Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

every ski resort in the world

Poster: A snowHead
I don't know how many there are-imagine it would be quite a few-you reckon between us snowHeads we've visited everywhere? Or at least 99% of places?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not even close to 50% I would imagine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm, I think I read somewhere that there are around 6,000 resorts around the world, so I would imagine snowHead as a whole have probably been to a fairly small proportion. The well known names in Europe & North America (by well known, I guess I mean the ones that appear in TO brochures and ski guides) must only account for around 30% of the overall figure.

I guess depends also on whether you mean active snowHead or the number registered, as we have no way of knowing what all the lurkers do...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deliaskis wrote:
we have no way of knowing what all the lurkers do...

That's a scandal. Fortunately, with the various new laws being put in place, we will soon know what everyone is doing all the time. Well, the government will, at least.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Think I have seen a figure of 670 resorts just for the Alps.

Alpine resorts are the biggest and more extensive than other major skiiing countries. European resorts can be used as good reference. Haven't skied USA yet but if Whistler is the largest in North America then I am not impressed. Japan's resorts are supposed the best in Asia, Austrilia and NZ but they are not in the same league as those in the Alps.

I suppose there are plenty of small resorts all over the world to make up the 6000 figure and they can be very enjoyable with the right snow condition. But for sheer scale, facilities and the variety of lifts I would rather like to exhaust the 670 Alpine resorts before looking elsewhere. In 10 years I managed just over 100 resorts (including small ones) in 13 countries. At this rate I have to give a miss to the majority of the 670 Alpines resorts, let alone the 6000 in the world.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

That's a scandal. Fortunately, with the various new laws being put in place, we will soon know what everyone is doing all the time. Well, the government will, at least.

and we all will two days later once the reports have been left somewhere Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
horizon wrote:
Deliaskis wrote:
we have no way of knowing what all the lurkers do...

Laughing OK, that maybe came out the wrong way! But to add to the scandal, there are also be many active snowHead who do not overtly declare their allegiances, so shockingly we have no way of knowing what kind of sub-cults / factions may be operating. It is indeed a scandal wink .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's quite a comprehensive list here:
http://www.goski.com
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Martin Bell wrote:
There's quite a comprehensive list here:
http://www.goski.com

yes good list but it doesn't have Yad Moss, Raise, Allenheads or Swinhope Moor - there must be many more ski tows dotted about in snowier places than england that are "off the map" so to speak.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Goski only reports some 2000 Gobal resorts so it is a long way off from the 6000.

Tajikistan got mentioned bacuse it has one resort that has one lift!

Austria's page has 150 entries but Bergfex (an Austria's own site) reports 322 resorts.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are thousands of commerical ski resorts worldwide.

From micro-resorts with 1km of runs through to mega-resorts like the 3 Valleys with 600km.

I would say the total number globally is closer to 6k than 2k.

And I bet no person on Earth has skied them all.

It would take atleast a decade or two.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold wrote:

And I bet no person on Earth has skied them all.

It would take atleast a decade or two.

I'm willing to take on the challenge if snowHeads will sponsor me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arv, I believe Masque researched all the ski resorts and there were many thousands Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:

Could well be; Patrick Thorne uses the numbers 5,700 and 5,800 on his website:
http://www.snow24.com/
("Ski centres" - implying that that also includes artificial slopes.)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's alot of research! Shocked
snow report
saikee wrote:
Think I have seen a figure of 670 resorts just for the Alps.

Alpine resorts are the biggest and more extensive than other major skiiing countries. European resorts can be used as good reference. Haven't skied USA yet but if Whistler is the largest in North America then I am not impressed. Japan's resorts are supposed the best in Asia, Austrilia and NZ but they are not in the same league as those in the Alps.

I suppose there are plenty of small resorts all over the world to make up the 6000 figure and they can be very enjoyable with the right snow condition. But for sheer scale, facilities and the variety of lifts I would rather like to exhaust the 670 Alpine resorts before looking elsewhere. In 10 years I managed just over 100 resorts (including small ones) in 13 countries. At this rate I have to give a miss to the majority of the 670 Alpines resorts, let alone the 6000 in the world.

What criteria of measurement saikee?

And bigger is not always better.

And the 3 Valleys is tiny compared with terrain available at Termas de Chillan in Chile.
snow report
arv, So far I've logged over 7K and I think the final total will be near10, BUT . . . MANY of these are one run and a donkey to drag you back up the 100 metres of gravel you've just ruined your bases on. Tthere are about 3.5K that could be described as a 'resort' and another1.5 that are best called a 'destination'. There are also many in the States that are semi private or kept secret by the locals.

This doesn't include skiable mountain where a bit of effort can have you looking at a personal heaven that the rest of you lardarsed beer hounds will never make a point of visiting. . . just look at some of Davidof's pics Twisted Evil
snow report
How do you define a ski resort?

Hautacam in the French pyrenees has multiple lifts however doesnt have any accomodation. Is it really a resort? More like a ski station. Its pedantic I know! snowHead

Can a slope/field with 1 tow/drag/t-bar etc. be called a ski resort?
ski holidays
Quote:

If so then circa 1985 England alone would have had at least 11 seperate 'resorts' I can think of, some with two or more tows. Today we are down to about six. In 10 years time ? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Have you read Ski the World by Arnie Wilson? He spends a year skiing every day in 100s of resorts across the world.
latest report
Christopher wrote:

If that's all that's available to you . . . it certainly can.

Just because we've become lazy, selfish and superficial in our need to be entertained by thousands of kilometres of perfectly groomed, not too demanding hillside doesn't mean that we should deride the ecstasy of those that are less blessed with our income and ability to travel . . . but still have a hill to slide on.

Let's not forget, if climate change keeps accelerating and we actually have an economy that allows us disposable income to go play on the white-stuff . . . then we may well be looking to visit some VERY non-familiar places to get our fix. Confused
snow conditions
Masque, I wonder what potential there is for new ski resorts in the himalayas?
snow conditions
Christopher, Is the RIGHT question - How do we define a ski resort. Does it require just skiing, or some sort of tow, accommodation etc. The ski tourers seem able to ski almost anywhere they get to on foot. The the heliskiers redefine even that. Before the tow was invented were they classed as ski resorts.
latest report
I would have thought a skiing resort is one that the public can go to, purchase a pass, take the mechanical lifts to a higher elevation and ski down.

The accommodation got nothing to do with a resort as visitors can stay in cheaper off-resort accommdoations, as most continental skiers do.

I thought the purpose people doing ski touring is to avoid skiing inside a resort.

The number of lifts should not matter either. Just count the lifts in La Grave or Vallee Blanche. Tochal in Iran also has two lifts only but the first one is 7km long!

Although the resort size should not be a determining factor for enjoying the sport but skiers having no knowledge/experience of say the major or the largest skiing resorts in each country would be unable to draw credible comparisons.

No doubt there are many other features skiers want from a resort. For example people who want a drink and like to see real snow would discount Dubai ski dome even some have ranked it as one of the most exquisite skiing places in the world by Forbes.
snow report
I have been out in Austria for 2 seasons.

Ski at least once every 3 days or so....

I get the Salzburger Super Ski Pass (with over 2,200km piste)...

I reckon i have skied less than half of the ski areas on offer on this pass over the course of 2 years! (That isn't half the Km available but half of the actual lift systems based in Austrian towns)

I challenge a SH to cover the whole Salzburger Super pass !!
ski holidays
So, what resorts does it cover?
snow conditions
My guess is that jacksonhole probably has come closer than any other snowhead to skiing the full list of resorts.
snow report
Skicow.com lists 2500 ski areas and 1500 ski villages.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy