Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Press ups - am I the only one that can't do even one?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I'm not very good at them, not enough core strength still (I sag in the middle) but I can do loads of sit ups, wierd eh Embarassed

I can do pressups till the cows come home, but struggle with 5 situps. If only we could trade some muscle!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum wrote:
I'm glad its not just me - I shall persevere with them I think - maybe try some of these wall ones. Sit-ups I'm doing - 30 each morning, but I wanted something for the arms too. The daft thing is that I wouldn't have thought my arms weren't strong - I've milked goats night and morning for the last 15+ years and you would think all that squeezing action would have done some good rolling eyes

The problem with that is that you have two "sets" of muscles in each arm, and I rather think that press ups put more effort through the upper arm muscles, while milking puts more through the forearm muslces.

So it doesn't directly transfer Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://hundredpushups.com/index.html ---- one to try!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnnyh, It works too Very Happy

I found the best way was to really push yourself and try and increase on ALL sets in each level as much as poss. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnnyh, That looks good I'm going to try that. Very Happy

snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, I can do them but try lying on the sofa with just your shins supported and then go from there with the press ups - that way you will get a lot of benefit without too much pain.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnnyh, Thanks for the link - day one done!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnnyh, Thanks from me too. I have also done day one, but from the knees as I could only manage one full press-up!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm just about to start the 2nd week of this. So far it has gone quite well.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I looked at it too.

But decided life is too short! Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you can't do a single press-up, power plates are a good way to strengthen your chest muscles.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, er, how do you position yourself on it to strengthen your chest muscles?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One could ask why you want to. Puzzled

I can do them, but this is because I am built like a gorilla - size 16 across the shoulders, 12 everywhere else. You want to look like that?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, in a press up position, feet on the floor, hands on the power plate. Keep your arms bent, and try and hold the position as long as possible.

Negatives are also a good way to increase your strength. Start with your arms straight in the press up position, and lower yourself to the floor as slowly as possible.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, oh right, thanks, I'm going to try that. The held squats on that machine are positively eye-watering on the quads, so this might do great things for my puny biceps/triceps.
ski holidays
Just started the hundredpushups thing, Wk 1 day 1 tonight.
snow conditions
Week 1/Day 2 today. Lower abdominal muscles a bit more sore than they should be. A tad worrying given I regulalrly do slow crunches Confused
latest report
week 2 day 2 - about to commence - it's getting hard!!
snow report
I surprised myself last night, my final max set was more than my previous max in fact it was way more. This was despite the fact I'd been at the climbing wall earlier that evening and my arms were pumped.
snow report
Kramer,
Quote:

press up position, feet on the floor, hands on the power plate. Keep your arms bent, and try and hold the position as long as possible.

Essayed at the gym this evening. Very good, definitely hits the spot. Thanks again. What with those, some shoulder press thingies, and a lot of rowing, my arms are now feeling a bit rubbery. Shocked

PS Doesn't half make my teeth rattle, though! Shocked
latest report
Week 1/Day 3 and I'm definitely getting better at them! Is it possible to get stronger that quickly or is it a matter of techique?
ski holidays
Week 2/Day 1: The set reps were very easy and I managed to get my final uncapped rep much higher than previous. Still ain't saying how many tho! Is anyone else still doing it?
latest report
saxabar, yeah, I did wk2 day 1 last night, got through the sets easily but only managed 15 in the max set, well down on wk1 day 3 but once again I'd been climbing and was pretty knackered when I started so I'm not too bothered about that, as long as it's up again on day 2 I'll be happy. The test on Saturday will be interesting.
snow report
Swirly, I'm not surprised if you've been climbing! I've stopped my normal weights regimen at home and doing this does a feel a bit of a cop out. Still, it's good to see my press-up capacity go up and it'll be interesting to see if I can make a 100.
snow report
saxabar, yeah, true but I'm not letting this interfere with my normal routine though. Wk2 Day2 was much more successful. I think I'm going to be ok till wk 5 when the recovery times drop and the reps go up.
latest report
First I've heard of it was yesterday, so I'm giving it a go, but am adding in some situps and pullups with a similar scheme of reducing reps. We'll see how it goes.
snow report
Dave Horsley, I considered doing the same for sit ups but the thought of what it would do to my abs put me off: whenever I've tried something similar I've ended up pulling them and been in pain for days. Pull ups would be pretty hard, I can do quite a few already but do them with my palms pointing away from me as a climbing thing, this often includes doing them on holds that are only to the first joint of the fingers or slopey: obviously in smaller numbers of reps here!

Keep us informed, if it works I'll try that too.
ski holidays
Well this morning I did 7,7,5,4,15 pressups, 15,15,10 situps, 25 dips and 9 and 7 pullups (palms facing forwards). I think I might do the pullups on the alternate day with the same reps as the pressups. The situps I need to reduce the number but do the full number of sets. We'll see how it goes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Week 3/ Day 2 completed last night. In total it was 105 push ups. Quite tiring but that was the biggest amount of reps this week.

I have been doing them on gym off-days so there is little recovery but I am definitely feel improvements in the upper body area.
latest report
Week 2/Day 3 finished today. I've reintroduced my normal weights routine and surprisingly they're a doddle. I thought I must have been doing them wrong but there seems to be something in this press-up lark. In week one it was my lower abs that absolutely killed, to the point where I was a little concerned. Not sure if I want to chuck crunches into the mix just yet.
snow conditions
Dave Horsley, Shocked if I understand you correctly you are aiming for the same number of pullups as pressups Shocked . Maybe it's just me but I find pullups considerably harder than pressups. I can "easily" do 60 pressups as part of the rest of my circuit (10 close hand, 10 "normal" x 3 sets) but I struggle to do more than 10 pullups total without a long gap (haven't tried this Smile). I'd be pleased to be able to do one set of 10 pullups Embarassed - that is my current aim there.
Actually I'm amazed I'm doing that many pressups. I'd looked at the 100 pressups thing and thought it a "big ask", for some reason I'd not worked out that I was doing 60. Yes I know, I have a "break" while doing the squats, crunches etc but it's still 20 consecutively and without collapsing at the end Toofy Grin.
ski holidays
peura,

My upper body isn't as strong as I'd like it to be, most of my fitness comes from cycling or roller skiing. I have done on and off a few pullups and a few pressups, and a few situps. I also occasionally visit the climbing wall. I can do around 15 pressups in one go, and 7-9 pullups depending on day. Though thats up from 5 when i first went climbing again. I'd like to be able to do 100 of each. We'll see if this program makes a difference (and if I'll be able to keep it up Very Happy )
snow report
Dave Horsley, it intrigued me how you appear to find pullups easier than pressups relative to me (I can only do about 4 in one go ATM Embarassed). I'm vaguely remembering that someone wrote something on here about cycling developing "asymmetric arms" but I was sure it was the triceps stronger than the biceps, but you seem to be the "other way round" Confused . Or, more likely I'm remembering wrongly Laughing . I've no idea but I have thought even fifty consecutive pullups was more challenging than 100 pressups due to the greater proportion of body weight lifted.
EDIT just found these World Records for Chin-Ups and Pull-Ups and World Records for Push-Ups (Press-Ups)
latest report
Quote:
with hands on raw eggs: 112

saxabar, still not saying how many? When are you doing the test before week3? I've got day 3 tomorrow and then will do it on sat, if it goes ok I'll keep mon, wed, fri for the days and sat for tests.

peura, from the area that feels sore afterwards I'd suggest pull ups (not chin ups) use the muscles of the forearm rather than the biceps/triceps.
snow conditions
Swirly, Embarassed yes quite right. Urm, it's contraction rather than extension ... (hope that gets me out of the hole I've dug for my self Toofy Grin ). Anyway hopefully my point about the increased proportion of bodyweight being lifted was valid.
latest report
peura wrote:
Swirly, Embarassed yes quite right. Urm, it's contraction rather than extension ... (hope that gets me out of the hole I've dug for my self Toofy Grin ). Anyway hopefully my point about the increased proportion of bodyweight being lifted was valid.

I believe it was.

Chins are a back (lats) exercise, which involves the biceps and deltoids (shoulders) as secondary muscle groups. Though the minor muscle groups may be the ones that tire first.
snow report
I didn't also post that I wasn't doing pullups, because, I found them too hard, but chinups Embarassed. I'm hoping to "advance" later. Wouldn't the biceps also be used in pullups as a secondary group? Sitting at the keyboard now but I'm sure mine are used when doing pullups. Of course, they're a lot more used to the exercise than my forearms.
ski holidays
Swirly, no need for me to be quite so cagey now! I've finished week 2 now with a maximum of 30 (after reps). I'm stunned with the progress as initially I could only do 12 and I was surprised at that. The test comes tomorrow and I must admit I'm quite looking forward to it Very Happy
snow report
saxabar, ha I wish I'd read that about 2 hours before you posted it, finished day 3 with 29 in my max, however, I could only do 7 at first Embarassed I think I could have probably done more now I know what it feels like to not be able to push further. I think this means I've been doing a few less in the sets than you though, should be in top group next week as I'll be pretty unhappy if I do less than 35 tomorrow let alone 30! Although once again I'm climbing this weekend so I'll be doing it after a night in a tent, doing it before the climbing this time though Toofy Grin

Dave Horsley, try working towards a one arm pull up, start by gripping the wrist of the arm that's on the bar with your other hand and move towards your shoulder.
snow conditions
Swirly, err, be sure not to do too many and fall off the mountain then!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy