Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just booked two flights to Treviso for next Jan...thinking of Arabba..

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone done any of the Southern Dolomite resorts? Thinking of Arabba or Cortina, but probably Arabba.

Have done a forum search and found some very good reports about Arabba - in fact, can't really seem to find anything bad about it!

The only issues i've found so far are getting to the resort from the airport and pre booking some accomodation.

There are a couple of companies that seem to do coach transfers from the airport to the resorts, but one only goes on Sat/Sun and the other seems to go every day bar the days i need it to go (plus it goes to Cortina, but i figured it would be fairly easy to get to Arabba from Cortina). Doesn't seem to be any direct public transport, so it looks like i'll be hiring a car and braving the italian roads!

I've found a few B&Bs that look pretty nice, located centrally and with pretty good prices... the issue is that quite a few of them say that they don't accept credit/debit cards, reservation requests have to be in writing with a small deposit! Is this the norm in Italy for small family run places?

Think I've picked well, just want to get it all sorted as i have a group trip to Ischgl in March to start organising as well!

As always, cheers for any info!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-06-08 9:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
magic_hat, have you looked at this transfer company?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RachelQ, Aye.. found them and also a company called Terravision or something like that... I'm going for a long weekend Wednesday to Monday, and neither of them cover these days with their transfers!

I'm hoping that next season they might do extra days (both websites still have 2008 data on them!).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PM snowball, he might have some info as he's organising a trip there this season following an excellent one three years ago. However, he's telling me that a lot of hotels do Sat-Sat only
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
horizon, will do, ta.

Had noticed that a lot of hotels only do 7 day HB bookings., luckily i prefer the B&Bs and they seem to do mostly 3 day minimums.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
magic_hat, no idea bout transfers but We had a nice long weekend in Cortina...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
magic_hat, Arraba is a good base for skiing but not the place to go if you are looking for a lively night life.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
riverman wrote:
magic_hat, Arraba is a good base for skiing but not the place to go if you are looking for a lively night life.

Suits me fine... I ski, i eat, i sleep... repeat until it's time to go home!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch wrote:
magic_hat, no idea bout transfers but We had a nice long weekend in Cortina...

It was actually Cortina i looked at first. Then i spotted Arabba and plumped for that as a base. If the terravision company do cheap Cortina transfers on convienient days, I may stay there instead... Both resorts look awesome!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
magic_hat, If cheap transfers would be a reason to chose a resort, Cortina may not be the first choice as once you are there it is expensive! Other areas in the Dolomites may have more of an attraction. We stayed in Selva and that was relatively cheap, relatively mind you!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
magic_hat, you haven't contacted me, as I notice you say above, but here I am.
Ristoro Lezuo right on the slopes and quite cheap (so I imagine quite basic) will do non- Sat- Sat, as will Hotel Digonera but it is 7 1/2 miles away so you would need transport (not sure if they offer that (as some others do).
Cortina is not nearly as nice as Arabba (it is a big town with a more limited ski area spread widely around the edges).
For the difficult times I want I am having to fall back on taxis. I can give you some phone numbers, but you have to decide if it is worth the money (at least €250; or €230 to Cortina - last year's prices). I want a full day's ski on the last day and to go out on a Friday, and the public transport (bus to Treviso, train to Belluno, bus (or taxi) to Arabba or Cortina is very time-consuming.
horizon's TR on our 06 holiday is here
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roy Hockley, To be honest, cost is not that much of an issue once i'm there... I'm happy to pay more for the right resort, decent accomodation etc... just don't want to pay through the nose for a transfer if there is an easy, cheaper way of getting to the resort!

snowball, Thanks for posting! I still was intending to contact you, but some friends were dithering over whether to come with us and this would have changed the situation quite significantly. Anyway, they've all bailed out now so it's back to just the two of us! Thanks for the link to Ristoro Lezuo, hadn't found that one in my web searching so appreciate you mentioning that one. It takes card payments too which is a definate advantage over some of the garni's i had found which seem to require a deposit but don't take cards! Didn't really fancy posting a load of euro's in the mail. You're right about maximising slope time... this is important and does seem to rule out the public transport option. I arrive in Venice on a Wednesday afternoon, so that days skiing is ruled out. However, on the Monday i can get some morning skiing in, provided i use a car to get back to the airport. The taxi prices you quote are pretty similar to the ones i found for this year, so i think i'm going to opt for a hire car. Did this for a long weekend in Les Contamines last year and it worked out great.

Also, cheers for the trip report link - looks awesome! I think i've chosen well this year!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
magic_hat, I know what you mean, after all it is a holiday!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
magic_hat, if you use Ryanair from Venice (Treviso) you can get a full last day skiing with their late flight (22.25) - or doesn't it run on Mondays?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, back bottom... either didn't notice this flight or it doesn't run Mondays! Too late now, i'm booked on the earlier one!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy