Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Resort

Poster: A snowHead
Nobody has mentioned the main plus points of driving!
Baggage allowance - there isn't one
Boots in case or as hand luggage? - you have the choice!
Most important, booze cruise - just two of us in the galaxy this summer, to Potenza and back. I'll be able to cram at least 20 cases of wine and 5 cases of beer in it, even without the roof box. We'll also be bringing back at least 30 litres of olive oil, and 20 kilos of parmesan. Try doing THAT on a plane.
The savings you make on what you can bring back can make quite a diffrence to the overall cost.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Booze cruise is a very good point. Bet you could off set quite a bit of the cost.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, check that the euroteunnel sots you want are available on Tesco's tokens. When I tried to book for a summer trip, even though there was availability on the train, the allocation for tescos had gone. In the end I've decided to send the tokens back and get my vouchers back as they woudl expire before I coudl use them, I can then exchange them again fro tokens and have another go another time. Tescos said i was the second person to report this to them and they were unaware there were any allocation limitations.

I've just encountered that trying to book for late AUgust crossing - again have sent vouchers back.

Back on topic, another vote for overnight stops, we always stop around Dijon. A 6am start misses the issues at Lyon and gets us into resort around 10am with plenty of time for relaxed lunch, supermarket shop, collect passes and sort ski hire for kids.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Speed limit on the autoroutes is 130kph (80mph). If you get caught exceeding this, have plenty of cash with you. Its on the spot fines in France.

Speed limit drops to 110 (70mph approx) in rain, and the police are pretty hot on speeding in the rain. Look on the bright side; you'll get better petrol consumption at 70mph!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
youspurs1, What will you be doing with 20 kilos of Parmesan?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So for those of us who drive, what do we like to buy to bring back in the car from hols?

Think will start a thread..........
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Topsmoke, since you live quite near me does £265 sound like the right amount to be estimating to you? In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter how much it turns out to be to be honest, what will be will be, but what made me think about it again was, the other day, when the petrol light came on I put a tenner's worth of fuel in, and when the petrol light came on again I had done about 180 miles.

On that basis, then 1700 miles return journey should only cost me more like £95, which is less than half my original cost for fuel of £220 in my earlier post? Seems a bit strange that, perhaps my car is shelling out quite a bit more than 44 miles to the gallon like the dash says? Puzzled

Anyway! A bit anal I know but thought I'd ask! wink

Hi,

I dont really think my costs of getting to there and back are going to be in any way similar to yours.
I leave Cheltenham with a full tank say £55 from empty and fill twice more in France at around 80 Euro's a time + another half tank to get there and potter around.But I drive a 3 Litre petrol BMW so its it's a good £150 each way for me.
As I said I personally prefer to drive at night ,Johnnyboy and I left Bristol at 1 am in Dec this year for Val T and I think we got there early afternoon sleeping for an hour or so south of Troyes.
At night I can hold a steady 175 to 185 kmh without watching the needle move too quickly.
I still would say go at night though and aim for a 1 - 3 am crossing.

Regards Mark
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lou wrote:
So for those of us who drive, what do we like to buy to bring back in the car from hols?

Think will start a thread..........

Rolling Tobacco wink Lots and Lots of it via Adinkerke on the way back up !
Easy double on your investment every time ! (So they say)
Pays for the skiing holiday you have just been on Very Happy

Be Lucky

Mr Topsmoke
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

At night I can hold a steady 175 to 185 kmh without watching the needle move too quickly.

You've been lucky not to have been caught already if that's your normal mode of travel. At that speed I think it's true to say they can confiscate your vehicle on the spot.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w,

In the middle of the night it is hard to find a traveling car in French toll roads, let alone finding gendames to bother the motorists in darkness.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saikee, But if they do find you they can make an extra €90 if you dont have reflective vests for each passenger Sad
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=967078#967078
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BMF_Skier,
Quote:

You would save a significant amount of cash\fuel by dropping speed to 65 mph, but then you'll add hours to your journey. I tend to go for the pay more \get there quicker option.
Btw way I think you maths are wrong you said:-
On that basis, then 1700 miles return journey should only cost me more like £95, which is less than half my original cost for fuel of £220 in my earlier post?
That's approx 80 litres or 22 gallons. That would mean you car doing 75 - 80 mpg?

I know exactly what you mean about the maths! I looked at it a few times and thought, that can't be right! I think my original calculation of £265 return based on 44 mpg is right, especially as Topsmoke reckons £150 each way =£300 from Cheltenham and that's not far from Hereford and also that's in his 3L BMW and I've got a 1.2. Thing is though, regarding that tenner of fuel I put in, I did get 180 miles about of that tenner so if you look at it like that that's £10.00 divided by 180 = £0.05 per mile. £0.05 per mile times 1700 miles = £94.44.

Very strange that, my maths isn't wrong but what I can't understand is how I got 180 miles out of £10 worth of petrol! Working on that logic it should still cost less than the £265 calculated. I will just have to see how much it costs at the time, it doesn't really matter I suppose.

Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5, For me I can save about 10 mpg by going slower. So on a 1800 mile trip about £22, or £11 each way. overall, I would arrive about 2 hours earlier. Thing is, there's many other issues that can affect the journey time that you cannot plan for.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The days of bombing down south have pretty much gone... the French police have found it to be quite a bonus..especially if they don't give you a ticket..???? Puzzled Shocked rolling eyes which happened to me... and just direct you to the nearest cashpoint.

85-90 mph should do you ok as it is a decent lick. More importantly...if you feel you can do this...is to just keep going.

At these speeds most places in the alpes come into range within 10 hours, not withstanding delays.

Typically, we'd get a big hold-up due to an accident, but once we get past Rheims we can get to within 5 mins of an ETA to Chamonix...
At least that is a little game we play... and have done this more than once.. Within 15-30 mins is quite easy.

Fuel save over getting there early ...For an extra few quids, I'll get there earlier. Once I am on my way, I hate hanging around. I can't for the life of me get my head round taking 2 days...Each to their own, of course.. and with kids, maybe... but not just to stop and watch the scenery. Went down to Monterosa via Landrover once... never again... you need a decent car that can eat up miles at 85mph plus in comfort, IMV.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, thanks for that. Yeah, me too, I want to get there in one go if possible allowing for loo stops of course. Like you, once I'm on my way I just want to keep going. My Renault Clio has got amazingly comfortable seats, nice and spongy so hopefully my a*se won't be aching too much. I'm thinking 80 mph will do me.

Can't wait! Only 5 months to go, sigh.

Very Happy
latest report
VolklAttivaS5,

Just read through you initial plan and it sounds fine to me... and take that rest day on the saturday as I have arrived in resort knackered and it can be hard to recover.

So, start the journey refreshed... the ferry is good for this as you can eat and lay-up and be ready to hit the road running...but use the boring tunnel to do the same. Take a supply of food as the stuff they leave out over night is a bit naff and not so cheap either.. Coffee, fuel and toilet stops only really, IMV.
You'd be surprised how much time you lose with half hour stops, but if you have to, you have to.

It looks like you will be in Tignes the same time as a few of us (Tignes boot camp )...so hopefully you'll look us up...

You'll make good time to Dijon...should be just over 4 and bit hours from Calais if you are travelling briskly...and then you'll lose time once you start going up hill. Albertville, Moutier, BSM will take an age and then it is about 35-45 mins to Tignes in a car, IIRC. But 10 hours easily, IMV

BUt if you have to take a break, don't worry about it...you're on holiday, no real deadline to arrive...no need for stress
ski holidays
JT, thanks. Yes, re the boot camp I have already suggested to holidayloverxx to meet up with fellow Snowheads those weeks in Tignes, although I'll be on a course for 2 of the weeks so I won't be able to meet up as easily at that time. Saturday 13th will be alright though.

Do you think it's still ok to leave Hereford at 6pm as per the original plan and get a crossing about 11pm-12 midnight? I was hoping all the Friday night rush hour traffic in the UK will have subsided by then?

Good idea about the food supplies. I won't worry about having breaks, I'd rather get there in one piece than not at all.

I reckon if I set off at 6pm from Hereford, catch an 12 midnight crossing or earlier if I can, I should be in Tignes (allowing 3 hours in total for loo stops and coffees plus fuel) for 1pm. Earlier if I don't stop as much. Then a good kip to recuperate and get up in time for afternoon tea and when the rest of them arrive knackered after waiting round in airports and on a transfer coach for 4 hours from Geneva. Very Happy

Another good thing about taking the car is that you don't have to worry about repacking your dirty laundry back in your suitcase-I can just keep a dirty washing bag in the car and load it up as I go along!
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, #

Don't know about Hereford... I have done just west of Birmingham...-Shrewsbury..?? in 3 hours and 15 from Kent.

Heathrow (M40) to the tunnel should take about 2 hrs if you can go straight through and all the friday traffic on the M25 should be gone by 6pm latest normally, IME.

Cross at 12 midnight means you get out the other end of the tunnel about 0145 CET and straight onto the road to Rheims. If the trafiic is ok then I can see you getting in resort well before 12 noon.

Keep in touch with Hol-lover about meeting up
snow report
JT, well Shrewsbury is about an hour and a half from here, maybe 2 hours so that sounds good as Hereford is further South obviously. It takes me about 2.5 hours to get home from Heathrow so it should take about 4.5 hours to get to the Tunnel.

Will be great to get to resort before 12 noon. At least if I'm getting to France at about 0145 CET as you suggest then the roads upto Tignes should be cleared of snow if it snows by then as it'll be about 10am by time I get to the mountain road.

Excellent, thanks!
ski holidays
Whatever time you get to resort the roads are likely to be clear of snow.....it's France, it's The Alps...they're geared up for it!!
ski holidays
marcellus, even if you were getting to resort in the early hours of the morning? Say 5am?
latest report
yes....they keep going all night to keep the main roads open...some of the really small roads might struggle but not the roads into and out of resort......if you're not use to putting on chains and then driving in snow I'd strongly advise that you arrive early afternoon......that way you'll not be too tired when it comes to putting on chains and you'll be able to see what you're doing...
latest report
marcellus, I'll have winter tyres on and so hopefully I won't need chains, although I have got some just in case. I hope to arrive late morning/midday so I should be able to see fine to put the chains on if need be.
snow report
Quote:

Whatever time you get to resort the roads are likely to be clear of snow.....it's France, it's The Alps...they're geared up for it!!

Generally fairly true, but one way they keep the roads clear is by being strict about people without chains - and stopping them from proceeding. In bad weather - the wrong kind of snow or whatever - it's not uncommon to need chains as well as snow tyres. Depends a lot on your car, some are far better than others. The first big falls of the season can sometimes take them by surprise - desperate struggle to get those huge chains on the ploughs. As though they hadn't thought that it might snow!
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, better hope you need the chains, because it will mean you're about to experience fantastic skiing!
latest report
too true pam w........last season we had new m&s tyres on a 4x4 and still often needed chains..............this season we'll have full snow tyres t see the difference
latest report
Have just ordered my Clubcard Deals tokens for the Eurotunnel crossing. I thought I'd be better off booking the crossing asap since I know what date and time I want etc etc. Had a look at the terms and conditions and I couldn't see anything about them not being able to be used for certain crossings?

When you drive with snowchains on, do the tyres grip really well or do they still slip a bit? I don't want to end up driving over the edge of the road and down the bank or something. Is it the same as driving in snow here (albeit not very much snow here in the UK-but iwhen it does it causes chaos! rolling eyes ) i.e slow speed and low gear, not too much acceleration?
ski holidays
There is world of difference between ordinary tyres and snow tyres, they will transform your snow performance drastically IME if they are a reasonable brand.

I'd take them off as soon as I got back to the UK tho unless it was going to snow here
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought I'd put them on in November and take them off after our winter, I read on another thread that it's ok to keep them on until April time and I hope to drive to France perhaps another time in the season so might as well leave them on. I don't use my car a great deal anyway when at home so it won't matter to leave them on there until I go again.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5,

They aren't fool-proof so give them a chance to work... so just drive carefully and thoughtfully...leave the bombing around to the locals.
If you have to use snow tyres or chains, give them a little test to see how they react and then drive accordingly... they can both slip if you hit ice or hard stuff so don't drive faster than the conditions allow.. You haven't got a real problem hill IIRC all the way up to Tignes...just a steady incline with no switchbacks.....you'll be fine, and if it snows..rejoice...

We will be rain dancing anyway..Laughing
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5,

Don't expect them to last as well as normal tyres so you might wear them out quicker, thats all
ski holidays
JT, whats "no switchbacks" on a road? Glad it will be light when I drive upto Tignes anyway and I expect I'll have at least one other car to follow. Hope people don't drive right up your a*se on these mountain roads urging you to hurry up!
latest report
Snow tyres will wear out quicker than normal tyres as they use much softer rubber........it's also very difficult to actually buy true snow tyres in the UK.

Switchbacks = Hair Pin bends like these;

Make sure you've got chains, make sure you know how to fit them (practice at home in the sun shine) and then drive carefully
snow report
I've bought some RUD Easy to Go chains. I was going to get some GT Radial Champiro winter tyres from www.mytyres.co.uk that Spyderman used and he said that they were really good when he drove to resort.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5,

The only ones I know are Xredsteins which are the dogs doo-dahs..but they may be expensive.
I'd go with Spyderman's call if he says they are good.

The road upto Tignes is nothing like marcellus's picture which would be a problem in snow, for sure, but snow tyres could expect to cope there. Your road is postively sedate by comparison ..it will be a doddle
ski holidays
These GT Radials are £50 each so about mid range. I'm sure they will be fine.
ski holidays
Quote:

slow speed and low gear, not too much acceleration?

highest gear possible; less wheel spin. Accelerate very gently. Brake even more gently. They do drive up your a@rse; ignore them. Check the speed rating on the tyres (the final letter - K or L or whatever). Our first snow tyres, bought in France, were supposed to be kept below 50 mph. The ones we have now (and we have four, which is much better) are rated up to over the legal speed limit. The road up to Tignes is easy peasy. Except when there are landslides....
snow report
pam w, oh yes sorry I did mean high gear as in low wheel spin. Duh. Speed rating on the proposed tyres is upto 130 mph so plenty. I will be buying 4 new tyres so no probs there.
snow report
Fogliettaz wrote:
youspurs1, What will you be doing with 20 kilos of Parmesan?

You wouldn't believe how much we get through, but we give quite a bit away instead of souveniers - always much appreciated.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy