Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone give me their views on the Grand Massif, in particular the village of Sixt. We are thinking of buying in the village with a view to relocating in the near future.[/b]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lovely little place in winter and summer - my impression is that it is a quiet, pretty place and that you would need to be prepared to drive/bus to Samoens (and maybe back too as the Cascades run from Flaine is only open in the very best of conditions) for all but the best of the season to access good snow. I think this year was particularly good though.

I'm sure a more knowledgeable snowHead will be along shortly! Welcome, and good luck with move. VERY Going green Going green Going green
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Lou
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It has a pretty good small ski area, that is usually very quiet. Cascades is often very stoney in the lower part, and the top rollers are not much fun in a white out as you need to keep the speed up, but you can't see! When its in good condition the bottom part of it is good. They wanted to build a lift up into the grand massif, but have not been allowed. The bus is often quite crowded, and samoens access can be rather busy. You can get to the old gondola further on than samoens that now never has a queue.

Sixt always seems very very quiet to me, but very shady in mid winter, but i only ski down cascades, (good iced waterfalls to look at) have a play in the ski area, (grumble about having bashed my skis on cascades if its a bit marginal), lunch, than back on bus as its a trek back to les carroz. So no idea what it is like later on.

There does seem to be quite a few new chalets being built when looking down from the ski area.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dixon66, Lovely village, but if you want reliable snow on your doorstep look elsewhere. The rest of the GM is fine and Sixt had a good last season, however the season before it didn't open at all.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nothing new really to add. Would agree with the previous posts.

Sixt is pretty but very small and quiet. Also, tends to be in the shade most of the time as it is in a steep part of the valley. Properties probably much cheaper than Samoens, Les Carroz and Morrillon for these reasons.

Skiing - has its own small, low ski area. Never skied there so cannot comment. The Cascade run ends at Sixt. Probably open for about 1/2 of the season. There are no ski lifts from Sixt into the Grand Massif area. Be prepared to drive to Samoens each day for skiing (I think there is a bus), and also for dining options - about 10 minute drive.

Well located in the summer to access Lake Geneva - haven't driven it but can't be much more than 30 mins?

Don' know your motives for considering re-locating, but if it were to run a business, you may be better served basing yourself in one of the other above mentioned villages of the Grand Massif.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Once again, agree with pretty much all of the above. Been to GM several times now in both summer and winter and love the place. Like yourself I am planning to buy something out there, and with the state of things in this country the knock-on affect is now been seen over there. Properties in this area are falling in price (have seen several plots/chalets drop the best part of €100,000 in past yr). but saying that this area is still pricey.

Sixt is V quiet in summer, however the hiking around the area is great. Never been up to Sixt in the winter and the Cascades has always been closed when I have tried to descend it. I have focused my trips around the other villages of GM (Morillon, Les Carroz & Samoens). I think I am right in saying that the lifts at Les Carroz and Morillon are the only ones open in the Summer time, which has always seemed strange that the GM express in Samoens is not open.

If you are thinking of buying for investment, you might want to consider Verchaix, opposite Morillon. Rumours are rife of the new lift being all but through planning, linking Verchaix with the top of Les Gets. Some are even selling plots on the basis they are next to the new lift. However this is only a rumour, and appears to have been doing the rounds for some yrs... (Things are definitely moving on this tho', just a case of when...)

On the whole a great place to go summer and winter, but pick your location carefully as odd season can be a very lonely place in some of these parts... Smile

Hope this helps
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AlpineAddict,
Please keep us updated on any developments with the Verchaix/Les Gets lift. This rumour has been circulating for about 5years, but your message sounds like it is gathering pace. Would add a further dimension to the GM.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AlpineAddict, yes, as simo1234 says, that would be useful. I love both these ski areas but have mixed thoughts about a link. Do you know where link is planned at Les Gets end? Hopefully not at Le Ranfolly, one of my fave runs.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
simo1234, I went to Samoens a couple of summers ago and found out about this lift and have pursued information on it ever since. I was emailed an article about 12 months ago for the local press basically saying that the lift system had been thrown out yes ago due to many factors, mainly environmentally unsound. However, new company have come back in and put plans through to the local Marie that deal with all the previous environmental issues (i.e. placing the lift through the fire breaks, making it a park and ride from Morillon, and starting the lift a lot higher up the hill).

Last summer, when I was out there, I spoke to several people (locals) who stated that the lift WILL happen, it is just a matter of when. A good friend of mine said that it will be about 4 yrs till it is open, however as soon as it is announced officially, property will fly through the roof I fear Sad

Lou, I have been shown, when out there, the actual route of where the plans are but I am not sure which lift it will top out at. I think it will be one of Ranfolly or La Rosta.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy