Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RyanAir Hidden Baggage Charges...

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone else looked at the cost of Ryan Air flights for next winter?

Liverpool - Venice coming in at £33 return for January.. sounds great. Until you add in £75 extra if you want to take any luggage with you!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-06-08 8:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have booked 4 of us to go to Norway in the summer for a wedding.

3 on one booking, max hand luggage and online check in
1 on its own, taking a checked bag

We saved about £80 doing it that way AIR
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was includeing my skis... they want £33 for the return flight. £24.99 to check a bag into the hold and another £25 each way for "sports equipment"!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
magic_hat, that is astronomical!! Have easyjet upped their baggage charges too?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scratch the £33, just re-done is to check calculations and the flight cost is now £49.

Think i'll be ruling ryan air out of my planning!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just check in an item of sports equipment and stuff everything in it as they don't weigh it. No hold luggage save £24.99
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The all-up price doesn't sound too bad to me. What's a reasonable price?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magic_hat, I know what you say. I wish they would be more honest and up front re pricing structures. That said £100 return flight to Venice is a pretty good start to your holiday! Should work out a cheap break, if you can get accomodation for a reasonable sum. The days of £50 return flights are more of a gimmick than actual pricing structure.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is the beginning of the end for the cheap airlines.

They want to take you on holiday. However, if you want to take any luggage then that is to bad.

I would'nt be surprised if they started charging/fining there passengers if they showed up at checking in with NO luggage Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 19-06-08 22:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roy Hockley wrote:
The days of £50 return flights are more of a gimmick than actual pricing structure.

We are going to Knock in a couple of weeks from Luton for £50 return. No baggage though, it is just for a weekend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not a rip-off its just their business model.

It may grate somewhat as it appears to unfairly target skiers but it is perfectly possible to go skiing with hand luggage only if you're minimalist about it. If you don't like it fly with someone else or just think about the options you'd have had 15 years ago - Scaretours or Crystal/TUI take it or leave it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, ....and as long as you are happy to take your chances when hiring equipment.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
magic_hat wrote:
scratch the £33, just re-done is to check calculations and the flight cost is now £49.

Think i'll be ruling ryan air out of my planning!

Basic flight cost to turin is £99 before taxes and luggage single in march. that's not low cost.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i think its fair enough.. the flight is that.. luggage which has to be loaded and unloaded is extra.. big things like skis or bikes are extra again.. if anything its more transparent and fairer than an all in price
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Personally I find the way Ryanair advertise their prices out of order, and £50 for skis is just ridiculous...
That said IF they are still cheaper than the competition then it is something that we are going to put up with.

People have to stop looking at the advertised prices. Consider Ryanair as any other airlines...go through the booking process, see the total price and compare it to the others..
If cheaper then go with them and be happy to get the best deal, if not (as is more and more the case, at least for ski destinations) go with the others...and be equally happy

But should by now have realised that the prices claimed by Ryanair only have a small teneous link to (practical) reality and just look at the price "all in".
latest report
I thought there was a ruling forcing airlines to quote full prices rather than 3 euros each way plus zillions in random charges, but didn't they grant some kind of temporary exception to Ryanair ?

Maybe they got around the rule by shifting the extras to be "optional extras" (eg priority boarding, baggage fee, non-self-check-in, etc.) rather than "compulsory extras" (eg fuel surcharge, booking fee, etc.), so that they can't quote an all inclusive flight price?

Certainly the scheduled airlines now tend to quote an inclusive price, and are often just as competitively priced as the no-frills airlines.
latest report
if ryan air advertise say dublin for a fiver then that is the fact.. you can fly to dublin and they will charge you a fiver.. fat gordos tax share isnt their doing, and the fact that you have to travel naked and cant eat anything 36 hours before boarding is niether here nor there wink
snow conditions
Shame they don't charge based on passenger weight, seems fair to me.
ski holidays
Guvnor wrote:
fatbob, ....and as long as you are happy to take your chances when hiring equipment.....

Or leave you kit at an accomodating hotel etc between trips - I did this very successfully last year.

Boots can go in hand luggage very well and its a rare resort indeed where you can't find decent rental skis with a modicum of effort.,
This may mean that rather than bulky jeans your apres kit becomes shorts etc. but then if you're desperate to shave costs that shouldn't bothe r you too much.
ski holidays
While flights can still be relatively good value, it does seem to me as if the era of "cheap flights" has come to an end. Four years or so ago we were having reasonably regular long-weekend climbing trips (before we got into skiing) to places such as Reus (nr Barcelona) and Alghero (Sardinia) for about £70 return for two of us, and that included baggage! It seems that just the "taxes and charges" come to that nowadays, let alone extras for taking baggage.
latest report
CANV CANVINGTON,

You don't see the price of fuel advertised without its tax element....
Shops, and the majority of websites also include the VAT in their prices (although some don't which I find just as annoying and time wasting because I am being enticed to visit a website thinking I might get a good price only to find out taxes need to be added and the price is not competitive at all).

Ok it is not illegal....does not mean it's right...

I don't moan actively about it and not loosing sleep over it(just in case you were worried Very Happy )because I know what they're up to and so should most people by now. But I wish they weren't allowed to advertise in this way...
The traffic on their website would be somewhat lower me thinks if the real price (i.e. incl. tax) was the one advertised...
snow report
fatbob wrote:
It's not a rip-off its just their business model.

laundryman wrote:
The all-up price doesn't sound too bad to me. What's a reasonable price?

My main gripe about it is that you pick your flights and it comes out with £33.

A screen or two later, you find out that you have to pay £25 for a checked in bag and tick a box to say "i want to take sports equipment". No price is given for the ski equipment at this point.

The you fill in all your information and click to confirm. At this point (after all this effort) they tell you about the £50 to take the skis.

The all-in cost is not really my issue... my issue was mainly that you have to get right through the booking process and entering all your details before you actually get told the actual price.
snow conditions
jonm wrote:
Shame they don't charge based on passenger weight, seems fair to me.

Seems fair enough if you've spent all your life eating 6 McLard burgers every night but I think having to jam my legs in between the seats is enough of a cost for being larger (taller) than average.
ski holidays
magic_hat wrote:
The all-in cost is not really my issue... my issue was mainly that you have to get right through the booking process and entering all your details before you actually get told the actual price.

Tend to agree there.
I have no problem if it lists 3 GBP for the flight and itemises 17 different optional and compulsory extras, so long as it shows the full price including all taxes at the bottom at the point where you select the outward and return legs, and automatically updates when you select different options or flight times.

BA economy used to be like ryanair iirc, but now lists the full price (they don't have the 17 optional extras, only compulsory ones). But when you get to the end it gives a breakdown of flight cost, airport tax, fuel surcharge etc. Lufthansa is the same.

(NB not booked flight for a while on those, so I could be wrong)
latest report
Swirly, true. There's never enough legroom though and I'm only 5'9 Sad
snow conditions
The overlall price seems ok to me. I'd be happy with that.
latest report
I do have a bit of a problem with the separate charge for hold luggage when the liquids in hand luggage regs make it practically impossible to avoid hold luggage these days. If you have a choice about something that attracts an extra charge, OK. If you have effectively no choice, then it should be included in the flight price otherwise it's (morally) close to misrepresentation IMV - presumably hence the ruling on including the taxes in the headline price
ski holidays
Just for comedy value I'm trying to (1) price up a trip this season with Ryanair. So far I've only got 2 flights selected, no luggage or any other extras but already the price is pushing £200 return Shocked The equivalent flight 2 years ago with Thomsonfly was £71 inc all taxes, charges and ski carriage.

(1) I say trying to as the website doesn't appear to want to let me know what all the various extra charges are so I couldn't actually book it if I wanted to. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

your apres kit becomes shorts etc.

my future son in law spent all his apres ski time in shorts and flip flops, on his first trip out with us. He packed his gear including ski boots in a commendably small bag. He's a minimalist kind of guy, though just got telephone call from my daughter from A & E in Brighton where he looks like having broken his foot windsurfing (overhead loop... whatever that is) so maybe he'll have a heavy plaster for the next several weeks, which would include their wedding. Laughing I agree that having all the extras as "extra" is transparent and fairer, though the sooner they start charging for passenger weight the better. I object to taking my 3 year old skinny little granddaughter with a Barby backpack, paying the same as some hulking great overweight brute in biker gear with heavy hand baggage. And all luggage should be charged by the kilo, regardless of whether it is a bike, skis, golf clubs, kids buggies or spare bikinis. But even with these annoyances the whole system is vastly superior to what existed 15 years ago - we all have short memories about how expensive and "take it or leave it" flying used to be.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, I believe you have to put all your details in before you can add the extras.
snow report
pam w,

But if there was a fattist penalty I'd also demand:

a faffer's penalty which would obviously escalate with number of kids

a bad attitude penalty e.g. for those mugs who've paid for speedy boarding who then think that this entitles them to a whole row to themselves,

a "getting my purse" penalty for those women who don't consider that it might be easier to slip it in the seat pocket rather than climb over everyone mid flight because they want a bacardi

and a short person's penalty for those who can't get their hand bagge in the overhead locker unaided

wink
snow report
Quote:

a bad attitude penalty e.g. for those mugs who've paid for speedy boarding who then think that this entitles them to a whole row to themselves,

fatbob, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I flew to Dublin last week with Ryanair. Couldn't help but notice that hand luggage seems to have gone the other way now and people seem to be able to bring small suitcases/trollies on board which caused a delay while people struggled to get them up the steps, into the overhead lockers and back down the steps and to make me even more cross they then dawdled along with their cases preventing others from walking at a decent pace along the many kilometres to baggage reclaim Evil or Very Mad rant over.
I guesss the checked-in luggage charge is partly to blame for this.
ski holidays
Lou, similar problem on packed EJ flight in April. There was hardly enough room in the lockers for everyone to store bags. I have no issue with legroom as I am 5ft1 so can comfortably put mine under my seat. Some bags were huge though.
ski holidays
Gasp!! It's gonna cost as much as nearly sixty quid return for a pair of skis or a snowboard with Ryanair next winter!! They have got to be taking the pi$$!!

If you are planning on taking only hand luggage and a ski bag then the cost is £50 return for the skis PLUS the compulsory charge of £4 each way to check in your ski bag at the airport. Grand total = a £58 supplement!!

On grounds of principle, I am seriously considering paying more to use other airlines. In my view, Ryanair does not deserve a single skier or snowboarder booking next winter.
latest report
I've long thought that Ryanair do not want skiers who bring a load of kit, including skis, with them, and charges accordingly. Fair enough, it's their airline, and their marketing decision. Solution: don't book with them if you have all that kit.
snow conditions
Last year Ryanair offered free ski carriage for a while, I know because I booked then for a trip to Bergamo (booked it in September 2007 I think) and took my skis, which I wouldn't have done otherwise as it was only a long weekend. I wonder if they will have a similar offer this year.
ski holidays
magic_hat, I'd call it a bargain. Transporting you and all your undies from Liverpool to Venice and back for £108. Unless you want to walk or hitch a ride it's about as cheap as it can possibly get. I had a hand in running an airline once upon a time and it was fantastic fun... until the pesky passengers turned up.
latest report
Cheap Airlines are dead men walking. There whole business model has been taken apart. The Major operators compete along the same lines to airports where you want to go too. Most expect you to come with luggage (as its normal) and will not charge.

Bye bye Easy Jet, Ryan Air etc.

On a constructive note.

I think airlines websites should be forced to reverse the input criteria. i.e

Q1 . Route & How much luggage are you taking
ans Price
Q2 . How many people
ans Total Price

This way I think many folk may bail out at the 1st option.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 19-06-08 22:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stanton wrote:
cheap Airline are dead men walking. HTere whole buinsess model has been ottoen aprt. The Mmajor opearaotr compete aling the sma eline to airports wherr you ant to got ot , Most expect you to luggage (as it nor,al)and woilllnnot chage.
Bye bye Easy Jet, Ryan Air etc.

Been in the coffe shops?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy