Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet Geneva check in

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Does anyone have any recent-ish experience of the check in 'system' at GVA for Easyjet flights please? We were there in March 07, not long after it was introduced, and it was bedlam. Two parallel queues (one inside the terminal and one outside) with these converging into one at the far end were the EJ desks are - hundreds of people, with luggage and ski bags, all trying to check in. The system then was that we had to check ourselves in on a screen, but only when the flights went up, 2 hours before departure. Without the check in papers from the machine, you couldn't join the queue to hand over those papers and your luggage, but the queue was so long - and so wide - that you coud easily miss your flight. We purposely didn't fly EJ to GVA this year because of it, but seeing the prices on the other airlines, I may need to persuade my group (OK - the husband Laughing ) that we give them another chance. Anyone able to advise on later experiences please Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its fine now as far as I have seen -usually takes about 2 mins
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
redrunmarcus, really? Shocked We were there hours! Lots of shouting and frustrations as the organisation was so poor
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
get there early and it is fine
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We arrived nearly three hours before the flight and spent every minute of that queueing and then running to catch the flight - it's beginning to sound as if we just got it on very bad day.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We take quite a few people there, throughout the season, and have never encountered any problem. You must have struck a bad day. However, as we never get there as long as 2 hours before departure, I wouldn't know what happened that early!! And I never go there on a Saturday, either! So maybe that's the secret. Geneva generally works well, and is immune from those annoying French ATC strikes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been through the self check-in system several times and the only problem I've ever had was a machine that had ran out of bag tags, they just printed a fresh set at the luggage drop for me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plenty of spare check in screens when i arrived, and waited about ten minutes to hand over the bags.no problems for me
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
never experienced any isses with EZ at GVA in several trips, usually on a Sunday or Monday night.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was there in May, and check-in was fine. Arrived about 2 hrs before departure, plenty of people but no queues, and plenty of baggage desks open to check in baggage. Security on the other hand was a loooooooonng queue!! Even worse, after getting to the front of the queue, was told i was in the wrong queue!! Could only happen to me though!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is always a desk available if you think you are going to miss your flight, they announce it 10 mins before check in closes. Can't say we've ever had a problem though, 10 minutes maximum, even on a Saturday lunchtime in March.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Didn't have a problem at EJ check-in, only hastle is that the skis have to be checked in at oversize luggage which happens to be a route march to the other end of the Terminal
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Always been fine for us.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't fly on a Saturday of half term week and you'll be fine.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll be there tomorrow. Fairly certain it'll be quiet. Wink Even the football yobs have gone home I think.

Easyjet & GVA are nothing to worry about. I'd still rather fly with someone else...
latest report
fatbob, avoiding half term by going late January, but have to travel Saturday - Saturday unfortunately.

Thanks all - feel a bit more confident now - seems we may just have hit a particularly bad day

parlor, We've tried others on this route from Manchester, but Liverpool with EJ is still the most convenient for us. Jet 2 were OK prices and service in Manchester was smooth as silk - disorganised return flights though with a phone call and email telling us the homebound flight was two hours earlier than booked, got there in time for that, to find it hadn't been changed at all and so spent 4 hours in Geneva airport rolling eyes

Thanks again Very Happy
snow report
I was thinking more along the lines ofNet Jets or Jeffersons. Wink
snow conditions
parlor, wouldn't we all! Laughing
ski holidays
Did it twice last season. Definitely much improved in April, found it easier to use the m/c after discovering you could select the language. I was not impressed with the trek to the oversize baggage drop off. The security was much slicker although there the gentlemen in black with tall hats were not pleased to show the loot in their attache cases to all and sundry. Had been upgraded to Sleasyjet when Thompsonfly cancelled their flight and did not need to be there 3 hours early that TUI seem to want to do - 1 hour would have been enough & the flight went on time & no hassel with ski carriage & weight allowances.
ski holidays
I was returning home in Feb (not half-term) and it was heaving...

It was a Saturday tea-time ish and as soon as you walked into the 'easyjet corner' people had just stopped with all their luggage, presumably unsure of the system.

Once our flights had appeared on the kiosks we checked in, then went to drop the baggage off, the ques for manual check-in were huge, and I think people didn't realise which que they were able to go through etc...

Then once we went througg to the departure area (before we had been assigned a gate) it was having in there too, people were sat all around the floor along the corridors by the shops.

I've been through Geneva plenty of times, and have learnt that I should probably try to avoid all Saturdays during the ski season!

Joe Smile
latest report
I was there in May for our end of season company trip and there were 21 of us. It was a nightmare as the self ticketing machine literally took aound 3 mins to print each ticket on a group booking. We gave up and ended up getting them to redo them at the checkin. I cant see the point of these self check in machines - does it really cut queues?
ski holidays
It may not cut queues, but certainly cuts costs for Easyjet!
snow report
My worst ever check in, anywhere in the entire world, including some very third world airports and airlines, was with British Airways in the French section of Geneva. Pathetic, and we only caught the plane because we marched illegally, with our baggage and without boarding passes, through to the international side. The reason? the phone on which you had to call through to the international/Swiss side, for someone to come and check you in, had been left off the hook. Never had any problem yet with EJ, but then I never go near the place on a Saturday. wink I don't know why people have such a problem with those self check in computers; it's no worse than queueing at the old fashioned sort of queue. Checking in for full planes on crowded days is never going to be any fun, I guess.
ski holidays
Not flown EJ, but I use the LH check-in machines all the time. Couldn't be simpler. Card in, acknowledge traveller's name and flight, acknowledge seat allocation (ok EJ is a bundle afaik - so skip that bit Wink), say how many bags, and out pops enough tags and boarding pass.
Worst bit is GVA on a saturday.
Worse still is INN on a saturday (was a disaster last time I went, and only reason people didn't miss flights was that *everyone* took forever to get checked in)
snow report
TIP.

If the Swiss side of EJ's check-in is busy go to the French Side and check-in. We did no problem, The French side EJ check-in was empty.
ski holidays
Quote:

Worse still is INN on a saturday

Hear Hear. Haven't been for a while, but we had a pretty scary landing (aborted within a few yards of the tarmac and went around again; it's a difficult airport in poor weather). On leaving we had a 7 hour delay. Desperately crowded conditions - sitting room even on the floor was at a premium. Fortunately someone in our group had a pack of cards, but with several kids, and me coming down with a very heavy cold, it wasn't fun. Conditions in Europe were pretty foggy all over, so it wasn't the airlines' fault. On arrival at Gatwick we had fortunately ordered a taxi home. Pea souper, horrible driving, and I was very glad I could shut my eyes and let a very competent and safe taxi driver get on with it. Any airport will struggle in poor conditions though - Geneva was shut for the whole of a Sunday a couple of years ago, because about ten inches of snow had fallen, which is pretty unusual. The French airports tend to suffer from strikes. On the whole, I think Geneva is a good bet, especially if you can avoid Saturdays.
snow report
Some b'stard gave me flu at Mayrhofen, and then had all the check-in hassle at INN. Weather was OK fortunately, but all flights delayed a bit. Check-in hall is so chokka with skis and boards that once you get to check-in desk you can't get back and park trolley anywhere.

Regarding GVA being shut... yep that one got me too! Lufthansa gave us free train vouchers from Frankfurt, and we arrived in GVA just as the airport was starting to open again. Chalet owner waited at GVA all day for us (but I think took 2-3 hours from Les Gets instead of 1 hour). Those from UK got flights via Zurich + train or Grenoble and private transfer. Shame about 3 plane loads of passengers that waited at FRA hoping to get standby on the 18:00 plane - hope they didn't lose too many days skiing.

Thing that does annoy me about GVA is that LH does not do self service with baggage (or at least didn't). And then the massive delays in announcing which gate area to go through to, so everyone loiters in the tiniest area between passport control and security, and very few people know about the free seating upstairs Wink
latest report
andy, actually theres even more free seating if you go through security dead ahead (not down the tunnel).

Then, when the gare is set, either you are lucky and it is available from where you are sitting OR you wander back to the middle bit and go through security for the correct gate. There ia a glass corridore/couloir with a door on each end so you can just walk back past security.

Airport abuse at its best Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lampbus, ah neat trick Smile The upstairs bit is thru passport control, turn right, and up stairs marked toward business class lounges I think. Don't tell too many people though Wink Once you're thru to each gate are there's plenty - it's just they are often late at announcing gates.

Every airport has its tricks. Rome arrival going towards car rental is a 'mare... instead go up 2 escalators to departures and halve the walk Wink Zurich iirc was something similar (but it's been a long time since I've been there).
snow report
Geneva is just too small during the ski season, and the design after check in does not help. We always end up sitting with the kids on the floor for a while. Charter check in though is ok with a bit of space the last two sundays we used it
snow conditions
andy wrote:
lampbus, ah neat trick Smile The upstairs bit is thru passport control, turn right, and up stairs marked toward business class lounges I think. Don't tell too many people though Wink Once you're thru to each gate are there's plenty - it's just they are often late at announcing gates.

I'm assuming that you've not been up there in the past couple of weeks. The site is being redeveloped and currently there are a few seats up there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy