Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RyanAir Hidden Baggage Charges...

Poster: A snowHead
All Ryanair's charges are readily found on their website http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All seems quite cheap when compared to rail travel in the UK Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
magic_hat wrote:
Anyone else looked at the cost of Ryan Air flights for next winter?

Liverpool - Venice coming in at £33 return for January.. sounds great. Until you add in £75 extra if you want to take any luggage with you!

Lets put things into perspective here - Newcastle to Sheffield is £80 return by train. rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smokin Joe, couldn't agree more. As a friend of mine found out to his cost, the walk up fare for London to Ipswich is £61 return.

I really don't get all this stamping of feet and foaming at the mouth going on.

Ryanair can charge exactly what they want, if you don't like it find someone else, it's not hard. No-one has a right to cheap flights or free ski carraige.

I'm a bit bemused by all this ranting.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
how much would it be to courier skis/baggage from your house to the resort? sure i saw a service along these lines somewhere. i am sure ryanair will always keep themselves a bit cheaper than that, but i'd pay a few quid just to avoid the hassle of lugging everything to the airport
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Walk up for Darlington to London £238
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm fortunate enough to mostly travel with hand-luggage only, so paying for different aspects of the flight separately is a good thing for me.

I tend not to look at the prices quoted by whatever airline I'm looking at until the final stage of the process (ditto car hire). It's the total cost that is the only important factor, so how it is broken down isn't too relevant.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But can I take my boots and helmet on as hand luggage?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, anyone with the cash to set up a ski storage and servicing operation in the Alps, close to the major airports could be onto a winner. Frosty the Snowman, as our logistics expert, we would also need transport between the airports for people choosing to arrive at a different airport next winter.
A link up with tour ops would be good too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree that the price is not all that bad (and i may well actually be booking the flights today).

My issue is that it makes shopping around almost impossible. You can't just sit down for an hour, scan all the websites and then compare like for like costs. Not when you actually have to spend 20 minutes going all the way through the booking process for a single airline before you find out the real charge. It turns a simple comparing process into a half day chore.

Why not just have the baggage options available right from the start so that the price you see is the price you will be paying.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, i have thought about this in the past but never quite worked out how to make it profitable enough to keep me in the style to which i have become accustomed Cool

that said, the swiss rail/post/bus system has quite a cool thing where you can drop your kit off at a station/major bus stop and it will get delivered to whichever other station/bus stop you require
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, People transport!!!...ooh no, I think you need THIS person
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always calculate the total travel cost from A to B because travelling to the airports, parking can work out to be a huge extra on the flight itself!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BA price to Treviso is now about the same as Ryanair, taking into account the extras. However Ryanair do a very late return flight so I can ski all day in the Dolomites before returning.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton, I thought that such an environmentally conscious campaigner as yourself didn't fly anyway? And certainly doesn't own a car, so what exactly are the parking charges you refer to?
ski holidays
Actually I just priced the Venice (Marco Polo or Treviso) trip from London (return) with skis and Ryanair were £135 (£74 of that baggage), Easyjet (summer prices) £213 (£43 of that baggage) and BA were £101.60 (no extra for baggage). BA clearly the cheapest (but no late night flight - 7.30pm the latest they do).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-06-08 11:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Helen Beaumont, a good idea, but doesn't it alreday exist? It's called ski hire... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Trouble is you can't hire off piste skis in the Dolomites - not even semi-fats (Our experience of ski rental Arabba: assistant pointing to some wide skis in for repair "off piste - crazy!")
snow report
Ryan air do a lot of v. early and v. late flights to airports that are very handy for short ski trips..
snow report
snowball, Then take your own skis and pay for the privilege! The OP price seemed ok, but I remember the old days when flight from UK to Ireland was £200 each way! That was over 25 years ago when BA and Aer Lingus had no competion, now there is competition and it is considerably cheaper.

I have a gripe with the airlines that do not show the full and final price, but it is certainly cheaper than years ago. For everyone that is moaning about the ridiculous cost of the fair for their winter trip, just remember what it was really like in the bad old days of no competition!!! London - Venice 25 years ago, probably about the price of your left kidney! wink
snow report
Roy Hockley wrote:
probably about the price of your left kidney! wink

Which is more expensive than most snowHead livers, I imagine.
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, I remember those days as well, & flying to Europe, unless you were including a saturday night in your stay, the price was extortionate Shocked Even with a saturday it wasnt much better.
snow report
Yes, air travel is amazingly cheap still compared with what it used to be. That Saturday night rule was a real killer. London-Munich cheapest fare was always £200+ in the 80s and Italy way more than that. Comparing like-for-like I reckon that computes to £400 or more today (certainly the average wage must have more than doubled). I'd like to see the moaners start their own airline.
latest report
magic_hat wrote:
I agree that the price is not all that bad (and i may well actually be booking the flights today).

My issue is that it makes shopping around almost impossible. You can't just sit down for an hour, scan all the websites and then compare like for like costs.

In which case, phone up a travel agent and pay them to do that for you. The problem is, we're expecting to get something for nothing. Unfortunately you either put the legwork in, or pay someone else to do it for you.
ski holidays
Despite the new prices Ryanair is still best for my Dolomites trip.
ski holidays
Despite the new prices Ryanair is still best for my Dolomites trip. Basically, given global warming, it is probably a good thing if ultra cheap flights end.
latest report
Despite the new prices Ryanair is still best for my Dolomites trip. Basically, given global warming, it is probably a good thing if ultra cheap flights end.
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
magic_hat wrote:

My issue is that it makes shopping around almost impossible. You can't just sit down for an hour, scan all the websites and then compare like for like costs.

In which case, phone up a travel agent and pay them to do that for you. The problem is, we're expecting to get something for nothing. Unfortunately you either put the legwork in, or pay someone else to do it for you.

That's still not what i am getting at. I want to be able to do it myself... my problem is that you have to go all the way through the booking process with Ryan Air (i.e. you have to enter all your details, your address, all your booking information etc etc) before you get a total price. There is absolutely no reason that price can't be displayed before you get all the way through to the end screen.

I am not expecting to get something for nothing at all. The prices are the prices and i expect to pay more to take skis... but i expect to be able to find out the cost of this without having to complete multiple screens of information filling and virtually complete the booking.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 20-06-08 14:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
genepi, Book a month ahead of time and a Saturday night, thats correct! Apex or somehting, times have surely changed!
snow report
David Murdoch, but the ski are not yours, and the boots............ well we wouldn't want hire boots would we?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Helen Beaumont, People transport!!!...ooh no, I think you need THIS person

NOOO............ Ski transport.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, send them by air, only £30-£60
latest report
magic_hat, ah, right. Sorry. I don't use ryanair, so wasn't aware that you couldn't get that info. Easyjet publish it before you log in.
latest report
magic_hat, I suspect that part of the reason behind this is RyanAir wanting to make it difficult for price comparison software to use their website.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B wrote:
magic_hat, ah, right. Sorry. I don't use ryanair, so wasn't aware that you couldn't get that info. Easyjet publish it before you log in.

No problem!
snow report
If sending skis to the Alps by courier bears any relation to the cost of sending a rather small parcel a few miles across England, you might as well buy a new pair when you get there. I imagine that big hikes in ski carriage costs will do wonders for the ski hire business. Most resorts in France, even quite small ones, seem to have a reasonable choice of skis. French skiers, even those who ski every year, mostly seem to hire skis; that's why even small resorts have so many ski hire shops, I suppose.

FWIW there's a comprehensive list of FAQs including all baggage charges and other fees on the front page of Ryanair's website.
snow report
snowball wrote:
Basically, given global warming, it is probably a good thing if ultra cheap flights end.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, there's been no increase in warming globally for the last 10 years and the earths temperatures are starting to drop! http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/uah_may_08.png

It's not man made CO2 it's the sun! Enjoy your flights and holidays snowHead wink
latest report
More important things to be angry about...

Just my two cents.
snow report
Please stop flying with cheap airlines . They may be convenient but they are harming your kids & there kids.
snow report
They are not cheap airlines. They are "no frills airlines".
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy