Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm really really sorry

Poster: A snowHead
I have a list of excuses as long as my arm but when it comes down to it that's not important, what really matters is I've let you down, I've let my snowboard down, I've let snowboarding down and I've really, truly let myself down. I know some suspected it and I tried to deny it but the guilt has been wracking me for too long, I have to admit that this was me.

Don't cry for me, I'm already dead.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swirly, It matters not that you skied. All that matters is: Did you enjoy it?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thought it was a boarder!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just need a clip of you boarding now for comparison!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, sometimes you need a burger to really appreciate a good steak wink ala Hugh Grant Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ahh, I was *sure* it was you, despite the clever deliberately out of focus vid wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swirly, I believe you have been re-born. Welcome brother!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slippery slope.

First of all you try it, for a laugh or because all your mates are doing it.

Within a few years you're agonising about quiver overlap, putting off buying new snowboard boots cos you want some tele gear, talking bollux about parallel carving etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
for a few minutes I thought it might be interesting to have a go at learning the double planks this summer at L2A, but I am not too sure now Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, go for it... And speaking of L2A, is this the trip instead of Stubai we were talking about ages ago? Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonm, yes it is Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly, damn the firewall, will have to check later.... I think you should leave immediately and sit in the corner with a lycra race suit on .... Tsk Tsk
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kristof, not a chance.

rob@rar, but I didn't sit in the middle of the run. Seriously what made you say that?

fatbob, I'm not Masque

Frosty the Snowman, tbh I enjoyed it a lot more than if I'd spent 90 minutes going up and down that slope on my board. I'd taken my board boots with me in case the park was open but it wasn't.

To clarify, I learnt to ski in the late 80's at a fairly young age. I last skied on snow in '96 and since then had been once (in '9Cool to a dry slope. Then I learnt to board and that was that. However, I was spending an hour and a half at Chill Factore whatever and the slope is so flat that on a board I might have been requesting a tow! OK that's an exaggeration but if I came across a run of that length and gradient anywhere else I wouldn't put a turn in so given the park was shut I thought what the heck lets give skiing a go.

I had never skied on shaped skis before, last time I think I was on 225cm thin things, I had no idea what size to go for and asked for 170's but the woman gave me 160's as they didn't have any, I'm 6ft 2. The boots were horrific, she was going to give me size 11 (this comes from their height, weight and feet machine of magic) I asked for and got a 10. Length ways they fit fine I could feel the ends but wasn't rammed into them. However, I have fairly narrow feet, doing the toe clip up to maximum didn't make the boot feel tight even though the shell deformed, in fact I could move my feet side to side in them with all the clips done up as tight as possible. After two runs I began getting cramp in my right foot so loosened one clip, this got rid of the pain but didn't help me feel secure.

The video is my final run, it's a big improvement on the first: snowplough, looking at the skis, almost crossing tips, weight over my heels. Given what I could do 12 years ago I think with a day in resort and a private refresher lesson I'd be up to red/black standard. However, this is unlikely to happen as snowboarding's just so much more fun. We decided to post the video anonymously for a laugh, unfortunately despite the quality I was still recognisable.

A few other thoughts: drag lifts are easy on boards but so much easier on skis, I know this is hardly breaking news but what I mean is how the hell do people fall of that lift on skis? Especially in a way that means it stops running for 5 minutes. I'm a boarder and I have more of an idea on ski sizing than the rental staff there! The rental kit really is rubbish. The lift pass scanning system is truly appalling, it never read my pass first time and a few times it took over 10 goes to get through the turnstile. Unless you really have specific drills to practice domes are incredibly dull.

The big question would I do it again well if I go to the summer ski test I don't need a new board so perhaps but just to keep it interesting wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DebbiDoesSnow, my race suit was a dressing gown.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, am I still invited?!
snow report
jonm, yes sure, I am just thinking about heading out on my own anyway, nothing booked yet but flights from London are £60 Monday to Friday. There is a L2A summer thread (by Butterfly) in 'Trips' that we should head over to discuss it

sorry Swirly for hijacking the thread Blush you look as if you are doing ok though, except for skiding the tails out a bit wink
latest report
david@mediacopy, I don't think any videos exist of me on a board. I'd hope I look a bit better but maybe I don't Shocked Confused
snow report
Swirly wrote:
rob@rar, but I didn't sit in the middle of the run. Seriously what made you say that?

The way you ski. I know a couple of other very experienced boarders who have spent a little bit of time on skis and they, and you, ski in a similar fashion.
snow conditions
Swirly, shame!
latest report
OK if the skiing was bad I'm going to get slated for this. I was in Morzine with some beginners in March, they made a video. I wasn't with them most of the time but they got a couple of my early attempts at a rail in it.
http://youtube.com/v/Xb6HA4InER8

4.07 I fall off a rail
4.46 I fall off the rail again.

However, the best part is 2.36 the good doctor fails a jump.
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:
OK if the skiing was bad I'm going to get slated for this. I was in Morzine with some beginners in March, they made a video. I wasn't with them most of the time but they got a couple of my early attempts at a rail in it.
http://youtube.com/v/Xb6HA4InER8

4.07 I fall off a rail
4.46 I fall off the rail again.

However, the best part is 2.36 the good doctor fails a jump.

oh my god, has team chill had all their knees welded shut? Scary straight leg rail riding Shocked Think of how much closer your head would be to the ground if your knees were bent, straight legs = scary heights for the head to fall.
snow report
stab, Laughing More bending of knees all round might be good. And less sticking out of bottoms as well. Mind you, he does say they're beginners.
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
Slippery slope.

Within a few years you're agonising about quiver overlap, putting off buying new snowboard boots cos you want some tele gear, talking bollux about parallel carving etc.

Biatch . . . wink
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
fatbob wrote:
Slippery slope.

Biatch . . . wink

Hey I've been through it. wink
ski holidays
i had a go on skis for the first time in 11 years. i skied for about 20 years before that (so i'm "ok" on a pair of skis). those new carving skis are unreal. they're so easy to carve, i think i might dig out my boots when i head off this year and spend a day with the skiers if we're a mixed group again. NehNeh
ski holidays
/shakes head in despair at this thread
ski holidays
Oh dear! Still, at least you have an appropriately crushing sense of shame about it all, eh? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
stab, i remember seeing a picture of you on skis this season Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, yeah I wasn't well Embarassed
ski holidays
stab, don't you be blaming your poor decision on the whites wink
latest report
stab, that's a poor excuse for being rubbish at it. Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard, I wasn't rubbish at it, I just didn't like it or see the attraction of it Smile But I did try, twice in fact Laughing And to think some people were actually asking me advice on skis in the shop like I knew what I was talking about Laughing "yeah mate, this isn't so shaped so you can do this and that, and of course the extra width under the binding will be good for the new snow" etc etc Laughing
Once I got out of my depth I'd come clean and admit I was infact a complete charlatan and start pushing the boards at people.
snow report
I don't even like the idea of Narrow Ass Snowboards, and I have a well-known Lib Tech bias.
Of course, they only did it to get their patents in Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy