Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
After many trips to France, I am looking for suggestions for a drivable Swiss resort for the ‘authentic’, Swiss experience… Any ideas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As my parents often drive down past Lausanne, through Valais and over the Grand St. Bernard to visit Courmayeur (they used to go through the MB tunnel until it closed), I would say Zermatt and any of the Valais resorts are reachable. If you use the Swiss Auto-routes you need an annual pass which lasts a year and is comparable to the MB tunnel toll(s).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are planning to use the car during the holiday, Les Diablerets and Villars are good options. At the nearer end of Switzerland (from UK p.o.v.), attractive villages, a decent sized linked ski area, and all the following within an hour's drive: Leysin, Verbier, Champery (Portes du Soleil), Les Mosses, Gstaad ski area
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
joskin, welcome to snowHeads snowHead Isn't there a stretch of water that would stop you from driving very far in any direction wink

Okay, okay...I'll go and mind my own business somewhere quiet rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courmayeur, I never thought of that I'll check it out thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
joskin, it's in Italy though, not Switzerland.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mind you Champery looks pretty and links to a huge ski area...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yea I know I was thinking creatively...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
joskin, sorry, just making sure. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
joskin

The tunnel has been open for a time now and the Grand St Bernard is such a long way round.
If you are thinking Courmayuer you might think for an extra 90mins try Cervinia which is very high and backs
into Zermatt which is the most beautiful resort. Expect 10 hours from Calais to Courmayuer if you don't hang about with lunches too much. Our best to Cham is 6 hrs 15...!!! obviously did not hang about at all...and we won't do that again..!!

I have been to the Aosta region a lot these last few years and it is easily drivable with the tunnel. Both the tunnel and the pass cost about £25.00 if I am not mistaken. Get the return option.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, the tunnel option is shorter. I'd not particularly recommend the Grand St Bernard route to Courmayeur. Not sure why my parents still use that route, but as they stop overnight anyway, I think it's just because they prefer it as a journey (they tend not to use the Autoroutes much, either).

Once you've got your car with you though, you can easily get to any of the Aostan resorts for a day from any of the others (though you'd have to get up early for one or two of them).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT,

I normally belt down to VD or Meribel in around 7 or 8 hours but not a lot of time to smell the roses.

I will get the morning ferry and like to hit the resort that evening, so one of the Aosta resorts might fit the bill, I will have a look.
Have you a favorite?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
joskin,

Hi

I like the Aosta in general. Not sure whether I would spend the week skiing in Courmayeur but would like to be based there. I think Cervinia is good all round, very high and has a good link to Zermatt. The Italians by and large leave the off-piste alone and there is plenty to keep you occupied. Village not too big but not too lively either. I have been to Gressoney a few times and it is a huge area with lots of wild trips, heliskiing etc. Champoluc is nearer but the same as Gressoney La trinite for nightlife, ie Zip..!!

I would choose Gressoney La trinite for the trips and Cervinia as second.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some people find Cervinia not demanding enough on piste (not me) but it does have Ventina (run 7), which is one my favourite ever pistes.
Also La Thuile and Pila are worth visiting. Pila is reachable by gondola from Aosta, and La Thuile is not far from Courmayeur. Not stayed in either but skied in both and they are both worth a visit.

There's plenty of info. on various resorts in the Valle d'Aosta in the Resorts fourm, as there's been plenty of people who've been there. If you're still after info. I recommend a new thread in there with a relevant title as some people won't be interested in this thread.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Many thanks for all your input on this, I will get down to some research

John S Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Well I've driven to italy and gone through switzerland, not too bad exellent roads, very long tunnles. plus you get the added bonus of driving past some of the best glaciers in europe. Awsome scenerie.
snow report
Has snowHeads got some sort of anti-Swiss bias?
This thread is called Driving to Switzerland and joskin asks for "a drivable Swiss resort for the ‘authentic’, Swiss experience". In repsonse he gets a whole lot of stuff about Italy (pace Julian T).
If you are driving, for best value, I would recommend Nendaz. It sits in the middle of the 4-Valleys. It has access to all the excellent skiing without the prices or posers of Verbier. It is "authentic". I went there for Easter four times in the 90s. I would happily go back again.
You can also drive to Verbier. Great fun. Sloan spotting. Celebrity spotting. Even skiing. We drove back via Chamonix.
A number of friends have been to Villars. They liked it.
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
..... or posers of Verbier....

Hey! I'm going to Verbier Embarassed snowHead
ski holidays
Alternatively the Jungfrau Region is easy enogh to get to, Wengen and Murren are car free but there are carparks in Lauterbrunnen including a multistory one right by the station, whilst Grindelwald is a drive in Resort, definately an area for the authentic Swiss experience and about 210km of pistes to ski on
ski holidays
Hi D G Orf, I was wondering how long before you turned up. snowHead
And don't worry Nick, you'll have a great time.
And try a bit of posing yourself. Or even synchronised posing - a family that poses together, stays together! Cool
snow report
Anybody see Top Gear tonight? Great!
snow conditions
But they didn't show how you carry the skis in the Ferrari.
ski holidays
Perhaps Clarkson is a blader? (thinks of the physics)... No, he'd sink.
ski holidays
I saw Top Gear, it seemed to me that the plane won basically Very Happy

I presume he came in via the Jura and into the Vaud, in which case they missed some footage, even in a Ferrari he'd have been passed by a bloke in a 205 and had a van 20cm from his rear bumper.

It wouldn't have been my choice of car either, I'd have had an RS4 personally Very Happy Fast, 4wd and plently of room for skis.
snow report
Jonpim

Hi

Where did you stay in Nendaz?
ski holidays
& I'd be interested how "English" that part of the 4V is as well, we're toying with buying a place there.
latest report
joskin, we always stayed in one of the chalets and self catered. Two families, four children, shared child-care, lots of skiing. Chalets hired through Interhome. There are hundreds of them.
snow conditions
I think I've said before but Interhome are a rip-off, they take nearly 50% commission on their rental rates. I can't believe it's not reflected in their prices. Contacting the local tourist office or agencies will almost certainly be cheaper.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I normally go to Switzerland from a crossing to Amsterdam. A 100 miles of busy Holland traffic and I shall be in Autobahn all the way to Basel. From that side one can hit Junfrau region via the Interlaken route. Going straight to Geneva Lake will see Villar, Gstaad on the left and Swiss side of Porte Du Soleil (Champery, Chatel) on the right. Verbier is on the left side if one goes up the Grand St. Bernard. The motorway go through Sion with the large Cran Montana resort on the left. Driving to Simpon pass will pass Zermat and Saas Fee on the left.

Thus the opportunity is enormous. This in the side linked with France only. Driving a bit more UK skiers can access the bigger Swiss/Italian area too.

Due to the number of resorts available I find more rewarding to hoop from place to place during a skiing trip. This allows a better coverage of the vast opporunity available.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy