked, not how the course went but how the shadowing had gone and if i had gotten a taste for teaching yet.... I had, and he definitely made a difference for me.. Strangely for someone i didn't know well i too was gutted by his passing, as you say you only have one life....
latest report
Although I didn't know Ali, having read through his blog and seen the pictures of him so vibrant, smiling and full of life as well as in hospital really, really touched me. He was clearly such a loved man and touched so many people's lives, it's tragic his life was cut short when he had so much more to give and live for. I was compelled to donate something on his page.

I am booked onto an Inspired to Ski course in December and will certainly think of him.
snow conditions
Since his death on 22 June last year, Ali Rainback's mother Diana Rainback has been involved in a substantial fund-raising effort for the hospice where he died (Hospice of St Francis, Berkhamsted). These efforts have netted over £50,000 in a matter of months, towards a target of £100,000.

This report from St Albans and Harpenden Review.

Quote:
Diana along with her dedicated troop of fund raisers, self named Team Rainback, have a whole host of sponsored events in the pipeline including a music hall in Kimpton next month, a night-time ski session in the French ski resort of Courcheval, where Ali used to work, and a five-aside football tournament in the summer.

The awards will run throughout 2009.
snow conditions
£44000 also raised here:

http://www.justgiving.com/alirainback
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I read Ali's blog after seeing the link here, and was in tears before halfway through. Since then, it has really affected me. I lost my 'proper' job as an IT project manager in January, and cancelled my plans to do the BASI level 2 course at New Gen in Courchevel in March. As a direct consequence of reading Ali's blog, however, I decided last week to go and do the course, and have also managed to get ski teaching jobs in Italy and Austria (they're only temporary for now!). IT project management can wait a little longer.

I intend to donate some of my first European ski teaching wages to Ali's hospice. He sounds like an awesome guy, and I hope his family and those that knew him take heart in the fact that he continues to inspire. You only get one go at this life, and I too feel compelled to do something to help those that helped this amazing person.
snow report
snowqueen11, good for you!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy