Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Press ups - am I the only one that can't do even one?

Poster: A snowHead
This morning I did 7,7, 5, 4, 5 pull ups, so harder than the first go at pressups where I managed 15 at the end.
Swirly,

I'm afraid I'm not using a bar, but a beam in the garage that supports a partial ceiling for storage. Works for pull ups ( but not chinups as I'd hit my head on the ceiling). I'm not sure the grip would be good enough for one arm pullups. I'll give it a go when I've improved my strength a lot
Quote:

Although once again I'm climbing this weekend so I'll be doing it after a night in a tent, doing it before the climbing this time though

Is that wise - you'll be knackered before you start. I'd rather find myself pumped half way through the pressups rather than halfway through a climb at the crux move Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave Horsley, going to wales, I reckon the 2 hour walk in will be enough recovery time Toofy Grin Mind you last weekend I managed to do just that: pump out and fall off the crux and that was on a VS when I'd done an E1 with no problems less than an hour before.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave Horsley, as another person who doing exercises at home I've been wondering what you used for the dips. So for I've been doing benchdips (can manage 10 x 3 sets) with a chair for my feet and on the kitchen worktop. I can't work out what would be stable enough to do full bodyweight ones.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
peura,

I use the bath with my feet up on one end Blush . Nearest I can get to full bodyweight dips. The xc squad use a chair with their feet on the ground when doing circuits away from the gym.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave Horsley, thanks, that's about as close as I'm getting. Was hoping for a "brainwave" Toofy Grin . Do they find dips helps with XC?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
peura,
Quote:

Do they find dips helps with XC?

No idea, though they appear in the circuits we do occassionally on the Thursday night club sessions. However something is working as two squad members got their FIS points low enough last year to qualify for the worldcup and at least one of them should be racing on the circuit this coming season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave Horsley, yeah AFAICT you need to give yourself every advantage to do a one armer, I keep meaning to buy a bar as there's nothing substansial enough to do high numbers of reps on in my house. A choice between a piece of wood above the stairs which is about two finger joints in size or door frames. I try and avoid door frame pull ups after popping a tendon doing them with no warm up while drunk on a climbing trip a few years back.

Alternative methods are lock offs: get your arms to 90 degrees and hold for as long as possible or "type writers" wide grip pull ups where you pull to each hand in turn. Don't dangle on straight arms though as it will damage your elbows.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly, I started on the door frame but stopped for the sake of the door frame Laughing. Now doing them outside with a beam that someone put there.
I guess the one answer with the dips would be rope from the pull up beam.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
peura, depends how big your door frame is! This was a stupidly narrow one although consideration for the frame is important, I know of at least one person who's ripped off the architrave and some of mine have made disconcerting noises.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly,
Quote:

Alternative methods are lock offs: get your arms to 90 degrees and hold for as long as possible or "type writers" wide grip pull ups where you pull to each hand in turn. Don't dangle on straight arms though as it will damage your elbows.

I've done lockoffs whilst pulling up my knees slowly so the thigh is horizontal. I wanted to be able to go from straight to piked, but my stomach muscles are too weak.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave Horsley wrote:
My upper body isn't as strong as I'd like it to be, most of my fitness comes from cycling or roller skiing.
I've been thinking about this again rolling eyes. I'd have thought that by this time your upper body would be quite fit if you do most of your roller skiing double-poling. At least in certain parts Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
peura,

I do a fair amount of double poling, but its not the same as lifting your whole body weight multiple times. One reason for improving upper body strength is to improve my double poling. Classic races, particularly on rollers are mainly double pole races.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave Horsley, Smile yeah, I meant more from an endurance standpoint that a strength one. How are the pullups etc going?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm on to day 3 week 1 today (pressups) and tommorrow (pullups). No problems so far with the pressups, but I'm already at the limit with the pullups. Had to do 9 to start with yesterday and finished, just, with the minimum of 7. Tomorrow I'll need to start with 10 pullups. It will be interesting to see if I can actually do 10. Still at least I'm getting better. I may skip a few days before the weekend as I'm racing at Durham on saturday - got to do 15km of double poling so don't want to be knackered before I start.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Disappointed I can't increase on four chinups without a break from last week. Dips seem to be getting easier. Just for curiousity I tried to do as many pressups as I could, 33 was the answer, without any specific training other than doing some every week.
Dave Horsley, did you see the "XC ski" exercise I posted in the "biking lark" thread? I'm not sure it's quite right but it does give me ideas...
15km of double poling Shocked.
snow report
ow ow ow ow, week 3 day 1 60 sec rest 25, 17, 17, 15, max (at least 25). Just managed the sets although I don't know how as I was in agony after the first 17. Managed 27 in the max BUT had to take 3 minutes before rather than just the 60 seconds.
snow conditions
Quote:

15km of double poling

Its not so bad, you get three breaks per lap from the double poling, there are two downhills where you can tuck for a while and a steep uphill where you do double pole single kick. I'll probbaly end up having to do diagonal stride up the hill after 4 or 5 laps as I'll start tiring Sad .
snow report
Last night after the gym I started week 4 - 27, 20, 20, 17, 27

Absolute murder. I managed it but I my whole upper body doesn't like me very much at the moment.
ski holidays
just completed the last day of week 4 - 30, 22, 22, 20, 40

Felt good but still feel like I am nowhere near making 100
ski holidays
The_Hirsty,

Your almost half way there at 40, and thats after doing 94 pushups.
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, Definitely true when you put it like that. I reckon that week 5 will really put me to the test though.
latest report
Megamum, with your plaintive plea hijacked by all these guys doing thousands before breakfast, have you managed to do a pressup yet?
snow conditions
This thread has gone a bit quiet wink

I decided I was happy at 50 and will push on from there with press-ups being a part, rather than a focus, of my exercises. Is anyone on course for the 100? Are you going to post your enormous achievement to a well known video sharing site?
ski holidays
I had to take a week off due to time restrictions but am commencing week 5 today.

As for posting my acheivment, I'll have to see if I can work the video option on my camera.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 15-09-08 11:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I've had a week off - I raced (15km classic) sunday 7th and this weekend I raced both days, saturday 7.1km free technique and yesterday an 8km hill climb in classic technique. Add to that Ive had a chest infection over the whole period, so the pressups and pull ups got left out. The 15km race was poor in that I took just over 54minutes and would have expected to do it in under 50 minutes normally. The 7.1km race took me just over 27minutes, which, though a bit down on what I'd hope for, was not bad considering the wet and windy conditions. I managed the hill climb in under 40 minutes, so not too bad. If we run it next year I'll aim for under 35 minutes if the conditions are the same. Winning time for the hill race was just over 25 minutes.

I'll try and start week 2 again tonight depending on how knackered I'm feeling after cycling home.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy