Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee In Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hiya, it's that planning time again. We are considering a trip to Saas Fee in January next year, it will likely be a short break due to the usual family commitments. A few questions for you:

a) Has anyone driven to Saas Fee from the UK? Route planner suggests 9 huors from Calais does this sound reasonable?
b) Does anyone know anywhere that is likely to offer short stay accomm in Jan?
c) What's the resort like, pictures and comments i've seen are very positive? To clarify we would be looking for an attractive resort with a nice mix of on-piste skiing for mainly intermediate skiers, ideally with some nightlife but a few good places, rather than endless average ones.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. Feel free to suggest other suitable alternatives too Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski-finder, Saas Fee is quite stunning visually. It's well suited to your group level. It's a car freee resort, so you will need to cost in the price of the car park at the entrance of the resort, or consider staying in one of the satellite villages Saas Grund, or Saas Almagell which have their own little ski areas.
For short stay, try either Interhome, or the main tourist office. I have stayed there on short stay, just turned up and asked for a hotel! Not recommended!
For the journey, that's 9 hours' driving...
Nightlife can be as loud as you want..or not. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbunny, thanks for that! Sounds like it fits the bill really well indeed! I'm guessing from the stats (Resort at 1800m, and skiing well over 3000m) that it's pretty darn snow sure too! Too early to get excited, especially with a pregnant Mrs... but I can't help myself!!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski-finder, I love the resort - "The Pearl of the Alps" they call it. Should be no problem for a short stay at that time of year. 2 star try Gletschergarten 3 star try Artemis. 4 star try the Metropole 5 star The Ferienart.

Great nightlife, really friendly - try Nestis between 6-9pm - usually some nice girls behind the bar. verey snowsure - have skied into resort in May on many an occasion. skiing is good for a weekend but a little restrictive for longer - do not go off piste without a guide and proper equipment as heavily glaciated.

Have fun. Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nickster, thanks Nickster... again it does sounds ideal. Do you think a last minute (a few weeks notice) booking of accomm would be possible?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski-finder, the Saas-Fee website has an online reservation system we have used a couple of times for short stays there, each time with relatively short notice. On these occasions we stayed either at the Ferienart (very smart) or at the Dom (different).

Enjoy your stay.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Derek Jackson, just had a quick go on the booking system and it is indeed excellent... a wide selection too (altough admittedly it's currently June 08!!!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski-finder, yeah I do as generally many hotels will hold out for a full week and at the death will accept shorter stays but this is always a risk depending on how full the resort gets. generally I find that the resort can accommodate short breaks if done in advance now and I dont think they tend to offer much reductions if last minute maybe a pound or two but massive for short breaks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski-finder, You're correct about it being pretty snow sure (and also pretty itself!). I was there in Christmas 2006 and there was plenty of snow, even on the resort level beginners' slopes. You can see some video I took of the village and slopes which I posted on the snowMedia Zone here
As others have said, the village itself is car free (electric only taxis), but there is a large car park at the entrance to town - I guess you can find information on parking rates on the Saas Fee website. I know you were talking about a short break, but if you do stay a week the Saas Fee area week long ski pass included 1 day skiing in Zermatt (which is in the adjacent valley)- the tour operators did minibus transfers but if you have your own vehicle obviously you can drive yourself, although you will need to park it for the day in Täsch and do the last part by train, since Zermatt is also car free. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink, thanks for that!

Anyone know how i play a .wmv file on my Mac?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski-finder, Sorry it's the wrong format for you, but a quick google search shows Microsoft does a free wmv player software download for Quicktime here

Note it specifies certain minimum system requirements regarding the Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or later and Quicktime Version 7.0 or later.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink, sorry that wasn't meant to be rude, I really do appreciate both the comments and the vid. The download did the trick too Toofy Grin

Looks pretty steep down from that restaurant!! Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski-finder, No worries, I didn't think you were being rude at all Very Happy - in fact reading my last post I can see that you might have thought my reply was being sarcastic, which was not my intention either. It's easy to see how internet misunderstandings can easily arise! Toofy Grin

PS There are a couple of runs (including a blue) down from the Restaurant, so it's not as bad as it looks! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saas Fee is lovely! I went there for my honeymoon. I'm really picky about the beautifulness of my ski resorts, and I wasn't disappointed. We booked through www.saas-fee.ch and found a place called Aristella. Slightly tasteless decor, but perfectly functional and with a fantastic view from the balcony. it was only about £30 a night too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy