Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is anyone familiar with Scotland?

Poster: A snowHead
Not a winter break, but I'm going in August.

Going in a motorhome, we plan to stop at Loch Lomond for lunch, then drive to Fort William.

Plan to stay there for 3 days.

Then drive to Skye and stay for 2 days.

Then drive to Loch Ness, spend a few hours there before driving to Loch Lomond and stay the final night there. Last day spend all day at Loch Lomond before going home.

I'm not sure where to stay. Does anyone have any recommendations for caravan parks?

Also what not to miss out on. We plan to walk up Ben Nevis whilst staying at Fort William.

We are not sure what part of Skye to visit. Will want to visit the Cuillin mountains for starters.

Same for Loch Ness - will only have half a day to visit so looking for recommendations.

I've not been to Loch Lomond either and it looks like a large national park. I know it's the largest lake in the UK but not much else.

I've got some books on the way from Amazon but I'm looking for recommendations from other Snowheads.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've stayed at the Glenbrittle campsite on Skye a couple of times. Easy access up to the Cuillins.

Some reviews here: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=1091 and http://www.bigfreeguide.com/camping/detail/campsites/glenbrittle-campsite/1807.html

Cheers,
Chris.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bikeandsnow,
Depends a lot on what you want to do. I have never been in a motorhome but when going for camp sites in Scotland in the summer try and get the least enclosed sites you can find is my general advice. Midges can be a major nuisance and having a breeze keeps the little b*****s away.

East side of Loch Lomond is much more pleasant than the west which has a road going all the way up one side . For convenience though the East can be a pain if you want a short stay and to do some walking / biking turning off at Tarbet and going to Arrochar is IMHO probably a better bet than Loch Lomond.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eagles. Ospreys. Kites.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bikeandsnow, IFIRC correctly Kramer is either there or going shortly on his bike, watch for his trip report. Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bikeandsnow, Any particular reason behind your route? I'd certainly not miss out on Skye, it's a magical place. Otherwise, I'd skip Loch Lomond - although the drive past Glencoe is mighty attractive. Tricky. I would also try and have a look round Speyside - so you could route Dalwhinnie to Fort William.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin,
He is sticking to the south of Scotland, totally different area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks people.

Mostly walking, but will be doing say 2 half days on mountain bikes. Looking for easy forest style trails because the girlfriend is strictly a novice on bikes.

David, I've chosen that route so we don't spend too much time driving.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bikeandsnow, try PMing II - he lives on Skye
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar, Thanks for clarifying that, I'm not too sure of where places are up North .....
.........of the M4 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I live 5 minutes away from Loch Lomond and there's not a great deal to be seen, avoid the A82 if poss it is a nightmarish road espesh in a Motorhome. If you want any specific info about Loch Lomond etc give me a P.M.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arv should have written / wrote:
I live 5 minutes away from Loch Lomond and there's not a great deal to be seen, due to the cloud like swarms of midgies.

I have been a midge pin cushion on the banks of Loch Lomond Mad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, if you pretend they are not there they don't bite you!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bikeandsnow, If you are coming form the south it is probably not much worse in terms of time traveeling to go via Stirling and if you want to visit Speyside (well worth it) going up the A9,or heading accross from Stirling to Crianlarich., Glen Coe Fort William.

If you do not have to decide on sites in advance it is worth waiting and seeing what the weather forecast is like it's often significantly different in the West and East. For walking and mountain biking you will not go wrong most places in the Highlands if the weather is kind.

If your girlfriend is likely to be put off by more difficult bike trails does she know what the Cuillin are like? There are a few airy bits.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, Scottish midges prefer the taste of sassenach blood! Toofy Grin
snow report
I'd agree that Loch Lomond is one of the more missable places. It's quite near Glasgow, and quite touristy and busy. Personally, I prefer Mull to Skye, but that's just me. Loch Ness is not unmissable either. Loch Lochy and Loch Oich, further down the Great Glen, are more interesting I think. The whole of the west coast is lovely though. The midges can, indeed, be horrendous. Google them - you can get some advice on how best to avoid them, though the best bet is to have really windy and/or wet weather. As it's Scotland, you could be in luck. Laughing We used to burn mosquito coils in our camper in the Highlands - and with all the windows closed, it's a bit of a pain.

It's still lovely, though, even in the rain. Take some good books. and wellies.
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:
Loch Lomond is one of the more missable places
Puzzled You don't like Rowardennan, or Inversnaid, or Loch Arklet? Ever walked along the West Highland Way? Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about rolling eyes
latest report
Timewise & scenery-wise, little to choose between A84/A85/A82 Stirling-FW or M8/Erskine Bridge/A82 Glasgow-FW except if there is a Rangers Home Match on (then avoid the M8 at all costs). A82 from Tarbet-Inverarnan is awful, awful, awful. All other roads OK.

Lunch stops probably better on A84: Picnic - rec spot Nice small carpark on left near bottom of Loch Lubnaig (after Callander); alfresco fish'n'chips in Callender - behind main st (left side) is a nice park, v quick access; or lovely village 1mi off route - Killin at base of Loch Tay. Nice river thru middle of village, v peaceful.
Also going this way you can stock up on any missing items at the Tesco Extra in Cumbernauld (your last superstore for a while).

The sight you shouldn't miss is getting on the A82 at Crianlarich (where these routes join) for the journey to FW. Do yourself a massive favour & go north this way (A86 Spean Br - Dalwhinnie is OK but IMO better west-east). Crianlarich is unbelievably small (esp as all the signs point to it from 50mi in any direction), Tyndrum has a Petrol station/sporting goods store (Green Welly) & the best caff in the area (Real Food Cafe). After BofO its up over Rannoch Moor, past Glencoe Ski centre (access chair open for sightseeing) & along the best scenery from any A road. Unmissable.

Once along Loch Linnhe try & stop around Onich & look backwards, awesome mts behind Ballachuillish. As I know nothing abt motorhome campsites my rec for a place to stay would be along Lochailort (off the A830 to Mallaig). Plenty of spots along the Loch to park up for a magnificent sunset (& a slightly rough pub at the end if you fancy feeding the midges - good seafood/OK beer).
Apart from Ben Nevis, the sands at Arisaig are easily accessible and very long and silver. Not the vvbest - too many campsites!
Castle Tioram is a ruined Castle on a tidal island in Miodart or plenty of Corbetts for a warm-up.
Further away is Ardnamurchan for Sea Eagles & the awesome Sanna Bay (deserted even if sunny & hot).
Can then get ferry to Skye or drive back to FW (stop at Commando memorial for view of the Ben). Further on A87 GlenGarry & Glenshiel spectacular but best view of 5 sisters is 1-2mi along the road to Kylerhea (just before hitting Loch Duich - can get ferry there too). Definitely do this if any chance of a view.

Someone else must know more about Skye (like II) than me so I won't say much. Just that every time I've been, I haven't seen anything but Mist (Skye means Isle of Mist).

If you must go to Loch Ness, Fort Augustus is pleasant, Urquhart Castle is mobbed with tour busses & everywhere else is far. Alts are go to Speyside (a distillery, Cairngorm to get the Funicular or Osprey watching at Loch Garten). Obviously climbing another big mt anywhere along this route. Or maybe if you're going with the bird some souvenir shopping & a pleasant river walk at House of Bruar (near Blair Atholl, signs from A9) wink They love that poo-poo!
snow report
Quote:

You don't like Rowardennan, or Inversnaid, or Loch Arklet? Ever walked along the West Highland Way? Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about
Steilhang proves Tbar's point: all these are on the East side where there is no through road. (another point for Tbar - Perrotta was correct snowHead [from another thread]).

I've made up a small selection of the sights from what I found on the computer (don't expect this much snow, some of these were taken while skiing!)
http://picasaweb.google.com/neil2829/ForBikeandsnow

PS didn't realise it auto removes swear words - I didn't say poo-poo! Embarassed
snow conditions
i'd swap skye and fort bill round. spend more days on skye than anywhere else. And make sure and drive right to the north end of the island. go for a walk along the Quairang - my favorite place on earth Very Happy

and i agree with everything that's been said above about loch lomond... you'll drive past it anyway and there's not much to do there apart from look at ben lomond and eat ice cream.
latest report
I didn't say Loch Lomond wasn't pleasant - but when you can only do a very few bits of Scotland, LL wouldn't be high on my list. there are just so many better places. Like saying the mountain scenery in Meribel is not as good as Zermatt. wink And as for not knowing what I'm talking about, that a bit rude. I admit to not knowing the whole of Scotland well - I only lived there for 6 years which isn't enough to get to know it all, given the unfortunate need to work for a living. Just one opinion! Like not liking Val D'Isere; others are free to disagree.
latest report
Dunno if this is accurate, but claims to give an idea of midge activity:
http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/2008/
They're largely not a problem, except in early evening. Camp site with a slight breeze helps, as does one of those citronella oil burner "orb of power" things. Eat marmite, drink gin, and don't use normal mozzyrep. Oh and if you're out riding a bike... don't stop at 4pm to repair a puncture!

Can't help with any sights... only been there about 15 times, and every time I keep meaning to pop over to Arran, possibly with the MTB.
latest report
Ok midges-
Citronella candles don't work when they are "out"
Normal insect repellent is of limited use
Avon skin so soft works better but is still not 100% effective - IIRC it drowns the midge when it lands on you.
When a midge lands on you it effects the nearby midges and is like a green light for all the others to land so its a snow ball effect.

The only 100% way of not getting bitten is a midge suit (fine mesh jacket with hoot) I have one of these and wear it often you look like an idiot but your the one not getting bitten.

You can also get midge nets that just go over your head these are ok for your face but don't help if your wearing a t-shirt rolling eyes

Two photos
It's not very clear but each little black dot on my hand is a midge- I had taken my glove off for about 60 seconds

Me looking happy in my midge jacket - every little white dot on the jacket and in the air is a midge.

They are worst just after it has stopped raining
snow report
T Bar: I will check out the route you mention instead. We won't be biking the Cuillin! Only basic forest style trails. Will be walking up the larger mountains.

What...snow: Thanks for the tips, I'll look into these. Those pictures look bloody good!

shoogly + pam + others: Looks like I should consider an extra day at Skye and leave out the night in Loch Lomond.
snow conditions
Bikeandsnow,
I was actually meaning that walking in the Cuillin even as an experienced walker is likely to be a bit more intimidating than biking on moderate trails as a novice.IMO.

My suggested route with my usual lack of clarity is actually two possibilities from Stirling depending on whether or not you want to go via Speyside as suggested elsewhere.
latest report
Quote:

Will be walking up the larger mountains.

Larger doesn't necessarily mean harder or better. No one has climbed every Marilyn, but it's low ones that prove tricky. In a week you would barely scrape the surface of Glencoe or Lochaber or Skye so do plenty of research. No point doing an average walk when you could have done a great one. Plenty of choice. This photo from Aonach Mor might show what I mean:

http://picasaweb.google.com/neil2829/SeasonFavourites/photo#5192922755054862242
latest report
what...snow,
Never come across Marilyns before have just googled them, an impressive list.

I think your photos are stunning by the way both lots are superb.
ski holidays
best anti midge lotion/potion is spike lavender oil, smear on but not too much, it needs to be the raw [Ba$tard] oil, a good pharmasist should be able to get it i used to get it from a freind in glasgow, i don't know its use but it worked really well agaist the wrath

as for a route, make sure you do drive the A82 through glen coe, fantastic haunting scenery, staying in fort bill i would loook at the camp site at GLEN Nevis perfect location if you do want to walk up ben nevis and about 15 mins stagger from the town after a few beers

if you like a better route up ben nevis than the tourist path, start at the golf course, via left and onto the carn mor gerage arete [spelling is way out there but you'll find it on the map] then go round the ridge walk onto the summit of the ben, to get down, use the tourist path until half way lochan and then via right the path will take you back down to the golf course where you started

mountain biking around the nevis range base lodge in the forrest is really good and not too challenging unless you want it to be, i think you cna take the bike the gondola if you want a down hill Shocked Shocked
alternative great biking around rothiemurcus estate near aviemore

enjoy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

best anti midge lotion/potion is spike lavender oil

Thanks CEM I'll try it (well actually I don't really need it but the OH def does)

Quote:

the carn mor gerage arete

Is the Carn Mor Dearg arete & is the foreground ridge of this shot with the northern cliffs of Ben Nevis behind. The walk is in the book '50 Best Routes on Scottish Mountains' by Ralph Storer.
http://picasaweb.google.com/neil2829/SeasonFavourites/photo#5192921934716108674

If you would like to see what someone snowboarding off them looks like, click on this:
http://uk.youtube.com/v/UROg_GhnnaE#GU5U2spHI_4

Bear in mind, this is from 'no snow 2007', the poor bloke broke his wrist first day out 2008 (I doubt 'gutted' comes close)

Quote:

I think your photos are stunning by the way both lots are superb

Thank you, don't do it too often or I'll go Embarassed
I can't actually see anything thru the LCD display on my ageing dented compact camera & have to take 2 or 3 shots of everything. The joy of digital. Regularly the otherwise 'best' has a finger in it. Also picasa lets you straighten them up, otherwise I usually lean to the right. Cannot claim any skill. Any mug can make sun, snow & mountain look good.

You can definitely take your bike up the Gondola at Nevis Range (confusingly it's the ski centre on Aonach Mor). I meant to mention it in my previous post (why plug 2 ski centres when you can get 3 in). They shut this year to sort the Gondola for the start of the season (they still had snow). The course regularly holds the world cup/champs so I'm not sure of its suitability for beginners. Check their website:
http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/summer/index.asp

Near (ish) is a place called Wolftracks. Think it's near Loch Laggan from memory. There might be lots of other places, I know nothing about MTBing. Dunno if thats more suitable, google it or for more info maybe try winterhighlands MTB forum.
http://www.winterhighland.info/mtb/
snow conditions
shoogly, Have to agree with you on swapping Skye with Fort William. Fort William is just not the prettiest place to place to spend your time.
latest report
from this thread : http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39185
II wrote:
Sounds about right. Only thing I would change is "Fort William is a rather dour place"
It's more than "rather" dour it's full of charity shops empty shops to let and cheap and nasty outdoor clothes shops Mad
ski holidays
Quote:

Fort William is just not the prettiest place to place to spend your time.

Generally, and with a small number of honorable exceptions, Scottish towns (and villages) are not up to the standard of the Scottish countryside.
snow report
Quote:

Generally, and with a small number of honorable exceptions, Scottish towns (and villages) are not up to the standard of the Scottish countryside

Too true. But Bikeandsnow, is in a campervan, I hope he's not planning on sleeping in Morrison's car park! My advice is check the weather regularly & go where there is the best chance of sun & least chance of midges. Mind you the met office & BBC are generally wrong: recently my mum phoned me to say 'the BBC say its 14C & raining here but there isn't a cloud in the sky & it's 26C!'
ski holidays
If its wet there are midges. If its dry there are midges. There are always midges.
ski holidays
arv, not quite, they can't fly in anything more than a 5mph wind - which is not uncommon....
snow report
David Murdoch, they are always about though, the back garden is surrounded by 30 foot trees and they seem to enjoy killing me when i'm forced into grass cutting.. Rare is a night where i'm out and theres no midges.
ski holidays
Bikeandsnow wrote:
Also what not to miss out on. We plan to walk up Ben Nevis whilst staying at Fort William.

Controversial suggestion, but I'd say gove Ben Nevis a miss. I've done it once and swore I'd never do it again. In August, it will be heaving. The Mountain Path (Tourist route/Pony track depending on what you call it) will be a long line of people walking up. You'll get to the top and share the experience with about 300 other people, look around you and see all the neighbouring mountains are empty.

Instead, go for a walk up in the Mamores. You get stunning views of the Ben without the crowds. Glencoe/Rannoch Moor is a must to drive through. Go for a wander to Steall falls, a short walk from the end of the Glen Nevis road (you could camp in the car park there if you don't need facilities). If you are going via Mallaig, stop off at Glenfinnan on the way to Skye. If you time it right, then you can watch the steam train crossing the viaduct.....an amazing sight. My (easily accessible) favourite in the area is Loch Ossian. You have to get a train to Corrour or walk in, but it is beautiful and deserted! The walk round the loch from the station is 10 miles, and could easily be biked. One side of the loch is the estate track and the other side is a good path. Leanachan Forest has some mountain biking paths, as does Laggan. Of course there is always the World Cup downhill course at Nevis Range!
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, great suggestions. It is a pity to go to places which tend to be stuffed with tourists when there is so much stunning country where you can have the landscape to yourself. A good rule of thumb for someone on a first visit to Scotland is not to go to anywhere you've ever heard of. Because lots of Japanese and US tourists will have heard of them too and be climbing in and out of their buses cluttering up the view. And in the case of the former, taking lots of photos of themselves getting in and out of the buses.
snow conditions
arv, blame the 30' trees... Twisted Evil
snow report
David Murdoch, I hear the chainsaw starting.. What will protect us from the wind when we want to pretend that we have warm summers and BBQ?!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy