Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Gatwick-Grenoble, Cancelled Route

Poster: A snowHead
I booked 4 flights Gatwick-Grenoble return back in Feb for New-year for the bargain basement price of £107.50 each with BA.

This morning I receive a phone call from BA informing me that the route has been pulled, they gave me 2 options I can either have a full refund or I can transfer my flight and take the Heathrow to Lyon flight instead. I explained that this was most inconvenient but felt I had no other option but to accept, then she dropped the bombshell for the 4 of us it will be around an extra £300.

I of course have not accepted this and explained to her why should I have to find an extra £300 when it is me who is being inconvenienced. I also explained that I have booked a chalet, car hire and a hotel at Gatwick airport around the fact that I had flights booked going to Grenoble for £107.50 each and I will not receive a refund on these if I do not turn up.

The woman I spoke to was merely a ticket agent for BA and it was out of her hands. I asked to speak to someone more senior, as yet I am still awaiting a call back. I am sure that I am not the only one in this situation, how can BA get away with this, as far as I am concerned when I booked the flights I entered into a contract with BA.

Any advice please Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kel, no advice I'm afraid, only empathy. BA did exactly the same to us a couple of years ago on Man-Nice route, booked in April, for following January. Found out purely by chance (looked at the website to check timings) that the route was pulled and instead of Manchester to Nice direct, they expected us to change in Heathrow on the way out, and in Gatwick on the way back, turning a 2 hour journey each way, into 7 hours! We did get a full refund as I knew we could get cheaper direct flights with EJ, but BA didn't know this and didn't care how inconvenienced we were. No compensation, no notification. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You might get some good advice from Flyertalk.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just to update : I have called BA with an intention of accepting this rip off only to find out the the extra cost of £75 each will only buy me ridiculous flight times (19.20 Dep going out, 07.00 Dep return ) if I want similar times it will cost me an extra £800 for the 4 of us.

I can only persue compensation after I have travelled or cancelled, don't expect I will get anywhere with this. I think my best option will be to accept a refund and drive there instead which is what I was originally intending to do.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kel, can you claim the car hire and hotel on insurance? it's not your fault you won't be using them
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx, I think he will be able to cancel the car hire this far in advance anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The car hire was booked through BA, they will refund this. I have already cancelled the hotel as it was at Gatwick they charged me a Tenner admin. I can stand that an extra £800, ouch
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guess who let his annual travel insurance lapse a couple of weeks ago Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
reminds me, I need to book my eurotunnel crossing while there is still room.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kel, bad luck, that's really miserable. There are still some Snowheads who insist on discussing BA as the "quality option". They're no different to any of the cheapo airlines, when push comes to shove.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GRR, Eurotunnel office closes at 7pm Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Kel, bad luck, that's really miserable. There are still some Snowheads who insist on discussing BA as the "quality option". They're no different to any of the cheapo airlines, when push comes to shove.

Up until now I was one of them Razz , looking forward to driving now though
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kel wrote:
Guess who let his annual travel insurance lapse a couple of weeks ago Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

If you had valid travel insurance at the time you booked, you should be covered, shouldn't you?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vetski, but not if he claims now, surely?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You know now I've had a rant and got it off my chest I really can't be bothered. I was even prepared to give them an another £300 until I found out the times on offer.

Just another example of "Rip Off Britian" and us Brits just accept it.
latest report
holidayloverxx, I don't see why not. If you're covered when you make a booking, that should be relevant, not whether you have valid insurance at the time of cancellation, I'd have thought. Any insurance experts out there to assuage my curiosity?
latest report
No expert but it is my understanding that the insurance cover is for the specific time the "loss" occurred not when the contract was entered into.

What I think is disgusting though is you have entered into an agreement with BA, they have broken that agreement so surely it sould be up to them to offer an alternative at no extra cost to yourself. Even if they can get out of it through a technicality you would think it would make sense from a customer service point of view to do it.
snow conditions
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
No expert but it is my understanding that the insurance cover is for the specific time the "loss" occurred not when the contract was entered into.

that would be my understanding, otherwise the same argument could apply if you needed medical assistance on the slopes - I suspect the "Well I was covered when I booked in July" probably wouldn't wash.
snow report
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
What I think is disgusting though is you have entered into an agreement with BA, they have broken that agreement so surely it sould be up to them to offer an alternative at no extra cost to yourself. Even if they can get out of it through a technicality you would think it would make sense from a customer service point of view to do it.

You would think so, especially when the booking is made well in advance and they have held your money in that period, but it seems not to be the case. When BA cancelled our route, we didn't even get an email or phone call, so could well have only found out on arrival in Manchester. No question of any kind of 'goodwill' gesture let alone compensation for the hassle. It does mean that we are unlikely to book with them again, in case it happened again - Kel's experience shows they are still doing it
snow report
Did you have alternative choices when you booked that are now unavailable or have since got up in price?
Try googling the legal term "loss of bargain", it may come into play.
ski holidays
Read the terms and conditions, they were available when you bought the ticket and available now, this can happen to any one who buys a ticket a long time in advance

I had the same thing on a flight to Dublin (with a different airline) to watch a footy match, flight was cancelled and they were obliged to offer an alternative or offer a refund.
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
Read the terms and conditions, they were available when you bought the ticket and available now, this can happen to any one who buys a ticket a long time in advance

I had the same thing on a flight to Dublin (with a different airline) to watch a footy match, flight was cancelled and they were obliged to offer an alternative or offer a refund.

They have themselves covered on every angle, basically they can shaft you and there is nothing you can do about it, other than cancel and get a refund. You can pursue a claim either after cancellation or after you have returned from your revised travel, but I think you may as well bang your head against a brick wall.

What I cannot understand is from a P.R. point of view is why they do it even if they can get away with it.
ski holidays
Dear Kel
complete sympathy. Can i suggest the Train as you planned to fly from Gatwick. Thameslink takes you straight to St pancras international to Grenoble about 6.5 hrs easy change in Paris, and no luggage restriction. Loads of Car hire options from Grenoble station. Eurostar available 5 months in adavnce TGV 3-4 months in advance. Recomend rail canterbury if happy to pay agent. Apologise as have repeated this on previous Thread.
latest report
Anniepen wrote:

You would think so, especially when the booking is made well in advance and they have held your money in that period, but it seems not to be the case. When BA cancelled our route, we didn't even get an email or phone call, so could well have only found out on arrival in Manchester. No question of any kind of 'goodwill' gesture let alone compensation for the hassle. It does mean that we are unlikely to book with them again, in case it happened again - Kel's experience shows they are still doing it

Jeezo, I used to work for them and have a big soft spot for BA but this is not exactly the way to go is it. How hard would it have been to say "I'm sorry we have transfered you to our Lyon flight at no extra cost to you and please accept access to our lounges in both airports by way of an apology."
snow report
Try Eurostar to Lille and TGV to Grenoble.
We did this in March last for £99 return booked on line. Connection in Lille is approx 1 hour 20 mins , Dep St Pancras 0700 arr Grenoble approx 1500.
snow conditions
dan2000,

Thats good. I did Paris to Grenoble last year... a doddle of a ride and came in just under 4 hrs IIRC
snow conditions
Have decided to drive there instead, Stopover in Troyes then about 350 miles next day. Set off early enough and I should beat the traffic and be skiing by lunchtime
ski holidays
Kel, I know it's of no use now but if you had booked an IT (Inclusive tour) package holiday the whole holiday under abta and atol protection would have been protected from beginning to end. BA are only responsible for their particular element of the holiday, i.e the flight. I am not sure about the car hire thing but I know with many (Ryan air spings to mind) the car hire is a seperate contract and they dont even refund that if the flight is cancelled as the booking is via a feed to a third party company. This whole situation makes a mockery of expensive abta bonds when airlines can seemingly do as they please. For instance if you booked direct with BA and they went bust you would have to go through the recievers to try and get your money back whereas through a tour operator you are covered.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel wrote:
You know now I've had a rant and got it off my chest I really can't be bothered. I was even prepared to give them an another £300 until I found out the times on offer.

Just another example of "Rip Off Britian" and us Brits just accept it.

Don't roll over like a loser.

Ring the Citizens Advice Bureau. Scan their website.

Swot up on all the various legal acts that can put the argument back in your favor.

Put your law-based complaint (if there is one) to BA in writing. Doing it over the phone is a waste of time.

Stand up for your consumer rights.

Ask for compensation.

Write (politely but firmly) to the highest-ranking official you can find. Go straight to the organ-grinder.

Good luck.
snow report
Whitegold,

They have themselves absolutely covered, they can cancel a flight up to 14 days before departure and there is nothing you can do, they have no obligation to give compensation or offer an alternative if they our outside the 14 day window. But from a P.R. prospective it astounds me that they do this.

I've already rolled over and accepted defeat, I have explored some avenues but never have my words fallen on quite so deaf ears. You have to forget it and move on.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Swot up on all the various legal acts that can put the argument back in your favor.

Put your law-based complaint (if there is one) to BA in writing. Doing it over the phone is a waste of time.

Ask for compensation.

Write (politely but firmly) to the highest-ranking official you can find. Go straight to the organ-grinder.

Good luck.

Hilarious. Tattyfilariously funny. Taking these things on the chin isn't being a loser. Over a lifetime of travel you are bound to have such events that cause you inconvenience and cost you money. You just move on cheerfully and put it down to experience. Losers are those that rant and rave, spend hours on the phone (in a queue Laughing ), writing seventeen pages letters, threatening everyone at the airline with Watchdog and being outed on a forum, whinge, moan, whinge, moan ad infinitum until your own mates tell you to get a life. Will the OP ever fly BA again?... 'course he will.
snow report
Whitegold is right though. I'm not sure he phrased it very well, but he's right.

The things you take on the chin are delays and taxes, things like that. Things that are out of everyone's control.

A company hanging on to your money for months and months, and then kicking you in the bollocks however is well worth complaining about and doing so publicly if possible. We pay their wages remember.
latest report
paulio, the problem is that BA have to plan months and years in advance. The fuel crisis is huge for them. Aviation fuel takes additional refinement to standard automotive fuel. Hedged price deals have all gone, airports have increased charges, ancillary services have gone up massively. Fuel accounts for around 30% of a flight seat add that to inflation and ebverything else means prices have escalated to riciculous levels. This is a very complicated service industry and not just something that can be thrown together - just look at how many airlines have gone bust obverthe last 118 months (Silverjet Maxjet EOS EUjet - all off the top of my head). Now BA will not have wanted to pull the plug on this route but they are fire fighting - do we all expect them to trade without a business brain and go bust and thus leave millions of people without flights or stranded? They gave the money back in fair advanced warning. Why should they be liable for accommodation expenses and transfers? Their liability extends only to their portion of the contract you have with them.......the solution - next time book an atol/abta package and then you have the security of the trip in it's entirety.

I truely feel sorry for Kel's predicament but these large companies client's are their shareholders. If the holiday had been booked through me I would have made sure that we sorted this problem out by a process of dialogue and compromise. Having said that, it isnt really a case of rip off Britain as BA aren't earning any money out of this situation. BA should at least have honoured the price of the airtickets on alternative routes offered that were available on the day that the cancelled flight was booked - that seems fair to me.

As an aside, recently Rail Europe decided on Easter saturday that they were not going to operate a train from the alps back to the UK and instead it would be on the Sunday - their suggestion - just get your clients to stay an extra night! What? when we have new clients coming in? So the rail options arent always as good. Also I was waiting for the last Eurostar train of the season from Waterloo to BSM and they cancelled it for "economic reasons" We had to catch Eurostar to Paris, get the tube to Charles de Gaulle, then a train from CDG to Lyon and then another to BSM - this was with skis boots luggage pushchairs and an infants! The train isnt always as easy, but these things happen in travel. all part of life's rich tapestry.. Confused
snow conditions
That's all true, chief amongst it this bit:

"BA should at least have honoured the price of the airtickets on alternative routes offered that were available on the day that the cancelled flight was booked - that seems fair to me."

And that's the point. They didn't. Irrespective of their economic reasons, what they did was consumer hostile and deserves some bad PR. Complaining, loudly, is absolutely appropriate in this instance, not just accepting it.
snow report
Kel, i puffed my chest out ready for a verbal/wriiten fight but when I read the T&Cs it was, as you suggest, pointless! Crying or Very sad
snow report
My advice for any travellers next season is not to book any flights to or from any regional airports as these are the routes that the airlines will Pull first with the fuel increases & coming recession.
snow conditions
paulio, point taken there.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Ask for compensation.

Good luck.

Hilarious. Tattyfilariously funny. Taking these things on the chin isn't being a loser. Over a lifetime of travel you are bound to have such events that cause you inconvenience and cost you money. You just move on cheerfully and put it down to experience. Losers are those that rant and rave, spend hours on the phone (in a queue Laughing ), writing seventeen pages letters, threatening everyone at the airline with Watchdog and being outed on a forum, whinge, moan, whinge, moan ad infinitum until your own mates tell you to get a life. Will the OP ever fly BA again?... 'course he will.

You are not just a loser.

You are a sucker, too.

A classic example of organized, sophisticated supply triumphing over lazy, unsophisticated demand.
ski holidays
Easyjet seem to have dicked around with their routes for next winter, though the full picture is not yet available - suspect some fairly sophisicated yield management analysis has been done and the routes/times with least profit in them will be canned on the presumption that there will be less discretionary air travel. This will include airports who don't slash landing fees I suspect.
latest report
fatbob, landing fees are increasing - take Innsbruck for example...... Crying or Very sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy